'Battle Style' is March's Set, Introduces New Single Strike and Rapid Strike Cards!

FINALLY they implemented an umbrella term for EX, GX, V, etc! I'm so happy.
Having said that, does this new term "Rule Box Pokémon" include 1 prizers like Break and Prism Star cards? They also have rules boxes.
This is the first SwSh set I'm honestly excited about!
Yes it does, they have Rule Boxes on the cards.

I'm liking how they are now referring V, GX as Pokemon with Rule Box. I'm guessing the this would also include the Shining from Gen 2 also.

I'm liking how they are now referring V, GX as Pokemon with Rule Box. I'm guessing the this would also include the Shining from Gen 2 also.

I had to go and look at the cards to see what you were talking about, I didn't remember at all that they had Prism Star-like rules or that they were basics. Also, I can't look at that era of cards without sinking in bittersweet nostalgia.

• Single-Strike Energy - extra dmg is good, it only depends on the SS cards who can use it. 4 Geodudes
  • Rapide-Strike Energy - 2 energy in one card, we've seen this on DCE back then. It's really cool. Same deal on SS Energy. 4 Geodudes
  • Mustard - RS or SS ver. of Maxie's. You can use this to get Emboar out like if it was a Basic, Octillery like if it was a basic. Cool card! 4-5/4-5
  • Fan of Winds - Inteleon VMAX loves this! 3-4
  • Jar of Vitality - what a nice way to recover Special Energy.... for SS Pokemon. 4
  • Tower of Darkness - extra speed and consistency. 4
  • Tower of Waters - if Jirachi has this RS tag... 4
  • Scroll of Fury - Nice outrage atk for a bulky SS VMax. 4
  • Scroll of Whirlpool - spread some damage. 3-4
  • Honey - massive 1-of in Eternatus VMAX since you play Crobat and Eternatus and Sableye. 4. Well, a counter to Eternatus VMax
  • Cinderace V Block E - ehh. 2-3
  • Rillaboom V Block E - ehh. 2-3
  • SS Urshifu V - ehh. 3
  • RS Urshifu V - ehh. Spread. 3-4

They remind me more of the Team Magma vs Team Aqua cards from 2004.
Team Magma vs Team Aqua has Owner's Pokemon which can be able run seperately like you can play 4 Team Aqua's Lanturn and 4 Lanturn in the same deck. This is different. You can only play 4 Octillery. Means you cannot play 4 RS Octillery and 4 other Octillery legal. You have to play 2 of each.

2 Rebel Clash Coalossal(Ability) + Dojo + Single-Strike Energy + Vitality Band = 1HKO to VMAXes that are NOT Psychics and/or Fliers(Colorless cards that are Flying-type in the VGs) in the event you have more Prizes remaining than your opponent...

Empoleon V changed the regular game. No more Rillaboom ability use, no more Perrserker add-on damage from ADPZ, and even no more V/GX damage-blocking from Decidueye, as all of the above will be stripped of the Abilities that allow those things to happen, but in order to make such stripping happen, Empoleon V has to stay in the Active spot.

^ If you have a Yanmega or some other pokemon that can switch out after attacking in deck to ensure the opponent can't use their Abilities on their turn...

Yes. If Scoop-Up Net had the same terminology, maybe we wouldn't have seen Shaymin-EX banned from Expanded as quick as it actually happened...
How to realistically sent out 2 Coalossal turn 2?

Team Magma vs Team Aqua has Owner's Pokemon which can be able run seperately like you can play 4 Team Aqua's Lanturn and 4 Lanturn in the same deck. This is different. You can only play 4 Octillery. Means you cannot play 4 RS Octillery and 4 other Octillery legal. You have to play 2 of each.

I haven't actually noticed this nuance about this iteration of "team/owner/whatever" style mechanic, nice catch.

Translation mistake on full art Honey - it's supposed to be Pokemon V on your opponent's BENCH.

God Houndoom's weaknesses and resistances are all kinds of drunk. No resistance despite it having an immunity to Psychic in the games. Even if it had the Psychic resistance, Psychic also includes Fairy, which is strong against Dark. And Houndoom is weak to Grass, which it resists in the video games, because now Darkness is weak to Grass via Bug in the VG, even though Houndoom isn't weak to Bug in the VG either.

Was any of this really worth deleting Fairy and Dragon in the TCG?

God Houndoom's weaknesses and resistances are all kinds of drunk. No resistance despite it having an immunity to Psychic in the games. Even if it had the Psychic resistance, Psychic also includes Fairy, which is strong against Dark. And Houndoom is weak to Grass, which it resists in the video games, because now Darkness is weak to Grass via Bug in the VG, even though Houndoom isn't weak to Bug in the VG either.

Was any of this really worth deleting Fairy and Dragon in the TCG?
It should have been weak to Water or Fighting Type instead.

My favorite card(from combo only) was tyranitar v. With double hoondoom can does 320 damage turn 2!
I mean if manage to set up 2 Hoondoom +a dce on tyranitar v was (240 basic +40 from sp energy =280 = OHKO ADP. +40 damage split from Hoondoom=320! I mean was no hard to set up and with vitality jar can easy set up the combo if tyranitar had K.O

Oh, those are... some in-your-face stamps to denote Single/Rapid Strike. They couldn't have just had it as small text in the name or as a symbol? Having this continue into (at least some) sets moving forward is really cool for gameplay, but dang, I don't like the idea of having those stamps for the next who knows how long.

I think people are really underestimating the Urshifus, especially in a time where Electric and Dark decks are dominating still

Is that the first Bruno we’ve gotten? Like, barring the VS cards he’s been mentioned in I think this might be the first one that is explicitly Bruno... Crazy how long that took.

If Bruno gets a FA out of this I'm collecting his FA and Karen and Will and Koga's Trap to have the whole Johto set.

Bruno at last!!!

Still missing Agatha and Lorelei (lonely)!
After that Kanto set will be complete!

Back