Android or Apple?

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus
e5r347.png

Android or Apple?

Which do you prefer? Android or Apple? Why? What devices do you use?

Personally, I prefer Android. I enjoy Google's services and I love Android's customizability and openness. I do have to admit, though, Apple's devices are sleek and very well-designed, but there's just something about Android. Perhaps it's the friendlier feeling that I get when using Android devices, as compared to Apple's cold... elitist air. I don't know... I just ordered a Nexus 7, and I have yet to use it (it is currently shipping), but from what I have read, it is an amazing device. :)

So, which do you prefer?

Now, let's have a comparison of the two most recent Android and iOS operating systems: Android Jellybean 4.2 (4.3 will be released later in Q3) and iOS 7.

ios-android-homescreen.jpg

In my honest opinion, iOS 7 looks a lot better, but Android 4.2 runs much faster. I am huge on aesthetics, but I am willing to compromise a few aesthetic points, especially considering the fact that Android is far more customizable than iOS.[/font]

I moved this to News Headlines per the technological aspect of this thread and because it holds potential for some nice debate. Please remember to follow the OP and explain your answer.

Personally I say Apple. And actually, I've never owned an Android device so I can't really go into a lot of detail about what I don't like with Androids. My best friend has an Android though, and on small occasions when I've gone through her phone I've hated the functionality and just the overall display of it so I was not impressed. But again I haven't fully owned one so I'm obviously biased, but at least I'm not one of those people who automatically hates Androids even though they've never even had one before.

I also felt like my iPhone is a lot easier to navigate. That could have just been because I was unfamiliar with the Android but tbh, it wasn't very confusing when I was getting started on the iPhone.

Elite Stride said:
I also felt like my iPhone is a lot easier to navigate. That could have just been because I was unfamiliar with the Android but tbh, it wasn't very confusing when I was getting started on the iPhone.

I must agree -- iOS is far easier to navigate; Android sort of just throws you into the water without a life raft (excuse my metaphor). With Android, what you see isn't what you get. In fact, most things you see are not even to the full extent. Say for instance, I place a Google search widget on my home screen. Yes, it's just a Google search bar, but if I touch it and hold, I will have several nifty options (such as resizing the widget to fit the screen, which is very useful if you have OCD, like me).

I would like to see Google make Android a little easier to use for newcomers. Otherwise, I see no other flaws. When I used iOS, I usually experienced lag and tons of crashes (I couldn't even get into my Starbuck app for all of the crashing), so I gave up Apple back in 2011. Of course, that is when iOS 4 was released, so I should probably try iOS 7 before I make any dead-set conclusions.

Oh, does anyone have a Google GLΛSS?

Dustin DeVine said:

Pretty sure you can only get one now if you're a developer, and even then you need around $1,500 (plus charges to set it up) just to use it. I don't think anyone here is a developer and is willing to fork out that much money from their wallet. :p

unsheathed said:
Dustin DeVine said:

Pretty sure you can only get one now if you're a developer, and even then you need around $1,500 (plus charges to set it up) just to use it. I don't think anyone here is a developer and is willing to fork out that much money from their wallet. :p

Not necessarily. I think the criteria states that you must apply for the Explorer Edition, and THEN fork out $1,500.
http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-to-get-one/

Of course, applications have long been closed.

I prefer Apple for both aesthetics (well, until iOS7 has a wide release...I hate it) and functionality. Because iOS is pretty consistent, if you can work one product you can work them all, something that can't be said for the various phones and tablets that run Android differently. Granted some of that is because of differences in hardware, but overall I believe iOS is just much user-friendly.

Plus, there's the added benefit of iCloud. I have the full line of Apple products (iPod, iPad, iMac, Macbook, and the iPhone), so having synchronization between them is fantastic.

I had a HTC EVO prior to my iPhone and absolutely hated it. Couldn't get rid of it quick enough. It was so slow, almost laggy to the point of inoperability. It wasn't a memory issue, either, as the problem was present from day 1. My problems were enough for me to swear of Android forever.

I had a iPhone and iPod touch since 2009. I can say now that Apple has lost their touch. They can't be innovative without pleasing the consumer and for us tech guys we don't like it.

Apple is the same old same. It's the reason I moved to android and I love it since.

Sent from my HTC One

CMP said:
I had a HTC EVO prior to my iPhone and absolutely hated it. Couldn't get rid of it quick enough. It was so slow, almost laggy to the point of inoperability. It wasn't a memory issue, either, as the problem was present from day 1. My problems were enough for me to swear of Android forever.

Any HTC phone pre-Android 4.0 sucked. Imo, Android 4.0 is when Android started getting more user friendly and generally a better experience altogether.

But yeah, I am a massive Android fanboy. I love the whole Google experience and Google Music (much simpler system than iTunes, which is good too). Android integration with Google services is out of this world, and Google Drive/Google Contacts > iCloud.

The smoothness of Android 4.1 and 4.2... my god. I have a stock rooted Nexus 7 and a Galaxy S2 running Cyanogenmod 10.1 (both Android 4.2.2). The operating system is so much more advanced than anything I've ever used before. It's also elegant, as opposed to iOS 7, which I think looks too gaudy and cartoonish (and sometimes inconsistent in some areas from what we've seen so far in the beta releases).

