Anime Recommendations

Juliacoolo said:
Favourite genre(s): Drama, Romance, SoL, Shoujo, Comedy

Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Clannad, Clannad After Story, Ef a Tale of Two, Nisekoi, Mirai Nikki

Specifics you're looking for: I don't mind if it's light hearted (Like Nisekoi) or bawl-your-eyes-out intense (like Clannad), but I would like something with romance themes, and light comedy tones.

Desired length: 24 - 48 episodes is ideal, but I'm open to anything that isn't hundreds of episodes long.

Anything else?: A newer anime would be nice. Mid 2000s and over is preferable, mainly because I'm a bit of a diva when it comes to picture quality :p

Have you seen Haruhi? It is by KyoAni that made Clannad. Pretty good comedy series which is way more comedy than drama.

marycosplay said:
Favourite genre(s): Romance, Comedy,

Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Nodame Cantabile,Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun, Slam dunk

Specifics you're looking for: Impressive story arc

Desired length: No

Anything else?:No
Not sure if it has an "impressive story arc", but you will love Lovely Complex.

Favourite genre(s): I guess you could say I like action/adventure/comedy all in one.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: I guess you could say I'm more of an oldie's fan but I'm ready to give the new stuff a try.
My favorite is more than likely Sailor Moon. I've loved the story ever since I was a kid and the original anime is so awesome. It's made me cry from laughter as well as sadness. It's kind of been a friend in it's own way. It got me through rough times.
But that's definitely not all. I'll just make a list!
Sailor Moon
DBZ (duh.. lool)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter
Newer Anime:
Soul Eater (omg I LOVED this anime)
Gurren Lagann (omg I loved this one too
Reborn!
Naruto Shippuden
Specifics you're looking for: Sort of like what I was mentioning earlier. Something that's full of adventure with an antagonist. Something that's serious and will have me on the edge of my seat, but at the same time has its moments where my gut feels like it's about to burst from laughter. Ooh and hopefully they'll have some kickass super powers too. lol Something exciting that I dont want to end.

Desired length: I don't particularly like short series. 20 something episodes is fine. But I don't want to watch anything that's like 5- 10 episodes. If it really is that awesome it'd just really bum me out that it was only 10 episodes long.

Anime you've already seen:
lol It's mainly the ones above.
But I've seen bits and pieces of inuyasha
bleach
Digimon
shakugan no shana

Anything else?: You guys are awesome. Other than that, no...not really :>

You should check out both Fullmetal Alchemists, both Avatar: the Last Airbenders, and Wakfu. Technically ATLAB, ATLOK, and Wakfu aren't anime because they aren't Japanese but they're still good and inspired by anime. You said you've seen Hunter x Hunter, but if you've only seen the first one and not the 2011 version, you should check the new one out, too.

Favourite genre(s): Fantasy, Sci-fi, Comedy, Harem, Martial Arts, Action, Adventure, Drama, Mecha, Shounen
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies:
Inu-yasha (Manga) - prefered the manga since it didn't have too many fillers and fit the need for some good fighting, demons, and magic like elements.
Yu-Yu-Hakusho - Loved the anime and the manga as well, great fighting, action, and adventure.

Specifics you're looking for:
Fighting of some sort, romance? (Not totally required but it would be nice if it is there) Magic of some sort

Desired length:
No preference here.

Inu-Yasha, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter (2011 and previous), Toriko, Digimon (S1-S5 [ adventure - Savers]), Sonic X, Dragon Ball/Z/GT, Tenshi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Hakuouki/Hakuouki Hekketsuroku, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, s-CRY-ed, Ranma 1/2, Damekko Doubutsu, Yu-Gi-oh, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Yu-Gi-Oh zexal, Chi's sweet home/new address, Shaman King, Naruto (not much of a fan anymore though), Astroboy (old and new), Rockman.exe Beast, Cyborg 009, Keroro Gunsou, Kikaider, .//hacksign, Detective Conan (Case Closed), D.Gray-man, Fairy Tail (some), Rave Master (some), MAR [marchen awakens romance], Eureka seven (some), Gon, Megaman Star force, Monster Rancher, One Piece (some), Princess Resurrection, Saber Marionette J / J to X, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac), Bomberman Jetters, Dragon Half, Gakuen Alice, Gakuen Heaven, Hamtaro, He is my Master, Hetalia (access and world series), Hikaru no Go, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Konjiki no Gash Bell!, Magic Kaito 1412, Ouran Koukou Host Club, Outlanders, Paniponi Dash! , Kamigami no Asobi, (there's more but I can't think of 'em now >< ]

Anything else?: Hmm Nothing I can think of...

