Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

Ok. Thanks TDL. I had CB 'dos, but CB Haxorus is probably better, considering how evily high his attack is. My main problem has been volcarona though, if it comes in on an attack it can take and gets a boost on it, it usually carries a hidden power and the right other moves to rain on my parade.

well i posted in the wrong thread... so here it is in the good thread =P:

hi guys...

i'm busy with making international teams... but i don't know how i can make a very great team!

what i now do is:

i'm making teams with NO double weaknesses... such as: no pokemon with a double weakness for ice.... if i'm ready with making this kind of teams... i'm gonna give them move's with the weakness he got such as... snivy got a weakness for fire... well... then i'm gonna learn him a ground/water/rock etc... type attack....

is this a good method for a good team???

with my teams i olso never train EV's or IV's... i have read many of EV's... but i don't know if it is right what i'm thinking.... so i ask that too... what i think is that you need to train ur pokemon with such as a carbos... first.. 10 of them give 100 EV points.. if i'm right?? and if i want to train more EV's i need to battle a pokemon wich has the highest of that kind of level??? but what i don't know is... wich pokemon i need to battle for what stat??

i olso wanna know what IV's are... what i have read are this points a pokemon has if u have hatched him from an egg... but what can i do with this IV's? and how can i know what ''IV's'' my pokemon has?? i have already tried to calculate the IV's of my tynamo i just cought on the serebii calculator... but i don't really know what to do...

i hope you guys can answer this questions.... i feel like a noob right now because i'm playing 8-9 years the pokemon games right now:headbang:headbang

hey... i finnally find out how to train EV's ;) i got now a zaroark with 252 EV's in Special attack :D but now i want to get my zoroark's speed EV's to 252! on wich place i need to do that?? he is just level 34... and what i saw is route 3 for basculin... or... a bridge for swanna... but i think that is not a good idea because they can be at the level 50... so what do you suggest??

Surfing on Route 3 seems like the best spot; the Basculin are only Lv.5-15, and are 100% encounter rate. Basculin gives 2 Speed EVs.

i'm making teams with NO double weaknesses
That isn't a bad idea, really. However, the thing to make sure of first is you want to make sure your team has switch-ins - i.e. cover your weak points with other members of the team. For example, if you know or think someone's packing Earthquake, run a Flying-type or a Pokemon with Levitate. If you predict Thunderbolt, switch to a Ground-type. If you predict Ice Beam, switch to a Water- or Steel-type, and so on.
i olso wanna know what IV's are...
IVs (Individual Values) are numbers that each stat has on a Pokemon, and as soon as that Pokemon is generated (either via encounter in the wild or via egg), those numbers are set permanently. They range from 0 to 31, and the higher the number the higher the stat will be (it equates to that much higher by 1 point per number at level 100, e.g. an IV of 20 in the stat will be 10 points higher than an IV of 10 in the stat, provided everything else is the same).

As for IV calculators? I use this one. It's basically input and go, and it shows the possible range of IVs. At higher levels this range will thin as the number becomes more accurate. (One way to test for level 1 Pokemon's IVs is to take them into the Battle Subway and note their stats at level 50, then calculate the IVs from that.)

Does that answer all your questions?

Okay thanks all :D this really help! But 2 questions... My pokemon has pokerus and the pokemon i fight with.. Has 1 ev point per... And my pokemon is wearing an macho brace... It has 4 ev points with battleling one pokemon am i right?? And is there olso a calculator for EV's??

Macho Brace: Doubles EVs granted from battle
Power Items: Gives 4 additional EVs of a particular stat in addition to whatever a KO'd Pokemon gives you, for each battle
PokeRus: Doubles any EVs given from battle, after the effect of a Macho Brace or Power Item is applied

So yes, a Pokemon that gives 1 EV per kill instead gives 4 with Macho Brace and PokeRus (1*2*2 = 4)

okay thanks all for help my! i got now a full EV trained zaroark :D this EV's he got:

4hp/252 sp. attack/252 speed :D

i'm gonna make a nasty plotter from it :D

I posted this earlier on chat and got a response to it but I'm going to repost it here for anyone who wants to give their input.

I have a Jolly Bagon with its Hidden Ability, and the following IVs:

31/15/11/31/15/27

It already knows Outrage. So given those, is Mixmence possible?

I was told it would be iffy and Naive would be preferable (and I agree with them), plus my original plan was to go for outrageous Moxie boosts. I cannot get any egg moves off of this, since Outrage on Moxiemence is only possible when wished straight from the Dream World.

But could I get away with running maybe 1 special move?

I think it would be fine to run a semi-Mixmence like that with Outrage, EQ, Fire Blast, and something else. The Fire Blast is mainly just for Skarm, Ferro, and Forretress, and it should do a lot of damage to all of them even with a Jolly nature.

Is there any item that increases the duration of Trick Room?

Unfortunately, there isn't one, nor are there any abilities to set up a longer Trick Room.

I'm transfering from 4th to 5th gen, and was wondering: how does Sceptile do competetively now? Specifically, does he get a boost or get hurt?

It isn't very good unless you plan on playing UU. It has speed, but it doesn't benefit from weather which is what the metagame seems to be based around now.

Dream World only. They are found via the Windswept Sky area, or you can get them on Share Shelves.

Plant a bunch before sending some back.

So, since a lot teams are running drizzle and sandstream, does that mean Swampert is better than 4th gen*? Or does something else make him worse/same? Just curious, I really want to use my shiny lv.100 Swampert competetively.
*Because he is immune to sandstorm and drizzle makes Waterfall better.

Swampert isn't terrible, but with so many bulky waters like Jellicent, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, he doesn't see as much play as he used to in Gen4.

I've used Swampert a bit in 5th gen and its not bad, but there is one problem: Ferrothorn. Ferro can switch in on anything Swampert uses, it can eat hits from him all day, it can set up more than Swampy can, it can OHKO him with Power Whip, it can heal with Leech Seed, and its ubelievably common. Without Ferrothorn in the metagame Swampert would be fairly good, but as it is its dead weight facing a team with Ferro since they can switch in and Leech Seed all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back