Alolan Forms, New Pokemon, Island Challenges, and Z-Moves in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

I love the fact that they're bringing us more viable Ice typings. I do still hope they modify the type-chart itself, given that even Ice-Steel has it's problems (despite being half steel - the best defensive type in the game), but just getting Ice-Steel & Ice-Fairy gives a greater chance to make an Ice-type Pokemon more viable, assuming they have the stats to go with it. I do kinda wish that they'd've come up with new, unique Pokemon for such new, unique typings, but at least I can say the result looks amazing. I'm likely gonna have to find room for one of those on my team - I do like Ice types despite their poor defensive typing.

Alolan Exeggutor makes sense, and is an interesting Pokemon, but looks so silly. I do hope we get some other Grass-Dragon beyond just this, though - if not this gen, then next - simply because I think they can do loads better than a tall palm tree that's a dragon because reasons (as opposed to a short palm tree that's psychic because... reasons).

I love the four birds, as well as their typings (yay, more ghosts!). Their ability could get out-of-control real fast in double/triple battles, though, which admittedly could be hilarious.

I love Lurantis' design, but really wish it was more than just a straight grass-type. Combined with its dependence on Sunny Day (particularly to use its ability), it's just doesn't seem that useful, particularly given the amount of more useful grass-types out there. Looks gorgeous, but not sure if I'd actually use it.

Minior's pretty cool, but I'll need to see stats before I can really judge it, given how the Pokemon works with its ability.

I love the decision to mix things up with this Island Challenge instead of the traditional League structure. Keeps the heart of the challenge alive while changing how it works, which is a good way to step into a new idea for the standard structure of the games. I like how the Trial Captains all seem to have different focuses in terms of challenging you, as well as different personalities to match. Hopefully, they & the Kahunas will be fairly involved in the story, too. And the fact that you have various different battles to go through, and have to fight against these interesting Totem Pokemon even before you battle the Kahuna (who might be fighting with those Guardian Pokemon, given how the later choose the former). It's just a cool set-up!

I'm really hoping the Poke-Ride replaces HM moves, because good lord do they need to get rid of those already. Seriously, HM requirements & the difficulty in forgetting them are the things that have frustrated me the most since I started playing in Gen IV. I want to be able to train my team to the best of my ability, and use interesting move sets for coverage & combos, but HMs always get in the way. I had to teach my Togekiss in Y Fly instead of Air Slash just so I wouldn't have to constantly mess with the PC to go everywhere. Also, needing to teach Sharpedo Surf in Alpha Sapphire to take advantage of its surf speed, despite the fact that it's a physical attacker. It's annoying, and if Poke-Ride replaces the need for that (I'm fine with it being an option), than all the better.

Also, Z-Moves. Obviously, tied to Zygarde. I like that it gives another option to make a Pokemon more powerful outside of Megas, but really, you're still gonna want to use this on already-powerful Pokemon to get a OHKO in competitive. Also, you still get to use a Mega on top of that (as far as we know - would be odd if you couldn't, given a Mega is still better than a one-off Z-Move), so Megas aren't going anywhere. Despite what some people are saying, I still want new Megas, too. While Megas have been given to some Pokemon that really don't need them (*cough*Garchomp*cough*), they've also brought a lot of other Pokemon up into the realm of usability (Mawile, Kangaskhan, Beedrill, Audino, ect). I'd like to see more of that. As for the Z-Moves, I'll have to wait and see how useful (or overpowered) they really are in-game.

Last edited:
Also, Z-Moves. Obviously, tied to Zygarde. I like that it gives another option to make a Pokemon more powerful outside of Megas, but really, you're still gonna want to use this on already-powerful Pokemon to get a OHKO in competitive. Also, you still get to use a Mega on top of that (as far as we know - would be odd if you couldn't, given a Mega is still better than a one-off Z-Move), so Megas aren't going anywhere.
Oh yeah, Z moves, and Zygarde are obviously linked. This continues to convince me we're going to Kalos...

Anyways, the Mega Evolution + Z combo is gonna be overused in the meta game. But yeah, Megas aren't going anywhere. I'd be shocked if they just flat out dropped on of the most revolutionary additions in Pokemon history after just one generation.

So in the image for the Alola ride, it looks like the trainer is holding a type of Pokeball that we have never seen before. I wonder if it is just the art or if this is a good sign that we can look forward to new Pokeballs! I sure hope so. Not sure if anyone else already pointed that out.

