Alolan Forms, New Pokemon, Island Challenges, and Z-Moves in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

YAY. So 5 moves per pokemon then or does a Z move replace on of the 4 move slots ? i really like the Oricorio baile style; kinda like Hawlucha. I would be very happy if they replaced Gyms. and think this generation will really add to the VGC meta.
AWESOMESAUCE.

So much to talk about. And for some reason I feel like tigger :)

I really dig the designs, but I wish Sandslash didn't have such a terrible type combination. Ninetales looks amazing; an even more beautiful version of its Shiny form. And Exeggutor is gonna be OP, just saying; awesome type, probably awesome stats. The Meteor will be a ton of fun if its stats are decent, and I love its design.

I just want to get something off my chest.

I love this new direction with region based species variants and Z moves. The Alola forms make the Pokemon world that much more realistic because of species adaptation and biology irl. Also, any Pokemon can use Z moves, they are not exclusive to a certain handful of Pokemon like Mega Evolution was.

Tbh, I'm perfectly fine with there not being anymore Megas and it just being a Gen 6 thing. I mean, I like Megas and I'm disappointed that there might never be a Mega Flygon, but adding more would just be too overwhelming. Not that they should get rid of Megas altogether; maybe finding Mega Stones could be a post-game quest.

Last edited:
Z-Move, Z-Crystal, Z-Bracelet. Are they trying to make up for the lack of Pokemon Z? Also, it looks like the Chinese leak is becoming a little bit more trustable.

Also with the new Island Trial Captains, do we know the rest of the Tapu Koko'ish Pokémon typings (Fire, Grass and Water)?

Yeah, that's exactly my thought.

When I first watched it I thought: "Sub-species?" But, hey, "Alola forms" is much better name.

- I really like Oricorio! I laughed a little when the Pom-Pom Form came up. But, wow, cool designs.

- The Alolan forms:
  1. The Alolan Exeggutor weirded me out in the beginning. Guess it'll take a little time to get used to it, but I will, eventually.
  2. The Ice Vulpix/Ninetales were really cool. I think they will be in the top of my new favourites.
  3. The Ice Sandshrew/Sandslah were ok.
- Fomantis/Lurantis are other Pokémon I really like. I would've guessed Grass/Fairy for Lurantis, but mono-type Grass is cool enough.

- Minior took a little time to understand, but now it's a little clearer. Wow, so many new forms...

- Gumshoos was something I expected, since I always felt that Yungoos would get an Evo.

- I always felt, like many others, that Mudsdale would get a pre-evo, and Mudbray is great.

- I like the new type of "Gyms", and this has made me intrigued. Like some sort of mini-quests... That's something we've needed for some time now.

- Z-moves: Wow, this rocks. I really hoped for more more info about it, and this made me a bit flabbergasted!

Interesting. A while back I thought it would be cool to integrate the BREAK idea from the TCG into the video games, and it seems like the Z-move is Pokemon's way of doing something like this by adding an extra-awesome-attack on top of the existing 4 moves. Plus, the stone is gold like the BREAK card art... hmm. And with Pokemon holding Z-crystals instead of Mega Stones... seems the Mega trend might stay in Kalos.

does anyone else get the feeling that we won't be getting any new mega evolutions this generation?

I LOVE Icy Ninetales! I feel like we will not be getting Mega's this go around, and I bet we will not be able to trade/transfer to ORAS. That is why they pushed

im legit crying this is probably the best news bit to come from the sun/moon spoiler age

oricorio is beautiful but you know gen 8's gonna get rid of three of the forms LIKE DEERLING.

Also, Exeggutor's been around it seems ... At least since the Jungle TCG set.

The Pokemon and other things. Contains my opinion.

Pokemon:

Fomantis and Lurantis look like fakemon. They look cool and all, just not real.

Gumshoos is literally Donald Trump, and will fence off Alola from the rest of the world, because he feels like it.

Minior looks cool, but the cores look like hypnotized Lumas.

Mudbray is meh. I knew it would have a pre evolution, but I was hoping it would be a horse not a donkey. But it's kinda cute, so I'll let it slide...

Oricorio's forms look really cool! Especially Baile style, and Sensu style. I like Pa'u style, just not that it's pink, but I don't really like Pom Pom style, as I just think it's a bit dumb.

Lastly, the Alolan forms... They're all SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONES!

Exeggutor now looks like a freakin' Coconut Tree, which I've complained about for forever.

Vulpix and Ninetales... Both are now in my top 10 favorites of all time, and Alolan Vulpix is #1. I've always loved Vulpix (Ninetales not so much) but now they both look so much better than their original forms. I've always thought Ice suited them more, but the Ice/Fairy typing for Ninetales has me confused, but I like it.

Sandshrew and Sandslash. I'm now calling them Snowshrew and Snowslash, because they can't have sand in their names anymore. They're both so much cooler than before, and the steel typing on Snowslash makes sense, it's confusing for Snowshrew. I don't know, but I'm in love with their designs, especially Snowslash.

Features + New Stuff:

-
The Island Challenge. I'm going to enjoy this much more than gyms and I know it. After having played every game within days of coming out since DP, the gym leader thing has gotten a little more boring. Not stale, but you just know the formula. Now it's been flipped on its head, and I can't wait to see what they do with it!

