A REAL Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I mis - read your thingy...

AEX< I know your post count doesn't affect how great you are, I'm sying if you don't post enough, people won't see your posts often, so if they haven't seen many posts, it will be hard for them to decide if you are intelligent form the few posts they read. If you post loads it is clear to see. It has nothing to with how great you are.

Absol said:
New Idea!

First off, let me resurrect the infractions bar idea. The infractions bar is sort of like the reputation mods/trade councillors have, only that the infractions bar (i-bar :)) applies to everyone. All members that just joined PokéBeach Forums will have zero in their i-bar. Good members would have positive points assigned by mods, while mods can also assign negative points to rule breakers.

Now for the fun part- Members with positive points have access to 'advanced' part of the forums, ie the RMT/Gaming Discussion. Members with zero points have access to the Gaming Discussion, TCG questions and the Clans & Clubs forums. Members with negative points have access to very few forums, perhaps only the Site Discussion. Thus, this would encourage members to accumulate points so that he/she would have access to all forums (except the mod forums/strategists corner).

Another thing to add- While all members have the i-bar, only mods can assign points. Also, the i-bar will be emptied out every fortnight (negative points will be resetted, positive points stay as it is). Mods can assign points and remove points, but adding and removing points cannot be done for fun (I mean, look at the reputation- they're filled with SPAM by bored mods).

That... is actually crazy enough to work. I think the last paragraph you typed is a bit shaky, but other than that it looks like an interesting idea. Of course, this is likely to require too much effort :[

Hold on, the onlyproblem about this is that people with negative points can only post in site discussion? How is that fair. What we should do is instead of what you said, do it like this:

Do spplit the forums up, but use the infractions bar to help. the groups should be like so:

Negative points
0 points
1-10 points
10+ points.

All members can post anywhere, but only with their group, as WPM said. But rather than age, use this to divide it. And set it so that it automatically moves you depending on your infractions, so it doesn't have to be done manually.

Is this better?

Fire_Pokemon_Master said:
Hold on, the onlyproblem about this is that people with negative points can only post in site discussion? How is that fair. What we should do is instead of what you said, do it like this:

Do spplit the forums up, but use the infractions bar to help. the groups should be like so:

Negative points
0 points
1-10 points
10+ points.

All members can post anywhere, but only with their group, as WPM said. But rather than age, use this to divide it. And set it so that it automatically moves you depending on your infractions, so it doesn't have to be done manually.

Is this better?
First of all the forum coding would have to be majorly redone. And to make it automatic? 0.0'
And what happens when someone gets to the 10+ negative group? Are they stuck with it forever and ever, even if they start to behave better and make good posts. There would have to be a way to get the negatives out too. It could be a system where if you have more plus than minus you get more privileges. If you go to the minus it will restrict your posting. But how do you get these pluses and minuses? If the users give them, the system could easily become misused and taken advantage of. Some really idiotic n00bs would give you minuses every time they don't like your answer to something or you just generally get on someones nerves while others see nothing wrong in your post. That sort of system is just yelling to be abused.

And who has time and the will to go through the effort of giving everyone pluses and minuses. I can see it already "If you liked my post please give me a plus" then it would have to be made a rule that it's not allowed to ask for pluses. They they move into signatures... Blaa blaa... And if it's up to the moderator to give pluses and minuses, their work will just be far greater. They can't keep track of every single post.

But I'm not seeing this idea come to pass very quickly since it takes lots of reforming on the forum.

Do I take this too seriously?

After 2 weeks, negatives are set to 0, so you are only in that group tempararaly, like a punishment in a way, instead of warnings before getting banned. Only mods can give or deduct points.
It won't pass quickly, but the work will be worth it.

Negative points
0 points
1-10 points
10+ points.

Is this better?

Actually, initially I thought 3 groups would be fine- Negative points, zero points and positive points. Then, I've realised something- People with zero points would meet other people with zero points. Assuming someone like Hyper Blaze (veteran from pe2k) just joined the forums. He will face other n00bs before he can prove himself to be good. He may probably give up trying to impress the mods (though I think this wouldn't be difficult), and leave PokéBeach Forums for good. Therefore, I feel that it should only be split up into 2 groups- Negative n00bs, and zero to positive regulars/veterans.

