Alolan Forms, New Pokemon, Island Challenges, and Z-Moves in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

Once again, we've gotten a juicy bit of new information.

The Alolan forme Pokemon are awesome. Exeggutor is now actually a palm tree and is our first Grass/Dragon, Vulpix and Ninetales now have awesome snow fox forms and Ninetales is our first Ice/Fairy and Sandshrew and Sandslash have awesome ice formes and are our first Ice/Steel types. Also, judging from the trailer, they'll have new moves to go with their new types (it'd make no sense if Alolan Ninetales could use a fire type move). One thing interests me. Will Exeggutor get dragon moves instead of psychic moves to coincide with it's new type and will Exeggcute be a different form like Vulpix and Sandshrew? Also, Vulpix usually evolves into Ninetales with a Fire Stone. With it now being an ice type, will they make a new stone to go with it, will it evolve to same way as Glaceon, will it just evolve by simply leveling up or will you just have to level it up in a snowy place? Hopefully they'll have more of these Pokemon in future because these definitely give new uses to some older Pokemon.

Oricorio is interesting; it has four formes with types Fire/Flying, Electric/Flying, Psychic/Flying and Ghost/Flying and its Dancer ability allows for some interesting strategies. It's ability dancer allows it to copy dance moves such as Dragon Dance, Feather Dance, Fiery Dance, Lunar Dance, Petal Dance, Quiver Dance, Rain Dance, Swords Dance and Teeter Dance as well as the Pokemon's new move of Revelation Dance. Most Dance moves are really good moves with great effects so Dancer is a great ability. A funny thing that could happen is if Oricorio is forced to copy the opponent when they use Lunar Dance, causing Oricorio to faint.

As most people suspected, Mudsdale got a pre-evolution in the form of Mudbray. It's description is quite depressing. Why would you hunt to extinction something that carry 50 times its own weight (12125 Ibs!) - In it's pre-evolution form? Otherwise nothing new here.

Minior is an interesting Pokemon. It has great defensive stats when it has it's shell up and when it's shell breaks, it seems to swap its defensive stats for better speed and attack stats (similar to shell smash). An interesting thing about Minior is that underneath the shell it can be a different color such as yellow, orange, pink or blue. Judging from the description, does this mean that each color is a new form or does it change color it times its shell breaks?

Nothing really new with Gumshoos. No new ability or even a new type. It just looks like a bigger, bipedal Yungoos with a large nose. Why they named it Gumshoos is also beyond me.

Fomantis and Lurantis are some of the few Pokemon I have seen and instantly liked. While they have no new abilities or types, their designs (in my opinion) are awesome. Hopefully it'll have an evolution beyond Lurantis.

It seems that Pokemon has made a huge change to their usual formula; they've gotten rid of the traditional gyms and gym leaders! Ever since seeing the Art for the Alola region map, I thought that it was odd you couldn't see any gyms and this proves it. Instead you'll need to undergo a series or trials before being able to move on to the next island. Totem Pokemon seem like a nice challenge instead of just ordinary Pokemon like those of gym leaders in previous games but I don't you'll be able to use Totem Pokemon. Something that interests me are the kahunas. Even though they've revealed the trail captains, they've only reveal one kahuna; Hala. This may mean that one or more of the kahunas could be people from previous games. Or I'm overthinking this and they're simply saving information to reveal at another time (It could be because it says on the official site that the kahunas are chosen by the Guardian Pokemon on that island meaning they'll reveal the other kahunas as they reveal the other Guardian Pokemon).

We finally know what the yellow crystal was for. Z-moves are interesting in that they may be able to be used in online battles, which could instantly turn the tide of a battle. It seems that there is a specific move for each type with Electric types having Gigavolt Havoc, Grass types having Bloom Doom, Fire types having Inferno Overdrive and Water Types having Hydro Vortex. Also, judging from the description on the official Pokemon website, there is a Z crystal for each type, meaning 18 Z crystals and you'll have to make the Pokemon have the Z crystal, meaning you'll have to sacrifice use of an item to be able to use Z moves. Since there are 18 Z crystals, we'll probably either have to find them around the Alola Region or earn them through some sort of trial for each one.

We can finally ride Pokemon. Sort of. You seem to be able to call on certain Pokemon with a new feature called Poke ride which allows you to ride them. The Pokemon that you are shown to be able to ride are Tauros, Mudsdale, Sharpedo, Charizard, Lapras and Stoutland, all of which have specific abilities such as Tauros being able to break rocks, Mudsdale being able to go over rocky ground, Sharpedo being able to smash rocks on the ocean and Stoutland being able to smell things (perhaps items). The only ones they don't show to do anything special are Charizard and Lapras but its likely that you'll be able to soar through the sky like in ORAS (its awesome that they're keeping that feature) with Charizard but I'm not sure what Lapras can specifically do. Maybe they'll replace HMs which would be awesome. While we can't ride our own Pokemon, this is still pretty cool so I can't really complain.

Thats all the information for now.

(There's also an image people may want. Enjoy)

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    801.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
EDIT: OMG guys what if Poké Rides replace friggin HMs???

Yeah, this is clearly what they're going for. At first I hated how the Pokemon all have weird harnesses on them, but it makes sense if they're a rental service. And I like how this is an element inspired by gameplay, since you won't have to train an HM slave or make sure you have a surfer in your party all the time. Still, I hope you can ride your own equivalent Pokemon if you have them.

It looks epic, but the typing...

I am really happy with all the love for Grass and Ice type. I hope it's a sign for a great buff for these underdog types.

Please Gamefreak! Ice/Steel would be pretty bad without a buff. 4x weak to Fire and Fighting, and still weak to Ground. Ice resisting Ground would make some amount of sense. Also Ice should be super-effective against Fire, since ice is literally just cold water.