Favourite genre(s): Fantasy, Sci-fi, Comedy, Harem, Martial Arts, Action, Adventure, Drama, Mecha, Shounen
Inu-yasha (Manga) - prefered the manga since it didn't have too many fillers and fit the need for some good fighting, demons, and magic like elements.
Yu-Yu-Hakusho - Loved the anime and the manga as well, great fighting, action, and adventure.

Specifics you're looking for:
Fighting of some sort, romance? (Not totally required but it would be nice if it is there) Magic of some sort

Desired length:
No preference here.

Inu-Yasha, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter (2011 and previous), Toriko, Digimon (S1-S5 [ adventure - Savers]), Sonic X, Dragon Ball/Z/GT, Tenshi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Hakuouki/Hakuouki Hekketsuroku, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, s-CRY-ed, Ranma 1/2, Damekko Doubutsu, Yu-Gi-oh, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Yu-Gi-Oh zexal, Chi's sweet home/new address, Shaman King, Naruto (not much of a fan anymore though), Astroboy (old and new), Rockman.exe Beast, Cyborg 009, Keroro Gunsou, Kikaider, .//hacksign, Detective Conan (Case Closed), D.Gray-man, Fairy Tail (some), Rave Master (some), MAR [marchen awakens romance], Eureka seven (some), Gon, Megaman Star force, Monster Rancher, One Piece (some), Princess Resurrection, Saber Marionette J / J to X, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac), Bomberman Jetters, Dragon Half, Gakuen Alice, Gakuen Heaven, Hamtaro, He is my Master, Hetalia (access and world series), Hikaru no Go, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Konjiki no Gash Bell!, Magic Kaito 1412, Ouran Koukou Host Club, Outlanders, Paniponi Dash! , Kamigami no Asobi, (there's more but I can't think of 'em now >< ]

Anything else?: Hmm Nothing I can think of...
If you haven't heard of it there's one of the most brilliant shows ever that's on going right now. Overlord, it's only subbed atm but it does not matter, it has great amounts of comedy, action, and it can get really sad. It's basically what would happen if Shiro from Log Horizon was the last person online as the servers went down...but they stayed up for him and now the AI is sentient and fully emotional. The best part of the show is that the MC has access to such godly weapons that every fight he encounters is pretty much him just laughing at his opponent when they say "I WILL KILL YOU WITH THIS DEATH WEAPON OF DOOM!" he then uses one spell on them and they die. It is extremely awesome but it can get a bit gory for the first few episodes as in AOT gory. Oh and did I mention the MC is a skeleton mage with an army of the most possibly deadly death creatures from satan's kingdom including a giant bipedal insectoid creature covered in armor...that uses swords. It is seriously one of the best things I have ever watched. AND WHEN WILL THE NEXT EPISODE BE OUT?!!?? *cries*

Also if anyone is looking for a comedy "Ultimate Otaku Teacher" is one of the best things I have watched, and I've only seen the first episode. It's what happes when a physics geek that published major scientific advancements in physics decides that stuff is boring, becomes a super Otaku....who is then forced to work as a physics teacher. Yes, this is as awesome as it sounds and it's fully dubbed, time to go back to wacthing it now, LOL.

I'm not really big on anime, and mecha isn't among the things I like about them, but... I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll suggest Gurren Lagann. As I said, I'm not a fan of mecha and this is no exception, but I consider it really well-made and a magnificent example of the genre. And I'll also direct you at two anime that I consider masterpieces among animated and non-animated series alike, Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion. They are seinen, but I hope you will enjoy them; be warned though, they're not the lightest material, especially for anime (and especially Evangelion). I can't cover you on comedy or harem sadly. Hopefully someone can give you a recommendation there.

Oh, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, because FMA.

Enjoy your shows.

I'd be pretty wary about checking out Overlord and Ultimate Otaku Teacher, tbh. Overlord wasn't bad from the one episode I saw but I haven't heard very good things about it from people with experience and opinions I trust and the first episode of UOT was painfully unfunny to me and felt like a much worse version of Great Teacher Onizuka. Comedy is one of the more subjective attributes out there, however.

I definitely second checking out FMA, but I'd recommend watching the 2003 version before Brotherhood because it covers the early sections better before the two stories go down different routes. Fma 03 is a good series even if I like Brotherhood more. I fudging love both Gurren Lagann and Evangelion and would recommend the former to just about everybody, but NGE is not something everyone would enjoy. It's still worth checking out though. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are pretty nice, too.

