Dragonite w/ Choice Scarf
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spd
Outrage
Earthquake
Extremespeed
Aqua Tail

Dragonite can live through a Fire Blast and OHKOs with Outrage next turn.

Chillarmy

El problemo?
RE: Counter That Pokemon! - Round 18

Aerodactyl @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 HP/252 Spe/4 Att
Adamant

- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Eh... its a shaky counter, but it works. Aerodactyl can take any +1 hit and OHKO with Stone Edge. Really everything that counters Offensive Volc has already been mentioned.

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member

Aerodactyl is OHKO'd by sun-boosted LO Fire Blast.

Choice Scarf Dragonite is not viable at all, especially with an adamant nature. Dragonite isn't built for Choice Scarf with its base 80 Speed and crippling Stealth Rock weakness. Speed isn't even an issue for Dragonite when it has Extremespeed and Dragon Dance. Plus, Salamence exists with Moxie and base 100 Speed.

I'd like to change the way this is run to generate better sets being posted. Quite honestly, I'm tired of seeing things being posted that really would never beat the Pokemon in a realistic battle situation. Take the Terrakion above for example. On one hand, it does counter under the conditions Bippa listed (lives after SR and finishes Volcarona off.) At the same time though, it does not take a realistic approach to things. The Terrakion is living with barely enough health to be of use later or even counter Volcarona later in the battle. Under realistic battle situations, Terrakion is not a counter since it can only "counter" once.

I propose from now on counters should accomplish at least two of the following. I believe these all to be traits of a true counter, not "take the hit, live, and ohko":

a) the counter is able to switch in to or take the threat's strongest coverage move at least three times.
b) same as above, but two times.
c) the counter is able to ohko or 2hko the threat with one of its moves.
d) the counter is able to stall the threat out without any risk.
e) the counter is able to cripple the threat without being taken out itself.
f) the counter is able to use its own strategy, like setting up, without any risk from the threat.

Chillarmy

El problemo?

252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl in sun: 248-293 (68.13 - 80.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And in our defence, Volcarona is nearly impossible to counter 1v1.

PG24

Advanced Member

You forgot to factor in Stealth Rock and the possibility Volcarona is +1 in your calculation. In terms of the set, Aerodactyl should be running EVs in Attack and a Focus Sash. Otherwise it's being outclassed as an offensive SR user by Terrakion and Garchomp and thus not viable.

And the thing about Volcarona being impossible to beat is untrue. Every Heatran set works (falls under every category I listed), Chansey works (by a few I listed), and Blissey sometimes works (pretty sure sun is the reason it doesn't). If it's really that hard to come up with stuff, it can just be made where players get bonus points for each category the counter falls under. That way people are reworded for posting the actual counters.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

It's been almost 2 months since I've competitively battled. I still got it ;3

Shadow Scyther

pkeboch pls

Dragonite Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
Careful Nature
252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def
Dragon Tail
Thunder Wave
Roost
Substitute

Resists every attack and can either paralyze or phaze the boost.

The Yoshi

Wumbo

I agree with you, unsheathed. Quite honestly I only posted Terrakion because I couldn't think of anything else XP. In the future I'm going to try my best to find a counter that works under the conditions you provided. I kind of rushed this round because I saw Volcarona and immediately thought Terrakion, but I admit it was a unrealistic counter. Not bad in my opinion, just unrealistic. Thanks for the advice.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

@PellOfTheTundra: Not exactly.

252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure in sun: 214-252 (81.99 - 96.55%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

also going to add a link to Unsheathed's post in the OP. Start following it.

PG24

Advanced Member

Astra said:
252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure in sun: 214-252 (81.99 - 96.55%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Nope, Chandelure has Flash Fire.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

Curse this Calculator!

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Chandelure: 90-106 (34.35 - 40.45%) -- 43.36% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona in sun: 336-396 (108.03 - 127.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yuppers, it works.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

No one shall question the almighty Chandelure.

BTW my name is Chandler.

The Yoshi

Wumbo

After taking unsheathed's suggestions into consideration, I'm going to change my counter. Terrakion wasn't cutting it unless I wanted to assume a team member had to fall for it to be effective. So let's try again:

113.png

Chansey @ Eviolite
Natural Cure | Calm
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
-Wish
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss
-Protect

Chansey works as a better counter then Terrakion because it switches in on Volcarona and can absorb any hit with its pink fat. The set is pretty self-explanatory; due to Volcarona having LO it will eventually fall victim to recoil, so Chansey can simply use Wish + Protect to restore its HP, and maybe wear Volcarona down with Seismic Toss and Toxic.

Edit: Updated damage calcs below.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

And does Chansey kill Volcarona if the Volcarona starts setting up Quiver Dances? I'm not sure, I'm legitimately asking.

PG24

Advanced Member

Dark Void said:
And does Chansey kill Volcarona if the Volcarona starts setting up Quiver Dances? I'm not sure, I'm legitimately asking.

Before figuring that out, change the spread to 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef Calm. It's better on a statistical average.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

Or you could go 32 HP/252 Def/224 Sp.Def. That's my standard spread.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member

PellOfTheTundra said:
Or you could go 32 HP/252 Def/224 Sp.Def. That's my standard spread.

252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP is the best Chansey can do to maximize its defenses. The reason is that its HP is already so high at a Base 250 and the fact that it has Eviolite makes the EVs do 1.5 times the boost.

The Yoshi

Wumbo

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 183-216 (28.5 - 33.64%) -- 98.78% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 304-359 (47.35 - 55.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 485-573 (75.54 - 89.25%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

:D I'll change the spread. Chansey does work because it wears Volcarona down with Toxic + Seismic Toss before Volcarona can kill it.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

Are you sure it will die before it can 1-shot Chansey? Did you also factor in burn chance?