Alolan Forms, New Pokemon, Island Challenges, and Z-Moves in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

New variations of Kanto Pokémon, with two having brand new Type combos? Sold!

I really dig Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales and Alolan Sandshrew/Sandlash. I'm actually more fond of that new Sandslash, though. Dragon Exeggutor was not something I'd expected, but I like surprises, so this was a bonus.

Here's hoping for more variations. I'm curious for what they could do for more of Kanto's memorable species like Venonant/Venomoth and Meowth/Persian, in particular. I'm sure a Psychic Venomoth would be welcomed by many, while a Dark Typed subspecies of Persian would be adored by everyone, and personally speaking, it would surely be a good move by Game Freak to make up for not giving the Dark Type naturally to any of the original 150 or 151 Pokémon.

Subspecies is a well overdue concept that I'm sure they will do excellently with this coming generation.

That aside, here are some thoughts I have on the new Pokémon shown so far.

-Gumshoos: It's definitely gonna be building that wall for sure. My only gripe is that it's not part Dark-Type, which would fit so well, because, reasons. Not having a noticeable weakness to Bugs and Fairies is a plus, I guess? As long as it learns Hyper Fang and has passable power and speed for lower tier play, I'm all good. If I am smart with my strategy, Trumgoos would definitely screw one over when they least expect it.

-Mudbray: A donkey Pokémon, at long last. PIMPNITE's definitely doing another Shrek Team, for sure. That aside, I saw a pre-evolution for Mudsdale a mile away, although I never thought it would be a donkey of some sort.

-Minior: Luma's distant cousin, perhaps? Rock/Flying is an odd choice for it's Type combo, but if it made Gyarados useful enough for six generations straight, I'm sure the same might be said for this gravitational stone. Shields Down is probably a one-off and permanent Stance Change for each battle by the looks of it.

-Fomantis and Lurantis: Another mantis Pokémon, it seems. I dig the latter's majestic and elegant appearance. Both seem to be the Petilil and Lilligant of Alola, respectively. I like my nods to past generations, and it seems like Game Freak's doing good on that part.

-Oricorio: Pokémon with different variations are always welcomed. I see it has an Ability that enables it to copy dance-based moves of opposing Pokémon. Assuming it would have passable physical attack, seeing it copy a Dragon Dance would give it a good niche compared to past avian Pokémon, regardless of whatever tier it falls in.

Z-Moves are insane. If used right, Pikachu would be no laughing matter anymore in combat. Curious to see if that would also work with all four Starter Pokémon's evolutions.

So much WOW. I dont care for ice fairy type Ninetails because of how overpowered it sounds but it really seems like they are going all out in this game but for battles, its seems this will be another offensive generation where getting one hit kills matter. I wonder what they are doing to address more defensive play styles. Im also glad to have a ghost/flying bird Pokemon since its one I've always wanted.

Can't wait to play this game. Maybe I can get a Electric/Flying Pidgeot?

If you get a vulpix egg from this new ice vulpix, you will get a normal vulpix? 'couse the egg wasn't on the mountain so the hatchling is fire tipe?

If you get a vulpix egg from this new ice vulpix, you will get a normal vulpix? 'couse the egg wasn't on the mountain so the hatchling is fire tipe?

Ooh that's a good point we don't know how that will work. Personally I think it should breed Snopix but it could work either way.

Disappointed with Coconut tree's dragon typing, sometimes I feel Pokemon is out to make everything dragon type. The ice Vulpix is just beautiful and the Ninetales looks so majestic! The Z-Move thing really bummed me out, this is Pokemon not Marvel vs. Capcom; I strongly believe we don't need "Special High Damage Moves".

NEED ALOLAN NINETALES. Also, the Island Trials might not mean getting rid of Gyms for Alola. It might just be a sidequest-like thing, added on to the main storyline.

I'm beginning to think that these are the Alolan native formes of these Pokemon, and if you want the traditional form, you'll need to import it from Gen1/Gen6.

Alolan Marowak will obviously be based on a Fire Dancer. Funny how they could take a Pokemon previously associated so closely with death and turn it into something purely for fun and entertainment.

Since vulpix evolves with a fire stone, I wonder how the new form evolves. There is no fairy or ice stone...Unless Alola has them now.

yes no eeveelution but eevee could have an alolan form

Or the Eeveelutions gain new types

Leafeon -> Poison
Sylveon -> Ghost
Glaceon -> Steel
Flareon -> Dragon
Jolteon -> Ground
Umbreon -> Fighting
Espeon -> Flying
Vaporeon -> Rock

Cant think of what to do with Bug :/

Since vulpix evolves with a fire stone, I wonder how the new form evolves. There is no fairy or ice stone...Unless Alola has them now.

Or just use the Icy rock principle?

Make it only accessible after defeating certain gyms/trials?

