Consoles - Cleaning, Maintenance & Storage

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
This thread aims to be a place where people can share their problems, solutions and ideas for keeping a console - from any company, portable or not and pc included - clean, and also share how they keep their consoles - when playing with them and when stored.
This is not for electronic or mechanical issues.

My main problem with consoles is that, even with clean and washed hands, the area around the buttons and D-pad gets a little dirt - namely when playing in the summer - and it gets worse when the button itself has some lowered parts and fissures where the dirt gets stuck and it's hard to remove. I can't use a blade since it would scrap it so I just use my nail or a tip of paper.
Is there any way or official product/protection to avoid this?
I just wished people could send the consoles to the manufacturers and pay them for the cleaning. :(

I also have a peculiar problem with the analog sticks from my Playstation consoles. I keep them stored in the bottom of my closet or another place where temperatures remain stable and aren't harsh and when I go get them to play, the sticks always have a greasy substance. I recently found out that it's our body oils, so it's nothing to be that worried about.

As for my keyboard, ever since going to college, I started eating in front of the pc so my keyboard would get the toll, namely with bread crumbs so I just wrapped it with plastic wrap. Now, not only it doen't get filled with bits of food, but the keys don't get dirty! :D

When it comes to maintenance, after playing, I cover my home consoles with a of cloth to avoid getting dust.

As for storage, I keep my home consoles stored, like I've said, in the closet or a room with a stable temperature but my portable ones just lay around, in cases, because I use them the most. As for the cables, that's a different story since I don't store them in some particular space, and that's why, perhahps, the metal tip of my DS charger is getting rusty.

RE: Consoles - cleaning, maintenance and storage

At tech stores you can get cans of compressed air for keyboard/computer cleaning. They usually come with a very small plastic tube that you can affix to the nozzle for very fine cleaning; this is good for keyboards, of course, but I've also had luck using it to clean console controllers and portables, especially along analog sticks. For specifically difficult parts, I'll use a toothpick, sometimes with a bit of acetone or gu-gone on the tip to remove sticky substances.

I didn't knew about that, thanks for the tip! ;)

For those with any Nintendo device games or Systems with connectors that have gold teeth.

Use a Q tip and Rubbing alcohol to clean connectors and teeth of games and consoles. DO NOT SOAK THE TIP. Just carefully get a bit on the tip to clean any derbis and use a dry Q tip to wipe any excess away. Then let everything rest for 24 hours before using your systems and games again. This IS Nintendo's procedure on how to keep the teeth free of derbis. DO NOT BLOW ON CONNECTORS OR TEETH. This actually adds derbis over time so don't do it. This also saves you the price of the professionals and shipping.:)

xxashxx said:
For those with any Nintendo device games or Systems with connectors that have gold teeth.

Use a Q tip and Rubbing alcohol to clean connectors and teeth of games and consoles. DO NOT SOAK THE TIP. Just carefully get a bit on the tip to clean any derbis and use a dry Q tip to wipe any excess away. Then let everything rest for 24 hours before using your systems and games again. This IS Nintendo's procedure on how to keep the teeth free of derbis. DO NOT BLOW ON CONNECTORS OR TEETH. This actually adds derbis over time so don't do it. This also saves you the price of the professionals and shipping.:)

What are gold teeth? Are those the tips of chargers and the entrance to it on the console?
When you explain that method, for example in the tip of the charger, does it include both inside and outside?

Thanks!

No the gold teeth are the teeth on the game cards or cartridges like on the NES SNES N64 DS DSi and 3DS & 3DS XL & the DSi XL. I am not sure what Nintendo recommends for the GCN Wii & Wii U though. Oh yeah the same thing goes for all GAME BOY systems as well too. Use this method for those systems too. Don't ever do it on your chargers XD. Just the games and connectors on the consoles that use teeth connectors that I described.:)

xxashxx, I've been meaning to clean the gold teeth of my Nintendo games, thanks for mentioning that!

I've never really needed to do more than basic cleaning on my games/systems, but I'll write what I know.

First, if you have a console that smells like cigarette smoke (or any other kind of unpleasant scent I guess, but this is what I've experienced), I find cleaning the outside with a lysol wipe/clorox wipe/windexed paper towel and leaving it outside to "air it out" works fine. The time you have to leave it outside varies depending on how strong the stench is. I got a Wii off of Craigslist that I had to leave outside for 4 days or so and clean on a repeated basis, while certain cartridges I got only needed to be outside a few hours. Don't forget to bring your stuff inside if it rains/snows, and don't forget to wash your hands afterward.

Gamecube memory card connectors seem to wear out after a while. I'm not sure how to fix this beyond keeping a spare one in case you can't use it anymore, or just not removing it from the system.

I tend to keep in my consoles in a room temperature (or near that temperature) room, although I don't think cold affects them too badly. My basement was rather cold most of the year and that's where my consoles spent a good amount of their time.

If your Pokemon Gold/Silver game won't save, or your Ruby/Sapphire game doesn't keep track of time anymore, it is likely that your catridge's battery is dead. You can replace the battery using a certain kind of screw head. I won't post any links since I haven't done this myself, perhaps someone who has experience can do so?

Also, maybe this thread would be more useful if someone made an index and organized all this information by topic. Or someone could copy-paste all this information and organize it that way.