Also I'm pumped about everything. But I don't want the Challenge Trials and Trial Captains to replace gym leaders. I want to have both. But we'll see how it goes. I'll love the game regardless. I have been playing since Red and Blue and am not going to stop now. but I can hope. ^_^

Last edited:
Also, Z-Moves. Obviously, tied to Zygarde. I like that it gives another option to make a Pokemon more powerful outside of Megas, but really, you're still gonna want to use this on already-powerful Pokemon to get a OHKO in competitive. Also, you still get to use a Mega on top of that (as far as we know - would be odd if you couldn't, given a Mega is still better than a one-off Z-Move), so Megas aren't going anywhere. Despite what some people are saying, I still want new Megas, too. While Megas have been given to some Pokemon that really don't need them (*cough*Garchomp*cough*), they've also brought a lot of other Pokemon up into the realm of usability (Mawile, Kangaskhan, Beedrill, Audino, ect). I'd like to see more of that. As for the Z-Moves, I'll have to wait and see how useful (or overpowered) they really are in-game.

Uhhm... But for mega evolution, the pokemon needs to hold an item: the mega stone. With Z-Moves the pokemon also need to hold an item: the corresponding type of crystal. So, I think is imposible to use both at same time, 'couse Pokémon only can hold one item... Or you mean use a Z-Move in battle, then switch Pokémon and use a mega?

So in the image for the Alola ride, it looks like the trainer is holding a type of Pokeball that we have never seen before. I wonder if it is just the art or if this is a good sign that we can look forward to new Pokeballs! I sure hope so. Not sure if anyone else already pointed that out.
Wow good catch! Guess I didn't pay much attention to that piece of art it seems. That pokeball looks really cool and I wish it was real but considering these riding pokemon are "rental" ones I suspect the pokeball is just related to that feature. I sure hope I'm wrong tho since it looks so cool :^)

Who else thinks that Alolan Exeggutor shouldn't have Dragon typing? If anything, he should be the Psychic one and the OTHER be Dragon. o_O:p

Who else thinks that Alolan Exeggutor shouldn't have Dragon typing? If anything, he should be the Psychic one and the OTHER be Dragon. o_O:p
The reasoning behind Alolan Exeggutor's typing is it's not only based on a palm tree, but also a dragon tree. And yeah, they just slap this type on anything now. A slug, a bat, sentient seaweed, and a freakin' tree... But at least this time it had a bit of a reason, rather than Goodra, Noivern or Dragalge...

I think the introduction of Alolan form Pokémon offers us a deeper understanding of what Pokémon really are. (What I say from here may sound odd or terribly unorganized but please bear with me)

It's often thought that a Pokémon's type is core to a Pokémon's life. We can see that popular idea from comics or memes where Golem dies by being sprayed with water, or Quagsire being seriously injured by rolling in a patch of grass. The funny thing is, this wouldn't make any sense, even in the Pokémon world. Water and grass are too common in nature to be life-threatening to actual living beings.

Instead, I like to think of Pokémon type weaknesses to be like when cats don't like getting wet, so they instinctively avoid it. We could say that maintaining dry skin feels more comfortable to Golem, or Quagsire happen to enjoy playing in mud rather than grass.

Now this connects to Alolan forms because they are Pokémon that completely changed their types. The well known fire type vulpix and ground type sandshrew were suddenly revealed to have ice type variants. When we always thought they were living manifestations of fire and earth, they weren't. The types changed, but something stayed the same. Their categories. Though an ice type, vulpix is still vulpix, a fox Pokémon, while sandshrew is still sandshrew, a mouse Pokémon. This, I think, shows that Pokémon are more like animals in the real world than we thought them to be. In this perspective, Pokémon categories seem much more significant. We've been ignoring them for so long, but maybe categories will help us speculate, imagine or predict how Pokémon behavior would be in real life more than types ever did.

It's often thought that a Pokémon's type is core to a Pokémon's life. We can see that popular idea from comics or memes where Golem dies by being sprayed with water, or Quagsire being seriously injured by rolling in a patch of grass. The funny thing is, this wouldn't make any sense, even in the Pokémon world. Water and grass are too common in nature to be life-threatening to actual living beings.

Instead, I like to think of Pokémon type weaknesses to be like when cats don't like getting wet, so they instinctively avoid it. We could say that maintaining dry skin feels more comfortable to Golem, or Quagsire happen to enjoy playing in mud rather than grass.

I've always thought those memes were silly, since elements in the environment are clearly different from pokemon attacks. Like even the weakest fire attack is literal fire and the weakest water attack is a highly pressurized jet, and those would hurt even humans. Pokemon are superpowered, and I thought that was illustrated well at the start of B/W, when your Lv 5 Tackle fight completely trashes your bedroom. So yeah, Golem doesn't resist water attacks from pokemon well, but that doesn't mean it would faint on a rainy day.

