(1) Rules Changes Coming with X/Y TCG [9/27]

I don't know why anyone would use Catcher/Pokemon Reversal in Unlimited. You have 4 Gust of Wind, 4 copies of things like Double Gust, 4 Itemfinder...

Blui said:
scattered mind said:
If they want to bring Mega evolution to the TCG and to make them powerful without damaging the already existing EX cards, I think they did the best by changing catcher
without and with the new first turn rule ,none basic Pokemon are going to have an easier set-up. IMO

Let's change the one thing that's used by all and is healthy for the game instead of those broken attackers? What?

I just think they wont change EX to be weaker just so they can make the Mega Pokemon to take over their place. instead they are doing that in a less directly form by changing a card that made set up stage 2 Pokemon to such a hard thing.

Of course that is just a thought ,they can troll me and make the Mega pokemon basic but anyway ..

WOW....this is...wow...I honestly don't know how to feel about the no attacks first turn...but the catcher ruling was a bad idea, kept things a bit in balance. I'll have to think on these new rules for a while to see if I like it or not, but only time will tell I suppose.

1. The "Not Attacking First" will hurt my Zoroark deck just as much as the format change did
2. Good, Catcher is Annoying
3. Kind of Pointless as I prefer Juniper over Sycamore :)

If these rule changes are for the short term, just a "patch" until we can rotate out all of the bad decisions that happened in the last five years... okay. I still don't like it, but it is what it is. I doubt that is the actual plan.

1) Pokémon Catcher has never been a problem, save for its scarcity. Before it, we had Pokemon Reversal and it made getting lucky with coin flips a major part of the game. Going back to what didn't work seems very questionable. Those blaming Pokémon Catcher for the aggressive format should look at the abundance of Energy acceleration, including that which is available first turn, the raw power and speed of the dominant big, Basic Pokémon, and the rather pathetic filler that most cards in the card pool become next to the aforementioned Pokémon.

2) Attacking first isn't a problem... Pokémon design is. Attacks that help set-up make the game a lot more fun, but if you still have overly fast, overpowered attackers then the problem remains, it just shifts to T2 and is tweaked. Being donked is less of an issue, but now set-up attacks are even more worthless and Tropical Beach or Hypnotoxic Laser/Virbank City Gym even more valuable to use first turn.

3) Instead of just giving us two cards with the same effect but different names and creating issues where players have to remember they can't use the two together... balance the game. Here's a thought; give us a mill Supporter that is strong enough to balance out Professor Juniper usage; running too many Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore would then be how you lose, instead of possibly overpowered. Releasing better Supporters to keep Professor Juniper from being a staple would also help.

As only a casual player (at best), I'm somewhat apathetic about the rule changes. What I find most interesting is that some people like the first turn rule (but hate the new Catcher rule), while other hate the first turn rule (but love the Catcher rule). I suppose that means that it was, in actuality, decently thought out...at least fan reaction isn't astoundingly negative in one direction.

I'm assuming that even though Sycamore is in the XY Beginning Set, it means that the cards are keeping the BW design. Not entirely unexpected, as I always viewed Gen V --> Gen VI as being very similar to Gen I --> Gen II (which kept a very similar card design between generations). Disappointing, as BW were by far my least favorite. I'm wondering if there will be small changes on the Pokémon card design, as the Trainer card design was identical between Classic and Neo, but there were small differences in Pokémon card blanks.

YESSSSSSSS. No attack for the person who goes first. That is EXACTLY what I wanted and it balances the first turn so much. Who goes first has had a too big effect on the outcome of the game in the current format, and this also makes donks impossible. (Like I lost a game in the Finnish Nationals before my first turn... what a great game! SO FUN!) I have no idea how people can complain about this?! This is the best rule change in a long, long time.

How can you say "now I don't want to go first"? Are you not saying right now "now I really really really really don't want to go second"?

Juniper/Sycamore makes no sense.