I'm probably just being greedy though, since I like Sandshrew and Ninetales so much. At least their combos counteract the Ice weaknesses to Rock and Steel on one side and Fighting on the other.

The first thing I saw was the new Exeggutor and the initial thought was 'wtf?' Obviously new formes of Gen 1 pokemon wasn't what I was expecting. That said, the new Ninetales looks incredible, and it makes sense that pokemon aren't all the same across the globe. I look forward to seeing if there are going to be any more.

I've very excited about these Island Trials. *If* they're going to replace the Gym experience and give us an Orange Islands series vibe, I am so very up of that. Gym battles had become so trivialised and easy by X&Y that I welcome the change. And if it's just an added thing next to gym battles, then it's going to be fun still.

Last edited:
Three things I've read in the comments are not confirmed yet, but people write about it as if it is the truth...

1. No gyms. When has it been confirmed? It has not. Still speculations.
2. No mega's. Why not? They exist in Gen 6, why not in Gen 7? That would be weird.
3. No HM. We did have fly and soar in ORAS. Why not in SunMoon?

Nothing really new with Gumshoos. No new ability or even a new type. It just looks like a bigger, bipedal Yungoos with a large nose. Why they named it Gumshoos is also beyond me.

A gumshoe is a detective. Gumshoos hunts by staking out its prey. Gumshoe + Mongoose.

Exeggutor is going to be one of my catches that stays in the PC. Also Alolan (Is that how you spell it?) Vulpix and Ninetales are absol-lutely majestic. Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash are epic and cute. Minior is definitely from Kirby and Oricorio might be good if it has the right stats. Gumshoos, *Claps slowly* I get it, Gumshoos, Gumshoes. The Trial Captains look very good. Z-Moves are epic and they're Z-MOves, most likely related to Zygarde. I think you know where that is going for me.

latest
Anyone else have this guy pop into their mind when they saw "Gumshoos"? I thought that was a neat little reference to Pheonix Wright. :p (richard Gumshoe from Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney)
I did but it's more of the fact that Gumshoos is a pun on the slang word for detectives: Gumshoe, which Gumshoe's own name is based on.
In other words it's a detective mongoose and hence its Stake Out ability.

Gumshoos is literally Donald Trump, and will fence off Alola from the rest of the world, because he feels like it.
But remember Yungoos are not native to Alola... Well, so does white Americans...
And it reminds me, they are yet to reveal the Pokemon that people brought Yungoos to control.

So something just occurred to me. Do you still evolve Alola Vulpix into Alola Ninetales with a Fire Stone? Because that wouldn't make a lick of sense. Unless there's an Ice Stone now or something.
Alolan Vulpix is moreso a form of Vulpix than it's own Pokemon. I'm fully expecting a Fire Stone to evolve it because it's just a form. It's still Vulpix.

The Oricoro formes are some of the coolest designs I've ever seen, the rest are lame (except the Lurantis line)

Especially the Alola formes...

I love the concept of pokemon changing forms according to the region and/or the environment. Vulpix and (especially) Ninetales have always been favorites for me (sandshrew and sandslash as well) but I gotta say I'm not a fan and truly prefer their regular forms. The typings however are really cool. Ironically Exeggcutor, a pokemon I've always hated design wise, I find more appealing in it's new form, although the dragon typing is very unexpected. So many contradictions lol. Hoping for other old pokemon to get this treatment as well.

On the pokemon I think the donkey and the baby mantis are adorable but it bothers me that it is not part bug type. The larger mantis is fine but not my cup of tea (yet?). I like minior and hope it has a cool evolution. On yungoos evo I have to say I finally found the first pokemon I truly dislike from those revealed so far and that's really a shame since I really like yungoos and was even considering using one in my team.

Regarding zmoves I'm still a little indiferent. I remeber the starters got new signature moves in black/white which I thought was cool, but those ended up not been too helpful in the end. These ones seem like they're going to be crazy strong tho but I'd like more info before I give them any more thought.

Finally, riding pokemon has been the piece of news that interested me the most and I wished we had a bit more on this or a few more rideable pokemon revealdd besides charizard. All in all I'm very excited about these games and can't wait to play them already!

Whoa, that's a lot of new infos. I'm getting stoked, but I'm a little afraid of the new changes to Gym Leaders (assuming it is) might not be as good as the "old style" Gym Leaders. I always like figuring out the puzzles before reaching the leaders. Good bye puzzles! ;_;

That Ninetales though...not sure where the Fairy-type is coming from...

I'm disappointed in the replacements for Gyms. Colosseum showed us that formula can be played with and still work out just fine but I've always had fun with the gyms and collecting shiny things.

I do hope there's still an evil team though, probably something to do with despoiling nature. Oil, tourism, there's options.

So Nintendo said that the new game works with the rerelease of Red/Blue/Yellow.... So my question is when we transfer an old Ninetales will it turn into the new ice/fairy form with its pervious fire moves??

So Nintendo said that the new game works with the rerelease of Red/Blue/Yellow.... So my question is when we transfer an old Ninetales will it turn into the new ice/fairy form with its pervious fire moves??

No, it should be a regular old Ninetales. Only the Ninetales caught in this game will be Ice/Fairy.

Why would it just transform? These seem like adaptations native to the Alola Region not interchangeable forms.

I'm disappointed in the replacements for Gyms. Colosseum showed us that formula can be played with and still work out just fine but I've always had fun with the gyms and collecting shiny things.

I do hope there's still an evil team though, probably something to do with despoiling nature. Oil, tourism, there's options.

It may have to do with surfing, since that was the first thing Westerners ****** with when they got to Hawaii.

Back