1 Exeggcute PF Tech Card

ashtavakra

Overlord
Exeggcute – Grass – HP30
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Sap Sipper
Once during your turn, if this Pokemon is in your discard pile, you can put it into your hand.

[G][C] Seed Bomb: 30 damage.

I had an idea, and I was thinking of ALL the times I would be mapping out my hand on a turn
and I was always that 1 card short in my hand for using a computer search or dowsing machine or ultra ball for discarding.
You know when your hand looks something similar too:
Juniper
Energy
DCE
Ultra Ball
Dowsing Machine
Random Basic Pokemon
+ random card at the start of your turn.

I always found myself getting such hands and being ALWAYs 1 card short of "cashing out" is what I call it, when you are able to use EVERY card in your hand in some way. I always thought that this Exeggcute from the discard could come into use. To get off that ultra ball and downsing machine and supporter to replenish after.

Anyways, thoughts and input are always welcome. I am obviously away of the biggest threat teching 1 of these cards in your deck would be..
Start Turn 1 with a lone exeggcute and no other basics and your opponent goes first.
High donk possibility but would it be worth it?

Nope. Playing this as a 9th or 10th basic probably increases your chance of getting donked by 5% or so, that's terrible.

I have been pondering this idea ever since Exeggcute was revealed.
Would it be worth it? Here's my answer.

Yes.

So then it might find it's way into more of the mainstream or decks that run ultra ball and other discarding trainers?

I do believe that, yes. I've been trying to see if I can fit 1 Exeggcute into my deck, but so far I can't. I mean, if you do have room and you use Ultra Ball a lot, go for it. But if taking out a card means sacrificing a good deal of consistency, then don't.

The first time you lead with a lone exeggcute youll wish you would have never teched him in

Jenkem said:
The first time you lead with a lone exeggcute youll wish you would have never teched him in

depends on your basic count.
obviously in a deck with 9 or less basics you wouldn't ever run an exeggcute.... common sense

Weavile will be the only deck this card will see play in IMO, and even then, I feel that will only be a fun league deck

Weavile/Exeggcute has actually proven to be immensely strong in my testing. OHKOing EXes with a non-EX for 2 energy and being Colress Machine compatible is just too good. And yes, I've seen 1 or even 2 exeggcutes popping up in opponents' decks, or even mine, since Bebessearch updated.

Personally as a tech in most decks, I wouldn't go for it. The format is pretty fast right now, and if you start with it, you're as good as dead.

The idea of a card that can come back as a free discard is fun, but like others have mentioned... You start with it, you're done. Thundurus, Deoxys, and other strong and fast basics are all over the place, if you slip turn 1 without getting KOed hopefully the next card you draw isn't energy or another Exeggcute!

MrSquarepants said:
The idea of a card that can come back as a free discard is fun, but like others have mentioned... You start with it, you're done. Thundurus, Deoxys, and other strong and fast basics are all over the place, if you slip turn 1 without getting KOed hopefully the next card you draw isn't energy or another Exeggcute!

There is no need for having a second exeggcute. I understand the point of having exeggcute alone might get you DONKED but you can easily play SER, CPU Search, Dowsing Machine, Ultra Ball, etc.

Dowsing Machine (discard Ultra Ball and the energy) for whatever you need. Attach DCE. Bench random Basic. Juniper. Whiff.

Not too bad of a play. With Exeggcute, you could have thinned your deck with the Ultra Ball as well, but it's just one card, and you'll be discarding everything you don't use with Juniper anyways. I wouldn't mind starting with it with Float Stone, Keldeo, Switch, but the problem is being donked. It gets donked by just about the entire meta. Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus (no Stagium required), Cobalion, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Sableye (with Darkclaw), HTL. If you start with it, you can almost guarantee you will be donked.

I'm going to try and see if I can sneak in 1 Exeggcute into my list and see how it works out. I'll playtest a bit and see how it works out!
Donk risk? I run Eels; I already run that risk :p

I feel you're better off managing your hand manually, and really paying the cost in order to use Ultra Ball, Computer Search, or Dowsing Machine. It feels more natural that way.

Now then, Exeggucte's deliberate teamwork with Weavile (T PSM) is a different story, and by all means, use him there!

Back