(1) Xerneas-EX, Yveltal-EX, Venusaur-EX, and Blastoise-EX from XY Collections Revealed! [10/10]

I'm waiting to see Charizard EX and its mega. I've been waiting for a viable fire attacker and I hope this will be it.
>Viable Fire attacker
>Keldeo EX in format

Pick one.

Meanwhile at the Pokemon Company:

New Guy: Alright gentlemen. I was just thinking about the RSE block, and how fun I remember it being. Then I thought about how much fun I had with Lv. X's. Then... It hit me - Mega Cards can be Lv. X V2! But instead it changes the whole Pokemon instead of just being a topper. What do you say? Wouldn't that be fun, guys?

Head Honcho: ...MORE EX'S? OKAY THEN!

Oh yeah and the art for Xerneas is awesome and I'll probably buy one for collection purposes even though it's ironic to spew so much anger then buy it anyways okay

Artemis said:
I guess the best thing about EXes sticking around is that FAs will hopefully be sticking around too?

Then again, if legends and pre-mega EXes will be keeping the EX-rarity spot in XY, it makes me wonder how rare the Megas themselves will be. Maybe Megas will take the place of FAs (*sob*), or maybe they'll be even rarer and will take the place of shinies, though that seems unlikely.

What if... the Megas are FA?!
Also the EX's aren't particularly exciting. The art of Xerneas and Yveltal aren't bad though, and I like how they're somewhat more balanced than things like Mewtwo.

DNA said:
I'm waiting to see Charizard EX and its mega. I've been waiting for a viable fire attacker and I hope this will be it.
>Viable Fire attacker
>Keldeo EX in format

Pick one.

Fun fact!
Mega Charizard will NOT be on XY Base. There are only 2 Megas in the set, Venusaur & Blastoise.

DNA said:
>Viable Fire attacker
>Keldeo EX in format

Pick one.
Don't forget about Virizion and Genesect being in the format :p. Most Blastoise decks only run 2 Keldeo now due to that. However the diagram looks more like this:

Viable Fire Attacker --> Genesect EX / Virizion EX --> Keldeo EX --> Viable Fire Attacker

That would effectively create a rock paper scissors format if there were no other competitive decks in the format.

Artemis said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Mega Evolution cards in the next Coro Coro. Now that the Pokémon XY games have officially been released, they don't have anything on that end to leak.

Cheers Artemis...Eyes peeled lol

Pokemon.com has announced that the XY TCG set will include 2 Mega Evolution Pokemon (Blastoise and Venusaur), 6 Pokemon-EX, and over 140 cards.
And even if it wasn't stated there it was Blastoise and Venusaur, we know from the Japanese announcement of the same set that Blastoise and Venusaur receive Mega-Evolution cards.

So that's how we know.

Oh okay, well I guess they will keep Charizard, good marketing skills. Means everyone will have to wait, no point putting them all in one set.

Guys. Just because EX's are still big doesn't mean it's the end of the world... We've seen counters to them before, and I don't see why they're so bad, I enjoy a fast paced match, makes you think more. And Plasma Kyerum in my opinion, is just as bad as any EX, if not worse because it only gives you one prize. I think some people just like to complain..

It's more so the principle of the thing than whether or not they are overpowered. I agree with you; Plasma Kyurem is still a very major threat, and it has given me more trouble than most cards (along with Absol), simply because it has 130 HP and only gives up 1 Prize.

But EXs sticking around, and Mega-Evolution EX cards being even stronger than them (supposedly) might be a sign of things to come. Most likely, the initial Mega-Evolutions will be over the top and slowly wane away (like when EXs came around, Mewtwo and Darkrai were the most overbearing of all - and have remained as such to this day).

If there are more options for other non-EX Pokemon out there, and we get things like Garchomp DRX or Empoleon DEX (two of the best Stage 2s printed recently, and no mistake), then things might take a turn for the interesting, and with Catcher being weakened somewhat, it could make some changes to the format.

It's just that I, as a judge and player only on the side, am not willing to stick around to take a risk; on top of which, the game is becoming increasingly less fun for me. I can't really enjoy it anymore, especially given how these changes might make it more luck-based...especially given how you will choose who goes first before looking at the opening hand.

And I know it's possible that there might be more stuff for evolutions...but I do not work with 'maybes'. This is why I, personally, am not willing to continue with the game. All of the above is my personal opinion and you are free to take it as you wish. I do not mean any offense or hatred when I make these comments; I am simply stating how I personally see the card game.

They are just bringing out more and more strength, perhaps they should stick to a few per set, and make them less overpowered. Yu-gi-oh bans or limits cards that are broken, perhaps these should as well.

I can imagine so yes, there would be no reason as to why there shouldn't be. I would imagine it would come in the 2nd, or maybe a later set.

RegiReal said:
Guys. Just because EX's are still big doesn't mean it's the end of the world...

Indeed; there are much more serious problems in the world.

RegiReal said:
We've seen counters to them before, and I don't see why they're so bad, I enjoy a fast paced match, makes you think more. And Plasma Kyerum in my opinion, is just as bad as any EX, if not worse because it only gives you one prize. I think some people just like to complain..

Some people do like to complain; usually they are the ones that make a comment complaining about other people complaining. ;-)

That being said, do you realize that some of us aren't just complaining about "Pokémon-EX"? For many, we are concerned that things that did not work in the past are being tried again and in the same manner (as opposed to doing the same thing under different circumstances).

I like the Pokémon-EX mechanic, but when it is restricted to powerful Basic Pokémon that are otherwise difficult to adequately present (and balance out) in the Pokémon TCG. Using it to eliminate the iconic "Evolution" mechanic from Pokémon seems counterproductive. The fact that many big, Basic Pokémon (not just the most commonly played Pokémon-EX) are designed in a manner that creates what I believe to be an "imbalance" in game is the issue.

You enjoy fast paced matches, and so do I... but we define what that means differently. Instantly having access to everything isn't how Pokémon was designed, and forcing the game to go that direction instead of scrapping the current game and restarted is at best foolhardy and at worst foolhardy and deceptive towards the customer base. A game that takes 10-20 minutes to play isn't "slow". A game that is all but done in five minutes isn't just fast, its stupidly fast. Based on my observations, the latter is where Pokémon has been headed.

I didn't arrive at my theories on this game overnight, and I had to reject some of my own preferences when I realized they didn't make for a healthy game. You can the faster game, but different people have different tastes, and from a commercial stand point the logical decision is to cater to the most tastes one can in order to maximize enjoyment of the product (and presumably profits). Other factors do weigh in (such as the difficulty in pleasing said larger audience). It seems unlikely a fast paced match will make you think "more". I agree that there is such a thing as a game being too slow (and that can contribute to thoughtless game play) but clearly a game can be too fast; after all a game where your opponent wins first turn is technically as fast as one can win in Pokémon.

I've been playing this game for almost 15 years now, so while I am not a pro I've still got experience. The best formats weren't the oldest or the newest. While they still most definitely had flaws, the best were the formats where players had a turn or two that were best used on set-up instead of early aggression. It gives a purpose to "set-up" Pokémon that are less and less useful as the game progresses and it gives the Evolution mechanic time to play out properly.

TL;DR: Thought about it a while; continuing to design cards with the same failings as the past generation does not bode well for a game that has been in decline for years (not necessarily in sales figures). Pokémon is dangerously close to hitting Yu-Gi-Oh territory, where power-play addicted "pros" feed off younger players brought in by the animation tie-in and dedicated fans that won't leave in spite of the abuse.

Back