'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

These Florges cards... Well, they seem interesting to use, but the question is whether it is worth the effort to invest getting it out.

I'm actually speculating something about this set: Given that there are so many stage 2's in it, and how the metagame makes it hard to get them out right now, I think there may be a supporter or item of some kind to be released in this set that will make it so much easier to get out Stage 2 Pokemon.

I at least hope this happens, as there aren't that many cards right now in this set that seem to be a "BREAKThrough" against all these EX/Stage 1-Attacking Decks that seem to dominate right now.

There's honestly no point to this card. It's not even good as a tech. Healing 30 will only be helpful against bad players, and decks that can't OHKO, but even then, this small heal likely won't stop those same pokemon from pulling off 2HKOs.

Also, running Florges already means at minimum, running 3-1-3 Florges with 2-3 Rare Candy. That's 10-12 cards right there for a single energy reduction in type that doesn't need it. Then you're using even more spots to add this BREAK, which provides pointless healing, and too much effort for status removal. Might as well max out Switch if you really need status healing THAT bad.

Also, this isn't grass. That means no Broken Vine Space. You know how stage 2s are bad because of taking up tons of space, taking too much setup, AND usually being meh to begin with? This thing is essentially stage 3, and its ability and previous florges stats are so bad that "meh" would be considered giving it a BREAK (see what i did there?).

So that's...

-Zoroark
-Chesnaught
-Marowak
-Florges

4/6 of the Break Evolutions in Breakthrough. Hopefully the last 2 aren't Raichu & Noivern

Oh my god, why does the TCG hate its own ideas? This Florges is freaking abysmal for something that eats up so much space in your deck to reach.

The only BREAK card that's been any at all impressive is Noivern, if only to serve as a boost to FFist Noivern. But even then, for a Pokemon that can deal extra damage, he's not THAT impressive, and there isn't much reason to use a Dragon type in the name of dealing gobs of damage since they hit nothing for SE damage anymore. I don't know why they thought making something weaker than Megas would prompt people to use other evo-gimmick strategies.

I think BREAK cards are supposed to be EXs without the double prize card rule. Which they somehow justify by giving you below-average EX-level HP and a super situational addition to an existing Pokemon's arsenal.

Honestly, I love the abilities on the evolved Pokemon from this set, they give a lot of options! They just come with the downsides of evolved Pokemon. I'm kind of hoping for maybe a supporter to help stage 2s, since they've put such a focus on evolved Pokemon this set? Like Rare Candy/Evosoda combined into a supporter. None of the supporters from the main set list have been revealed (just the Raichu/Noivern decks, and those were all reprinted ones), so we should hopefully have 2 or 4 coming. Cmon, give us like, a Daycare Lady or Pokemon Breeder card or somethin

I'm actually speculating something about this set: Given that there are so many stage 2's in it, and how the metagame makes it hard to get them out right now, I think there may be a supporter or item of some kind to be released in this set that will make it so much easier to get out Stage 2 Pokemon.
Maybe something like Plasma Blast Cradily.

I was hoping for a Florges BREAK, so I'm really happy now! :D
I also find it kinda funny how 2 out of 5 of my original team members from X have gotten both EX and BREAK cards :3

WOW!! A Florges BREAK!
Awesome ability + the original ability of Florges+Gardevoir= Regeneration machine!
you're just"+1" in my Fairy Deck.

So that's...

-Zoroark
-Chesnaught
-Marowak
-Florges

4/6 of the Break Evolutions in Breakthrough. Hopefully the last 2 aren't Raichu & Noivern
Ms. Ampha,I hope Raichu and Noivern will be added, but we're gonna expect more than 6 BREAKs in Break Through.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's...

-Zoroark
-Chesnaught
-Marowak
-Florges

If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese have 2 seperate decks with Raichu and Noivern Break in them. However, it would make sense for us to get them in the actual set.

That said, all of the BREAK cards are worse than EX cards. They provide nothing neat about them, and a stage 2 BREAK really hurts some Pokemon like Florges and Chesnaught.

The only BREAK card I see has some sort of potential is Zoroark break. It has the same move as M Gengar EX.

Isn't 140hp a bit low? I was expecting 150-160 hp at least, considering the other BREAK evos.
Not all BREAK cards have 150-160 HP. It's like EX cards.

The pokemon that had low HP before would have low HP as a BREAK card.

It's sort of like EX cards in a way. For example, Shaymin EX from Roaring Skies.

All Shaymin cards before the one from Roaring Skies had less than 130 HP. Some had as low as 70.

The point is, just because it is a BREAK or an EX Pokemon, it doesn't mean it should have a HUGE increase in HP.

Not all BREAK cards have 150-160 HP. It's like EX cards.

The pokemon that had low HP before would have low HP as a BREAK card.

It's sort of like EX cards in a way. For example, Shaymin EX from Roaring Skies.

All Shaymin cards before the one from Roaring Skies had less than 130 HP. Some had as low as 70.

The point is, just because it is a BREAK or an EX Pokemon, it doesn't mean it should have a HUGE increase in HP.

Sorry, but that's quite obvious... Seeing Marowak at 140hp and Chesnaught at 190, I expected Florges to be in the range 150-160, as the EX one. To me it's clear that they don't want direct conflict between BREAK and EX at the moment, maybe they'll do it in the future if BREAK'll has enough success.

Well considering they're hyping Breaks so much, they sure don't want anyone to play them because 80% of them have just been bad so far.

Standard Florges is pretty alright, but a stage 2 so no point there. Unless, of course, they plan on bringing out some stage 2 support in the remaining cards.

I realise they don't always design cards with competitiveness in mind, but tiddly little abilities like this aren't even fun in casual play.

I hope Raichu and Noivern will be added, but we're gonna expect more than 6 BREAKs in Break Through.

No there are only 6 BREAK cards in Breakthrough, Raichu and Noivern standard are the Theme Deck holos we'll be getting so Raichu BREAK and Noivern BREAK are the 5th and 6th BREAK card in the set. We now know all 14 of our ultra rares.

From the sell sheet:
"BREAKthrough will have 8 new Pokémon-EX, including 4 Mega Evolution Pokémon, and 6 new Pokémon BREAK cards."

What about Florges-EX? Especially when you have Sky Field so expand your Bench and get the damage output of Bright Garden into OHKO level (at least for most non-Mega Evolutions). We saw this with Dimension Valley as well: while some price breaks were obvious, some were more subtle like how just needing less Energy in general was useful.

I said excluding EX Pokemon.

Plus, the space required to get 1 Regular Florgess out could be filled with so many more basics or cards to get basics out that would be much better served, especially as Florges EX attacks for two energy.

---_---

Just why? Don't get me wrong, I love the artwork. But honestly if Broken Time Space doesn't get reprinted, there's no point in this format. Break Evolution doesn't even slightly 'break' the format... So this mix of DP/HGSS/BW format would only make things overcomplicate...

p.s. What cards are yet to be revealed in XY8? (EXs and Break)

Back