Judging the Catcher rule also is stupid before you see the first, first two X&Y sets.

What I found “positive” on Catcher, is the perfect strategy of the cost.
It was first rare and all wanted have full 4 of them, then they bought them for a lot of money.
Then shortly ago, here came a reprint in the actual newest set and it was present in PCD, which took down its prize.
And now, from Novemeber on, it will require a coin flip, which took down its prize even more.
So I'll wait 'til November and then I'll buy lots and lots of catchers “gratis”. ;-)

Except that they really aren't worth anything anymore. lol

This really does give Virizion/Genesect a great boost though. :c

Teal: For modified format sure. But there's more then that. I'm not in even league or so. I just don't want to waste my money for something, what decrease in cost by time and what I can get much cheaper. ;-)
But back to the topic…

The player who goes first cannot use an attack on their first turn.
Good. Finally a trade-off.

Pokemon Catcher will now require a coin flip.
Awful. This is like returning to HS-BW meta. And we all know how horrible that was.

Since the new Professor Sycamore card has the exact same effect as Professor Juniper, you can't play both cards in the same deck.
Neutral. Makes sense. Nothing major.

But it's still not enough to get me to not quit.

I absolutely hate the Catcher errata. Pokémon already has a reputation for being stupidly luck based, and this doesn't help at all. If Blastoise didn't exist, I wouldn't be so angry about it, but now Blastoise is going to be so broken :(

venasour x said:
I absolutely hate the Catcher errata. Pokémon already has a reputation for being stupidly luck based, and this doesn't help at all. If Blastoise didn't exist, I wouldn't be so angry about it, but now Blastoise is going to be so broken :(

Garbo too. Since I play it I don't mind so much, but I can see how it can make some decks really hard to play against now.

I'm not really sure how I feel about these rules. I think XY era cards are going to be slower and we probably wont get EXs. Not attacking on the first turn and needing to flip for catcher slows the game down.

With this in mind the new rules make sense. Setting up stage 2s/mega evolutions will be easier (or at least less risky) and there will be a better balance with the current Exs.

The Juniper/Sycamore rule seems senseless. It should have just had a different effect (like PONT or discard draw 6). Thinking about the eventual rotation to XY-on I kind of get Sycamore being a Juniper copy.

I understand everyone's frustration, but we have to remember that we wont have to deal with these changes until February and by then maybe they wont matter as much.

I think the "not allowed to attack first turn" is a good thing. Going first already brings so many advantages: you have card advantage, energy advantage, response advantage (you get to react on the starting board first), etcetera. Not allowing items the first turn is not enough to offset that major advantage. Preventing attacks is the only right thing.

And also, even those who would've prefered something else, would still have to agree this is an improvement: it's a fact it decreases the gap between going first and going second, as in the current situation, it's the player who already has the disadvantage who gets to attack last. In the new situation, it's the player who has the advantage who gets to attack last. That's the only thing that changed: giving the player with an advantage a disadvantage, rather than giving the player who already has the disadvantage another disadvantage.

First turn rule is good, great, amazing, remarkable

I couldn't actually use catchers until Plasma Blast and they prevented fun experimental decks from happening so welcome to my world, cry some moar. its still a coin flip, catcher are cheap as hell now, and you don't know any of the XY set cards except Sycamore and Sylveon and the 3 starter cards. The Meta will change whether you like it or not.

Sycamore Juniper are no bid deal at all, the point of the 4 card rule is that you can't stock up on the same good effect, if they have the same effect they cant just let you have 8, all this does it let you pick whether you like juniper or sycamore, yay for art variety!

Generally speaking, I dislike the whole "errata" concept.

However, I see nothing but benefits toward a healthy metagame with these changes. Kudos.

If you think Catcher being flip-based is healthy, I have a bridge to sell you.

DNA said:
If you think Catcher being flip-based is healthy, I have a bridge to sell you.

Just to counter point; Do you think it's healthy that every deck essentially HAS to run catcher?

Back