(1) First XY TCG Products Unveiled: 'XY Beginning Sets' [7/16]

Luispipe8 said:
signofzeta said:
Well from the looks of it, looks like we won't be getting XY1 close to release of the video games. Although, we can get the trainer kit close to release, if you know what I mean.

Ok, here's how I think it should go. November will be our EX battle boost analog, with some filler cards, and possibly some more reprints. We are NEVER releasing any set before Japan, and we have never done so in the past. There were times when we switched order of releases to tie in with the movie, but in those situations, Japan already has the set released. For example, we want to tie in the Deoxys movie with EX Deoxys, so we release Team Rocket Returns first, but at the time of the release, Team Rocket strikes back was already released in Japan. Now in this situation, to pull off the switcheroo, we'd have to delay until after December, because that is when Japan will probably release the XY main set, rather than starter decks, or beginning sets. Then we'd have to release the Black and White reprint and filler cards after our first XY set, which is kind of dumb seeing how the second set goes back to the BW era. We, of course might get some filler cards, and they might split the set in half, but I highly doubt it.

Chances are, TPCi loves releasing the base set of each generation close to the release of the games, but if there is no set released in Japan, then they can't do anything about it, and just release it in January or February.

Well, they could easily split them in half... Japan's Black Collection & White Collection were split up to BLW Base Set and BLW Emerging Powers.

Not really, still doesn't change the fact that we can't release anything until Japan release theirs.

Our BW1 set wasn't Japan's Black collection, and our EPO set wasn't Japan's white collection. It wasn't split like that. Our BW set was the majority of the Black collection and White collection, and our EPO was the remainder of the Black collection and White collection, as well as some precon cards that were designed for newbies, which was why EPO sucked.

By the time we were able to tie in with Black and White's VG release, Japan already has a ton of BW cards released. Now it is different. They have 0 XY cards released aside from the beginning starter kits, meaning we won't get our XY until after December, meaning that we are going to get some sort of BW filler set for our November set.

If the BW pattern of release can be said about the XY pattern of release, Japan would get their XY2 set in July, meaning that if we release XY1 in December, then what are we going to do about our February and May releases? There is no way that we can split one Japanese set, and it's promos and precon cards into 3 separate sets. It is just impossible. Safest bet is we get XY1 in February. It's how I think it is going to be. I thought they released the EX Battle boost in order for us to release XY1 in November, but knowing that Japan will most likely release XY1 in December, it is impossible for us to get XY1 in time for the VG. The VG basically has all the languages coded in the game, meaning that you just select your language and play. The TCG on the other hand, can never have multiple languages printed on a single card, meaning that the Japanese will get their cards first before we do, even if it would be a day or two earlier.

This all hangs on to what TPCi decides to do with their November release. It would take a miracle to release XY1 in November, because frankly, it is impossible.

signofzeta said:
Luispipe8 said:
Well, they could easily split them in half... Japan's Black Collection & White Collection were split up to BLW Base Set and BLW Emerging Powers.

Not really, still doesn't change the fact that we can't release anything until Japan release theirs.

Our BW1 set wasn't Japan's Black collection, and our EPO set wasn't Japan's white collection. It wasn't split like that. Our BW set was the majority of the Black collection and White collection, and our EPO was the remainder of the Black collection and White collection, as well as some precon cards that were designed for newbies, which was why EPO sucked.

By the time we were able to tie in with Black and White's VG release, Japan already has a ton of BW cards released. Now it is different. They have 0 XY cards released aside from the beginning starter kits, meaning we won't get our XY until after December, meaning that we are going to get some sort of BW filler set for our November set.

If the BW pattern of release can be said about the XY pattern of release, Japan would get their XY2 set in July, meaning that if we release XY1 in December, then what are we going to do about our February and May releases? There is no way that we can split one Japanese set, and it's promos and precon cards into 3 separate sets. It is just impossible. Safest bet is we get XY1 in February. It's how I think it is going to be. I thought they released the EX Battle boost in order for us to release XY1 in November, but knowing that Japan will most likely release XY1 in December, it is impossible for us to get XY1 in time for the VG. The VG basically has all the languages coded in the game, meaning that you just select your language and play. The TCG on the other hand, can never have multiple languages printed on a single card, meaning that the Japanese will get their cards first before we do, even if it would be a day or two earlier.

This all hangs on to what TPCi decides to do with their November release. It would take a miracle to release XY1 in November, because frankly, it is impossible.

I never said it was (splet?, darn, you, crappy English teachers!) that way. It was simply separated in 2 ways along the Beginning Set.

Luispipe8 said:
signofzeta said:

I never said it was (splet?, darn, you, crappy English teachers!) that way. It was simply separated in 2 ways along the Beginning Set.

For our first XY set, it isn't a simple split in half anymore, because by the time X and Y VG comes out, Japan hasn't released their set yet. There are times when we got the TCG set first, and there are times when we got it after. It isn't to say that we must have the set a month right after the release of X and Y. Look at ex Ruby and Sapphire, released 3 months after the video games were released. If it is impossible to release the TCG set close to the VG release, it is better to release it 3 or 4 months later, than to rush out a crappy product filled with cards created from people who have no experience at making Pokemon cards, because the only people who do know how to make pokemon cards is the Japanese people who created the game, and all TPCi does is import it to other countries.

As I said before, Japan will probably release XY2 in July, and if that happens, we will have to split one Japanese set and whatever they released so far, into our December, February, and May sets, and that isn't likely to happen. The best bet is to release EX Battle boost in November, and just start the new year fresh and release XY1 in February. It is so much easier to handle.

It is logical to release the XY1 set along with the VG, but it is illogical when there are no cards to release.