Oh yeah you need to do that with those as well. My cards are now 12 years old and they still work. Never use any cleaning fluid on any of the consoles. That can actually damage the unit over time if any gets into the connectors or controller ports. To clean thee use a damp cloth but not soaked cloth. Just put a dab of water on the cloth and wipe away excess derbis or dust. I am not sure how to keep the lense clean though.:)

Omanyte said:
xxashxx, I've been meaning to clean the gold teeth of my Nintendo games, thanks for mentioning that!

I've never really needed to do more than basic cleaning on my games/systems, but I'll write what I know.

First, if you have a console that smells like cigarette smoke (or any other kind of unpleasant scent I guess, but this is what I've experienced), I find cleaning the outside with a lysol wipe/clorox wipe/windexed paper towel and leaving it outside to "air it out" works fine. The time you have to leave it outside varies depending on how strong the stench is. I got a Wii off of Craigslist that I had to leave outside for 4 days or so and clean on a repeated basis, while certain cartridges I got only needed to be outside a few hours. Don't forget to bring your stuff inside if it rains/snows, and don't forget to wash your hands afterward.

Gamecube memory card connectors seem to wear out after a while. I'm not sure how to fix this beyond keeping a spare one in case you can't use it anymore, or just not removing it from the system.

I tend to keep in my consoles in a room temperature (or near that temperature) room, although I don't think cold affects them too badly. My basement was rather cold most of the year and that's where my consoles spent a good amount of their time.

If your Pokemon Gold/Silver game won't save, or your Ruby/Sapphire game doesn't keep track of time anymore, it is likely that your catridge's battery is dead. You can replace the battery using a certain kind of screw head. I won't post any links since I haven't done this myself, perhaps someone who has experience can do so?

Also, maybe this thread would be more useful if someone made an index and organized all this information by topic. Or someone could copy-paste all this information and organize it that way.

Perhaps when there's more questions and answers and it turns somewhat hard to find those, I'll put all the answers (with all due credits) in the first post.

Athena said:
At tech stores you can get cans of compressed air for keyboard/computer cleaning.

Usually once a year (Summer) I take my computer out in the backyard to blow some dust of the system, I use the whole can on my computer because there is so much dust around the computer and in my room.

For keyboards I like to take out all the buttons and sweep over with some kind of wet cloth while buttons is in a warm water bath, then set it back together, works fine everytime

RE: Consoles - Cleaning, Maintenance and Storage

Every couple weeks, I unhook my consoles for a cleaning. I use a can of compressed air to spray out my systems and get the dust out. I use clorox wipes to wipe down the surfaces of my systems and then dry them off with a normal towel. This method has always worked for my own systems.

I've seen some pretty nasty systems come through. The wipes work great to get stains and whatnot off both the console and the cords.

If you think stored data could be lost, all Nintendo consoles allow you to save things on the SD card, and the Wii and Wii U are designed to use the USB as well. Sorry if this didn't help!

HoOhLugia said:
If you think stored data could be lost, all Nintendo consoles allow you to save things on the SD card, and the Wii and Wii U are designed to use the USB as well. Sorry if this didn't help!

It does help with maintenance, since having the data stored in other place does help reduce the fear of losing the data when cleaning since...nothing will be lost, so I see no problem with your post. Also, it's another way of storing the console -keeping the hardware without the save data.
I didn't knew that and I apreciate it! ;)

I have a Crystal cartridge that has some annoying dirt inbetween the plastic seams
is there some way to get it out without unscrewing the actual cartridge?

Vulpix-core said:
I have a Crystal cartridge that has some annoying dirt inbetween the plastic seams

Just to ask, what are you afraid of if you unscrew the cartridge?
I find this way very safe to clean old GameBoy games, I have never had problems with it.

Vulpix-core said:

For the consoles, Athena has suggested a can of compressed air, so it might also work on the game cartridge, though I don't suggest that since I never used one.
On the other hand, you can use a cotton swab, a toothpick (don't do much strenght so not to scratch the cartridge. If any of these fail, you can use your nails.

I just want to pop in and say

Xbox 360's suck when it comes to maintenance

We have to keep ours constantly dusted off, and on a weekly basis blow out the vents. I kid you not, the smallest bit of dust and the thing revs like an engine. It's not even in a dusty area. >_>

Also yeah it's completely safe to unscrew cartridges, just make sure you're using a Nintendo screwdriver. And obviously don't go fiddling with anything that doesn't need messed with.

ArceusTrainer said:
Vulpix-core said:

I find this way very safe to clean old GameBoy games, I have never had problems with it.

I get too nervous and my hands shake and sweat on everything
I might like
mess up a connector
or something. I don't know.
I'll try it if it's really that easy but I'm real afraid of messing something up.
Also, how easy is it to replace GBC cartridge batteries?

Vulpix-core said:
ArceusTrainer said:

I might like
mess up a connector
I'll try it if it's really that easy but I'm real afraid of messing something up.

Well its very very hard to mess up a connector, for changing battery, its the same thang, very easy

If you have a soldering iron you just heat up the solder and replace the battery with a new one and solder it back on

If you dont have any soldering iron you can just open the connectors and replace the battery then tape it back together, worked fine for me with over 5 games.

Vulpix-core said:
ArceusTrainer said:

I might like
mess up a connector

You can try asking a relative or a friend to do that for you.
Regarding what Arceus Trainer said, you can always check some videos on youtube on how to replace the internal batteries. I've seen a couple of them and I remember that same advice of using tape in case of not having a soldering iron so you'll be seeing the advices you read above.

Back