The manufacturer skins are what turn a lot of people off of Android. I'm a huge advocate of stock Android ROMs/Nexus devices. Touchwiz looks cartoonish and ugly, the new Moto skin is too simple and kind of annoying, and LG's skin is just horrid. (The new HTC Sense is okay, though. It's minimalistic, and of course, a lot less laggy than previous HTC skins.) Stock Android (the screenshot that Dustin posted above) looks much different than what you would find on a stock Galaxy S4. I think it's much better.

Also, for people like me, I love to hack and customize things. As soon as I get an Android device, it's rooted and/or a ROM is installed. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of customization you can have with a stock Android device. You can completely change the look of your entire phone with as much as installing an app.

As you can see, I could go on about this forever.

I wish I can go stock on my current HTC. But I love a lot of the sense features and apps they provide.

Sent from my HTC One

Android.
It is what I'm looking for in a phone.

I can't stand how everyone I know treats me like I'm a lost soul for not using Apple.

Android. I like being able to develop my own stuff and see it work as it was meant to without needing to be dumbed down for iOS. The customization that comes with AOSP is awesome. CM10 is what im rocking on several of my android devices.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the audio department, since the US gets shafted out of wolfson dac based android phones (except the HTC One, but its not on verizon sadly yet), I stick with my 64GB iPhone 4S which is still rocking as the best sounding phone other than wolfson dac phones.

I still haven't figured out Apple-anything, but I've never even ever held an Android phone, so I'll have to say Apple :/

Android user 4 life.

I've used Android for at least three years now and I've never been disappointed once. There's really nothing that an Apple product can provide me with that I either feel like I need, don't have with an Android product, or want.

dmaster out.

I used an iPhone for a very long time and was generally happy about the quality and features it has. I also have a Macbook Pro and a regular laptop with Windows. My main computer also runs Windows.

I use my Macbook Pro mainly for university and my other laptop and computer for everything else. I found it handy that my agenda was always synchronized with my phone (as well as all my Safari bookmarks, Contacts, and more). Apple products work very well together, but don't work well with non-Apple products, from my experience. To make the best out of Apple, all your products have to be from them, which I don't like.

After iTunes had an update and did not recognize my iPhone, I would have to connect it as if it were new to the computer. This meant all my videos, music (I have over 3000 songs on my phone), and applications would be removed and I would have to re-install the applications and transfer all files again. It happened more than once in the past as well. This is why I decided to get rid of my iPhone and buy my Xperia Z. It is my first Android phone. I have had a HTC running Windows Mobile and a Blackberry running whatever Blackberry phones run.

I am extremely happy with the compatibility and the ability to customize things much more to personal preference on my Android phone and I am planning to stick with it. I am still very happy with my Macbook Pro and it never seems to lag or get slower (I've had it for more than 2 years now).

I will just have to live with the fact that my phone and Macbook don't synchronize agendas anymore.

I have to go with Apple, honestly. I own an iPhone so I learned to like all of it's features. I've never used an Android in my life.

Drohn said:
After iTunes had an update and did not recognize my iPhone, I would have to connect it as if it were new to the computer. This meant all my videos, music (I have over 3000 songs on my phone), and applications would be removed and I would have to re-install the applications and transfer all files again. It happened more than once in the past as well. This is why I decided to get rid of my iPhone and buy my Xperia Z.

Drohn said:
I will just have to live with the fact that my phone and Macbook don't synchronize agendas anymore.

The Xperia Z is a great phone. Nice!
You should start using Chrome as your browser and Google Contacts. Everything synchronizes perfectly, even with a Mac. Also, try Google Play Music. It's not as annoying as iTunes, imo.

Tsoliades said:
The Xperia Z is a great phone. Nice!
You should start using Chrome as your browser and Google Contacts. Everything synchronizes perfectly, even with a Mac. Also, try Google Play Music. It's not as annoying as iTunes, imo.

Thanks for the tip! I already use Chrome on my phone, but I still use Safari on my computers since all my bookmarks (I have many :p), etc. are saved and synchronized with it. I will definitely switch to Chrome on all my devices at some point!

I don't use iTunes anymore. I never used it for playing music, but it was required to put music from my computer on my phone when I had an iPhone. Now that I have an Android, it is much easier!

I'm running Android version 4.1.2 on my Droid RAZR, while it does the job I am not impressed by my overall experience with Motorola. Before this, I had HTC phones, the Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible. They were pretty good to me for the time I owned them. So I have been using Android for about 3-4 years now.

What annoys me the most about my phone is that it the battery life sucks and the notifications are buggy, among other nitpicks. It takes a while to get my emails and app notifications or I don't get them at all. The design of the interface isn't very good looking either. Doesn't look anything like what Dustin posted because Motorola messed with it. The updates getting rolled out to your phone takes forever is a nitpick with Android overall. I am open to phones going forward honestly. I might jump ship to Apple since I recently bought a MacBook, have had 2 iPods now and been satisfied with those products. Before I do though, does anyone know of any upcoming/current Android phones that are pretty impressive? I know the Galaxy S4, but what else is there to check out?

Back