(1) First XY TCG Products Unveiled: 'XY Beginning Sets' [7/16]

...well, this is interesting.
But I don't like the tease...show us what the cards look like if you're gonna reveal the product, PCL >:I

If we get a bunch of 3D Garbage I will NOT be impressed.
Stick to the nice art, you've proven yourselves with EX Battle Boost...

I've had the "Pokemon card game hajimari set" jingle stuck in my head for three long years, I hope these don't get an equally as catchy commercial.

Not sure if the cards at the bottom are merely a quick mock up, but it looks as if the example cards are (or heavily based on) BW templates. Much like the Neo card templates were heavily based on Classic era (in the vein of their games), could this hint Kalos and Unova are similarly connected?

That is definitely assuming a lot, though, and there's a very good chance I'm wrong. If I honestly had to guess, I'd say that the bottom cards ARE just mock ups. Hell, it probably says it somewhere on the images (in addition to the '?').

Well after this there is what I think: Japan will get a Set in September, and we will get that set and the 23 cards from EX Battle Boost etc in that set, so after that yes we will get a XY set, Japan will get XY on December and we get it in 2014, the gap will be small and will exist anyway.

So:

USA:

August: Plasma Blast
November: BW: 11 all remain BW cards together and September JPN last set
End/Biggining of the year XY

Japan:

July: EX Battle Boost
September: Last BW
December: XY

Sorry my Inglish is what I think.

I just can't believe in 2013, we still have things being marketed to boys as tough and fierce and to girls as cute, cuddly and pink!!

Finally, the B&W nightmare is over. Get rid of those EXs and balance the gameplay (drop those broken trainers too). We don't need another format like this again. It's far too similar to the Base set one, which was broken.

Zaqix said:
I just can't believe in 2013, we still have things being marketed to boys as tough and fierce and to girls as cute, cuddly and pink!!

There's nothing stopping you from buying the other one despite who it's marketed to, I'm going to get the female-aimed carry case despite being an adult male.

Seems like Japan will get XY1 in December with us getting it in February (January with prerealeses) depending on when XY2 is released we could get a synced release starting then, but even if we don't releases should be much closer together.

Battle Boost with the Exciting Battle mini sets and leftover promos (maybe even Shiny Collection since it is mostly reprints too) will be our November set. This essentially makes a Next Destines on rotation completely pointless as only Eelektrik and Klinklang have not been reprinted out of all useful cards in BLW through NVI. Ah well.

You know, Japan, it's funny that you're releasing this set in November - because, well, WE usually get a set in November, too. I see what you're doing there!

Seriously, this would be a GREAT opportunity to sync up the TCG. I can see it happening! (As I recall, normally sets in Japan are released in October, not November - in addition to other months, but you get my drift.)

So lame...seems they didn´t learn anything in these 3 years. Exact same strategy again? I´m glad I decided to stop collecting newer stuff with the release of X and Y :p

lol... This is the first product announced for the XY TCG era and you guys think there will be a set released before these kits?? No way, period. This is just like the beginning of BW as WPM pointed out in the news... They will release these first and only then, probably December, they will release the first main XY set (let me guess: X Collection and Y Collection)...

I think we may actually get EX Battle Boost and other stuff in the west after reading this news...

As the news story states, this brings back some serious memories of the first Black and White TCG stuff. Let's see:

B/W Starter Sets

X/Y Beginning Sets

Business Plan: Highlight, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

No complaints from me, though. I like the images on the products. :0

Hoping we get Battle Booster + filler in November and XY + this in February. :3

Well from the looks of it, looks like we won't be getting XY1 close to release of the video games. Although, we can get the trainer kit close to release, if you know what I mean.

Ok, here's how I think it should go. November will be our EX battle boost analog, with some filler cards, and possibly some more reprints. We are NEVER releasing any set before Japan, and we have never done so in the past. There were times when we switched order of releases to tie in with the movie, but in those situations, Japan already has the set released. For example, we want to tie in the Deoxys movie with EX Deoxys, so we release Team Rocket Returns first, but at the time of the release, Team Rocket strikes back was already released in Japan. Now in this situation, to pull off the switcheroo, we'd have to delay until after December, because that is when Japan will probably release the XY main set, rather than starter decks, or beginning sets. Then we'd have to release the Black and White reprint and filler cards after our first XY set, which is kind of dumb seeing how the second set goes back to the BW era. We, of course might get some filler cards, and they might split the set in half, but I highly doubt it.

Chances are, TPCi loves releasing the base set of each generation close to the release of the games, but if there is no set released in Japan, then they can't do anything about it, and just release it in January or February.

signofzeta said:
Well from the looks of it, looks like we won't be getting XY1 close to release of the video games. Although, we can get the trainer kit close to release, if you know what I mean.

Ok, here's how I think it should go. November will be our EX battle boost analog, with some filler cards, and possibly some more reprints. We are NEVER releasing any set before Japan, and we have never done so in the past. There were times when we switched order of releases to tie in with the movie, but in those situations, Japan already has the set released. For example, we want to tie in the Deoxys movie with EX Deoxys, so we release Team Rocket Returns first, but at the time of the release, Team Rocket strikes back was already released in Japan. Now in this situation, to pull off the switcheroo, we'd have to delay until after December, because that is when Japan will probably release the XY main set, rather than starter decks, or beginning sets. Then we'd have to release the Black and White reprint and filler cards after our first XY set, which is kind of dumb seeing how the second set goes back to the BW era. We, of course might get some filler cards, and they might split the set in half, but I highly doubt it.

Chances are, TPCi loves releasing the base set of each generation close to the release of the games, but if there is no set released in Japan, then they can't do anything about it, and just release it in January or February.

Well, they could easily split them in half... Japan's Black Collection & White Collection were split up to BLW Base Set and BLW Emerging Powers.

Back