Are These Cards Real or Fake?

RE: Need some clarification on a card! HALP!

Thanks for replying Athena!

I'd followed most of the routes of identifying it as I could (ebay auctions, google images, card sale sites etc and gone off of the numbering, the fossil symbol and the 1st edition symbol and had no success!

It feels and looks identical to all my other cards (genuine ones) so that's why I'm fairly sure it isn't a fake, though it is unfortunately quite worn round the edges. I was given a bunch of cards as a kid which were in this sort of condition, though all of the others I was given are as expected cards with no suprises.

I did pick up that the symbols seemed a little too far to the right (both) which sort of further alerted me to try and find out if it was worth any money above the correct card.

The 1st edition symbol is indeed slightly more faded that the fossil symbol, though I feel that might be a genuine stamp, as I can find first edition wartortles, but no fossil wartortles!
I've lightly scratched at both symbols to see if the ink fades or scratches off, but it's not budging and there's no indentation or edge to the symbols, suggesting to me they were both on there at original print (but I could be wrong of course!)

The fact that I can't find any other instance of this particular card though does suggest to me that perhaps the symbols were added afterwards now you mention it... but since I wasn't the original owner of the card before I got it as a kid, I don't know if anyone's had a fiddle at it! :p

Thanks again (and any others are more than welcome to chip in their 2 cents of info!)

I'm just going to intall my scanner (new PC nstall a couple of days ago) and I'll upload a scan of it instead of a naff phone camera photo!

Well, it certainly can't be a regular 1st Edition Base Set Wartortle because none of the rest of the card is correct for a 1st Edition. You can look at the Base Set card guide to look at the comparisons yourself, but an actual 1st Edition Base Set Wartortle wouldn't have the shadowing around the image box, the thicker HP font, etc. This is what an actual 1st Edition Base Set Wartortle would look like. This is what made me realize the symbols were likely added after the fact.

Thanks for those links! That base set comparison is extremely helpful!
I've had another look through the cards I have and it looks like I have two versions of Jungle Rhydon. Again, with the one I was given, the 1st edition stamp looks faded (though the jungle icon is likely genuine as it's identical to my own bought card)
Here's the scans anyhow, but I think you're right in that it's been stamped on at a later date by someone!
Shame really, but thank you very much for leading me along the right lines to identifying it for me!

Close up:

Something's odd about my Charizard...A fake?

I have this Base Set unlimited charizard that I pulled from a pair of booster packs some years ago. The booster itself looked real, and untampered with. It was sealed just like any old booster pack I've ever seen. Nothing was out of place or wrong with any of the other cards in the pack. They looked pretty real. The second booster pack I opened was the same. The rare card in that second pack was a computer search.

The only thing fishy about these packs was the charizard itself. It looks pretty real: Correct color, clean cut, the fonts are clear and placed correctly, the thickness and holo-foil design is just right...but the holo-foil seems to shine through the entire card slightly. It has an iridescence all over it if you turn it into the light just right, and you can see the star-sparkles on it at just the right angles. Here are photos, though the picture doesn't show the iridescence:

Full view, front: [attachment=7699]

Full view, back: [attachment=7700]

Sparkle sparkle: [attachment=7701] < This one shows the holo-foil sparkles showing through where they shouldn't. I've never seen this on another base set holographic card...I've seen it on a few of the newer cards, though.

I have been wondering whether this card was a very good fake or just a poorly-printed genuine charizard for a long time. Anybody know if this has happened with real holo cards before?

Attachments

• DSCF9199.JPG
    DSCF9199.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF9206.JPG
    DSCF9206.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF9204.JPG
    DSCF9204.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 40
RE: Something's odd about my Charizard...A fake?

I haven't heard many cases of the holosheet coming through on early WotC cards, but I know it became a relatively common issue later in the TCG.

Honestly, the card looks real to me. Fonts, symbols, etc. all appear to be correct, and as someone who's been making his own cards for close to 15 years, I'm pretty hard to fool.

RE: Are These Cards Real or Fake?

Looks like to me the card was not layered properly as each TCG card has 3 separate layers to hold each card together. The top layer (front of the card) (a thin center layer for the middle) and aback layer. If you had a card split at the top sides or bottom before you can see the dynamics of the card. This means the top layer was created too thin so part of the holo part shows through the top layer of the card. I can see that the top layer is too transparent which means the top layer was not cut correctly at the right depth when the card was manufactured.:)

Wigglytuff said:
Okay, this next test is very hard, but it is by far the most reliable. Look at the side of the card. Not the sides of the front and back, but the edge. On all real cards, there is a very thin black line between the white edges of the card. If that black line is there, this card is undoubtedly real.

