Counter That Pokemon! - Round 20

RE: Counter That Pokemon! - Round 18

I don't think Chansey would work if Volcarona had Leftovers > LO. Here's a small turn by turn play out of what would happen, assuming max damage output from Volcarona.

Turn 1- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey switches in
Turn 2- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Toxic

The next turn is up for debate since Volcarona is pretty much fated to die after Toxic, but I'll keep going.

Turn 3- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey at about 50%), Chansey uses Wish
Turn 4- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Protect (Chansey about 100%)
Turn 5- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey at about 45%), Chansey uses Wish
Turn 6- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Protect (Chansey at about 95%)
Turn 7- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey about 33%), Chansey uses Wish (to preserve HP)

I'm not even sure Volcarona would be alive by Turn 7 due to Toxic and LO recoil, but that's a turn by turn layout assuming the opponent takes advantage of Chansey's Protects. Using Wish on the last turn of Volcarona's life ensures Chansey can get back to about 93% to be useful for the rest of the match. My math might be a little off, and yes I know Burn can happen from Fire Blast, but even so Chansey could kill Volcarona early on with Seismic Toss and switch out, activating Natural Cure (and Fire Blast has 10% chance for burn anyway so the chances are low, but possible, I admit).

I probably don't have to argue this much that Chansey works because TPO3 posted the best counter anyway, but I know Chansey sounded like a shaky counter and I just wanted to clear it up.

The Yoshi said:
I don't think Chansey would work if Volcarona had Leftovers > LO. Here's a small turn by turn play out of what would happen, assuming max damage output from Volcarona.

Turn 1- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey switches in
Turn 2- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Toxic

The next turn is up for debate since Volcarona is pretty much fated to die after Toxic, but I'll keep going.

Turn 3- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey at about 50%), Chansey uses Wish
Turn 4- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Protect (Chansey about 100%)
Turn 5- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey at about 45%), Chansey uses Wish
Turn 6- Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, Chansey uses Protect (Chansey at about 95%)
Turn 7- Volcarona uses Fire Blast (Chansey about 33%), Chansey uses Wish (to preserve HP)

I'm not even sure Volcarona would be alive by Turn 7 due to Toxic and LO recoil, but that's a turn by turn layout assuming the opponent takes advantage of Chansey's Protects. Using Wish on the last turn of Volcarona's life ensures Chansey can get back to about 93% to be useful for the rest of the match. My math might be a little off, and yes I know Burn can happen from Fire Blast, but even so Chansey could kill Volcarona early on with Seismic Toss and switch out, activating Natural Cure (and Fire Blast has 10% chance for burn anyway so the chances are low, but possible, I admit).

I probably don't have to argue this much that Chansey works because TPO3 posted the best counter anyway, but I know Chansey sounded like a shaky counter and I just wanted to clear it up.

Who posted the best counter? Because I believe mine is just as well >.>

Teapot posted heatran which is a far better and reliable counter to volcano moth then chandelure who can only switch in once or twice at most.

And this Chandelure also doesn't have to STALL the Moth, it can simply squash it. It's just a matter of circumstance as to which is better. No counter can be inherently better than others in all situations, because no set covers all situations. If it counters, it counters. End of story.

No its not really a counter. Its a check. It takes over 50% of its health taking bug buzz or giga drain while heatran can function throughout the entire match until its like 20% of its health. Heatran is a better counter, I'm not sure how you can argue it.

Shadow Scyther said:
Dragonite Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
Careful Nature
252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def
Dragon Tail
Thunder Wave
Roost
Substitute

Resists every attack and can either paralyze or phaze the boost.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Dragonite (+SpDef) : 36.53% - 43.01% (2-3 hits to KO)

Volcarona has a chance to 2HKO with Fire Blast (one on the switch in then one after).

EDIT: With SR of course.

Does anyone else remember the hipster running bulky chandelure in early early BW? iirc the moveset was like WoW/Flamethrower/Shadow Ball/Pain Split with max HP and investment in either Speed or defences. lol, the good old days. That would be a pretty effective check if it were running HP Rock, but its really gimmicky.