Would you have an awesome set followed by half a year of disappointing sets, or would you want a good set sandwiched by 2 disappointing sets?

The way I suggest they release the XY sets is to release the XY trainer kit, you know, the 2 player kit that TPCi releases every generation, in November, because by that time, Japan would already have the beginning sets, and the trainer kit can use cards on from that set. Then we can get the main set in January or February. Another thing they could do is tins. XY tins in fall can feature Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie, and contain 4 boosters from the BW era, and a preview pack containing cards only from the beginning sets, that will ultimately end up in our base XY set that would be released January or February. In November, we would just get a reprint set, with EX battle boost cards, and some other BW reprint cards, and would be our last BW set.

Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole will only lead to failure, and releasing XY1 in November is such a case.

So much discussion of how this will impact the English release... and here I am sitting over here in the corner thinking about Japanese releases! Does this mean Japan will get another Concept Pack (like XBB) in October? Not sure how the releases will go.

Since I wasn't invested in Japanese cards at the beginning of BW, I thought I would take a look at the various release dates to try and compare. Clash at the Summit (L3) was the last Legend era set to be released in Japan on July 8th, 2010. The first Japanese BW release was Journey Partners, a set of collection sheets featuring the Starters that later became 9 out of 12 cards in the NA McD's set. Those were released in Japan September 18th. Next was the BW Beginning Set which had a number of different releases for different types, but was first released on October 29, 2010. BW1 finally came out on December 17, 2010.

So, taking the "main" releases: early-July to mid-December on sets, with a few smaller things (like the beginning sets) in between. Suddenly, I see how CoL came to be; there was no actual set from Japan to be released at that time, so TCPi put together the reprint set.

This makes me think that there probably won't be any other set released between XBB and the first XY set, which also implies strongly that TCPi will, indeed, be releasing XBB out of Japan otherwise they won't have anything to release.

I don't see why we can't get an English set alongside a Japanese one. In the past, we have consistently gotten at least a few cards every now and then before the Japanese - it happened as recently as Next Destinies.

Would it take a lot of cooperation and communication between the two? Yes, absolutely, but it CAN be done and the past has proven that. To do otherwise would be an unwise move. I think it's better to say it's "unlikely" to happen than "impossible" to happen.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
I don't see why we can't get an English set alongside a Japanese one. In the past, we have consistently gotten at most a few cards every now and then before the Japanese - it happened as recently as Next Destinies.

Would it take a lot of cooperation and communication between the two? Yes, absolutely, but it CAN be done and the past has proven that. To do otherwise would be an unwise move. I think it's better to say it's "unlikely" to happen than "impossible" to happen.

That would be true if we have gotten entire sets of decent quality before Japan did. I don't think EX Power keepers is that popular, and neither was Call of Legends. Would you want the first XY set to suck? I didn't think so. I'd rather wait till February to have the Japanese make a quality set, than risk having a higher chance of having a crappy set created by TPCi, who has not a lot of experience designing and developing the game?

There are two options, and this is making an assumption that Japan releases XY1 in December and XY2 in July.

We don't get EX battle boost, and get XY1 in December, making a simultaneous XY1 release, and get 2 filler sets, and from the past, filler sets usually suck, but some of them don't. Because we are getting XY1 in december, and have no set corresponding to our February and May release, we have to make 2 filler sets. These 2 filler sets would probably stink because it would consist of leftovers. I just don't think that TPCi will do 70 card sets, or even 60 card sets like WOTC did with Fossil or Jungle.

Sets today are usually close to 100 cards, meaning that we will have to do EX battle boost, meaning it would be released October or November, and we get XY1 in January or February, and one single filler set that can have enough content for our May release. This would be the second option. They already did release a TCG set 4 months later than the games. EX Ruby and Sapphire, by 4 months I might add.

The fact is, TPCi isn't a designer and developer for the Pokemon TCG. Anyone could probably create one or two Pokemon TCG cards, provided they have data from already existing cards, but creating entire sets from scratch and balancing them out requires expertise. We can get a set exactly the same day as Japan, but we will never get entire sets before Japan. As I said before, it would take a miracle to have a TCG set before Japan does. Even so, if we do get a set first, in Japan, it would end up being a side set, not a main set, so in 0 cases where we released an entire main set before Japan did.

From what I project the Japanese release schedule to be, I don't think Japan has any plans for a simultaneous release for the TCG. Our products and their products are vastly different and are for different markets. The VG is different because we are essentially playing the same game, but in different languages. XY is a simultaneous release because the language can be changed within the game, and is coded in. The TCG is different, because of the products and release schedules we release our sets in. In Japan, they don't have to release 4 sets a year, but for TPCi, they want to release 4 sets a year to gauge how much money per year they made, and make comparisons between years, or at least that was how it was in Magic when they decided to release Coldsnap and Eventide.

We'll see, if we get English translated leaked cards the same time the Japanese cards are spoiled, let's say November, then there is a chance for a simultaneous release. If not, then it ain't happening.

Another thing to add, I just rounded up "unlikely" to "impossible". I mean, when something is 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% to not succeed, mind as well call it impossible.

signofzeta said:
They already did release a TCG set 4 months later than the games. EX Ruby and Sapphire, by 4 months I might add.

Not to be pedantic (especially because I hope we get Battle Boost in November and XY in February), but EX RS came only three months after the games, and was kind of an exception in the first place because it was caught up in the middle of the WOTC/Nintendo contract drama.

Frost said:
signofzeta said:
They already did release a TCG set 4 months later than the games. EX Ruby and Sapphire, by 4 months I might add.