My charizard has this line on it, too. I remember when I got the booster, I ripped up one of the common cards from it to see if it had that black layer. It did.
So if this charizard is real, does the junky printing add to its value or make it less valuable?

Also, I didn't know I was supposed to post to this thread when I made my thread asking this, because I didn't even see it. It was buried under a dozen other threads at that time. I think this thread should be stickied.

Yeah this thread and all the other threads that still need that as well. Anyway. Did you check to see how many layers the card has? It should have 3 layers. At least the first print cards had 3 layers. Reprints might have 2 layers so check the layering of the cards.:)

fake ?

hi everyone i have a Nidorino 46/102 with an error. From what I've figured out it supposed to be a 4 but theres a 9 over it. Im not sure how to send a picture but curios about the value of this card and if its rare? Thanks

RE: [split] Card Errors Database - Provide a Picture When Reporting Errors - No Misprints

If you got a camera or scanner use it and upload to photo bucket :)

RE: Card Errors Database - Provide a Picture When Reporting Errors - No Misprints

Is this a Jungle set card or another card from a different set?:)

Hello, I was just currently organizing my pokemon collection when I came across this:
v3qdg9.jpg
two Porygon #81 from the Great Encounters set. However their backgrounds are different colors from one another even though they're the same card! No one is not getting more light than the other, and one is not holographic. The one on the left has a blue background while the one on the right has purple(it is more noticeable in irl). Is one a misprint? I've searched everywhere and seen no news of this..

Could just be a printer/ink issue. Neither has any of the telltale signs of being fake.

I seem to recall there being other cards of that era where blue-/violet-tinted backgrounds sometimes looked more like one or the other. Like Frost, I don't notice any other fake-card signs.

so I'm assuming there's not a big price difference, if any, between the two? It's a relief they're not fake but to as a rare misprint it's pretty common?

Yeah, it's not the kind of thing you'd get any extra money for or anything.

Looks like the printer that printed the cards at the time was getting low on ink. If all the cartridges are not all full at the same time the cards will start to distort as the printer prints the cards. If they have uneven levels of ink that will cause a change in the color of ink. If it is a toner laser printer this should not happen unless the toner is dying while it prints.:)

Question about "Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos" Jumbo Card (English)

My dad just bought me one from eBay, but a couple things are making me wonder if it's legit. It might just be how the cards were produced back then, but I'd like to know for sure.

The Energy symbols (inside the orbs) are kind of choppy/pixelated and there's a bit of a white glow around them like they have been sharpened in a graphics program. The Colorless texture is kind of blurry and I can see the Poké Ball through the card when hold it against a light. The edges of the card are smooth like a real one, except there's a small bump (like you see on perforated paper) close to each of the rounded corners.

Everything else seems about right, though. The fonts don't look incorrect or blurry and there aren't any typos. The frames all seem pretty solid and the artwork doesn't look distorted in any way. The Pokémon logo on the back is crisp and the gloss and thickness of the paper seem about right.

Is my card fake or did official prints of this card have these unsightly deformities?

Pics:
birds_pho_zps4b2aaf3c.jpg

Photo of the whole card. Sorry I couldn't get a good picture of the blurry texture...

birds_zpsc74e35a1.jpg

Choppy symbols. (My scanner did the weird motion blur/blast to the drop shadow for some reason, so ignore that part.)

birds_perf_zps0127c9c9.jpg

Perforation bumps? These two bumps are on the top as well.

RE: Question about "Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos" Jumbo Card (English)

Could you post a picture of the card? A close-up of the energy symbols, as well as the blurry texture could be helpful. Being able to see through a card and seeing the back of it is a pretty tell-tale sign of a fake though. Bumps can be an indicator that the card was "punched out" of perforated paper, but can also occur with wear and tear (regardless this means it's not in mint condition, in case it was advertised as such).

RE: Question about "Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos" Jumbo Card (English)

My Little Keldeo said:
Could you post a picture of the card? A close-up of the energy symbols, as well as the blurry texture could be helpful. Being able to see through a card and seeing the back of it is a pretty tell-tale sign of a fake though. Bumps can be an indicator that the card was "punched out" of perforated paper, but can also occur with wear and tear (regardless this means it's not in mint condition, in case it was advertised as such).

Pics added to first post.

I know that cards that can be seen through are usually fake, but I'm not sure if they used the same kind of paper for jumbo cards back then.

Back