Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

OU is generally the best tier for a new player to start in, because it is known as the standard meta game tier that players participate in. However, UU and NU are also fun choices to start off with, although the Pokemon found in these tiers are a little unorthodox. For example, in NU you have 1 HP Shedinja and Truant Slaking, and in UU you get Illusion Zoroark and other weird Pokemon. However, some players feel that is what makes the tiers so fun to play in, and if you're looking for something more than the standard game, try out the lower tiers. However, OU is usually the best for a newer player (although some could argue that it is complete garbage right now, an argument I choose not to participate in).

If I were to make a Counter Blissey, how best would I go about it? I know I'll need Seismic Toss just for a basic move, so that fills up three slots (Softboiled being the other one). Do I need Aromatherapy as well or is that just an option, and if I don't use AT, what's the best choice to go in the fourth slot?

As far as EVs and such go, I know I'll need Bold 252 Def (I'd get a Calm, but I don't think I have a Calm Ditto in my Emerald right now), but where would the other 258 be dumped?

It's been a while since I've done this and I want to know what changes I need to make to adapt to Gen 5 (since I know my Gen 4 CounterBliss won't cut it).

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled
-Counter
-Toxic

Some things could be tweaked, but that's pretty much a standard Support set with Seismic Toss replaced for Counter. If you'd rather use Wish, then go ahead, and Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic.

Looks nice, but why'd you replace Seismic Toss at all? It kinda ruins the surprise factor. Why not Seismic Toss instead of Toxic?
(Also, lol using Wish in VG)

Like I said, the set is tweakable. This set is risky because Blissey only gets to use Counter once before the opposing Pokemon KOs it, so Seismic Toss would just be filler. But I've never used Counter Blissey, so it's up to you.

And did you mean VGC? Yeah, Wish isn't used in VGC, but it is used in OU play :p

No, I meant VG. Wish on Chansey is event-exclusive...and thus it's basically impractical/impossible.

I might use Toxic AND Seismic Toss and ditch Aromatherapy, to keep my options open, since I won't be losing that much by removing AT. (Plus, I already have an AT Blissey lying around, so no big loss.) It's also going to cost less (24 BP instead of 72, and BP are very hard to get in Emerald).

Thanks very much for the feedback!

I have know idea where to ask this, but are there ratings in Pokemon Online.
If so how do you check them?

Right click your username and click the option "View Ranking". Then just adjust the rankings to the appropriate tier.

Oh, cool. Thanks.

Hi, I was wondering if putting moonlight on cresselia on a rain team would be worth it. Right now my Cresselia has icy wind psychic protect and thunder wave. Any other suggestions to chance cresselia's move's would be greatly appreciated.

Rain drops Moonlight's healing to 25%, so no.

To add to that, Moonlight on a Sun team would totally work, since it increases Moonlight's healing to 66.67%. And Cress does mesh well onto Sun teams, so...yeah.

Try this standard Cress set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
-Icy Wind/Thunder Wave
-Psychic
-Light Screen/Reflect
-Helping Hand/Rest/Moonlight

Though Cresselia probably won't be available for VGC '13 iirc, here's a standard Cress set. You can also try more unorthodox sets like Choice Specs, but the standard set is the set most players use.

What is a viable set for Shuckle, Not Power trick?

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Encore
-Rest

This set is extremely passive, but it walls pretty much everything. You can always switch the nature and EVs to make a physically defensive set. The basic idea is to set up SR, then stall out with Toxic and Rest off damage. Encore is for set up sweepers that will be locked into their set up move if you predict correctly. Other options for fun Shuckle sets include Acupressure, Shell Smash + Contrary + Power Split (to boost defenses to even larger levels), and Wrap/Bide to turn Shuckle into a psuedo-Wobuffet (but it is outclassed by Wynaut).

Sorry to ask another question so soon, but what would be the most viable moveset for gliscor providing gliscor now has access to roost again? Also I am using a defensive playstyle.

You can try: Substitute/Roost/Earthquake/Toxic

And also to add on to that, what things do you think that needs improvement in this Genesect set?

Genesect @ Leftovers
Trait: Download
EVs: 168 HP / 80 Atk / 192 SAtk / 68 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Tri Attack
- Hone Claws
- Giga Drain

First off why are you using Hone Claws when you have all special moves with perfect accuracy? Obviously there's the first problem. Other problems your set has is lol coverage and the EVs are very weird (attack evs with no physical moves? really?).

Outside of that, scrap that entire set and use the sets I'm about to give you.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Great scout and revenge killer for most things (watch out for mence). Easily keeps up offensive momentum and wears down teams with Download and U-Turn.

Genesect @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

One of the hardest sets to keep in check and is easily able to punish any defensive core. The only problem here is that the speed will sometimes let you down, so it might be best to go with the above set.

Black_Zekrom22 said:
Sorry to ask another question so soon, but what would be the most viable moveset for gliscor providing gliscor now has access to roost again? Also I am using a defensive playstyle.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Ice Fang

Last slot you can also run Taunt or Stealth Rock if you're feeling really ballsy.

I'm starting to EV train a specially defensive Gardevoir (still a Ralts), and I'm wondering what moveset I should give it.

I'm currently thinking:
Gardevoir @Lefties
Careful Nature
Trace
4 SpA, 252 SpD, 252 HP
-Wish
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Psychic/Thunderbolt

Set up Screens, and Wish when HP goes down. Psychic/Tbolt is so it isn't complete Taunt Bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back