BW/BW2 Black 2 and White 2 Discussion Thread

Paddy185 said:
It's only for Japanese copies of the games. If the WiFi is English and the game is Japanese, you will be able to download it.

I don't have the Japan one I wouldn't be able to know how to read it xD I'm going to wait a couple months for it. Shame that they don't do events anymore for rare pokemon everyone just cheats to get them I love to get them legit. :D

But thanks for the heads up I figured it would be like that to download.

I just wanted to say that since I'm avoiding BW2 spoilers, I can't keep a close eye on this thread. So if something needs handling, report it, please.

One thing that really bugs me about this game is the Pokedex and Pokemon distribution. They create a new Unova Dex with a whopping 300 Pokemon in it, the largest regional dex to date. Now I'm fine with that, 300 is a pretty reasonable number when you factor in encounter mechanics such as Shaking Spots and Double Grass. What I'm not fine with is the fact that so many of these Pokemon are post game. In fact, the last 20 or so are not only not catchable until you beat the game and beat the National Dex, which completely defeats the purpose of them being in the Unova Dex in the first place. And there's also several other families, such as Heatmor, Durant, Cryogonal and Tympole, that are seen throughout the game are also inaccessible. And even when you factor out everything that can't be caught, a lot of the best Pokemon in this game are concentrated towards the end of the game. My planned team for example is Serperior, Arcanine, Gliscor, Mienshao, Metagross, and Hydreigon. All but the first two are unavailable until East Unova (Gligar is unavailable until Rt. 11, Mienfoo until Rt. 14, Metang until Giant Chasm, and Zweilous until Victory Road). Other examples include Skarmory, Spoink/Numel, Roselia, Bronzor, Driflblim, the vast majority of previous gen Water types, Pawniard, Throh/Sawk, Swablu, Clefairy, Ditto, and Vanillish. Not very balanced IMO.

Bolt the Cat said:
My planned team for example is Serperior, Arcanine, Gliscor, Mienshao, Metagross, and Hydreigon. All but the first two are unavailable until East Unova (Gligar is unavailable until Rt. 11, Mienfoo until Rt. 14, Metang until Giant Chasm, and Zweilous until Victory Road). Other examples include Skarmory, Spoink/Numel, Roselia, Bronzor, Driflblim, the vast majority of previous gen Water types, Pawniard, Throh/Sawk, Swablu, Clefairy, Ditto, and Vanillish. Not very balanced IMO.

I agree with you, it would've been nice to get Pokemon like Skarmory, Corphish or Skorupi a bit earlier on. At least good things like Riolu, Sandshrew and Elekid are available relatively early.

From the research I've done, Skarmory is at least reasonable and Roselia is actually available relatively early on. Metagross, is ridiculous, though. You don't catch it until around the time as Kyurem, 7/9ths of the way through the game at like level 40. To be fair, Hydreigon was always late-game.

Dialkia198 said:
I agree with you, it would've been nice to get Pokemon like Skarmory, Corphish or Skorupi a bit earlier on. At least good things like Riolu, Sandshrew and Elekid are available relatively early.

Those are bad examples. Skarmory is fine where it is, Corphish can't really be made available before you get Surf (the only reasonable place to put it on land is in Seaside Cave), and I can't think of a good place for Skorupi earlier than Rebirth Mountain. But yeah, I can think of earlier places to put most of these Pokemon:

Munna- Stranger's House
Blitzle- Virbank Complex (not really necessary, but it'd be nice to see Blitzle earlier in the game)
Heatmor- Rebirth Mountain outside
Durant- Rebirth Mountain inside
Cryogonal- Giant Chasm
Shuppet- Celestial Tower (seriously 3+ Ghost families in the Unova Dex and we still only get Litwick?)
Gligar- Rt. 4
Tympole- Rt. 20, possibly Palpitoad on Rt. 6 or Rt. 14
Bronzor- Relic Cave
Ditto- Rt. 16 or Lostlorn Forest
Beldum- Mistralton Cave
Deino- Mistralton Cave
Swablu- Driftveil Drawbridge?
Slakoth- Lostlorn Forest
Corphish- possibly Virbank Complex by Surfing, if not, Seaside Cave
Jigglypuff- Rt. 5/16?, Giant Chasm
Lickitung- Rt. 5/16?, Giant Chasm
Yanma- Castelia Park, Rt. 6, Rt. 12, Victory Road Forest
Tropius- Rt. 13, Rt. 14
Carnivine- Rt. 14
Croagunk- Rt. 6, Rt. 14?
Larvitar- Mistralton Cave, Rebirth Mountain

Cinesra said:
From the research I've done, Skarmory is at least reasonable and Roselia is actually available relatively early on. Metagross, is ridiculous, though. You don't catch it until around the time as Kyurem, 7/9ths of the way through the game at like level 40. To be fair, Hydreigon was always late-game.

Oh right, I forgot Roselia was available in Lostlorn Forest. Still, there's tons of other Pokemon that are only available late in the game. And Deino could reasonably be placed earlier in the game, it has a detrimental ability and doesn't evolve until Lv. 50.