I'd be pretty wary about checking out Overlord and Ultimate Otaku Teacher, tbh. Overlord wasn't bad from the one episode I saw but I haven't heard very good things about it from people with experience and opinions I trust and the first episode of UOT was painfully unfunny to me and felt like a much worse version of Great Teacher Onizuka. Comedy is one of the more subjective attributes out there, however.

I definitely second checking out FMA, but I'd recommend watching the 2003 version before Brotherhood because it covers the early sections better before the two stories go down different routes. Fma 03 is a good series even if I like Brotherhood more. I fricking love both Gurren Lagann and Evangelion and would recommend the former to just about everybody, but NGE is not something everyone would enjoy. It's still worth checking out though. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are pretty nice, too.
Overlord is much better than you've heard, it may be messed up at time but the writing is truly amazing, to the point where it's on the level of AOT. I've watched enough anime to know that it is good, and it's not a baka and test sort of funny, more like a "did they really just do that? and lololol they're going to die horribly" kind of funny, which sounds freaking horrible, though you must watch the first few episodes to understand what I mean by that.

Also FMA is only worth watching the first 8 episodes so of (I couldn't get past that much because if a five year old is still using "baby talk" 1 there's something wrong with them or 2 their parents are clearly trying to give them a speech disorder/really hate them), then watch FMA Brotherhood where the plot is good and everyone is not immortal and sunshine and rainbows all of the time. It's so freaking good I binge watched the entire series in a week and it has 64 episodes or so in it.

FMA 2003 is not on the level of FMA:B, but it's still more than worth it. I don't consider it a must to watch before Brotherhood, but it does cover the first part of the series better and it has its own, kinda lackluster but still competent, story from a point on. And not everyone's immortal, more so sunshine and rainbows; FMA may not be big on death or on darker themes, but both versions have their share.

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions, but I have given FMA/FMA b a shot as well as NGE(?) and Cowboy Bebop none of them are really my type of anime. >W<

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions, but I have given FMA/FMA b a shot as well as NGE(?) and Cowboy Bebop none of them are really my type of anime. >W<
Have you heard of No Game No Life? It's not that action filled but it's basically the level of thought battles in Death Note meets the screwed upness of Baka and Test. It's about a brother and sister who are so good at every single video game ever that the sister beats people who use cheats in MMOs...with her feet. Then they get put into a world where games decide everything, wars, civil disputes over land etc. and the one of the main rules in this world is that if you lose a battle you must uphold your end of the bargain to the point where you can basically fly if the person that beats you wants you to fly. It is really awesome and wrong is so many ways.

Overlord is much better than you've heard, it may be messed up at time but the writing is truly amazing, to the point where it's on the level of AOT.
I thought Attack on Titan had pretty mediocre writing to be honest. It was an enjoyable show because of the directing+art+animation+OST+premise, but the actual writing istelf I found to be very lackluster. The characters had little, if any, depth and development , the pacing felt very drawn out, the actual events of the plot are pretty basic and the female titan reveal felt insulting because of how obvious it was. Moreover, I felt like AOT betrayed what it had set up. It promised to be a story about humanity on the brink of extinction vs a more powerful enemy where anybody could die and what we got was a story where only very unimportant characters die while the main cast has massive plot armor and ridiculous power levels and then changed the dynamic by making humans capable of transforming into titans which eliminates strategy and turns battles into "How many titans can Eren punch in the face with his meat-mecha?"
Also FMA is only worth watching the first 8 episodes so of
I strongly disagree. The stories of both series divert at episode 26 of 03 and 16 of FMAB and even though I don't think FMA03 is as good as Brotherhood, the path it goes down is still worth watching.
(I couldn't get past that much because if a five year old is still using "baby talk" 1 there's something wrong with them or 2 their parents are clearly trying to give them a speech disorder/really hate them),
So you feel qualified to say 03 isn't worth it but you only watched 8 episodes? I don't remember any baby talk so I assume this is only a problem with the dub.
then watch FMA Brotherhood where the plot is good and everyone is not immortal and sunshine and rainbows all of the time.
You definitely haven't seen 2003 because it's darker than Brotherhood lol.

