Cartoons - Old or New?

RE: Cartoons - Old, or New?

Is the cartoon good? Yes? Well then it's fine by me. Could care less hold old/new it is, so long as it's good. (Good, of course, being entirely subjective.)

SotS said:
Is the cartoon good? Yes? Well then it's fine by me. Could care less hold old/new it is, so long as it's good. (Good, of course, being entirely subjective.)

Which cartoon? Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated? If so, I'm not the right person to ask. I'm not really into the new Scooby-Doo. I really like the old one, though.

Nonono, I'm not asking the question towards any cartoon in particular. I'm saying that I could care less how old or modern it (read: any cartoon) is if it's good.

SotS said:
Nonono, I'm not asking the question towards any cartoon in particular. I'm saying that I could care less how old or modern it (read: any cartoon) is if it's good.

Sorry, I thought when you meant the cartoon, I thought you meant a particular one, like Scooby-Doo.

Is it just me or has Regular Show taken a severe nosedive in quality?

Cinesra said:
Is it just me or has Regular Show taken a severe nosedive in quality?

Actually, I think it's the other way around.

HoOhLugia said:
Are you talking about Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated?

Yeah although I enjoyed the celebrity guest appearances in The New Scooby-Doo Movies (1972) with Batman & Robin, the Harlem Globetrotters, Don Knotts, the Three Stooges, the Addams Family, and of course Blue Falcon & Dynomutt who also made a cameo in Dexter's Lab especially "Macho Man" Randy Savage as Rasslor on Dial M for Monkey. Speaking of Hanna-Barbera cartoons I do miss watching The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest which was the inspiration for the Ben 10 series although Venture Bros. was inspired by the classic Jonny Quest series from the 1960's.

Several of my favorite cartoons growing up as a kid was Liquid Television on MTV, Ghostbusters (1986), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Spider-Man (1994), X-Men (1992), Sonic SatAM (1993), School House Rock (Revived in 1993), Doug (1991), Hey Arnold! (1996), Ren & Stimpy (1991), and Rocko's Modern Life (1993) whose creator Jim Murray went on to make Camp Lazlo (2005) years later which I enjoyed. I still can't get over how Samurai Jack never ended with him finally defeating Aku although it's too late to make up for it now since Mako Iwamatsu passed away in 2006.

I didn't know Ben 10 was based off of The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, especially since I never liked JQ, but that may of been because I was quite young when I watched it.

I really miss those old cartoons. I wonder if we'll ever watch them again?

There's a website called The IAD Forums and there you can talk about new and especially old cartoons.

This one's pretty tough.

In the old shows section, I love Courage the Cowardly Dog, Danny Phantom, Looney Tunes, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.

I may have not gotten some of their jokes at the time as a child, yet I still enjoyed watching them.

In the new shows section, there's Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, MLP: FIM, Adventure Time and Regular Show.

Most of the new shows I've mentioned have great character development, compelling storylines, likable characters and good morals most of the time. Something you will never see with today's SpongeBob or Johnny Test, which are both shows that really need to go at this stage.

CF1994 said:
Most of the new shows I've mentioned have great character development, compelling storylines, likable characters and good morals most of the time. Something you will never see with today's SpongeBob or Johnny Test, which are both shows that really need to go at this stage.

I agree. SpongeBob needs to go and it should have ended years ago. I was an absolute die-hard fan of that show when I was younger and even when I saw the very first post-movie episode, I knew something didn't feel right. There are several post-movie episodes that I do like like Krusty Towers, but there are some that are just horrible like The Splinter and One Course Meal.
Has anyone checked out TheMysteriousMrEnter on Youtube? He reviews some of the best and worst cartoon episodes out there, including a lot of bad new SpongeBob episodes.

Anyway, I don't really watch much TV anymore but when I do I usually watch The Legend of Korra (when it's on!), Adventure Time, or South Park as far as cartoons are concerned. I also watch MLP:FiM, but 98% of the time its on YouTube.

