(1) Supposed 'X' and 'Y' Insider Information [5/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cody Gordon said:
Pancham said:
Hey, I've been lurking these forums for so long but created an account just so I can say this.

First thing, who is TCPi? I don't want to be rude but what should they expect? They should know who to trust.

Now, why are people saying WPM should not give us the info? Like in the past and on other sites like Serebii, spoiler tags can be used in the future if people do not want to read them. Remember the leaks for Black & White? Why should X & Y be any different?

It would be very disrespectful in PokeBeach if the leaks are not given as it was clearly promised that if the english names were real (or even any rumours were) then more info shall be posted. Why bring up the leaks in the first place just to only to hide that information to yourself? I and many others want to know.

JS! ;)

TPCi stands for The Pokémon Company International

I'm not sure it would be disrespectful if they didn't give it out, it is their information to do what they want with. However, my personal opinion is that they have a duty to the pokemon fans that visit this site to release all the information.

A supposed "duty" has a lot less weight than what a multi-billion dollar company wants. TCPi keeps stuff secret for a reason - it builds hype and speculation, which boosts sales. I really, really doubt they would just shrug off a large information leak this early before release.

Cody Gordon said:
Teal said:
Think if you are making a game, and trust someone and show the beta game to them, and then they tell a "news site" about it. Should the news site really reveal the info, just because they can?

They have a duty to. This site is just like CNN or FOXNEWS or ABC, they gets news or rumors or leaks and report on it. Game Publishers know there are risks involved with beta's, it is expected in the industry. Once posted Nintendo or TPCi can request that it be taken down.
No, that is not their duty. It would probably even be illegal.

frezgle said:
Cody Gordon said:

I'm not sure it would be disrespectful if they didn't give it out, it is their information to do what they want with. However, my personal opinion is that they have a duty to the pokemon fans that visit this site to release all the information.

A supposed "duty" has a lot less weight than what a multi-billion dollar company wants. TCPi keeps stuff secret for a reason - it builds hype and speculation, which boosts sales. I really, really doubt they would just shrug off a large information leak this early before release.

We don't even know how much information they have. Additionally Pokémon X and Y is shaping up to be the BIGGEST pokemon game in a long time. It's not going to hurt sales, if anything it will increase hype and drive even more sales. How is the release of a few details going to hurt sales?

Post from other thread:
WPM should make a game out of it. We can keep a tally somewhere and everything. It'll be fun! Whenever something that was leaked is confirmed, we get a few bonus items. Then we wait to tally those off when they're confirmed. WPM is in a very fortunate position of keeping the news flow strong. Assuming his source gave him plenty of juicy tidbits, this could be a really sustainable way to keep people hyped. Either way, I think we should celebrate the confirmation of the source with a few new ones. I'd even go so far as to say WPM should select the leaks to post based on his best guess of which ones will be confirmed first. Ooo! And WPM could hide them places. Links in periods, on card scans, hidden pages on the site, etc. Then, when someone finds one, they post it to a topic and it gets put on the front page with credits. Like an easter egg hunt. All we'd need to know is how many are hidden.

Teal said:
Cody Gordon said:
They have a duty to. This site is just like CNN or FOXNEWS or ABC, they gets news or rumors or leaks and report on it. Game Publishers know there are risks involved with beta's, it is expected in the industry. Once posted Nintendo or TPCi can request that it be taken down.
No, that is not their duty. It would probably even be illegal.

Unless Pokebeach signed an NDA (non disclosure agreement) there is no legal issue. Now if they are asked after, to take down the information, and don't, then yeah, it's illegal.

What purpose does Pokebeach serve if not to deliver news. It is a Pokémon News site, it delivers Pokémon news. Anything related to Pokémon X and Y is considered news, very hot news at that.

frezgle said:
Cody Gordon said:

Precisely.

There's no doubt that a lot of us Pokémon fans would love to know as much about Pokémon X and Pokémon Y as possible, even if it spoils us to death.

