Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

What's the maximum EV level to where you can use wings? Is it like vitamins which cap at 100?

@Hyperbeem:
Bulbapedia said:
Wings can be considered a less powerful version of vitamins; unlike the latter, however, they are not subject to the 100 EV cap. Like vitamins, they are consumed after use. Each one gives a Pokémon one effort value (EV) in a particular stat.
Seems really amazing, but slow.

I was ev training my lvl 21 litwick, while holding a macho brace, in speed on lvl 8-11 purrlion and i counted up 252 evs (100 from vitamins, the other 152 from wreckin the purrlions) but i never got a number other than +1 in speed when i leveled up. I dont know if i didnt do something right or what is happening. I just wanna know if he did get the evs and if they will just show up at a later time or something.

If you get Exp., you get EVs. That's the rule and there are no exceptions to it.

The only way you'll get +40 or something in speed is if you EV train at like, level 98. Depending on your Pokemon's base stat, you'll see higher gains more consistently, but don't expect to see your stats jump like +10 (or even +5) every level.

I want to get into competitive battling but to be honest I don't have a clue where to start, will anyone be so kind as to point me into the right direction?

First I would learn about EV's. I can explain that right here.

EV = Effort Value

Each Pokemon has an invisible number attached to it, which hold effort values. EV's are basically points you accumulate. There's 6 different types, one type for each stat on a Pokemon. Now this number isn't there for nothing. It has a huge use - it increases your stats. For every 4 EV's in a single stat, you gain 1 extra point. Now, there's also limits. Each stat can have no more than 255 EV's and you can't have a total exceeding 510. Now, since EV's count by 4's, only 252 EV's will be useful in a single stat. So generally the max EV's you can have in a stat is 252, competitively. You can distribute EV's however you want. You gain them by battling Pokemon. Every time you get Exp Points, your EV's increase. Each Pokemon has it's own EV value it gives.

Zubat = 1 Speed EV

So battling 4 Zubats gives you 4 speed EV's. That will increase your total speed stat by 1 point. Once you reach 510, you no longer earn EV's. Also, lv. 100 Pokemon cannot be EV trained since they don't gain Exp.

I would also learn about basic team styles. This may include Heavy Offense, Bulky Offense, Stall, Semi-Stall, Balanced, Weather, etc. You also need to learn about each Pokemon's sets. Once you play competitively for a while, you will learn what to expect from most Pokemon, which will also aid you in the art of prediction.

My suggestion is to go onto Smogon and read many of their articles. Some of these can be found in the Smog, and a lot are just on the main site. I'm sure you can find them easily.

If a Pokemon has all of it's EVs that it needs, will any more training be necessary after level 51 for a Flat Battle? I ask because I am currently under the assumption that EVs are applied upon each level-up. Or are they actually spread out very carefully up to level 100?

As of gen 5, EVs are gained the second you earn them. You just don't see them applied until you level up. But they're there. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get your ribbon until level 100.

Alright so im new at this and i have a question. So i bred pokemon to get a solosis, and i wanted to max out its HP so i gave it 10 HP ups to start of at level 1 and it didnt change my stat at all. then when i leveled up the stat olny went up by 2 and sometimes 3. Could someone explain to me whats going on here, thanks

I have a quick question about breeding a Feebas for
Competitive use as a Milotic;

Okay so,
I got:
3 Relatively Superior Feebas

1.) Neutral Nature Fantastic SpDef
2.) Sassy Nature(+SpDe, -SpD) Fantastic SpDe and SpD
3.) Quiet Nature(+SpA, -SpD) Fantastic SpA
What should I use, or should I keep breeding?

Depends on how you're using her. Milotic's niche is that of a bulky Water with an instant recovery move. She has great defensive stats and a good defensive (and offensive) typing, and unlike a lot of tanks she has decent Special Attack.

In B/W, Milotic faces competition from Jellicent as a tank due to his access to Recover (the one thing that made Milotic stand out from other bulky Waters in the first place), Will-o-Wisp, Ghost typing (arguably a blessing and a curse), and two really sexy abilities. Milotic still has Mirror Coat on him, although its usage is limited. Use Calm or Bold.

As an offensive presence, she fights for a team slot against all the other bulky Waters out there (especially Suicune who can Calm Mind). She has 100 Special Attack and all that natural bulk (plus Marvel Scale to help absorb status), so an offensive set is still viable. Your best bet is to use Modest here so as not to take away from that bulk.

tl;dr Don't use natures that take away from Milotic's defenses. Bold or Calm for defensive sets, Modest or Timid for offensive sets.

I'm attempting on working on 2 seperate teams for B/W. I was wanting to make a Rain Dance team and also a Hail team. Basically I need any and all suggestions/help you can provide me cause I'm really new to the whole competitive battling thing. Also, even though I know it's not competitive at all, I wanna have Luvdisc on my Rain Dance team (tis the fiancee's favorite Poke X3) Thanks in advance for all the suggestions/help I receive ^^

I have a question: if you breed a male pokemon with the DW ability with a ditto, does the baby pokemon have the DW ability ever?

@winterchevalier, For a hail team, cryogonal, beartic, and reuniclus handle well (mandibuzz is a maybe). As for luvdisc heres a set I came up with:

Luvdisc
-rain dance
-heal pulse
-scald
-safeguard
252 hp 252 sp def 4 spd
Swift swim
Damp rock
Bold

Thankies Hyperion~ I've never made a team based around a certain move/ability so I was a little unsure how to do it X3

@JJ Tops: First off, you only gave it 100 EV's out of 252 in HP. Next, you WON'T notice a stat change till level 100, where his HP stat will be 25 more than what it would have been had you not used the vitamins.

Ok i have a quick question, well 2 actually. First of if the lady inside the building north of the pokemon center says that my pokemon put in a great effort does that mean my EVs are maxed out and can i train my pokemon against any other pokemon if my EVs are maxed out. Im asking tthis cuz i dont want to start training my pokemon to level 100 and then screw up the EVs cuz i battled a random pokemon. Someone please answer my questions.:D

Rock normally does x2 to Bug, and x1/2 to Steel. Since Scizor is both, the effects cancel each other out.

But everybody knows Rock beats Scizors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back