Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

Professor Palutena said:
For Pangoro, I would use: Parting Shot, Sky Uppercut, Crunch and Poison Jab on a Choice Scarf set. Parting Shot is the only reason to use Pangoro seriously, so it's best to maximize the chances you get to use it..
Use Hammer Arm instead of Sky Uppercut. It's a scarf set, so you'll be switching out a lot anyway, so the power is worth the speed drop.

Hey, I just got a protean Froakie (now a greninja) and I'm wondering how to build an effective Protean Greninja. Cam someone help?

Not completely sure what you mean by "build." Are you asking for the appropriate ev's and moves?

Most probably yes.
Greninja is good as a fast Special Attacker/cleaner. Here's a set:

Greninja w/ Protean @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Timid Nature-4HP, 252SpA, 252 Spe
Surf/Hydro Pump
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
U-Turn

Yea, that's what I was asking. My greninja has Careful nature though. And there's no way I'm switching it out for another. My cousin took a lot of time breeding for a shiny froakie for my birthday.

No problem man, he was just suggesting the best nature for it. If you can't get it it's not a big deal, just follow the rest of the build. It won't be perfect for competitive play or anything, but I'm sure it can still be useful. (And beautiful, shiny Greninja are awesome!)

What should I run on my Arcanine, max HP or max defense?

Ability: Intimidate
Item: Expert Belt
-Wild charge
-Extreme speed
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz

It has max attack too. I was thinking HP to reduce the issue off all the recoil from wild charge and flare blitz, but defense could help on switch-ins. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

You're running an offensive moveset, so max out Speed instead or switch to a defensive set. The defensive set is arguably better, but keep in mind that neither are viable in anything above UU. If you want to keep using an offensive set, LO would be better than Expert Belt.

What moves should I run on Gardevoir

What moves shall I run on my Gardevoir?
I have shadow ball, it's spAtk and speed.

It depends on whether this is OU or VGC. For OU you should use this set:
Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Chocolate death, I would try to fit in mat block, it will allow free protect of your ally so you can try to maximize damage output on that first turn

Without the Gen 5 Move Tutors, I'm trying to make my Pokemon be as competitive as possible. I'm going to be running a Jolly Tyranitarite set but do not have access to Ice Punch (or Fire Punch). I noticed Tyranitar can learn the fang attacks. Would Ice Fang be a viable move instead of Ice Punch or should I go for other coverage with Crunch instead?

My current moveset in mind is looking something like:
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge
-Crunch / Ice Fang
-Earthquake

Thoughts? All help appreciated.

Crunch gets a Same Type Attack Boost (STAB) on Ttar and is resisted by fewer types, so in many cases it will be a better choice than Ice Fang. Ice fang also has redundant coverage on Flying Types with Stone Edge while leaving you no way to destroy Psychic and Ghost types Tyranitar is usually meant to counter.

One other thing to note (but not all that important) is that Rock Slide might be desirable over Stone Edge. Sure it loses the raised crit chance, but when used with Dragon Dance, you gain the chance to flinch your foe. It does have slightly lower base power (not felt too much since you're already boosting your attack), but that is offset by increased accuracy. Stone Edge is still very effective, so don't switch it unless you really want to.

iSharingan said:
Crunch gets a Same Type Attack Boost (STAB) on Ttar and is resisted by fewer types, so in many cases it will be a better choice than Ice Fang. Ice fang also has redundant coverage on Flying Types with Stone Edge while leaving you no way to destroy Psychic and Ghost types Tyranitar is usually meant to counter.

One other thing to note (but not all that important) is that Rock Slide might be desirable over Stone Edge. Sure it loses the raised crit chance, but when used with Dragon Dance, you gain the chance to flinch your foe. It does have slightly lower base power (not felt too much since you're already boosting your attack), but that is offset by increased accuracy. Stone Edge is still very effective, so don't switch it unless you really want to.

Appreciate the response, thank you!

