Best EX?

Best EX?

• Total voters
Durant's dead after rotation, and it is dead after Dark Explorers is released in the first place. But that is really another thread for another time, not on the "Best EX" thread. :p

What format???? Are you talking about HS-ND (our current format), HS-DE (our BR/nats/worlds format), or CoL/BW-[insert name of dragon set here] (our next season format)?

My Top 5 EXs (IMO of course)
1. Mewtwo EX- as much as i hate to admit it, mewtwo IS the best EX. Its first attack is too awesome, being able to KO anything in its path (with the certain amount of energies of course). It is also a counter to itself. Staple in most decks nowadays.
2. Rayquaza EX- yay. Awesome. I love it. It can easily KO ANYTHING (yes anything) in its path. A viable Fighting type counter in ZekEels IMO. I just Love it. Thank you god. Sadly, it needs to utilize at least 3 Switch.....still awesome.
3. Terrakion EX- Finally. Once again, as much as I hate Terrakion NV, its EX form is just great. With the ability to actually accelerate Fightings (or other energies) There may be a TerraBox deck right around the corner.lol. Its first attack is also pretty good as well, and It will probably never get OHKOed.
4. Zekrom EX- In ZekEels, it can easily get consistent 150s. Its pretty much a very strong card nuff said.
4. Reshiram EX (I say its tied with Zekrom EX)- Even though it has limited uses, like Zekrom EX, its damage output is very high and can Utilize Refliptini so much. It can consistently do 150s and is just a very powerful card.
5. Regigigas EX- Big Outrage, easy kills. IMO nuff said.
Special 6: Darkrai EX- Yay free retreat. Nice attack too. But is very nice in Dark decks and can set up incredibly quickly with all the dark trainers..

Worst ones:
Mew- WAY TO WEAK. Puny. dies to the popular dragons and most other cards.
Registeel- Pretty bad attacks.
Giratina- To slow for mediocre damage

my top 5:
1.Rayquaza EX- streaming 240 damage every turn? DO WANT
2.Mewtwo EX- we all know this one by now...
3.Shaymin EX- Epic revengekiller or lategame finisher to KO an EX for the game
4.Darkrai EX- seems fun
5.Raikou EX-snipe everything

Also, we may have 1 or 2 months with BW5 before rotation, so in that space, rayquaza with EX and legend will destroy everything.

I'm going to have to stick with Rayquaza-EX. It can one-shot anything continuously thanks to support from Eelektrik and Skyarrow Bridge, one-shotting every other card in the game by discarding just 4 of the energies attached to it, which can easily be recovered during your next turn. Since you're discarding the energies attached to it, Max Potion can work great as a way to keep Rayquaza invincible! The problem with this card is, like Mewtwo-EX, it is weak to itself! This card is going to keep Zekrom/Eels the BDIF even during next format!

Darkrai EX is so overhyped. If you really think about it, it's not that good. Everybody's saying OMG FREE RETREAT, but think about it. What deck needs free retreat that badly that can't be covered with skyarrow bridge/dodrio? Dark toolbox isn't that good. If someone could explain to me what attackers it runs, maybe I'd think it's better. However, until now, Darkrai is overhyped imo. Mew EX is actually really good. People are hating on it because it has 120 hp, but mew traditionally has low hp. In fact, the old ex had 90 hp and it won worlds. (Speaking of which, I am so running Mewtrik next season. I don't care if it's good or not. I will run it for at least one tournament.)

90 hp was actually pretty good for a basic EX back then. 120 hp is meh for a non-EX basic now. For an EX, that's terrible. I have yet to hear of a scenario in which using Mew EX is actually useful...

pokemonjoe said:
Darkrai EX is so overhyped. If you really think about it, it's not that good. Everybody's saying OMG FREE RETREAT, but think about it. What deck needs free retreat that badly that can't be covered with skyarrow bridge/dodrio? Dark toolbox isn't that good. If someone could explain to me what attackers it runs, maybe I'd think it's better. However, until now, Darkrai is overhyped imo.