I was struggling a lot just to make my team. It IS annoying how most of the good Pokemon are found late in the game. I wanted a Crawdaunt... T_T BUT, you gotta thank the Dream World. I wanted a Pelliper, but Wingull are found late in the game, and I had to stick with Swanna for a while. Then I found that Wingull could be found on Windswept Sky, and that changed. There are probably other late Pokemon in there, so it isn't much of a problem...

Anyway my planned team isn't bad(Or at least I think it isn't):
Emboar, Electivire, Espeon, Roserade, Pelliper and Aggron.

By the way, do you know how a Pokemon that entered PokeStar Studios and got the strange ending get a star that appears when they are sent out? What if the Pokemon is Shiny then? Do both animations show at the same time?

I heard there's a chance in the hidden hollow @ Route 18 you can get a DW DNite. Just a heads up. (Idk if any HMs are required to get there outside of Surf and maybe Strength)

TheOtterBoy said:
I was struggling a lot just to make my team. It IS annoying how most of the good Pokemon are found late in the game. I wanted a Crawdaunt... T_T BUT, you gotta thank the Dream World. I wanted a Pelliper, but Wingull are found late in the game, and I had to stick with Swanna for a while. Then I found that Wingull could be found on Windswept Sky, and that changed. There are probably other late Pokemon in there, so it isn't much of a problem...

I'd prefer to have more control over abilities, movesets, etc., so even if all of the Pokemon for my team are (which they aren't), that wouldn't help. The only thing that would help my case is if I could trade and breed them, but of course they decided to make the Day Care post game, which is another annoying design decision.

TheOtterBoy said:
By the way, do you know how a Pokemon that entered PokeStar Studios and got the strange ending get a star that appears when they are sent out? What if the Pokemon is Shiny then? Do both animations show at the same time?

According to Serebii, you earn the star if you deviate from the script but still accomplish the mission. It does not say if both animations show if the Pokemon is also shiny, that's an interesting question.

Equinox said:
I heard there's a chance in the hidden hollow @ Route 18 you can get a DW DNite. Just a heads up. (Idk if any HMs are required to get there outside of Surf and maybe Strength)

I just checked Serebii for that, too, and it is. As for location, you do not need anything but Surf, it's right at the base of the cliff after you pass the house that gives you the Larvesta in BW1. Here's a screencap from Serebii:

hol18-1.png

So, I read that you get Surf on Route 6 from Cheren, but I'm not finding him at all. What the deuce?

I got surf but I have no idea how since I'm playing on a cartridge. It might have something to do with the deerling lab or something.

Grizzly said:
So, I read that you get Surf on Route 6 from Cheren, but I'm not finding him at all. What the deuce?

He's in the Weather Institute right in the middle of the route. But other than that, IDK if there's anything you need to do there.

Bolt the Cat said:
In fact, the last 20 or so are not only not catchable until you beat the game and beat the National Dex, which completely defeats the purpose of them being in the Unova Dex in the first place. And there's also several other families, such as Heatmor, Durant, Cryogonal and Tympole, that are seen throughout the game are also inaccessible. And even when you factor out everything that can't be caught, a lot of the best Pokemon in this game are concentrated towards the end of the game. Other examples include Skarmory, Spoink/Numel, Roselia, Bronzor, Driflblim, the vast majority of previous gen Water types, Pawniard, Throh/Sawk, Swablu, Clefairy, Ditto, and Vanillish. Not very balanced IMO.
I don't see the problem. They've done this in other games too, especially Gold, Silver and Crystal (Houndour, Murkrow, Slugma, Misdreavus were all Kanto-only Pokemon, and there were even more that you couldn't obtain at all (Gen.1 Starters and legendaries).

Bippa said:
I don't see the problem. They've done this in other games too, especially Gold, Silver and Crystal (Houndour, Murkrow, Slugma, Misdreavus were all Kanto-only Pokemon, and there were even more that you couldn't obtain at all (Gen.1 Starters and legendaries).

This is equally as problematic as in GSC, if not more so. And when else have they ever denied you from catching more than one evolutionary line of Pokemon before post game?

Serebii says that Heracross is exclusive to Black 2 and Bulbapedia says it isn't. Can anybody confirm whether or not Heracross is exclusive to Black 2 for me?

Cinesra said:
Serebii says that Heracross is exclusive to Black 2 and Bulbapedia says it isn't. Can anybody confirm whether or not Heracross is exclusive to Black 2 for me?

It's exclusive to Black 2. I have yet to test if you can find Moxie Heracross in the hidden hollows of W2, however I am certain you can only find normal Heracross in B2. I'll get back to you with a clear answer when I go hidden hollow searching in W2.

I agree with everyone who is having trouble building their team.
It took long enough for me to make a Unova team in BW.
I have no idea what I'm going to do [except of course I'll have a Lucario, Jolteon/Electivire and Arcanine].

By the way, when is the game coming out in North America?

Back