Not to be pedantic (especially because I hope we get Battle Boost in November and XY in February), but EX RS came only three months after the games, and was kind of an exception in the first place because it was caught up in the middle of the WOTC/Nintendo contract drama.

Likewise, XY1 can also be an exception because there are no cards to base the set on. It doesn't hurt to release EX battle boost in October, before the release of the XY video games, and release XY1 in January.

The best idea to tie in to the video games is preview tins and trainer kit. I haven't seen a trainer kit released before the base set of each generation was released, but considering that with the XY beginning sets in Japan, there is probably enough content to release a trainer kit, and 3 promo cards for the preview tins, as well as a 3 card bonus pack, from a 15 preview card set, along with 4 or 5 BW series pack.

Even with MTG. They release these 30 card sample decks, that local stores are to give to new players for free, before the actual core set would be released. So rather than having trainer kits, to promote the game better, they can release some half decks for free, one based on each deck from the XY beginning set from Japan.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
I'm noticing that you keep equating Pokemon to Magic. Sorry, there's just no comparison. At all.

I assume you haven't even heard of Magic the Gathering. I can name one comparison. Both are trading card games.

Oh, here's another, the mana system. Gameplay may be different, but the way you build your deck, is dependent on how much lands or energy you add to your deck.

Third comparison. Product lineup. Pokemon TCG today is comparable to MTG's product lineup from 2001 to 2008. Trainer kit = 2 player starter set. Theme deck = theme deck, now called intro packs. The Pokemon theme decks and MTG intro packs are also set associated. World champion decks. MTG had them for 6 years from 1999 to 2004. Elite trainer box = Fat pack.

I assume you want TPCi to do exactly the opposite of what made MTG so popular, especially during 2008 when Shards of Alara was released. I hated the changes that WOTC made, but whatever it was, there was an influx of new players. So you are basically saying that Pokemon should ward off new players? Is that what you are telling me, because that isn't a good marketing strategy. Do you know what is a good marketing strategy? Handing out one of three different 30 card half decks at a local game store for free to promote XY sets before its actual release, because frankly, we NEVER get entire sets before Japan does. We do get a few cards before Japan, but that is at MOST a few cards, not at least.

I'd rather not have TPCi try to fit a square peg in a round hole. There aren't going to be enough XY centric cards to import from Japan by November, because Japan hasn't released their set yet. I'd rather have XY be released January or February, which would mean we get what Japan gets, which means we probably would get a quality set. Release in November, or December means we have to rush things out, and release some TPCi made cards.

Yeah you are right. Pokemon TCG and MTG are totally different, well in the US and Europe anyway. The US company that sends out MTG products to distributors across the North American continent, and European continent as well, are also designers and developers of the game. The US company that sends out Pokemon TCG products all across North American and European distributors have limited design and development skills in making the game, and rely on a place called Japan. Guess what, there is no product from Japan, therefore the international market gets no TCG product. It's not that hard to grasp.

I've heard that, in MTG, you need to have a minimum of 60 cards in your deck (though there's no maximum), and you can only have 4 cards of the same name in your deck, with the exception being basic land cards, which you can run as many as you please.

Hmm. I wonder where I've heard that before...

What I think will happen is that TPCi will release XBB, etc. Oct/Nov and then XY1 Jan/Feb, a month or so after the Japanese release. While this wouldn't quite be syncing up sets, it would be closer than what we have had more or less so far, while still giving keeping the English releases around the same time, and TPCi time to translate, create theme decks, etc. Not sure how long such a system would last though, especially comparing how rigid the TCPi releases are with the multitude of different ways cards are released in Japan.

signofzeta said:
Skulblaka_Shur said:
I'm noticing that you keep equating Pokemon to Magic. Sorry, there's just no comparison. At all.

I assume you haven't even heard of Magic the Gathering. I can name one comparison. Both are trading card games.

Oh, here's another, the mana system. Gameplay may be different, but the way you build your deck, is dependent on how much lands or energy you add to your deck.

Third comparison. Product lineup. Pokemon TCG today is comparable to MTG's product lineup from 2001 to 2008. Trainer kit = 2 player starter set. Theme deck = theme deck, now called intro packs. The Pokemon theme decks and MTG intro packs are also set associated. World champion decks. MTG had them for 6 years from 1999 to 2004. Elite trainer box = Fat pack.

I assume you want TPCi to do exactly the opposite of what made MTG so popular, especially during 2008 when Shards of Alara was released. I hated the changes that WOTC made, but whatever it was, there was an influx of new players. So you are basically saying that Pokemon should ward off new players? Is that what you are telling me, because that isn't a good marketing strategy. Do you know what is a good marketing strategy? Handing out one of three different 30 card half decks at a local game store for free to promote XY sets before its actual release, because frankly, we NEVER get entire sets before Japan does. We do get a few cards before Japan, but that is at MOST a few cards, not at least.

I'd rather not have TPCi try to fit a square peg in a round hole. There aren't going to be enough XY centric cards to import from Japan by November, because Japan hasn't released their set yet. I'd rather have XY be released January or February, which would mean we get what Japan gets, which means we probably would get a quality set. Release in November, or December means we have to rush things out, and release some TPCi made cards.

Yeah you are right. Pokemon TCG and MTG are totally different, well in the US and Europe anyway. The US company that sends out MTG products to distributors across the North American continent, and European continent as well, are also designers and developers of the game. The US company that sends out Pokemon TCG products all across North American and European distributors have limited design and development skills in making the game, and rely on a place called Japan. Guess what, there is no product from Japan, therefore the international market gets no TCG product. It's not that hard to grasp.