Kahunas. Well Hala I guessed was some important person, more so than just the guy who you get your first Pokemon from. I like this though. A Kahuna battle, plus a Totem battle, plus a task. This is gonna be much harder and different from RBY - ORAS. My only question is, do we battle the Trial Captains? Please say yes.

- Riding Pokemon. That's really cool, and I like how just because you use it once, it's not part of your team forever and that makes me happy. Charizard, Tauros, Sharpedo, Lapras, Mudsdale, and others are riding Pokemon. I'll probably enjoy this feature, as this was probably the full feature of what was demonstrated in XY.

- Z Moves. Okay? As long as there's still mega evolution. Then fine. I loved mega evolution, and if it gets scrapped by Gamefreak I will rage. It's just like bringing in a revolutionary mechanic that most people loved, and then just dumping it. As long as Sun and Moon have BOTH, I will not mind.

Conclusion:
These games will be amazing, and this games development is the reason for XY's shortcomings. With what's been set up, I will not be surprised if Sun and Moon made it to my top 5 Pokemon games.

Last edited:
Alola forms, wow. None of us saw these coming. At first I was worried they were a new kind of mega evolution, but it's clear that these pokemon will appear in these forms all the time in the main game. They won't have separate Pokedex numbers, but maybe different movepools and base stats? Will they introduce a way for them to form change like Rotom? I'm not sure the Sandshrew/Vulpix lines really benefit from Ice, type-wise, but I'm into the flavor! I'm guessing those two might be version exclusives - they were both version exclusives in R/B, though not for each other.

I can't believe of all the goofy rumors, "no gyms" turned out to be correct. I'm open to the change, as long as they keep the same feeling of pacing that the games usually have with 8 gyms, spread across 4 pseudo-gyms. And hopefully the trials are fun and not too fetch-questy. They're clearly pulling some inspiration from Boy Scouts / Girl Scouts and summer camps, with young trainers being the "captains" like your senior camp members, and then the Kahunas running the place.

So Z-moves are confirmed to require held items, kind of like suped-up type gems. I'm glad that doesn't overlap with megas too much, if those are even returning.

I thought Fomantis and Lurantis were continuations of Bounsweet's line, but they might be their own thing? Fomantis' info makes a big deal of it being nocturnal, which makes me hope that the day/night cycle really has an impact again. They could spread out Bounsweet/Fomantis by making them day/night exclusive.

I'm sure there will be lots of talk about the new pokemon downthread, but my early favorites are Lurantis and Minior. I love the detail about Minior forming in the stratosphere and falling to earth; they just keep extending the Pokemon biosphere further! And notice that Minior can be several different colors under its rocks - I wonder if that's a form difference just for fun, or if it affects anything.

I LOVE Icy Ninetales! I feel like we will not be getting Mega's this go around, and I bet we will not be able to trade/transfer to ORAS. That is why they pushed
yeah i was thinking the same thing...the only chance they have left to make it in the game is if we can somehow travel to the kalos region, but i dont see that happening either

Incredible; all aboard the hype train toot toot

I like the Sandslash design, and I like the Ninetales design, but most of all I am pumped for the Steel/Ice combination. If this does point to a buff for Ice... see first statement.

Darwin's finches seem appropriate as well. I'm partial to the ghost one, and I believe that is also a new type combo?

Physical Solarbeam looks cool, will be VGC relevant.

Lack of Megas is second most appealing thing in the trailer, even by absence; while an interesting and fun tactical decision, if abandoned like gems, they won't be played out completely and we will get them again later in the series.

But most of all, on lack of gyms.
...FINALLY.

So something just occurred to me. Do you still evolve Alola Vulpix into Alola Ninetales with a Fire Stone? Because that wouldn't make a lick of sense. Unless there's an Ice Stone now or something.

The dancer description says "another Pokémon on the field." Copies friendly quiver dances as well!!

Can I also just say that Exeggutors new "tail-face" looks absolutely adorable?
udklip_by_steffenka-dacbanj.png
And the English trailer didn't show this, but there's green and purple Minior as well!
udklip_by_steffenka-dacbaum.png

So something just occurred to me. Do you still evolve Alola Vulpix into Alola Ninetales with a Fire Stone? Because that wouldn't make a lick of sense. Unless there's an Ice Stone now or something.
It definitely wouldn't make sense for Alola Vulpix to evolve with a Fire Stone, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that some other stone (or an entirely new evolution method) has to be used instead of a Fire Stone.

And the English trailer didn't show this, but there's green and purple Minior as well!
udklip_by_steffenka-dacbaum.png

It definitely wouldn't make sense for Alola Vulpix to evolve with a Fire Stone, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that some other stone (or an entirely new evolution method) has to be used instead of a Fire Stone.
I haven't seen those trailers yet so thanks for this! But Vulpix's DNA is the same, it's only a regional difference because of where it's lived for all these years. And sure, it's a new type, but I still think it will evolve with a Fire Stone because it's the same Pokemon. Either that, or it'll evolve in a way like Glaceon by the huge ice rock.

Maybe Icepix evolves near an Icy rock, like how Eevee evolves into Glaceon.

Back