Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
Mew Vmax is not only underpowered, but come Lost Origin, with drapion v bring basic AND can use its attack w/ ANY energy type for one less energy per Single, Rapid, AND/OR fusion, strike pokemon placed in play by the mew vmax player, it could become rogue, and/or not worth $30 for a half Mew Vmax deck... :(
A deck having counters doesn't make it bad, it makes it balanced

ProfesserPopplio

Professional Air Breather
Is the decklist good?: no

Is it good for people who what to try to build a Mew Vmax Deck?: yes

If they sell these at GameStop, it’ll be easy to get cards

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
A deck having counters doesn't make it bad, it makes it balanced
Yeah, but what if that balance requires no energy due to too many fusion strikers vs. a staple that is included in all decks due to the counter not requiring any energy type that differs from the one or two basic energy types such deck runs(meaning it can be used anywhere)?

^ Guess October will answer the paper statement vs. the true picture of the competitive meta...

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
Deck doesn't come out until November. By then we will have Drapion V in the format to easily counter any potential revival of mew in the format. Glad its coming out to make it cheaper for others for kids and casual play.

xtal

Aspiring Trainer
This is a bad take. Anything that helps gives players easier access to competitive play should be considered a good thing. You shouldn't be chasing cards like this out of packs anyway. Besides, there's still the higher rarity versions if you really want the chase.
Look I totally get that. That's a good point. I'm just a tcg boomer and did enjoy the simplicity of the cards marked as rare/holo being truly rare. But there are benefits as you outlined, and alt arts. Shouldn't have worded it as "chase" because yeah its effectively a bad gambling habit when interpreted it as that. But in a more fun framing, just that magic of finding a Mew that is hard to get. There's cons to cards being hard to get, getting priced out, but it's just less magical to be holding one when its on every store shelf abundantly I guess. Like a rare WoW mount back in the day, but now its $25 in the store.

Last edited:

xtal

Aspiring Trainer
Damnnnnnn, never before have I seen such a bad take. I have a few opinions on this.

1) No one buys packs for singles. It's for drafts and for fun. If you want singles then buy them online. The chase wasn't really there from the get go as 9 times out of 10 you would be losing money.

2) And if you're getting back into the TCG, isn't it a good thing that Pokemon is reprinting these sought for cards in these preconstructed decks? You would need to spend less money to build the deck and you have something to play with before you begin the slow process of upgrading to the full competitive version.

Sounds like a complaint just for the sake of complaining to be honest.
Wasnt expecting people to get so mad at me. Sorry everyone. As I said in a different response, back when I was little and opening base set there was just a beauitful simplicity of the rare legendaries being truly rare. The access for competitive is great. But for example the magic of the base set charizard was that it was incredibly rare and not in $30 boxes. There's huge negatives to that setup, but it was kind of neat. And as others outlined, that aspect still exists with the alternate arts, so everything is fine.

I guess part of me just wants pokemon like *Mew* to be a bit more illusive, but that is not how they design it. Is what it is!

LilTone96TTV

Aspiring Trainer
Wasnt expecting people to get so mad at me. Sorry everyone. As I said in a different response, back when I was little and opening base set there was just a beauitful simplicity of the rare legendaries being truly rare. The access for competitive is great. But for example the magic of the base set charizard was that it was incredibly rare and not in $30 boxes. There's huge negatives to that setup, but it was kind of neat. And as others outlined, that aspect still exists with the alternate arts, so everything is fine.

I guess part of me just wants pokemon like *Mew* to be a bit more illusive, but that is not how they design it. Is what it is!
You do realise you have the choice not to buy this product if you don’t like it and buy packs if that’s your taste. Personally I like Pokemon giving us cards like this because it is more accessible to new players wanting to play at tourneys.

This product is more aimed at players than collectors let’s be honest. Also if you don’t like the product just don’t buy it and buy packs.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Back when I was little there were 16 holos in Base Set. Now there's sets with like 86 holos/ultra rares every three months. If anything they need to do more releases like this.

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
Kind of bummed that theyre just dropping main VMAX/VSTAR in $30-60 boxes. I'm sure theyve been doing this for a while, I'm just getting back into TCG. Kind of ruins the chase of trying to get it from set packs..
As a magic player, this is one of the things I love most about Pokemon. A lot of playable cards in Magic that literally just got reprinted are $50+ because they're not easy to obtain

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account

This is a card GAME, cards are not only to be appreciated, they are meant to be played with. "Back then when I was young holos were rare" is such a snooze argument. We are not in 1998 anymore. Things evolve.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
The only good thing about this existing is that it'll give a ton of credits in PTCGL, but that game is gonna be hated for at least 3-5 years and did a good job of demonstrating what happens when you give everyone this deck.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Kind of bummed that theyre just dropping main VMAX/VSTAR in $30-60 boxes. I'm sure theyve been doing this for a while, I'm just getting back into TCG. Kind of ruins the chase of trying to get it from set packs..
Just a simple question: Wouldn't you prefer to have it guaranteed for an affordable price rather than buying many boosters for a chance?

Subtervotion

Aspiring Trainer

When I saw your first post, I was echoing what everyone already said. I say, good on you for this reply. Having easy access to competitive cards is certainly a good thing for all players. Welcome back to the hobby.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Ironic coming from a Deoxys lover but. I really think Deoxys was kinda unnecessary in this box, yet he does make for some box filler. I do guess it would speak volumes to have an entire playset of Genesect V and Meloetta over 2 Deoxys and an Oricorio subtracting from it as Pokémon would just be handing out an obvious list.
Glad to see Fusion Strike is now an accessible to all deck now however!

Maybe it's inclusion is to give the deck an exclusive card lol.

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
Shouldn've been a Rayquaza VMAX League Battle Deck. Would preserve the trade value of some V Cards.. 🙁
Rayquaza Vmax is awful, it never picked up play. If anything it should've been Duraludon Vmax but they probably didn't make it because most decks use the Duraludon from Champion's Path and and they probably decided against putting a card from a special set in a product like this.