I thought Attack on Titan had pretty mediocre writing to be honest. It was an enjoyable show because of the directing+art+animation+OST+premise, but the actual writing istelf I found to be very lackluster. The characters had little, if any, depth and development , the pacing felt very drawn out, the actual events of the plot are pretty basic and the female titan reveal felt insulting because of how obvious it was. Moreover, I felt like AOT betrayed what it had set up. It promised to be a story about humanity on the brink of extinction vs a more powerful enemy where anybody could die and what we got was a story where only very unimportant characters die while the main cast has massive plot armor and ridiculous power levels and then changed the dynamic by making humans capable of transforming into titans which eliminates strategy and turns battles into "How many titans can Eren punch in the face with his meat-mecha?"I strongly disagree. The stories of both series divert at episode 26 of 03 and 16 of FMAB and even though I don't think FMA03 is as good as Brotherhood, the path it goes down is still worth watching.So you feel qualified to say 03 isn't worth it but you only watched 8 episodes? I don't remember any baby talk so I assume this is only a problem with the dub. You definitely haven't seen 2003 because it's darker than Brotherhood lol.
I watched the dub and they had every freaking 5-6 year old talk like they were 2 years old why would they do this? I will now try the sub as it now sounds worth watching if I don't have to deal with the insult to intelligence that is baby talk.

Also, seriously watch the first 3-4 episodes of Overlord, its so good that there are no words for it, and they acknowledge that the main character is like a god but that's the point of the show. Last thing, thank you for ruining AOT for me now, I will now be crying otaku tears over my life decisions. *screams "whyyyyyyyy!!?!?!?!?!* Seriously that wasn't sarcasm, it's just, nope, I never read your post at all, lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

I enjoyed Attack on Titan, mostly because it was fun, not because it was good. If I were to grade it objectively, it would probably get a score in the 70s or so, but it was amusing to watch regardless. That said, I think the manga is loads better than the show. For one thing, the pacing is much better (they actually rearranged a bunch of stuff when they made it into an anime for some weird reason), there's more background information and stuff presented and in a much better way, and it just feels more interesting and suspenseful in the manga format.

Yeah, while I would recommend the AOT anime (pacing and animation are its worse points, but it has its pros too), the manga is simply better.

Has anyone here ever heard of Oban Star Racers? It was simply amazing and I highly encourage anyone to watch it that's into a bit of a dark drama with not that much racing in it, the character design on the alien races was very original even for extras and the writing was just amazing, plus despite it being aimed at kids (I first watched it on JetEX back when that was around) they were still willing to kill off characters mid series.

I need to kill some time before the Fall TV season gets into full swing, so let's try this.

Favourite genre(s): mecha, sci-fi, psychological, action

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Akira (yes, I'm that old), Gundam 0083, Infinite Ryvius, Vandread, Death Note, Valvrave the Liberator, Kill la Kill, SAO, AoT

Specifics you're looking for: Short, concise story, requires a bit of thinking, preferably newer (within the last five years)

Desired length: Nothing long-running, maybe 26 episodes tops. Episode length doesn't matter

Anime you've already seen: (older) Anything ever shown on Toonami, Escaflowne, Gurren Lagann, RahXephon, Neon Genesis, Avatar, Hunter x Hunter, anything Gundam (newer) Tokyo Ghoul, C, Tiger and Bunny, Psycho-Pass, Accel World, Legend of Korra

Anything else? One of my coworkers suggested Magica Madoka, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. If a suggested series starts off with a strong story-arc and tries to shoe-horn another arc into the last couple of episodes (Gurren Lagann, SAO, AoT, Tiger and Bunny, etc.), just give me a heads up.

Last edited:
Try Steins;Gate. It has a kinda weak start, but gets progressively better. Has neat characters and a more or less consistent plot. Not flawless, but still good.

I doubt I'd have time (or the attention span) to watch one, but hey, if there's one open, then I'd like to at least try giving anime a shot again after a brief resurgence of not watching it after like, 6 years.

Favorite genre(s): Fantasy, Comedy, and Action are favorites of mine, but I'm willing to try anything except Horror and Psychological. Two episodes of Higurashi was all I needed to be like "NOPE, I'm done".
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: I previously liked Slice of Life comedies like Lucky Star and Azumanga, but Shakugan no Shana was really my first venture into anime with any sort of action.
Specifics you're looking for: I liked Attack on Titan...but only the action part of it. The drama just felt way too drawn out, so action without gaps of 4 episodes between segments is definitely something I'd be interested in. I like the idea of relationships in anime: nothing like "I hope this classmate notices my feelings" or anything super obvious like that, but more subtle and developed over time, like the primary relationship developed in Shakugan no Shana.
Desired length: 22~26 episodes.
Anime you've already seen: Azumanga, Haruhi, K-On, Lucky Star, Shakugan no Shana 1+2, probably like 3 others I forgot I watched 6 years ago, and 22 episodes of Attack on Titan (not going back to that). And most of the Ghibli movies made after 1990.
Anything else?: I've been recommended Dance in the Vampire Bund and Railwars. Are they any good?

Back