Darkrai EX isn't Hyped because of the retreat, well not just because anyways. He's an amazing attacker too, 2HKO any EX and 30 snipe is pretty good, and Dark Patch makes him easy to charge.

Dark Toolbox is Darkrai EX, Zoroark (from Dark Explorers) and Mewtwo EX. Everything is an attacker (Zoroark is Early game Donk) and the two EX's are techs (Darkrai for mirror and Mewtwo, Mewtwo for mirror and Fighting Types.)

Mew EX was good back then because a) the old Rare Candy rules allowed for more flexibility of attackers and b) things did less damage.

The new Mew EX is easily OHKOed by Zekrom, Zekrom EX, Reshiram, Reshiram EX, Zoroark DE, Darkrai EX (think Dark Claw and PlusPower) Mewtwo EX, Rayquaza EX, and Raikou/Tornadus EX with a few PlusPowers.

It's also 2HKOed by Terrakion, Tornadus, and Thundurus, and they only give one prize, so it's still a bad trade off.

Allow me to rephrase what I said on Mew. I meant underrated/fun/interesting. I still think it's good because of it's amazing versatility. It's not supposed to have high hp. Also, against Terrakion/Groudon EX/Terrakion EX/Landorus/any other fighting attacker, Mew has more hp than Darkrai. Fighting decks are rapidly rising in popularity, so that's something to consider. I still don't see how Darkrai is so good. Putting 120 damage on the field isn't really that good for 3 energy. It has a horrible weakness to fighting, so it will get revenge ko'd easily by the ever popular Terrakion.
Emopanda: I hope you know that basically no popular fighting types are weak to psychic. If Mewtwo is still popular by the time dark explorers comes out, the opponent will run mewtwo of their own. How exactly is Zoroark early game donk? It can't attack until T2, and the opponent might just donk the Zorua. People are saying how Mew EX gets ko'd by everything, but it has 20 hp more than zoroark. Sure, it's an EX, but you're probably giving up an early prize or two with zorua, and Mew can use eviolite.
Dark void: That may be because it's not out yet...

Zorua evolves T1 through Ascencion, and the chances of it getting donked are the same as Celebi Prime and Durant, and that didn't stop them from being in popular decks during States. It's not as easy to get donked as Tynamo is, and Tynamo is in the BDIF.

2 Mew EXs killed equals 4 prizes, and 3 Zoruas/Zoroarks equal 3.

Tornadus EX is also pretty good against Fighting decks.

pokemonjoe said:
Dark void: That may be because it's not out yet...

Mew EX is not out yet, but we already know all the cards that will be out when it is released. If nobody can think of a scenario in which it is actually useful, then chances are its not...

Mew has hardly ever had any good cards. The new EX version is very dissapointing. Mew isn't loved enough by Nintendo.
Ho-oh EX is an interesting card but would be alot better with Sage's Training in it's format.

Dark Void said:
Mew EX is not out yet, but we already know all the cards that will be out when it is released. If nobody can think of a scenario in which it is actually useful, then chances are its not...
That's a ridiculous argument. You're basing how good a card is on how much people are talking about it? Talk about jumping on the hype train...
Here's a scenario(s), you attack anything when there is an attack on the field that does more damage than the defending pokemon has more hp.
EliGagerNorris: I didn't say it would be donked, I said it can be donked. That is a threat with Zekeels, MTC, and Durant, but that didn't stop them from being excellent decks. Why? They had tons of stuff going for them. Dark toolbox does not. You don't even have that high of a chance of a T1 Ascension. You have about a 50/50 chance of starting with Zorua. You could run switch, but then what's the point of darkrai?
Blui129: I want you to look at the worlds winning deck of 2006.

pokemonjoe said:
That's a ridiculous argument. You're basing how good a card is on how much people are talking about it? Talk about jumping on the hype train.