EDIT:
Not sure if already mentioned,
None of the trial captains are wearing a Z-ring,
and they all have some 4-leaf-clover symbol, with only 4 colors,
which seems to mean there will really only be 4 main islands.

Whether they replace the 8 gym leaders, is another story altogether.

Also, doesn't seem like Mega Evolution is appearing anywhere.
no mega rings or stones or anything that hints to it :/

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed this?!
13900368_1336633003031833_4469147606578533668_n.jpg

13902732_1336627196365747_1744619103998978390_n.jpg

Guys, I have a question so in Red and Blue, you can get Shinies of Legendaries based on their stats, they will appear in G/S as shiny, I want to know if this will work from the Virtual Console into S/M I need to know if it's worth Shiny hunting Mew, Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres

Lurantis's description: It’s said to be the most gorgeous of all Grass-type Pokemon, due to its brilliant coloration and elegant moves.

I made the mistake of reading that aloud. My Lilligant started rushing my computer screen screaming "Oh yeah?! Fight me bro!" and I had to hold her back with all my strength. :eek:

Guys, I have a question so in Red and Blue, you can get Shinies of Legendaries based on their stats, they will appear in G/S as shiny, I want to know if this will work from the Virtual Console into S/M I need to know if it's worth Shiny hunting Mew, Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres

Until they decide to release VC Gold Silver Crystal that can communicate with VC RBY,
we have to assume that the Pokemon won't be shiny, as "it wasn't intended to be shiny",
and it will maintain the Canon from Player's POV.
And they have done this before.

For example, when they expanded the Shiny formula for XY (and subsequently Generation VI),
the value returnsed from the formula now only has to be less than 16 to result in a Shiny,
rather than less than 8.
[formua: (TrainerID xor SecretID) xor (PersonalityValue31..16 xor PersonalityValue15..0)]

That statement above means that if you had a Pokemon in Pokemon Black with the calculated value of 15,
when imported to XY, it could have been shiny.
How Gamefreak countered this was to simply reassign a PID value so that the calculation would return a non-shiny Pokemon.

With all that said and done, until they decided to make the game compatible with a VC GSC,
they could easily claim it to be non-canon from player's POV.

That's probably why main legendaries with overworld sprites cannot be encountered shiny nowadays,
as it would appear "non-canonical"

Also as a side note, it is likely that VC Glitched Mew would not be transferable.
There is only one legit VC Mew released, and it was in Japan.
That mew contained characters in nickname and OT that are normally not possible to have,
hence any Mew without those characters could be flagged as illegal on Pokebank.

Until they decide to release VC Gold Silver Crystal that can communicate with VC RBY,
we have to assume that the Pokemon won't be shiny, as "it wasn't intended to be shiny",
and it will maintain the Canon from Player's POV.
And they have done this before.

For example, when they expanded the Shiny formula for XY (and subsequently Generation VI),
the value returnsed from the formula now only has to be less than 16 to result in a Shiny,
rather than less than 8.
[formua: (TrainerID xor SecretID) xor (PersonalityValue31..16 xor PersonalityValue15..0)]

That statement above means that if you had a Pokemon in Pokemon Black with the calculated value of 15,
when imported to XY, it could have been shiny.
How Gamefreak countered this was to simply reassign a PID value so that the calculation would return a non-shiny Pokemon.

With all that said and done, until they decided to make the game compatible with a VC GSC,
they could easily claim it to be non-canon from player's POV.

That's probably why main legendaries with overworld sprites cannot be encountered shiny nowadays,
as it would appear "non-canonical"

Also as a side note, it is likely that VC Glitched Mew would not be transferable.
There is only one legit VC Mew released, and it was in Japan.
That mew contained characters in nickname and OT that are normally not possible to have,
hence any Mew without those characters could be flagged as illegal on Pokebank.
Okay thanks for the clarification I have been searching the internet for it with no answers I agree with you that they were only shiny in G/S due to the shiny formula in that game :p the problem is if they die turn out to be shiny I'll only find out after the game releases which means I will have finished the game by then and won't get to have a shiny Mega Mewtwo throughout the game :,(

So much WOW. I dont care for ice fairy type Ninetails because of how overpowered it sounds but it really seems like they are going all out in this game but for battles, its seems this will be another offensive generation where getting one hit kills matter. I wonder what they are doing to address more defensive play styles. Im also glad to have a ghost/flying bird Pokemon since its one I've always wanted.

Can't wait to play this game. Maybe I can get a Electric/Flying Pidgeot?
Bring on the Electric / Flying Mega Pidgeot.

There's so many things that I start to question about the Alolan versions and the original versions of their species in terms of breeding.

Does the mother determine the type or is it based on if they're born within the region? I'm expecting it depends on the mother so you can have all the different types available

Can they pass types of attacks they normally wouldn't be able to learn such as the Fire Vulpix inheriting their father's Ice moves? Think about the possibilities...

This could be fun.

Back