Sorry but from the get-go, your tone is really condescending "oh both of them are trading card games hur dur" is what it sounding like. YES, there's a "mana-esq" system, and YES they have "similar" product line up. But the similarities end there. I've PLAYED MTG and surprise surprise, its alot more complex than Pokemon. You can't "block attacks" in Pokemon, you're "Life" is only counted as six prizes and effectively TAKES out 6 cards in your deck (whereas MTG you play with the cards you have). There are no Pokemon in this format that we can "tap/use" as "mana" (like elves or certain artifacts do in MTG) so that whole comment about mana to other cards ratio is already skewed. Oh and Pokemon tournaments at the high levels are FREE (with some being invitation/point qualifiers to earn a spot as opposed to grinding it out, and smaller tournaments that aren't event qualifiers costing money but that's TO dependent) but MTG? Because they have cash/scholarship support and such their tournaments cost money to enter. (i.e. grand prix events costing 120$ per team for Rhode Island Province)

You pretend you know things, but the fact of the matter is, MTG was geared to and has the player base target of a more late teen/adult nature whereas Pokemon is family targeted (In general). If you look at the product designs its clearly supposed to catch a child's attention-bright colors, bold graphics etc. A more older, "matured" adult eye will be drawn to the detailed, high-fantasy packaging that MTG carries. Now am I saying that 5-7 year olds don't play MTG or that no adults play Pokemon. NO. But if you want to talk about marketing strategies and product line ups so much you have to realize how differently they target people. And while we're on marketing strategy, lets also keep in mind that with the peek frustration of Yugioh players + Vanguard running around has also inadvertently had more people coming to Pokemon as well.

And that last point? Yeah. Really condescending. Check yourself before you post things. This is not run by WoTC anymore, its TPCi and they don't have this amazing forsight you seem to have. Of course we probably wont get content for our game before them but rather, discussing a simultaneous release isn't a bad thing either. It would be a neat thing since they're working so hard to do a video game simultaneous, so doing such for the TCG might as well not be very far off...

Kalyst said:
signofzeta said:

Sorry but from the get-go, your tone is really condescending "oh both of them are trading card games hur dur" is what it sounding like. YES, there's a "mana-esq" system, and YES they have "similar" product line up. But the similarities end there. I've PLAYED MTG and surprise surprise, its alot more complex than Pokemon. You can't "block attacks" in Pokemon, you're "Life" is only counted as six prizes and effectively TAKES out 6 cards in your deck (whereas MTG you play with the cards you have). There are no Pokemon in this format that we can "tap/use" as "mana" (like elves or certain artifacts do in MTG) so that whole comment about mana to other cards ratio is already skewed. Oh and Pokemon tournaments at the high levels are FREE (with some being invitation/point qualifiers to earn a spot as opposed to grinding it out, and smaller tournaments that aren't event qualifiers costing money but that's TO dependent) but MTG? Because they have cash/scholarship support and such their tournaments cost money to enter. (i.e. grand prix events costing 120$ per team for Rhode Island Province)

You pretend you know things, but the fact of the matter is, MTG was geared to and has the player base target of a more late teen/adult nature whereas Pokemon is family targeted (In general). If you look at the product designs its clearly supposed to catch a child's attention-bright colors, bold graphics etc. A more older, "matured" adult eye will be drawn to the detailed, high-fantasy packaging that MTG carries. Now am I saying that 5-7 year olds don't play MTG or that no adults play Pokemon. NO. But if you want to talk about marketing strategies and product line ups so much you have to realize how differently they target people. And while we're on marketing strategy, lets also keep in mind that with the peek frustration of Yugioh players + Vanguard running around has also inadvertently had more people coming to Pokemon as well.

And that last point? Yeah. Really condescending. Check yourself before you post things. This is not run by WoTC anymore, its TPCi and they don't have this amazing forsight you seem to have. Of course we probably wont get content for our game before them but rather, discussing a simultaneous release isn't a bad thing either. It would be a neat thing since they're working so hard to do a video game simultaneous, so doing such for the TCG might as well not be very far off...

Yeah releasing a half deck to new players for free is so not geared towards children.

signofzeta said:
Yeah releasing a half deck to new players for free is so not geared towards children.

Way to ignore everything else I just said. Anywho-

Its one thing for a company to offer said option that is such a great way to market. I mean who doesn't like free stuff? However there's the factoring in of all the TO's and the actual locations and the management. Some card shops may or may not do this. One one hand they may see it as a good opportunity to get people to buy product. But lets be honest here-unless there's some sort of event keeping said children or adults in the store with possible purchasing power, I seriously doubt they want fast in and out foot traffic. I figured that was pretty self explanatory but I guess not?

What would be even better, imho, is doing it in conjunction with a tournament as a participatory prize sort of thing. If you enter (which TO's can technically charge a 5 dollar "fee" which can go to the store) you can get one of the starter kits, youre supporting the store AND you get to play in a tournament (either you can do it as an out of the box if there's enough cards and assuming all the contents are XY only etc etc)

But heck what do I know right? Im not part of their product management or anything fancy XD

Kalyst said:
signofzeta said:

Its one thing for a company to offer said option that is such a great way to market. I mean who doesn't like free stuff? However there's the factoring in of all the TO's and the actual locations and the management. Some card shops may or may not do this. One one hand they may see it as a good opportunity to get people to buy product. But lets be honest here-unless there's some sort of event keeping said children or adults in the store with possible purchasing power, I seriously doubt they want fast in and out foot traffic. I figured that was pretty self explanatory but I guess not?