How is that hyping? I'm asking you to think of one (1) scenario in which Mew would be useful. Aka, just one reason to use him. Obviously, if there is no scenario in which Mew would be useful in, then its clearly not useful. How that is hype? Also, if you have a Pokemon that can OHKO the Defending Pokemon, why use Mew EX to attack instead of the Pokemon with the attack? Mew EX essentially has 60 hp per prize given, and needs all the energy anyway.

Blui129 said:
Mew has hardly ever had any good cards. The new EX version is very dissapointing. Mew isn't loved enough by Nintendo.
Ho-oh EX is an interesting card but would be alot better with Sage's Training in it's format.

Actually, Rufflet from Dragon Blade can prove useful for getting Ho-Oh to work provided you have a way of discarding it from your hand (Juniper or Junk Arm.) The problem is that Rufflet has virtually no use out side of that and Ho-oh's ability is flippy. I don't think that the deck will be very good in the first place if you have a 50% chance of failure each turn. You also have to find a way to ACTUALLY discard the energy.

That being said, I wouldn't exactly say that the chance of Sage's Training being rotated out is why Ho-Oh isn't the best EX, more like the fact that its ability has a possibility of failing.

Mew EX is horrible. It is OHKOd by every single thing in the format. The only thing it would be good for would be to spam Stage 2s, but you would be better off attacking with them then losing 2 prizes every turn.

I can't wait till Darkrai is out. It may be a bit too early to say, but I feel like it paired with Tornadus EX will probably be BDIF.

Dark Void said:
How is that hyping? I'm asking you to think of one (1) scenario in which Mew would be useful. Aka, just one reason to use him. Obviously, if there is no scenario in which Mew would be useful in, then its clearly not useful. How that is hype? Also, if you have a Pokemon that can OHKO the Defending Pokemon, why use Mew EX to attack instead of the Pokemon with the attack? Mew EX essentially has 60 hp per prize given, and needs all the energy anyway.
The regular mew has 60 hp per prize, and it's still good. Since you need a specific example and won't listen to what I just said, here's a specific example. The opponent has a benched Rayquaza EX and an active Eelektrik. You ko the eelektrik using Rayquaza's broken attack. About the hype, it looked like you were basing how good a card was based on how much hype it was receiving.
Alexmf2: I disagree. Assuming Mew EX has eviolite, which it should, it has 140 hp. Let's see what 140 hp survives.
Darkrai EX, Zoroark DE, Reshiram, Zekrom, Terrakion, Terrakion EX, Giratina EX, Registeel EX, Kyurem EX, Tornadus EX, Virizion, Victini, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, etc. Last time I checked, those are part of the format. It also hits Mewtwo EX for weakness.
How exactly does Darkrai pair with Tornadus EX? It can't really cover the fighting weakness, because it can't be charged in one turn.

pokemonjoe said:
The regular mew has 60 hp per prize, and it's still good. Since you need a specific example and won't listen to what I just said, here's a specific example. The opponent has a benched Rayquaza EX and an active Eelektrik. You ko the eelektrik using Rayquaza's broken attack. About the hype, it looked like you were basing how good a card was based on how much hype it was receiving.

The chances that you will have the energy for the attack of one of your opponent's cards is very low unless you actually play the same deck as the opponent, in which case you may as well just use the Pokemon whose attack you would be copying...also, in that scenario, the opponent will almost always just revenge KO Mew back anyway and take 2 prizes. My point is that using Mew EX is never better than simply using the Pokemon whose attack it would be copying.

Dark Void said:
The chances that you will have the energy for the attack of one of your opponent's cards is very low unless you actually play the same deck as the opponent, in which case you may as well just use the Pokemon whose attack you would be copying...also, in that scenario, the opponent will almost always just revenge KO Mew back anyway and take 2 prizes. My point is that using Mew EX is never better than simply using the Pokemon whose attack it would be copying.
You run 4 prism. The point of Mew is to use attacks of pokemon on the bench, or evolutions.

Back