Since there is a 'software' that can restrict people based on something, I hope the i-bar would not be an exception. Besides, the i-bar = reputation, only that it is under the HP/EV/Level bars. While having to manually set the bars every fortnight is something mods wouldn't like to do, software can do the job.

I like this idea, I think that it is much better than doing it by age, and whats more, its a fair way of deciding who goes where, that definately works, and people won't get insulted, they know they have done something wrong, so they'll learn from it, being placed in a younger group is just insulting, but if it is a stat that we have invented, and is fair because you will only ever be with people wiht the same stat, it works.

If everything is automated, then this idea pwns WPM's. Otherwise, I admit it is too tiring for the mods to reset the i-bar of n00bs. Since WPM can automate the age group differences, I think he can automate the member reputation too. Keep your fingers crossed and hope WPM comes back with good news.

* Croses fingers *

One change I would make to the idea is that we should say that if you get your I-bar below -30 you shoould get a ban.

* Croses fingers *

One change I would make to the idea is that we should say that if you get your I-bar below -30 you shoould get a ban.

If I were WPM and if I (WPM) stuck with the i-bar idea, different infractions done leads to different points deducted. Perhaps 15 demerits gives you a 1 week ban, 20 gives you permaban. Sig/Avvie violations (Size) leads to 1 demerit point, disturbing/offensive images/videos/words found in avatar/Sig/posts would wield the loser 3 demerits. Flaming/Mini-modding leads to 5 demerits, while double posting gives us 1 demerit point. Acting like a mod (ie saying *Lock*) gives you 8 demerits, flaming someone for fun w/o any valid reason gives you 10 demerits.

Of course, there are ways to redeem yourself. Posting properly would help give a good impression of you to others, so mods you most likely frequently add points to your i-bar. Max positive points is capped at 10, while negatives points are capped at 20.

Hey, Absol, a forum I were on in 2006 had such a similar system. It was called "Warn". Each time one did something wrong, he gained 10 to 30 warn. It capped at 100, where the warned would be banned.

Absol said:
New Idea!

First off, let me resurrect the infractions bar idea. The infractions bar is sort of like the reputation mods/trade councillors have, only that the infractions bar (i-bar :)) applies to everyone. All members that just joined PokéBeach Forums will have zero in their i-bar. Good members would have positive points assigned by mods, while mods can also assign negative points to rule breakers.

Now for the fun part- Members with positive points have access to 'advanced' part of the forums, ie the RMT/Gaming Discussion. Members with zero points have access to the Gaming Discussion, TCG questions and the Clans & Clubs forums. Members with negative points have access to very few forums, perhaps only the Site Discussion. Thus, this would encourage members to accumulate points so that he/she would have access to all forums (except the mod forums/strategists corner).

Another thing to add- While all members have the i-bar, only mods can assign points. Also, the i-bar will be emptied out every fortnight (negative points will be resetted, positive points stay as it is). Mods can assign points and remove points, but adding and removing points cannot be done for fun (I mean, look at the reputation- they're filled with SPAM by bored mods).

This is an innovative idea. The only problem is the clearing of negative points. If someone breaks the rules, why should they get there points cleared? If they prove themself to be a good member after a while, then they should be cleared.

Yes, but as I stated before, we should use your infractions to put you in a group, liek WPM said with ages, but use infractions. Don't not let members post in certain forums, thats not fair.

Magicmew said:
Hey, Absol, a forum I were on in 2006 had such a similar system. It was called "Warn". Each time one did something wrong, he gained 10 to 30 warn. It capped at 100, where the warned would be banned.

The warn system is great! I have that on my little hobby forum. I would love to have that on the official forum I run too. So nice... And only mods and admins are capable of giving warn. It won't even take too much time or effort. But I think that would be difficult to do on this forum. Would need recoding (if this is not one of those where it came with the forum... but I guess it's not).