What would be even better, imho, is doing it in conjunction with a tournament as a participatory prize sort of thing. If you enter (which TO's can technically charge a 5 dollar "fee" which can go to the store) you can get one of the starter kits, youre supporting the store AND you get to play in a tournament (either you can do it as an out of the box if there's enough cards and assuming all the contents are XY only etc etc)

But heck what do I know right? Im not part of their product management or anything fancy XD

My harsh attitude was against that poster who thinks that Pokemon TCG is a separate entity from every other trading card game. Imagine drawing a venn diagram with 2 circles, one representing MTG and one representing Pokemon. If Pokemon were nothing like MTG, then there would be nothing in the overlapping portion of the two circles, and for a fact, I can name many things that can go into the overlapping section. He also said, in response of me saying we never get full sets before Japan does that we at least get a few cards before japan. That is also false, because we don't get at least a few cards, we get at most a few cards. Saying that we get at least a few cards is like saying that the minimum number of cards we get before japan is a few, and there is no limit to a maximum, which is obviously false, because we haven't even received a full on set with 100% new cards before Japan, let alone the first set in a new generation.

Ok look, the whole MTG vs Pokemon thing started when I suggested some alternate ways to get the first XY TCG set out, before there are enough cards from Japan to import. Here is one thing. WE are NEVER going to get full sets before Japan. But let's say we do get an XY set in November, or December, but what would it be? EX battle boost + the beginning sets from Japan. That's not even remotely XY to begin with. Now what are we supposed to release if there is probably going to be around 40 new XY themed cards from Japan to import? We surely can't create a set from just 40 cards.

Because we can't release a full XY set in November, and trust me, TPCi loves to release sets to tie in to releases, and this time, it is like fitting a square peg in a round hole, there are alternatives.

Preview tins with a 3 card booster from a 40ish card XY set featuring cards from the XY beginning set. I am estimating 40ish cards because the BW one had 37 different cards. And a optional gimmick is to make all the cards in this preview pack holos, or reverse holos.

A second idea I came up with is the trainer kit, the two player starter set. I am sure that the 40ish different cards that the XY beginning set will probably have can be used as cards in the trainer kit, and be released before the main set would be released for the first time.

Here is another idea. Do what MTG does, and release 30 card sample decks for free to game stores, and possibly to people who buy other pokemon merchandise. You buy Pokemon X, and through any means, either by store clerk, mail in, or whatever, you get a 30 card deck for free. Heck, even a school teacher who heads a trading card game club can spread the game to multiple kids, by handing out free 30 card half decks. Your argument, from the previous post of yours, not the one above mine, but the other one, was because you mentioned things that have nothing to do with the topic. How does the gameplay of Pokemon and Magic have anything to do with how we are going to get X and Y when Japan hasn't release their product yet? My response was also against a poster who said that Pokemon TCG is NOTHING like MTG, but in terms of product releases, it is more closer to MTG than Yugioh, Vanguard, and even WoW. Of course MTG plays differently than Pokemon TCG, but what does it have to do with when XY is released in the international market?

Here's another thing, you say that the market for Pokemon TCG and MTG are different, but I have to say that the market for Pokemon TCG in the US and Pokemon TCG in Japan are different as well. Looking at the products the Japanese are releasing, it seems they are promoting the game, and designing the game with the "game" in trading card game in mind. If TPCi were in full control of design and development, we would have had 18 types with their own energies, well 17 now, but 18 soon. The fact of the matter is, TPCi isn't the designer and developer for this game. They could at most make a few cards before Japan, but they have never made a set before Japan did. They did once with ex Power Keepers, but that set wasn't even released in retail stores in Japan, more like an limited time online order thing.

If not comparing Pokemon TCG to MTG, I should technically compare Pokemon TCG to Kaijudo. Both markets are little kids. Some say that Kaijudo is the peewee minor league MTG for the little kids before they play the big boys game. Different market, and WOTC uses similar marketing strategy, such as set specific precons, a vs deck comparable to MTG's duel decks, and they just released an all shiny holo deck similar to MTG's defunct premium deck series. I'm not saying that Pokemon TCG should outright copy WOTC, but there are some things that they can copy, such as giving away free sample decks to better give an understanding to children that this isn't like collecting hockey cards. That was only one thing that I said TPCi should do to release XY to tie in with the game before the actual full XY release, and you and this other guy are saying that I am comparing this to the entirety of Magic?

Oh, another thing I need to compare MTG with Pokemon TCG with. In the Pokegym forums, at least, I heard arguments that TPCi can't make a over 200 card deck builder set, but let's say there is a market for this kind of stuff, because the market for this kind of stuff is unimportant to this argument. The argument I was making was, WOTC can release a 285 card box set and sell it for $19.99. This was when I was adamant about including at least some energy cards in some box sets, because WOTC included lands in their fat packs. I wonder what is so different about WOTC and TPCi that they could release 285 cards and sell it for cheap, and TPCi could not do something similar, that releasing 40 extra energy cards, heck, even common cards, would drastically raise the price of the product. Last I checked, both MTG cards and Pokemon cards are made of the same material, and probably use the same ink.

It is the way it is, but I say this again, we are never getting full on sets before Japan does. If XY is released in October, and let's exaggerate here, Japan decides to release their XY cards in February, then too bad. We aren't getting XY sets until after February. It is simple as that. I initially thought that the EX battle boost set was to let the international markets catch up on TCG releases, but from what they released so far, with the beginning sets, the whole catching up thing is all a lie.

If we release EX battle boost in October, and XY1 in January, that would be what, a 3 month gap between the VG and TCG release? It isn't the end of the world to release a TCG set 3 months after the VG release, and I am certain that TPCi is also thinking the same thing. The worse that could happen is to release a poor quality product that has nothing to do with the video game that they are trying to tie in with. Again, it is all up to Japan. It was Japan who decided to sync up the video game release because the video game has a "pick a language" option built in. Why release it in Japan first, and internationally later when you can play in whatever language? If Japan doesn't have any plans to try to sync up the TCG releases, then there is nothing TPCi could do about it but to release it later.

