Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Escavailer Moveset

What is a good 6th Gen moveset for Escavailer? i really like the design of him and think he would fit in my team preety well, i just dont know a moveset for him.

any help would be great, Thanks!

RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/ Pursuit

The first two moves are mandatory, Drill Run hits switchins like Mawile, Charizard-X, Heatran and Mega Lucario, and the last slot depends on either preference or what helps your team the most.

Re: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

yh that was the kind of set i was looking at, I didnt know escavailer could learn drill run but happy days he can!! Thanks for your help!

I have a fairly simple question. (in vgc 2014) Does Dark void smeargle work, and if so, please help me with a moveset. I have tested a scarred one before but I am not a fan. Any suggestions?

Re: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

what is a good moveset for Typhlosion in 6th Gen?

Any help would be great:D

zavtac said:
I have a fairly simple question. (in vgc 2014) Does Dark void smeargle work, and if so, please help me with a moveset. I have tested a scarred one before but I am not a fan. Any suggestions?
Spore Smeargle is still viable. The only things it can't put to sleep are grass types and mons with Overcoat/Aroma Veil/Vital Spirit/Insomnia/etc. which are not too common (or at least usually aren't more than 1-2 per team). iirc DV has always been banned in past VGCs, so I don't really see why VGC 2014 would be any different.

Its not banned. It can be used. It's not broken at all; T-flame generally keeps it in check, as many other priority do. But I was just wondering if anyone had tested it yet and has a good spread and move set. Spore is pretty terrible though. Vgc 2014 DV smeargle ftw.

QUESTION: Which Mega's have the highest atk and/or speed after abilties?

I'm trying to make a Mega team (pun intended) of six mega's but who to run... Trying to choose the best megas with highest atk highest speed and highest special atk. After abilities. So maybe a list with all megas in order of atk after abilities, then speed then special atk?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not that simple. Megas work entirely differently than their non-mega forms (in most cases) so you're more likely to lose if you carry 6 mega stones. Only one pokemon can be mega evolved at any point on any team. This means once you chose to mega any single mon, you will NOT get the option to mega any others, even if the mega is KOd. In general, carrying multiple megas (even if just 2) on the same team is not a good idea as it seriously limits what the pokemon not chosen to mega can do later in the game. As for genral utility, I'd have to say the top 3 megas currently allowed XY OU (by relatively standard banlists) would be Mawile, Scizor, and Garchomp. If you're not going by tiers/banlists, you could also try Kangaskhan and Gengar, but beware Mega Kangaskhan has limited options despite being over-centalizing when used correctly in competitive play.

The best megas do vary between VGC2014 and Ubers and such. If you were aiming for a mega for Ubers, I would suggest either Mega Blaziken or Kangaskhan. I feel as if the best mega in OU would be the dog. (Lucario) Which I wouldn't be surprised to be banned soon. For VGC2014 I'd suggest, once again, a kangaskhan or Maw paws or venasaur.

What i mean is by stats and data like on serebii.net list of top 100 in atk, def, spd etc..which megas (all of them listed In order :highest to lowest) after abilties has the best atk, speed, special atk..I'm only running 6 Pokemon that can mega evolve..but I'm making sure if I can't mega evolve them, that I can still use them. And use them we ll. That's why Im picky on my moves and abilities. I don't follow the tier list or worry about nature, or breeding to get the perfect pokemon..I stick with what I can get.as long as it has the right abilty I want for the team I'm not big on the competive thing.I just like running only.megas right now...finally..they r strong. I only do super training a bit to..I just play for fun. I might play in a tourny bit don't plan to win.just enjoy.it. same thing goes for the tcg.

Anybody have a good moveset idea for a Hawlucha (Jolly; 31/31/31/x/31/31; 252 Attack and Speed, 4 HP)

Can't find a thread for this, but I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble downloading their Digital Player ID for the Beta Competition? I registered and was accepted on the PGL, yet I've been trying to download my ID for the past forty-five minutes to no avail. Help?

King Xerneas said:
Anybody have a good moveset idea for a Hawlucha (Jolly; 31/31/31/x/31/31; 252 Attack and Speed, 4 HP)

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
Sky attack
Acrobatics
Swords dance
U-Turn/Substitute

This is my moveset that I like. Hope this helps.

I have only just heard of the abbreviation IV (Individual Values), so I don't know what it is. Pleas don't criticize me, for I know a lot about Pokemon (I know you wont, anyway) but does it have something to do with a Pokemon's stat growth?
And what are EV's? Sorry about that...

Individual Values, aka IVs, are a hidden number determining the stats of your Pokemon. Each Pokemon has 6 IVs, one for each stat, and each IV can take a number from 0 to 31. The highest the number, the closest the stat will be to its maximum number. For example, a Pokemon with 100 Base Speed at Level 100 will have 31 points of Speed less if it has 0 instead of 31 IVs in Speed. The IVs of a Pokemon are numbers associated with it and can't be changed, So if you want to reset a Pokemon's IVs, you'll have to catch/breed it again.
Effort Values, aka EVs, determine the stat growth. A Pokemon can have a total of 510 EVs spread across its stats, with the highest number of EVs possible in a stat being 252. At Level 100, every 4 EVs are increasing the stat they're invested in by 1 point, meaning that a Pokemon with 252 EVs in a stat will have 64 more points in that stat than a same Pokemon with 0 EVs. EVs are earned through battle, medicine (e.g. Protein) and Super Training. In Super Training, it's easy to keep track of which and how many EVs a Pokemon gets. Things are a bit different in battle. Whenever you KO a Pokemon, your own Pokemon that scored the KO will gain from 1 to 3 EVs. The amount and kind of EVs depend on the Pokemon-if you KO a Gardevoir, for example, you'll receive 3 Special Attack EVs. Every Pokemon awards a specific set of EVs when defeated. Also, unlike IVs, EVs can be reset. Using the stat-reducing Berries (e.g. Tamato) or a Reset Bag, the Pokemon's EVs decrease, so you are able to train it again and give it the EVs you wish.

I've been looking at some Pokemon battle strategy vids and such lately, and most of them recommend Psyshock for psychic-type STAB over Psychic. Psychic deals more damage ... is Psyshock using Defense instead of Special Defense that big a deal? I'm just not getting it.

Nobody prevents you from running Psychic; however, being able to attack both defensive stats is quite big of a deal. If you have good type coverage, you literally can't be walled. Take Chansey, for example. Alakazam's Focus Blast is super effective, however, a Psyshock will do more damage. Of course, there are drawbacks. One of them is power, the other is a possibility of a physical defender walling you (though there's no defender that's as good physically as Chansey and Blissey are specially). In the end, it's your choice and how your team functions. If you pack only one physical attacker, it's good to run Psyshock in case that attacker is beaten. If you pack three physical attackers, Psyshock is more redundant.

Ahh, okay. I wasn't thinking big-picture on that. Thanks!

Is Protean Greninja still any good?

Sounds like a silly question, but I can't figure out if I'm just playing him wrong or if he's actually not as good as he was hyped up to be. I run him as a Suicide Lead with Life Orb (in random 3v3 matches, may I add, not full-blown 6v6 matches). Thinking about getting a Focus Sash instead, but don't want to grind the BP before asking. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back