'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Yay. Another reprint. TPCi must really love Expanded, since they're trying their hardest to make Standard indistinguishable from it.

I'm hoping that Hex Maniac will be enough to weaken Mr Mime significantly and allow the chance for spread decks... but idk. Seems unlikely.

Hey! Mr. Mime is not a reprint. Its a Fairy-type one not the Psychic one that you mentioned for.
You're right that its Bench Barrier on it was on that card,which I love it,so that means the ability is a reprint not the whole card.

I like Fraxure. (Late Reply for Fraxure 'coz I can't login for the reply.)Besides of the EPIC artwork,it's not bad for the three attack cost,and the Sharp Fang and Dragon Slayer,good but cool.

The last time we saw Dragon Slayer attack is Bisharp of Plasma Freeze.

Good mime, a Common too.

Does the ability specify both your and your opponents attacks? The english card probably will, just wondering if the japanese card does. In other words, does this bad boy obsolete Mountain Ring? I like to play casually and he seems like he'd be fun to throw into my deck that has Dugtrio and Zapdos.
Yeah! Its a common,IN JAPANESE CARDS. We don't know,when comes to Break Through,that card becomes rare or holo like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Mr. Mime is not a reprint. Its a Fairy-type one not the Psychic one that you mentioned for.
You're right that its Bench Barrier on it was on that card,which I love it,so that means the ability is a reprint not the whole card.
So? It's still the same, stale effect used on the same, stale Pokemon that will be used in the same, stale way.

Gastly from Arceus had the same attack for free,and it also existed on a format with Vileplume Item locking. VileOwl is the new VileGar.

They also reprinted the first Dodrio ever. Seems odd, along with Mr Mime being back already..

My Evaluations:
Hoothoot? Good. I hope they retain the attack name on the English Version,I can use Shrine of Memories for that with Vileplume also.
Dodrio? Good card.

I.... I'm not sure to say, honestly. So... unsurprising? I'm really not liking this set in the slightest.

Dodrios not bad if you can make space for it in your deck I see it being used in ex based decks more than stage 1 or 2 decks

I have a feeling that Pokemon Company wants to create a new format with "older cards" adjusted to it.

Mr. Mime, Judge, Float Stone, Level Ball, Fisherman, Skyla, EX, bad Megas (coz spirit link will always suck), Break -> Lv.X and many more...

Am I the only one who's sceptical about what it will become? :/

inb4 hoothoot lasers wins worlds next year jks but dodrio is a really nice card it will replace darkrai for yveltal very good card

Dodrio is a nice card helping heavy retreating decks that could be more versatile if/when they have 2 less retreat cost.
Gastly from Arceus had the same attack for free,and it also existed on a format with Vileplume Item locking. VileOwl is the new VileGar.

They also reprinted the first Dodrio ever. Seems odd, along with Mr Mime being back already..
It was Gastly from Stormfront with the "Pitch Dark" attack.

I doubt Hoot-hoot will make much impact. It's Seismitoad's attack but without any damage whatsoever, but it's a nice attack for a basic if the Noctowl has potential.

First time posting!

I can't seem to post on the Haxorus page(cannot quote it here either), but I believe the translation for dragon dance is incorrect. The translation says as long as it is in play, but the card says バトル場, which I thought meant the Active spot/pokemon. My points of reference are Team Aqua's Admins (Double Crisis), and the Pangoro with the ability that increases its max Hp(dont know the US set/name, its a promo here in Japan). If I am wrong about this, sorry, but it has been lurking in the back of my head the past few days and making me crazy!

Otherwise, looking forward to this set! Recently I only play casually with my friends and we have a 1 EX rule, so I will be missing out on any mega fun unless I can find time for tournaments again, but the new cards look like a lot of fun!

Guess what's back! Back again! Retreat Aid's back! Tell a friend...

...yeah that joke might have been at least a contemporary of the original Dodrio with "Retreat Aid" from Jungle. It might prove useful, it might not. Hard to tell as it is a Stage 1, but it just takes one thing where the Retreat Cost being lowered makes the difference.

I'm a bit torn about Hoothoot. On one hand, this is probably the kind of attack Evolving Basics need; it isn't ridiculous damage (that rarely happens and doesn't balance well). It isn't pointless damage like "[C] Tackle 10" or a bland usage of Special Conditions. It is actually a useful effect, but one that it isn't worth building a deck around. Well, unless you can add a source of damage or have some other way of winning, but then that would have to be incompatible with Seismitoad-EX since it does the same thing while hitting for 30 damage.

My slight concern would be that it could be chained into Vileplume, but Vileplume can already hit the field on a player's first turn so for the wrong reason, it isn't an issue. =P Oh and the fact that it needs [CC]; this may be one of the many bits of design/game balance Theorymon that makes me look like a moron (if not now, a few years hence) but the only reason it works is because we have Double Colorless Energy... and I really wish we did not have Double Colorless Energy.

I feel like the free 2 less retreat is nice, but with floatstone comeing in with the same set I don't see this seeing much play but we shall see.

Back