However, doesn't anyone remember a few summers back? Water Pokémon Master had quite a bit of badgering from some very unhappy people when he posted the Pokémon sprites from Black and White before it was released.

A multi-billion dollar corporation is no joke. Their lawyers are numerous and are more-than ready to litigate any webmasters responsible for allowing a deliberate leak of information on their website.

Again, I'd love to see any new information about Pokémon X and Pokémon Y that I can get my hands on, but I don't want to risk my favorite Pokémon fansite for some game spoilers.

Premise:
Pokebeach posts information. Either TPCi asks us to remove it, or they don't.
If:
TPCi asks Pokebeach to remove information,
then Pokebeach removes information.
Conclusion: Life goes on.
If:
TPCi doesn't respond,
Pokebeach does not remove the information.

Pokebeach was not given any information under a NDC, so there is nothing legally binding preventing the release of the information. In fact, releasing the information would simply be good journalism. Another sign of good journalism is knowing when to back off. If TPCi cares, we'll know. They don't seem to care yet. It's not like you could really spoil a pokemon game through a series of bullet points. Unofficial information is just as essential to marketing as official information. Some developers even depend on third parties to hype their games and keep communities frequenting the fan sites.

I've been sent a lot of information but I don't think I want to make a ginormous post spoiling everything. If anything, I'll release it gradually. Or maybe not even at all. I'm not sure yet. It really depends on whether or not I think TPCi cares. For the card game, they obviously cared, but I think it's different when it comes to the games.

halfrican said:
Premise:
If:
If:
TPCi doesn't respond,

Pokebeach was not given any information under a NDC, so there is nothing legally binding preventing the release of the information. In fact, releasing the information would simply be good journalism. Another sign of good journalism is knowing when to back off. If TPCi cares, we'll know. They don't seem to care yet. It's not like you could really spoil a pokemon game through a series of bullet points. Unofficial information is just as essential to marketing as official information. Some developers even depend on third parties to hype their games and keep communities frequenting the fan sites.

If the lack of a NDC between Water Pokémon Master and The Pokémon Company/Game Freak is really a deciding factor in whether or not Pokebeach should host an influx of leaked information, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to have it all leaked -- though probably not all of it at once.

Though, there's still that part of me that fears for Pokébeach's well-being, should the games' creators decide to go after it.

It's hardly ever bad to be cautious.

TPCi can't go after us for posting game details. That's like saying Apple can go after Engadget for leaking iProduct details.

i see that there is a lot of discussion if pokebeach should or not show the information they have. for me, i personaly think that they shoul since they are a site that brings to us all the information about the pokemon world. about those that say that dont want to get spoiled, corocoro, smash and other things does it, and if you dont want to get spoiled simply dont read it

AtmosphericThunder said:
halfrican said:
Premise:
If:
If:
TPCi doesn't respond,

If the lack of a NDC between Water Pokémon Master and The Pokémon Company/Game Freak is really a deciding factor in whether or not Pokebeach should host an influx of leaked information, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to have it all leaked -- though probably not all of it at once.

Though, there's still that part of me that fears for Pokébeach's well-being, should the games' creators decide to go after it.

It's hardly ever bad to be cautious.
I agree wholeheartedly about being cautious. That's why I think my game idea is a good alternative to just posting it all. WPM could do it all slowly, TPCi would have plenty of time to react before much gets spoiled, and we can always stop the game if we have to. On top of all of that, it would give the community something to do. I think it would be VERY good for hype if we were all scrambling to find the clues WPM has hidden for us. He could even tip-toe around posting actual spoilers, and instead post clues about spoilers, then we speculate. I'd be more than willing to draft up a pitch for this thing.

Water Pokémon Master said:
I've been sent a lot of information but I don't think I want to make a ginormous post spoiling everything. If anything, I'll release it gradually. Or maybe not even at all. I'm not sure yet. It really depends on whether or not I think TPCi cares. For the card game, they obviously cared, but I think it's different when it comes to the games.