First of all, most of these ideas would require a super-overload amount of time and effort from the mods. Checking each forum, each thread, each post, and each person would be insane. Even with, like, ten mods, it would still be insane.

All that I really have to say, and I want people to consider this, is that we are fine as we are now. We have an average of...say...thirtyish people online at one time, going down to around seven people online at one time. And, most of those online members are just sitting on the computer on the PokéBeach Forums, not really doing anything, or reading over threads, etc. When we do have a lot of spam going on, our loyal mods are there to clean it up and straighten out the spammers. If we had an average of 60-80+ members on at one time, then maybe this spam/n00b problem would be more of a problem. But we don't, so.....

I think that these "Stars" (mods) are really helping the most. Ever since we got KG, NN, and c-m on board, things have gone much more smoothly. With this last Star, and possibly even another, we'll be fine.

Also, what KG said earlier:

One of the most important aspects of the PokéBeach Forums, is that we are family friendly. We don't bash and put people down, but we help them, and train them to do better. We refrain from using bad words, and posting bad things, and the such, unlike SOME other forums. I'm not saying that the forum split will cause these things, but we don't want a 7-9 year old and such to feel like they are looked down upon, and are not good; they more than likely get enough of that in real life.

Magicmew said:

This is a nice idea. A person wouldn't reach 100 if he didn't want to. If he does, its on purpose. It may be for bragging to his friends like "I got banned on a forum." Then his friends say " cool!" This was the case on the forums I've been in when I was gone.

Then Maybe one of the warnings will be gone if he doesn't spam or disobey the rules for maybe one week or month.

Mewstor said:
FPM, I'm actually 25 :p (Ugh... I feel so old X( )

well...i thought i was the older one here (i´m 24)....that´s a relief.

i´ve been reading almost the entire thread...and to be honest...this won´t take us anywhere...at this rate, the whole thread has became into a tug-o-war between people who likes the idea of encarcelate n00bs into their own forum so they feast on their own n00bness ( regardless of age...as i said in my last post...age has nothing to do with behavior..it helps a lot, but not in this situation)...

either if this is the "easy way" or whateaver....what i think we all should be doing instead of posting over and over the same thing:

"yeah...all hail WMP and his idea"
"no...i don´t like it cuz i´m 12"
"yeah i like it cuz i´m 18"

and all this stuff is to figure out a "real" way to not only stop the n00b problem but prevent further infractions...i mean the only way to solve the problem is to work the core of the problem...and let me tell you, it ain´t gonna be a walk in the park...

first...start by pointing out the "problem" to solve....not only call it "noob problem" or "bad posts" or whatever...pick one and start working on it...if you take the problem into pieces and work on each one of these pieces it´ll be a lot easier to solve instead of just "try" to....

if you want members to post in a correct way...fine, pick that option and work that first...it´s definetly better picking up one and spend enough time solving it...that way you´ll have one less thing to worry about....

but that´s just me.

Kevin Garrett said:
Absol said:
New Idea!

This is an innovative idea. The only problem is the clearing of negative points. If someone breaks the rules, why should they get there points cleared? If they prove themself to be a good member after a while, then they should be cleared.

Okay, no points cleared for rule breakers. They'll have to work their way out of n00bishnes, I guess.

Togeshroob: Although the site is good enough, I think WPM made this thread and hardly post in it was so that more people could come up with new ideas. I guess WPM just wants a perfect forum for veterans.

FPM: Cap at 20, 20 demerits and you're out. Capping at 25 is also possible, but we shouldn't be that lenient.

Absol said:
Togeshroob: Although the site is good enough, I think WPM made this thread and hardly post in it was so that more people could come up with new ideas. I guess WPM just wants a perfect forum for veterans.

Then lets make a forum for the elite/veteran/VIP/demigods of this forum! But leave the others out of it. The elite has truly deserved it. The "mare mortals" will just have to take their example and try to do better in the hopes of reaching that status.
I too think that this forum is good as it is. Enforcing the rules is what this place needs. I won't start repeating myself in this post cause I don't really have anything new to say over all in this matter. Everything is on in my earlier posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back