I still think it is impossible that we are getting full sets before Japan, especially the first set of the generation, Not unlikely, but impossible, as impossible as passing a final exam when you haven't even studied at all, and the night before you played video games all night and had little to no sleep. It would take a miracle to ace a test that you never studied, and never got any sleep before the test, and similarly, it would take a miracle for TPCi to manage to release the first XY set before Japan does.

signofzeta said:
Kalyst said:

My harsh attitude was against that poster who thinks that Pokemon TCG is a separate entity from every other trading card game. Imagine drawing a venn diagram with 2 circles, one representing MTG and one representing Pokemon. If Pokemon were nothing like MTG, then there would be nothing in the overlapping portion of the two circles, and for a fact, I can name many things that can go into the overlapping section. He also said, in response of me saying we never get full sets before Japan does that we at least get a few cards before japan. That is also false, because we don't get at least a few cards, we get at most a few cards. Saying that we get at least a few cards is like saying that the minimum number of cards we get before japan is a few, and there is no limit to a maximum, which is obviously false, because we haven't even received a full on set with 100% new cards before Japan, let alone the first set in a new generation.

Ok look, the whole MTG vs Pokemon thing started when I suggested some alternate ways to get the first XY TCG set out, before there are enough cards from Japan to import. Here is one thing. WE are NEVER going to get full sets before Japan. But let's say we do get an XY set in November, or December, but what would it be? EX battle boost + the beginning sets from Japan. That's not even remotely XY to begin with. Now what are we supposed to release if there is probably going to be around 40 new XY themed cards from Japan to import? We surely can't create a set from just 40 cards.

Because we can't release a full XY set in November, and trust me, TPCi loves to release sets to tie in to releases, and this time, it is like fitting a square peg in a round hole, there are alternatives.

Preview tins with a 3 card booster from a 40ish card XY set featuring cards from the XY beginning set. I am estimating 40ish cards because the BW one had 37 different cards. And a optional gimmick is to make all the cards in this preview pack holos, or reverse holos.

A second idea I came up with is the trainer kit, the two player starter set. I am sure that the 40ish different cards that the XY beginning set will probably have can be used as cards in the trainer kit, and be released before the main set would be released for the first time.

Here is another idea. Do what MTG does, and release 30 card sample decks for free to game stores, and possibly to people who buy other pokemon merchandise. You buy Pokemon X, and through any means, either by store clerk, mail in, or whatever, you get a 30 card deck for free. Heck, even a school teacher who heads a trading card game club can spread the game to multiple kids, by handing out free 30 card half decks. Your argument, from the previous post of yours, not the one above mine, but the other one, was because you mentioned things that have nothing to do with the topic. How does the gameplay of Pokemon and Magic have anything to do with how we are going to get X and Y when Japan hasn't release their product yet? My response was also against a poster who said that Pokemon TCG is NOTHING like MTG, but in terms of product releases, it is more closer to MTG than Yugioh, Vanguard, and even WoW. Of course MTG plays differently than Pokemon TCG, but what does it have to do with when XY is released in the international market?

Here's another thing, you say that the market for Pokemon TCG and MTG are different, but I have to say that the market for Pokemon TCG in the US and Pokemon TCG in Japan are different as well. Looking at the products the Japanese are releasing, it seems they are promoting the game, and designing the game with the "game" in trading card game in mind. If TPCi were in full control of design and development, we would have had 18 types with their own energies, well 17 now, but 18 soon. The fact of the matter is, TPCi isn't the designer and developer for this game. They could at most make a few cards before Japan, but they have never made a set before Japan did. They did once with ex Power Keepers, but that set wasn't even released in retail stores in Japan, more like an limited time online order thing.

If not comparing Pokemon TCG to MTG, I should technically compare Pokemon TCG to Kaijudo. Both markets are little kids. Some say that Kaijudo is the peewee minor league MTG for the little kids before they play the big boys game. Different market, and WOTC uses similar marketing strategy, such as set specific precons, a vs deck comparable to MTG's duel decks, and they just released an all shiny holo deck similar to MTG's defunct premium deck series. I'm not saying that Pokemon TCG should outright copy WOTC, but there are some things that they can copy, such as giving away free sample decks to better give an understanding to children that this isn't like collecting hockey cards. That was only one thing that I said TPCi should do to release XY to tie in with the game before the actual full XY release, and you and this other guy are saying that I am comparing this to the entirety of Magic?

Oh, another thing I need to compare MTG with Pokemon TCG with. In the Pokegym forums, at least, I heard arguments that TPCi can't make a over 200 card deck builder set, but let's say there is a market for this kind of stuff, because the market for this kind of stuff is unimportant to this argument. The argument I was making was, WOTC can release a 285 card box set and sell it for $19.99. This was when I was adamant about including at least some energy cards in some box sets, because WOTC included lands in their fat packs. I wonder what is so different about WOTC and TPCi that they could release 285 cards and sell it for cheap, and TPCi could not do something similar, that releasing 40 extra energy cards, heck, even common cards, would drastically raise the price of the product. Last I checked, both MTG cards and Pokemon cards are made of the same material, and probably use the same ink.

It is the way it is, but I say this again, we are never getting full on sets before Japan does. If XY is released in October, and let's exaggerate here, Japan decides to release their XY cards in February, then too bad. We aren't getting XY sets until after February. It is simple as that. I initially thought that the EX battle boost set was to let the international markets catch up on TCG releases, but from what they released so far, with the beginning sets, the whole catching up thing is all a lie.