SkyeVictini said:
CF1994 said:

I agree. SpongeBob needs to go and it should have ended years ago. I was an absolute die-hard fan of that show when I was younger and even when I saw the very first post-movie episode, I knew something didn't feel right. There are several post-movie episodes that I do like like Krusty Towers, but there are some that are just horrible like The Splinter and One Course Meal.
Has anyone checked out TheMysteriousMrEnter on Youtube? He reviews some of the best and worst cartoon episodes out there, including a lot of bad new SpongeBob episodes.

Anyway, I don't really watch much TV anymore but when I do I usually watch The Legend of Korra (when it's on!), Adventure Time, or South Park as far as cartoons are concerned. I also watch MLP:FiM, but 98% of the time its on YouTube.

Yes, I saw Mr. Enter's videos on YouTube.

He did a very good job giving SpongeBob's newer, but bad episodes the criticism they deserve, but also does show good praise for admirable animations like The Mask (Courage the Cowardly Dog) and Tales of Ba Sing Se (Avatar: The Last Airbender).

I don't really care about age when it comes to cartoons, or anime, or whatever. There are crappy shows out now, but there were crappy shows when I was a kid, and there were crappy shows before I was born. Same applies to the good. I would love to say that (ealy- to mid-) 90s were the best time for cartoons (Sonic SatAM, Reboot, Batman: TAS, Daria, Animaniacs, Captain Planet, Aladdin, X-Men, Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Rocko's Modern Life), but I guess that's partially also because that was the time I was watching them the most. I have a fondness for 90s anime too, though most of those I watched later. :p

I agree. I miss old cartoon network. I want the original pokemon back, along with Code Name, courage the cowardly dog, dexter's, powerpuff girls, johnny bravo and all of those. I also want old nick back :( it sucks that kids these days will never get to know and love the shows we did. Those were truly the good times :')

My top 3 cartoon shows from each channel were Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats and Lilo and Stitch: The Series. (tbh, I never really watched Disney Channel as a kid but I loved this show!) I am absolutely appalled at Nick for basically selling out and becoming a Disney Channel rip-off. I mean, what happened to them? Nicktoons used to be legendary and had great characters and everything for all ages. Now, their current "Nicktoons" are pretty much exclusively for kids, with nothing but hyper characters and toilet humor. :(

SkyeVictini said:
My top 3 cartoon shows from each channel were Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats and Lilo and Stitch: The Series. (tbh, I never really watched Disney Channel as a kid but I loved this show!) I am absolutely appalled at Nick for basically selling out and becoming a Disney Channel rip-off. I mean, what happened to them? Nicktoons used to be legendary and had great characters and everything for all ages. Now, their current "Nicktoons" are pretty much exclusively for kids, with nothing but hyper characters and toilet humor. :(

I feel ya right there.

It's sad when the older shows like Rugrats and Hey Arnold knew exactly how to do a emotional moment with their characters. (If you've seen Mr. Enter's review of Fart Baby, you'd get what I'm getting at here.)

Pokémon Champion said:
I agree. I miss old cartoon network. I want the original pokemon back, along with Code Name, courage the cowardly dog, dexter's, powerpuff girls, johnny bravo and all of those. I also want old nick back :( it sucks that kids these days will never get to know and love the shows we did. Those were truly the good times :')

Well, at least Cartoon Network in America has Pokemon.

CF1994 said:
I feel ya right there.

It's sad when the older shows like Rugrats and Hey Arnold knew exactly how to do a emotional moment with their characters. (If you've seen Mr. Enter's review of Fart Baby, you'd get what I'm getting at here.)

Yeah, that's true. I can't wait to see what his surprise review at the end of the month will be!
So, I've recently re-watched a lot of Hey Arnold! episodes. All I have to say is I had no idea how crazy that show was. Its amazing how many things in that show went so far over my head when I was a kid. Why must the current censors be so cruel?

I honest prefer Old Cartoons like the stuff you've seen on Disney's Afternoon Block, ABC's One Saturday Morning and Fox Kids (The OLD Fox Kids) :)

Back