Please do not release the info! I think it would do us all a favor! Many want to be surprised and those that keep badgering you for the information are being ungrateful that you even gave any info in the first place. Its not their place to decide, its yours, but I sincerely hope you dont reveal anything more. UNLESS it is something that will be officially revealed before the games come out. I think anything else is just spoiling the surprise. Just my two cents.

NOW CAN PEOPLE STOP ASKING FOR HIM TO RELEASE MORE INFORMATION AND STOP EXPLAINING WHY YOU ARE "ENTITLED" TO KNOW.

TPCi can't go after us for posting game details. That's like saying Apple can go after Engadget for leaking iProduct details.

yeah, exactly. please, show us the info you have. that will increase the numbers of visitors to the site and thats good ;p

That's comforting to hear.

I think that if you decide to leak the information, the leaks should be in little tidbits that are about maybe one to three related aspects of the games. Maybe one spoiler every one or two weeks. That seems like a better, more organized way to spoil things if you actually went through with it.

water pokemon master, i have a solution, you could send the info to the mail of the ones who want to know lol

water pokemon master, do you also have some images of new pokemons?

felichar said:
i see that there is a lot of discussion if pokebeach should or not show the information they have. for me, i personaly think that they shoul since they are a site that brings to us all the information about the pokemon world. about those that say that dont want to get spoiled, corocoro, smash and other things does it, and if you dont want to get spoiled simply dont read it

I find it baffling that people honestly think it's as easy as this. Believe me, I would love to be able to just not read it, but it's going to explode across every site I regularly go on.
And I don't consider official pre-release info to be spoilers; since it's in very small amounts and almost never contains any deep information about the plot/secrets/etc.
Now, it's possible that the information WPM has is just light stuff. Nothing actually spoilery. But it's impossible to know unless he releases it (at which point it's already done of course). I'm just erring on the safe side here.

evilpacman said:

Please do not release the info! I think it would do us all a favor! Many want to be surprised and those that keep badgering you for the information are being ungrateful that you even gave any info in the first place. Its not their place to decide, its yours, but I sincerely hope you dont reveal anything more. UNLESS it is something that will be officially revealed before the games come out. I think anything else is just spoiling the surprise. Just my two cents.

NOW CAN PEOPLE STOP ASKING FOR HIM TO RELEASE MORE INFORMATION AND STOP EXPLAINING WHY YOU ARE "ENTITLED" TO KNOW.
Um, we're discussing the ethics of posting it. This is a forum, meant for discussion. At least I think it is. It's kind of a weak strawman to just whittle it all away to people feeling entitled. I haven't, nor has anyone else, demanded WPM do anything. I would never tell you to stop expressing your opinion that it not be posted, so you should respect my opinion that it should.

felichar said:

Its true that people can choose not to look but that is not as easy as you think. Some people (such as myself) like to read discussion of the new games. You cannot maintain that you dont want to read any spoilers and continue to discuss the new game at the same time. Thus, spoilers inhibit people who dont want to be spoiled from even partaking in XY conversation.

I also use this website for trading and such and so I can avoid any XY talk. However, information spreads and no matter how much I want to avoid it but still use this website for other reasons, I will find out. Its like someone casually blurting out who killed Dumbledore even though you were avoiding that spoiler for as long as you could before the movie came out.

Point is, releasing spoilers is not fair to people who dont want to be spoiled. Not releasing spoilers is fair to everyone because the spoilers werent meant to be known at the time so no one is at a loss.

frezgle said:
felichar said:

I find it baffling that people honestly think it's as easy as this. Believe me, I would love to be able to just not read it, but it's going to explode across every site I regularly go on.
And I don't consider official pre-release info to be spoilers; since it's in very small amounts and almost never contains any deep information about the plot/secrets/etc.
Now, it's possible that the information WPM has is just light stuff. Nothing actually spoilery. But it's impossible to know unless he releases it (at which point it's already done of course). I'm just erring on the safe side here.

i want it to release info about new pokes and some caracters like the rival gym e4 and evil team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back