If we release EX battle boost in October, and XY1 in January, that would be what, a 3 month gap between the VG and TCG release? It isn't the end of the world to release a TCG set 3 months after the VG release, and I am certain that TPCi is also thinking the same thing. The worse that could happen is to release a poor quality product that has nothing to do with the video game that they are trying to tie in with. Again, it is all up to Japan. It was Japan who decided to sync up the video game release because the video game has a "pick a language" option built in. Why release it in Japan first, and internationally later when you can play in whatever language? If Japan doesn't have any plans to try to sync up the TCG releases, then there is nothing TPCi could do about it but to release it later.

I still think it is impossible that we are getting full sets before Japan, especially the first set of the generation, Not unlikely, but impossible, as impossible as passing a final exam when you haven't even studied at all, and the night before you played video games all night and had little to no sleep. It would take a miracle to ace a test that you never studied, and never got any sleep before the test, and similarly, it would take a miracle for TPCi to manage to release the first XY set before Japan does.

...My head hurts...
Could someone summarize that?

slashman41 said:
signofzeta said:

Grasping at straws here and reiterating whats somewhat understood. But I'll let that pass.

Never said we would. Perhaps someone else did, but as for the record I didn't. With the announced Red Genesect Collection with ALL HOLOS and a 60 card "theme deck" at that, we could be seeing some cards that were already in Japan that haven't made it over here yet. And this is assuming Japan isn't already finished with their XY set, or at least parts of it, which is very hard to believe at least for the new pokes they created + throwing in some old pokes (for example if you look at the B/W set it had some new Pokemon, but alot of older gen one's as well)

Again, see my point above. the ONLY reason we couldn't get a simultaneous release in my eyes is if they don't have the same over-saturated team working on the XY games for speedy translation.

You brought gameplay into your post and made it way oversimplified so I responded (because it really isn't as cut and dry) and then proceeded to talk about product

[I assume you haven't even heard of Magic the Gathering. I can name one comparison. Both are trading card games. This sounds like a "hur-dur" comment. A "well, well I can tell you this, which I should enlighten you with because clearly you don't know" post/tone. Reading it in its entirety sounds kind of "smart-alecky" from an outside POV. And the games are different, regardless of their structures, what they borrow from, where they originated, etc. And the reason WHY I brought up gameplay, brought up all these things is to say that, while I wouldn't say

Oh, here's another, the mana system. Gameplay may be different, but the way you build your deck, is dependent on how much lands or energy you add to your deck. A gameplay comment. Which these portions I responded to in my first paragraph.

Third comparison. Product lineup. Pokemon TCG today is comparable to MTG's product lineup from 2001 to 2008. Trainer kit = 2 player starter set. Theme deck = theme deck, now called intro packs. The Pokemon theme decks and MTG intro packs are also set associated. World champion decks. MTG had them for 6 years from 1999 to 2004. Elite trainer box = Fat pack.]

I was comparing SOLELY MTG's management vs. PTCI's branch. Not mixing the TCG handleing between the International and the Japanese, because with all foreign ports of games there will be differences due to demand on particular extra sets/goodies, what people will buy, etc. If PTCi deemed it an necessary gamble to start releasing a bunch of free hooks because of WOTC drama then that's entirely up to them. As with most companies porting over content, they can sometimes release their own cards with permission to do so from the "mother company" but still have their rights tied to Japan. Which MTG, the US branch mind you, lacks the same restriction. (well if we want to get super technical PTCi is International for a reason so they handle not just US releases but everything else, while Japan handles themselves)

*coughs lightly* Way to over extend much? I NEVER said anywhere that "you are comparing this to the entirety of MTG" but I am pointing out the substantial differences between the two (and given that's what you were talking about and being very...over-generalized?) I responded in kind. Had you brought up management for other games OUTSIDE MTG perhaps you wouldn't assume people are slanting you on the "I stand in the MTG" camp. Yes, you wee responding to someone else, but the fact of the matter is, its a very unusual thing to compare for pages and pages when the companies are run so differently and they have a different history of events + some drama etc. etc.

*points to red Genesect collection and Genesect box w/ sleeves* *proceed to insert foot in mouth* They are making more moves to release cards to the public at a faster pace (and most likely thing that we used to not get or were "Japanese exclusives" might be coming in the Genesect Collection). So they are making more and more moves to release more cards in that nice little $19.99 range you boast about for MTG's fat packs. If they want to do things differently, that don't make as much sense to you and you and nit-pick about cost of ink etc. then that's all on you.

MTG was around MUCH MUCH longer than Pokemon and therefor has a huge base and can profit from the long standing history and popularity of the game + people paying into their events etc. You can't compare them in this right and say "oh well THEY can do this why cant we" when you JUST said "I'm not saying that Pokemon TCG should outright copy WOTC, but there are some things that they can copy, such as giving away free sample decks to better give an understanding to children that this isn't like collecting hockey cards.' And as to the point I said earlier, you do make yourself doing a good chunk of your arguments based on how MTG handles their stuff as opposed to Pokemon even though you say "[..]and you and this other guy are saying that I am comparing this to the entirety of Magic?" In THIS post, you don't because you bring up Kaijudo but I digress. If you missed it before, I'll say it again, no where do I accuse anyone of being "herp derp MTG", and when you bring gameplay + marketing, and even as far as to say PRODUCTION of said cards etc. that's bringing "the entirety of MTG" into it. But I never accused you of it in the other posts.

*points to red Genesect Collection* this looks mighty suspicious if they all of a sudden give us a 60 card deck all holo + packs + other goodies. It may or may not be a lie, its too early to say.