252/252 spdef arcanine with flash fire works about the same but its hardly practical :p Flare Blitz ohkos and it has 66% recovery with sun boosted morning sun though

Chillarmy said:
Does anyone else remember the hipster running bulky chandelure in early early BW? iirc the moveset was like WoW/Flamethrower/Shadow Ball/Pain Split with max HP and investment in either Speed or defences. lol, the good old days. That would be a pretty effective check if it were running HP Rock, but its really gimmicky.

... except Chandelure didn't get Pain Split until BW2.

unsheathed said:
Chillarmy said:

... except Chandelure didn't get Pain Split until BW2.

Litwick and Lampent learn it via level-up.

Everyone who posted something got points. TPO3 gets best defensive and Shadow Scyther gets best offensive.

Gonna spice things up this round to keep you on your toes, and because I'm lacking ideas.

[animate]forretress[/animate]
Forretress @ Custap Berry
Sturdy
Careful 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Rapid Spin

Post a set that this Pokemon counters.

Don't know if I'll do more rounds like this or not, but I need to update this thread more frequently.

RE: Counter That Pokemon! - Round 19

I'll give it a try, I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to counter anything when it has no damaging moves and no recovery moves...

[animate]celebi[/animate] @choice scarf
Timid nature
Trait: Natural Cure
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
~Leaf Storm
~HP Ice
~Psychic
~U-turn

...I dunno lol

Re: Counter That Pokemon! - Round 19

Astra said:
Everyone who posted something got points. TPO3 gets best defensive and Shadow Scyther gets best offensive.

Gonna spice things up this round to keep you on your toes, and because I'm lacking ideas.

[animate]forretress[/animate]
Forretress @ Custap Berry
Sturdy
Careful 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Rapid Spin

Post a set that this Pokemon counters.

Don't know if I'll do more rounds like this or not, but I need to update this thread more frequently.

Do you just want sets to counter? Because I have Smogon's old database on file, I can give you a few.

As for the subject at hand:

EDIT: DISLEXIAMAN STRIKES AGAIN.

I am out. This round makes no sense.

You can pretty much slap a Choice Scarf on anything that doesn't hit Forretress for lots of damage, but ok

380.png

Latias @ Light Clay
Levitate | Timid
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor

Latias has no way of defeating Forretress. Draco Meteor does nothing to it, and when Latias is low on HP it commits suicide through Healing Wish. Sure it can set up screens, but it dies to Toxic and does nothing in return.

This round is a little weird because you're asking us to get countered by the Pokemon we're trying to counter. But if you're running out of ideas then ok. Why not try other tiers? It could use for some more experience. Ubers and UU could be a start. You're running out of ideas because this is OU exclusive.

How about instead we do what we did in the Tentacreul round where we tried to prevent Tenta from spinning / setting up hazards? It's a crafty idea because it makes you look at what exactly countering is. In my opinion, countering is preventing a Pokemon from executing its strategy. If Forry sets up its hazards (I consider beating it at one layer as countering), spins hazards, and / or walks out the conflict alive, then you've failed at countering.

... or we could do a UU and RU version of counter that Pokemon to spice things up.

I think there are offensive sets that lie in BL, UU and RU, eg. NP LO Azelf, Staraptor, Venomoth (can be quite a pain), LO Amoonguss, SD Virizion, etc. Some threats in UU and RU are difficult to counter, but just do not show up often.

There are still some sets I'd like to see hre, such as CB Herracross, Sub Hydreigon, and SF Nidoking. We may be reaching a bit further into the barrel, but we certainly haven't exhausted hard-to-counter OU viable pokemon.

I don't why this died again but here's another Pokemon to counter. I stole Chillarmy's idea.

[animate]nidoking[/animate]

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Sheer Force | Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast

Chansey and Blissey may not be submitted for this round. If the set needs changes let me know. unsheathed's conditions will be used for this round to determine the best counters, so good luck.

Back