A REAL Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mewstor said:
Absol said:
Togeshroob: Although the site is good enough, I think WPM made this thread and hardly post in it was so that more people could come up with new ideas. I guess WPM just wants a perfect forum for veterans.

Then lets make a forum for the elite/veteran/VIP/demigods of this forum! But leave the others out of it. The elite has truly deserved it. The "mare mortals" will just have to take their example and try to do better in the hopes of reaching that status.
I too think that this forum is good as it is. Enforcing the rules is what this place needs. I won't start repeating myself in this post cause I don't really have anything new to say over all in this matter. Everything is on in my earlier posts.

Therefore, I think that the i-bar may be the answer to our problems. Whenever a n00b does something wrong, there would be a red mark in his i-bar. Obviously, no one would like that person. As a result, the n00b would improve his spelling/grammar/attitude.

Ghost Pokemon Master said:
Quote said:
Then Maybe one of the warnings will be gone if he doesn't spam or disobey the rules for maybe one week or month.

I'm wondering how warnings will be given out.
One mistake = one warning? That would be hard.

Different offences gives you different numbers of demerits. For example, posting explicit content in you post (be it picture/video/text) would give you 8 demerits. Spamming gives you 1, while overlarge sig/avatar gives you 2.

So:

Explict content(picture/text/video/links)= 8
Spamming, use of wrong grammar/spelling= 1
Overlarge sig/avatar= 2
Other means of disobeying the rules= 5

I doubt anyone will post any explict content because they will know what will happen to them. If spamming is 1 demerit and the cap is 100, it will be long before he learns. I think capping at 100 is too high and long. Maybe 50?

Ghost Pokemon Master said:
So:

Explict content(picture/text/video/links)= 8
Spamming, use of wrong grammar/spelling= 1
Overlarge sig/avatar= 2
Other means of disobeying the rules= 5

I doubt anyone will post any explict content because they will know what will happen to them. If spamming is 1 demerit and the cap is 100, it will be long before he learns. I think capping at 100 is too high and long. Maybe 50?

Argh.. For the billionth time, the cap is at 25. 10 = temp ban, 25 = perma ban.

Togeshroob made a good point. Are the mods going to have to look through each post or thread by every member? There are 100,000+ members here IIRC, are they going to have every of their posts checked through? Let's say we have 100,000 members, even if 90,000 were not active, the balance of 10,000 members is still a lot to look through. And out of that 10,000, let's say they have 5 posts each. Yes, just 5 posts - the mods will still have to look through 50,000 posts.

ArmaldoEX said:
Togeshroob made a good point. Are the mods going to have to look through each post or thread by every member? There are 100,000+ members here IIRC, are they going to have every of their posts checked through? Let's say we have 100,000 members, even if 90,000 were not active, the balance of 10,000 members is still a lot to look through. And out of that 10,000, let's say they have 5 posts each. Yes, just 5 posts - the mods will still have to look through 50,000 posts.

Every mod having to look through every post? With the i-bar, as long as someone commits a mistake and his mistake has been reported, then he would automatically get demerits. There's no need for manual checking.

The PokemonCrater Forums does(sorry for the bad grammar) have this kinda software. I got warned two times there. Cap there is 100%. It's like a three-strike system. Every warn gives you 33% demerits. Three times and it's 100% (well not really but if you round it off it will be).

In fact, I like this system more than ever. So, final answer to Absol's suggestion is AGREE. Hope WPM reads this post. And yes, I've read every single word.

Sorry for the bad grammar. I live in Southeast Asia where we don't talk English as the main language.

Absol said:
ArmaldoEX said:

Every mod having to look through every post? With the i-bar, as long as someone commits a mistake and his mistake has been reported, then he would automatically get demerits. There's no need for manual checking.

Auto-warning is almost impossible xP I think the warn system is integrated onto the Admin CP, most forums I were on had it, I find it much more easier and quicker than this I-Bar thing: you gain Warn (bad), when you get to 100% you'll automatically be perma-banned, I think most things gave 10%, serious things gave 20 or 30%, having more than one account is 100%, of course good members can receive Warn Protection (good), if they're given a warn, they lose the "Warn Protection" but gain no warn, all mods would have Warn Protection I think, but WPM can remove them in cases like HS's.

I think we've come up with a great alternative to WPMS one, its just that it will take tonnes of programming and hard work, I'm not sure we can do it.

good idea, good idea

so all new bees are put in the young group or just little people that are noobs

because you can be 50 and still have no idea what your doing

Magicmew said:
Absol said:
ArmaldoEX said:

Auto-warning is almost impossible xP I think the warn system is integrated onto the Admin CP, most forums I were on had it, I find it much more easier and quicker than this I-Bar thing: you gain Warn (bad), when you get to 100% you'll automatically be perma-banned, I think most things gave 10%, serious things gave 20 or 30%, having more than one account is 100%, of course good members can receive Warn Protection (good), if they're given a warn, they lose the "Warn Protection" but gain no warn, all mods would have Warn Protection I think, but WPM can remove them in cases like HS's.

Okay, maybe not auto-warning. Perhaps after you've done something wrong, a mod would go to the rule-breaker's i-bar and click on + or -. It's just like reputation, I've seen SN 'reputate' someone and it is relatively easy (Just a few clicks, and ka-chow!).

I think the forum is fine as it is
The older members, such as myself, simply make our posts more PG-13 for the kids in the forum
If older kids want a more mature forum, why can't we make one?

Seriously, leave the 'Beach as is.

No, you keep your posts as intelligent as you can post.

I still think WPM's idea is cool and I think we shall try. I don't really care if n00bs will feel discriminated. Let them feel this way, in that case they're either going to do their best to become a better member, or go spam Serebii. Both options are ok.

:F

Meh. I haven't paid enough attention to summarize all the ideas, with modifications, but I know there's been some good ones.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Anyone want to give me a summary of the new ideas?

Don't be lazy :p

Summarised, many people said that your idea sucks (discrimination, less discussion, blah) while a few odd members voted for a yes. I came up with a new ide, the i-bar thingy, which is kinda like reputation. The only idifference is that only mods/super mods/admin can add/remove points from a user, the i-bar is available to every one. The i-bar is a way to see if the member has broken any rules and is/is not a good member. Obviously, rule-breakers (those with negatve points) will be separated from those who make good points (positives). It's kinda good, only that is allowing/disallowing a rule-breaker from entering the veterans' forums it not automatic, it can be quite inconvenient.

Also, the I-bar system is good for keeping tabs on bad (n00by) members. That way, bans can be issued more accurately.

Is there any way that the I-bar can find any mistakes, rule-breaking, spam, etc, then send it to the Mod CP for the Mods to decide whether a warning should be given, or a negative and how much? This way, some new members won't be thinking like "ZOMG!EYEGOTAWORNINGNIDUNUWATIDEED!!!".

Doc and I talked about a "reputation" system (which I guess would be your I-Bar idea) a while ago, and we thought people would abuse it. The forums used to have a reputation system, and all anyone ever did was misuse it or abuse it. Even if just mods used it, it is hard to rank everyone, and people won't even know why they are being ranked the way they are or what they need to do to improve (and PMing people for every little thing is a pain in the neck). If forums were age-separated, people would come to learn how they need to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back