I agree, Crunch is probably something I need. Along with a Rock STAB which I haven't decided yet. So, do you think Ice Fang is worth it at all to deal with Pokemon like Landorus or Gliscor? Or is Earthquake stronger coverage? Or will it depend on the rest of my team? =P

Without Crunch you still kill the grand total of one Ghost type and all the Psychic types in OU, so it really isn't necessary. Stone Edge should be used over Rock Slide, because even though the accuracy is better, a 100 base power STAB move coming off of a 164 base Attack (iirc) is too good to pass up. The reward outweighs the risk, imo. There are certain things you will miss the power against, which are basically anything you will be using Stone Edge against such as Rotom-W, Clefable, Azumaril, and Scizor. I would still run Ice Fang because you can use it to hit Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp pretty hard. You OHKO Gliscor and Garchomp, iirc and that's more useful than Crunch.

Cinesra said:
Without Crunch you still kill the grand total of one Ghost type and all the Psychic types in OU, so it really isn't necessary. Stone Edge should be used over Rock Slide, because even though the accuracy is better, a 100 base power STAB move coming off of a 164 base Attack (iirc) is too good to pass up. The reward outweighs the risk, imo. There are certain things you will miss the power against, which are basically anything you will be using Stone Edge against such as Rotom-W, Clefable, Azumaril, and Scizor. I would still run Ice Fang because you can use it to hit Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp pretty hard. You still OHKO Gliscor and Garchomp, iirc and that's more useful than Crunch.
A +1 Rock Slide off the same base 164 attack doesn't really miss any key KOs a +1 Stone Edge gets without a lucky crit. Also Eviolite Infestation Dusclops makes it's way around OU too, you know. Crunch would be the best way to deal with it since you'll be dead before you can set up enough to take it out otherwise (Burn+Infestation kills in 4-5 turns [without leftovers/recovery available] with Seismic toss shortening it further. Rest easily stalls for an extra turn or two, especially on a burned Ttar). RS/SE could still easily take out Gliscor/Lando-T at +1 before they can KO you (even if you get knocked down to +0 by Lando-T's Intimidate. Lando's defenses aren't that high). Garchomp (especially the mega) could pose some problems, but Chomp has its own set of counters designed to deal with the bulkier variants. I do know what I'm talking about. These lesser used options that most people shoot down are are still effective and I have found several of these 'unorthodox' moves to be just as effective in past teams. I'm still not saying it should always be used, and while I did present RS as an option, I clearly stated it was not the preferred one.

Stone Edge is still better than Rock Slide, even considering the +1. 37.5 less power after STAB is something you often can't ignore.
Crunch vs Ice Fang is something that really depends on the team. If you want Ttar to sweep, you must first eliminate any Pokemon that can halt this sweep. Depending on the team you have and the coverage you get, Ice Fang/Punch may or may not be more useful than Crunch.

I never implied Dusclops was bad or anything, but it's used so little in OU (less than .01% of teams, and hovering at around the 150-170 mark)that it's pretty much not worth packing a move to take care of it when you could find another move useful. Stone Edge can still hit Gliscor hard (it doesn't OHKO like Ice Fang does), but it doesn't even 2HKO physically defensive Landorus-T at +1. There's really nothing specific you need Crunch for while Ice Fang hits relevant OU Pokemon harder. I know you didn't say Rock Slide was the preferred option; I was just further pointing out why Stone Edge is the better option. Stone Edge doesn't get any specific KO's to my knowledge, but it's a stronger neutral hit things like Rotom-W, Clefable, Azumarill, Scizor or whatever so it can let you take them out in one hit after previous damage more easily and is therefore the better option. I never insulted you or said you didn't know what you were talking about so there's no need to get so defensive.

I suppose I can post this question here but if not, let me know...

So, I've been trying to catch a decent Modest Yanma with Speed Boost for hours... I got these two:

first Yanma's IVs (in order HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Speed):
14 - 8 - 10 - 15 - 10 - 29

second Yanma's IVs:
14 - 11 - 3 - 31 - 21 - 3

I really want to keep the second one because (this is me just being picky but wtv) it's caught in a Net Ball while the first is in a boring Ultra Ball and I really like the 31 IV in Special Attack but the Speed IV is so low I'm not sure... Does Speed Boost compensate for the low Speed IV?

Which one should I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back