Anyway, what I really like about the Alolan forms is how rooted they are in ecology and actual evolution, more than Pokemon has ever been before. It definitely shows Pokemon are adaptable and resilient, even to the point of changing shape and type. GameFreak is now thinking more about the region and how it would affect what pokemon live in it, both with the new forms and all the Hawaiian wildlife-inspired ones. And I like that especially because it counters the theory that Pokemon are basically spirits or human memetics (we start building and thinking about pokeballs and Voltorb shows up, we think about Pikachu and Mimikyu shows up, etc). Sun and Moon is making pokemon life look much more like a biological process than before. So even though I love getting brand new pokemon, I wouldn't be upset at all if they introduce more regional forms every gen.

The reasoning behind Alolan Exeggutor's typing is it's not only based on a palm tree, but also a dragon tree. And yeah, they just slap this type on anything now. A slug, a bat, sentient seaweed, and a freakin' tree... But at least this time it had a bit of a reason, rather than Goodra, Noivern or Dragalge...
When you're criticizing Dragalge you should also be criticizing Kingdra, because Dragalge is not "sentient Seaweed" but based on a seahorse. Especially in asian countries, seahorses share a mythological relation with dragons and are often even being described as dragons. ;)

When you're criticizing Dragalge you should also be criticizing Kingdra, because Dragalge is not "sentient Seaweed" but based on a seahorse. Especially in asian countries, seahorses share a mythological relation with dragons and are often even being described as dragons. ;)

Furthermore, they're not just seahorses, but they both bear similarities from the weedy and leafy sea dragons.

Furthermore, they're not just seahorses, but they both bear similarities from the weedy and leafy sea dragons.
I actually didn't know that. I always thought they were living beings that needed to be shrouded in seaweed to survive out of the water, or for camouflage in the water, eventually becoming part of the seaweed it had, which is what led me to think that. But I did know about Kingdra's dragon typing, and why it was that, which is why I didn't put it in. Thank you for telling me! :)

Tauros is getting an Alola form?? Or I just see him with white fur in that lovely pic of Alola full of Pokémon and people?

Edit: Just noticed the shooting star in te same picture! (top left) but a shooting star at day time? Weird...

Last edited:
Tauros is getting an Alola form?? Or I just see him with white fur in that lovely pic of Alola full of Pokémon and people?

Edit: Just noticed the shooting star in te same picture! (top left) but a shooting star at day time? Weird...
I just think it's the ligthing on the picture that makes the fur look lighter :p
Also the shooting star might be a Minior falling from the sky :p

I love the fact that they're bringing us more viable Ice typings. I do still hope they modify the type-chart itself, given that even Ice-Steel has it's problems (despite being half steel - the best defensive type in the game), but just getting Ice-Steel & Ice-Fairy gives a greater chance to make an Ice-type Pokemon more viable, assuming they have the stats to go with it. I do kinda wish that they'd've come up with new, unique Pokemon for such new, unique typings, but at least I can say the result looks amazing. I'm likely gonna have to find room for one of those on my team - I do like Ice types despite their poor defensive typing.
I too hope they finally fix the type chart. Adding Fairy-type last generation was great... making Fairy-type practically unbeatable with uncommon weaknesses and common resistances, not so much.

I'd at least like to see Ice-type gain resistances to Dragon, Ghost, Dark and Fairy, and I also think Water, Electric, Grass, Flying and Psychic should gain a resistance to Fairy-type. I also say Steel-type should regain its resistance to Dark-type, and that it should loose its resistance to Ice-type--cold metal is brittle metal, and several heavy hitters like Ferrothorn and Skarmory could stand to see another weakness, which they'd gain is Steel didn't resist Ice.

Wait... Unown will be able to learn a move other than Hidden Power? BLASPHEMY!
What? Where was this seen?

Last edited:
I too hope they finally fix the type chart. Adding Fairy-type last generation was great... making Fairy-type practically unbeatable with uncommon weaknesses and common resistances, not so much.

I'd at least like to see Ice-type gain resistances to Dragon, Ghost, Dark and Fairy, and I also think Water, Electric, Grass, Flying and Psychic should gain a resistance to Fairy-type. I also say Steel-type should regain its resistance to Dark-type, and that it should loose its resistance to Ice-type--cold metal is brittle metal, and several heavy hitters like Ferrothorn and Skarmory could stand to see another weakness, which they'd gain is Steel didn't resist Ice.

What? Where was this seen?

If Unown has a Psychic hidden power, it will be able to learn a Psychic Z-move.

Also, Gumshoos for Champion 2016. He'll build a wall out of Strength boulders to keep out those Kanto-native Pokemon. He's going to reveal Jynx's deleted emails. He's going to make Alola strong again, safe again, rich again, and great again.

Back