I don't know if we'd ever release a repreint set that was there's here, since it would somewhat nerf the market for the other EX's-yes we'd get the small exclusives that were in there, but why not wait for an international release and bloat our national set with all the new content from EX Battle Boost + Shinny collection (if it doesn't appear in the red genesect box) PLUS the XY stuff? That sync's up the whole TCG which would be incredible imo. It is up to Japan, which makes the comparisons to MTG and Pokemon kind of moot.

*facepalm* I doubt we would but I believe more in an international release, if they have the staff/time/actual nerve to try and accomplish it. Japan has always (To my knowledge I could be wrong) had a history of having sets for a good 2-3 months then having to self neuter themselves for Worlds because "everyone else's format is behind". Why not sync up both releases and making it fun for everyone? I think you miss that whole point in my entire posts.

...My head hurts...

TL;DR

PTCi handles stuff differently.

Japan, being the "mother company", will change how it's handled, and caters releases of certain products based on the history of the franchise there, while PTCi will do what they believe is best (even though it may not be the best choices?)

Alot of MTG comparison, leading to the long-winded discussion and running around in circles about MTG vs PTCi-nothing is accomplished except for the fact that, while MTG and Pokemon have similarities, it is ran very differently and as such should be treated differently in regards to how they handle product.

We can critique how they do it, but suffice to say, there are two points being argued and getting missed mine being 1) I would think that an international release w/ a bloated XY set would be nice but hard to do, and that Pokemon and MTG should be treated as different entities while having certain similarities while the other point 2) PTCi will never release anything before Japan for XY, and that "how come PTCi can't do what MTG does to promote XY", which wasn't the point I was arguing for/against. But however, I will put my two cents on it, which I did.

But I can see the possibility of having a super bloated set with EX Battle Boost combined w/ XY just for tournament/format purposes given the funky rotation we have for NXD on.

Kalyst said:
slashman41 said:
...My head hurts...

TL;DR

Japan, being the "mother company", will change how it's handled, and caters releases of certain products based on the history of the franchise there, while PTCi will do what they believe is best (even though it may not be the best choices?)

Alot of MTG comparison, leading to the long-winded discussion and running around in circles about MTG vs PTCi-nothing is accomplished except for the fact that, while MTG and Pokemon have similarities, it is ran very differently and as such should be treated differently in regards to how they handle product.

We can critique how they do it, but suffice to say, there are two points being argued and getting missed mine being 1) I would think that an international release w/ a bloated XY set would be nice but hard to do, and that Pokemon and MTG should be treated as different entities while having certain similarities while the other point 2) PTCi will never release anything before Japan for XY, and that "how come PTCi can't do what MTG does to promote XY", which wasn't the point I was arguing for/against. But however, I will put my two cents on it, which I did.

But I can see the possibility of having a super bloated set with EX Battle Boost combined w/ XY just for tournament/format purposes given the funky rotation we have for NXD on.

It doesn't mean that TPCi and WOTC can't learn from each other, or that one trading card game company must do the opposite to what another trading card company does. In such cases there are some overlaps between MTG and Pokemon TCG.

Here we go, yet another MTG vs Pokemon TCG comparison. Speaking of the Red Genesect box, have you heard of the Premium Deck series that WOTC released for MTG in 2009, 2010, and 2011? Now me, I think the red genesect box will sell, while the PDS didn't. I also think neither will sell well if it was priced at $35 MSRP, and I am not comparing MTG and Pokemon here, as I think any all-foil deck will not sell for $35. The price is too steep.

With the Red Genesect box, the tins not being XY preview tins, it chances of the November release being the first XY set is going down. Whatever the first XY set is, I hope TPCi doesn't force it in, when Japan doesn't have their set ready yet, or doesn't have plans to synchronize the releases.

Now if they only made a super rare, ultra rare, or secret rare only structure deck for yugioh.

signofzeta said:
Kalyst said:
TL;DR

It doesn't mean that TPCi and WOTC can't learn from each other, or that one trading card game company must do the opposite to what another trading card company does. In such cases there are some overlaps between MTG and Pokemon TCG.

"[...]while PTCi will do what they believe is best (even though it may not be the best choices?). [...]while MTG and Pokemon have similarities, it is ran very differently and as such should be treated differently in regards to how they handle product." Repeating what I'm essentially saying >.< They have their own ways of doing things, etc. etc...

Here we go, yet another MTG vs Pokemon TCG comparison. Speaking of the Red Genesect box, have you heard of the Premium Deck series that WOTC released for MTG in 2009, 2010, and 2011? Now me, I think the red genesect box will sell, while the PDS didn't. I also think neither will sell well if it was priced at $35 MSRP, and I am not comparing MTG and Pokemon here, as I think any all-foil deck will not sell for $35. The price is too steep.

Erp did you read the news post? The one that says it's MSRP will be $19.99? *sigh* Nevermind I think you're getting the purple Genesect Battle/collector box whatever the heck it is and the Red Genesect Collectors box mixed up (the purple one is 35$+ iirc, which I believe comes with packs, sleeves a deck box and something else)

With the Red Genesect box, the tins not being XY preview tins, it chances of the November release being the first XY set is going down. Whatever the first XY set is, I hope TPCi doesn't force it in, when Japan doesn't have their set ready yet, or doesn't have plans to synchronize the releases.

Now if they only made a super rare, ultra rare, or secret rare only structure deck for yugioh.

Ha. Ha. *slow sarcastic clap* I see what you did there...given Yugiohs history and the fact that Konami LOVES making money off the idiots who invest in it, they're better off just making all the stupid Hidden Arsenal packs full holo packs rather than making decks...

Back