Android or Apple?

Shining Raikou said:
I'm running Android version 4.1.2 on my Droid RAZR, while it does the job I am not impressed by my overall experience with Motorola. Before this, I had HTC phones, the Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible. They were pretty good to me for the time I owned them. So I have been using Android for about 3-4 years now.

What annoys me the most about my phone is that it the battery life sucks and the notifications are buggy, among other nitpicks. It takes a while to get my emails and app notifications or I don't get them at all. The design of the interface isn't very good looking either. Doesn't look anything like what Dustin posted because Motorola messed with it. The updates getting rolled out to your phone takes forever is a nitpick with Android overall. I am open to phones going forward honestly. I might jump ship to Apple since I recently bought a MacBook, have had 2 iPods now and been satisfied with those products. Before I do though, does anyone know of any upcoming/current Android phones that are pretty impressive? I know the Galaxy S4, but what else is there to check out?

If you want the awesome stock Android look, download Nova Launcher. [link]

If you're willing to totally switch your phone, right now, the best phone for Verizon is the Galaxy S4. I would recommend a Nexus, but those aren't on Verizon anymore. If you're willing to switch to AT&T, there are several options. You could do the Galaxy S4, the HTC One, or the Xperia Z.

I personally think the best option would be any phone from this page off contract with an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card. [link] The phones on that page all run stock Android and they won't have any stupid bugs like the notifications not working correctly. Updates will also come quickly.
Note: The Nexus 4 is the cheapest (and probably best) option there, but it does not support LTE. I would wait for the next Nexus phone to come out if you want a Nexus.

If you don't want to switch phones, here's what I recommend. If you're not happy with the stock ROM on your Razr, you might want to flash a custom ROM. ROMs are basically custom software for your device. It's a total system image, so it's like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8. If you want to do this, go here [link] and do some research. (hope that's the right device) Be careful though, it may be difficult if you haven't done it before and you always have a chance at bricking your device. Also, you'll probably void your warranty.

Hope I helped! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Motorola sucks. I would suggest switching phones and getting a Nexus 4, like Tsoliades mentioned. It runs pure Google, and stock Android is the best. I mean, S4s are nice, but the Nexus 4 prevails (as do all Nexus devices) if you want the best Android experience. If you don't want to switch, you'll be sticking with an ultra locked-down, ultra-modified "Android" OS.

Or download a launcher. I have never used Nova, but GOLauncher is nice, but it did lag on my device...

Nova launcher is nice. Ive tried quite a few, but none other than nova run as smooth. Even on my tf300t tablet it runs smooth.

Bumpity bump bump. :3

Apple. For my whole life, I've been in the middle of Apple products and feel like it's the best. :D Yeah, a stupid reason, but I think nothing stands up to Apple in the easiness of use and the coolness in its products.

I have an iPad, iPod, iPhone (which I'm writing on right now) and a MacBook Pro. For me, Apple is the best.

WOOOOOOO
Google should be announcing the new Nexus 7 today along with Android 4.3. Both have been leaked already, and they look awesome. The new Nexus 7 comes with various hardware improvements and Android 4.3 comes with a bunch of tweaks, and iirc "Project Roadrunner," which should greatly increase battery life.
Can't wait to get it on my Nexus 7 in a few days!

EDIT: Livestream. Now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns

Thanks for posting this, Tsoliades. I couldn't post it during my eight hour drive to Charleston, LOL. I cannot wait for Android 4.3! Improved battery life? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? My Nexus 7's battery life is phenomenal. Even on maximum brightness, the battery lasts about seven hours. :D

Dustin DeVine said:
Thanks for posting this, Tsoliades. I couldn't post it during my eight hour drive to Charleston, LOL. I cannot wait for Android 4.3! Improved battery life? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? My Nexus 7's battery life is phenomenal. Even on maximum brightness, the battery lasts about seven hours. :D

I can't wait, either! Google never specifically mentioned anything about battery life in the livestream, but someone got a Nexus 4 with leaked Android 4.3 a day or two before the conference. They did a battery test, and the results were phenomenal. [link]

Dustin DeVine said:
I am extremely excited for the new Chromecast, as well as the rumored Nexus 11,

Me too! It's pretty awesome, especially the price. I hope they make Google TV obsolete, though. It'd be a bit redundant to have a Chromecast and a Google TV. I'm still waiting for the Nexus 5 the most!

Dustin DeVine said:
With this minor OS update, what do you expect to see in Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie?

There's not much speculation as of now. I have no idea, and I don't think anyone else does, either. Surprise us, Google!

Apple, despite selling 20 percent more iPhones this quarter (about 31 million) than in 2012's Q2, actually sold fewer of them than it did in the first three months of this year. This had the effect of making the company's share of the smartphone market drop, from 18 percent in March to 14 percent now.

Dustin DeVine said:
The Google Play Store has just surpassed one million apps, as compared to Apple's nine hundred thousand applications.

http://www.droidbeans.com/google-play-surpasses-apple-app-store-with-over-1-million-apps/

Ohhhhhhh.gif

Dustin DeVine said:
The Google Play Store has just surpassed one million apps, as compared to Apple's nine hundred thousand applications.

http://www.droidbeans.com/google-play-surpasses-apple-app-store-with-over-1-million-apps/

I am not impressed considering how easy it is to develop for Androids.

I am a huge advocate for Google in everything aside from mobile devices. Their newer models are nice, and not terribly complicated like the older ones and Motorola. However, I do prefer the iPhone despite the stale improvements in the last year or so. It is undoubtedly more user friendly and, in my experience, runs more consistently than the Android devices I have familiarized myself with. Then you have the sleek design (and weight) that go relatively unmatched.

Do not get me started on how much I loathe Apple computers, though.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/windows-phone-android-vault-ahead-smartphone-market-share-6C10871655

I'm an android fan over apple. I've used both but went right back to android. I'm a huge power house user of phones. I like that with a higher end android device, I can make it do so much compared to apple. Both my iPhone and galaxy are modded, and the possibilities are endless with an Android device.

Even right now I can't say the quality of the appstore is as good as apples.

See Sig for details. :p

Sent from my HTC One w/ ViperOne FW

The Sony Xperia Z1 and Galaxy Note 3 (along with the new Galaxy tab and the Galaxy Gear, a smartwatch) were announced today at IFA 2013.

In other more important news that doesn't involve bloated phones from manufacturers that never push updates, LG is rumored to make the next Nexus phone. It was also spotted in the wild recently in Mountain View at the Google HQ. [link] There may be multiple Nexus phones this fall, as well, maybe even one by Motorola! [link]

Also, the next version of Android is not going to be Key Lime Pie, as expected. Instead, it will be KitKat! There will also be Android-themed KitKat bars made by Nestle in the near future. I think this is a great marketing technique by Google.

Anyway, that's it. I can't WAIT for the announcement of the new Nexus phone. The leaked one looks really slick.

I'm going to have to go with apple because it really permeates most of the technology within my life from my phone to my laptop and even recently, my TV. The quality is excellent in all products, however I regret being unable to play Pokekon games on my phone as can be done with Androids.

Back