‘Pokken Tournament’ Announced! [8/26]

don()shinobi said:
But do we know for an undeniable fact that every single fighter will be a Fighting type? I'm not talking about theories like "the inclusion of the TCG Fighting type symbol means there are only Fighting types". Do we have a source that confirms only Fighting types will be playable?

I wasn't saying that that's the case, I'm saying that if they really wanted to, it would not be hard to make a game completely out of fighting type, bi-pedal Pokemon.

Not to mention, but im like 99% sure all tekken characters stood on two legs, it would just be weird fighting with an Espeon, you cant give it super-pychic powers, it would be OP. Meaning that if they did put someone like Espeon in, they would have to make it bi-pedal as it would look stupid otherwise.

Dunsparce, Smeargle, and Hariyama is all I want for this game. Looking forward to seeing game footage.

*sighs the sigh of sad men who don't have arcades near them nor live in Japan*

don()shinobi said:
garbodorable said:
I'll also echo some of the disappointment that this is a Tekken-skin fighting game. Especially one with only bipedal, fighting type pokemon. It's such a waste.
We know three fighters and you're concluding that only bipedal Fighting types are playable?

You're right, I'm only going off what's been shown so far. But given that it's a Tekken tie-in, Namco's history of fighting games, and what we've seen of the engine, it definitely looks more like a hand-to-hand brawler than something that can accommodate all kinds of pokemon.

3 for 3 on humanoid fighting types seems to confirm that. But I hope they surprise me.

Mr.Muffin said:
Dunsparce, Smeargle, and Hariyama is all I want for this game. Looking forward to seeing game footage.
I'm all for the love and buffing of Dunsparce, but how do you expect everyone's favorite Tsuchinoko to fare in a Tekken-skin fighting game? Yeah, yeah, we don't know what the final game will look like, but c'mon...its chances are slim-to-none, with a heavy lean toward none. Smeargle's chances are slightly better, but I don't foresee it having the necessary moves to fit in. If the gameplay footage is representative of the game as a whole, I think Hariyama is the only Pokémon you listed with a fighting chance (see what I did there?) for inclusion.

CMP said:
Mr.Muffin said:
I'm all for the love and buffing of Dunsparce, but how do you expect everyone's favorite Tsuchinoko to fare in a Tekken-skin fighting game? Yeah, yeah, we don't know what the final game will look like, but c'mon...its chances are slim-to-none, with a heavy lean toward none. Smeargle's chances are slightly better, but I don't foresee it having the necessary moves to fit in. If the gameplay footage is representative of the game as a whole, I think Hariyama is the only Pokémon you listed with a fighting chance (see what I did there?) for inclusion.

This game will foreshadow Dunsparce's rise to Ubers. So it will look natural it will be in a Mech suit. He will also use Hyper Beam

I-I cannot explain to you how much I've wanted to smash my computer today.
THIS IS COMING TO CONSOLES! AND THIS IS COMING TO AMERICA! How the heck are so many people this-UGH!? Jeez....

Anyways.

IM SUPER HYPED!!

FINALLY! I hope it will have more than just Fighting types, as they're only typed with 11 other types and 8 of them are just once or twice.

Before you guys freak out about the Arcade Only or the Japan Only thing

A lot of the Tekken games (examples being Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 [the series is only 7 games big]) begin their lives in Arcades. I have no idea why they begin in arcades, but they do. Usually a year or two later, the game gets ported to a console and released internationally.

So yeah guys, no stress. Get hyped!

Frost said:
It depends on how they approach the game. For the most part, Namco's fighting games i.e. Tekken and Soul Calibur stick to melee combat and there aren't as many insane projectiles and such that are in more fantasy-oriented fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

If they follow the Tekken formula I would expect a roster of physical fighters like Lucario, Breloom, Machamp, Hariyama, Mienshao, etc. Especially because Smash Bros. is around to provide the more 'fantasy' fighting scenario with Pokemon who can breathe fire and shoot water.

Judging by the the early vid and pics, it doesn't seem to be following that closely to Tekken much at all.

screenShot03.png

Lucario using Aura Sphere, here. If this was Tekken, this type of attack would either be close to useless or belong to an End Boss (re: Tekken 5's Jinpachi).

Furthermore, there's this:

...According to Harada, the game doesn’t use Tekken’s engine, and is something completely new.
- http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/26/pokkn-tournament-will-focus-action-aspect-fighting-games/#zPHVw0PjP4cbIXXh.99

However Pokken shapes up to be, it'll be something new and unto itself. So it really won't be the straight "Tekken re-skin" that some may think.

Today's stream also confirmed that next week's Famitsu will also stand to have to more Pokken in it (as part of a large Namco spread in that issue). So, here's hoping for more good stuff to look at...

You can tweet the game's official twitter @pokken_official with the hashtag #ポッ拳 to let them know what Pokemon you would like to see in the game. They asked fans to tell them who they want to see. :D Make sure you guys add Heracross, Hawlucha, and especially Hitmontop in addition to who ever you really want to see! ;)

Retro_on_theGo said:
You can tweet the game's official twitter @pokken_official with the hashtag #ポッ拳 to let them know what Pokemon you would like to see in the game. They asked fans to tell them who they want to see. :D Make sure you guys add Heracross, Hawlucha, and especially Hitmontop in addition to who ever you really want to see! ;)

But having just Fighting types would be boring. I said Raichu.

Tekken and Pokemon are the only 2 games I love. This is very interesting, never would have imagined the Tekken devs working on a Pokemon game or vice-versa.

I'd like to point out that Mario Kart Arcade did come to America and it was also a Nintendo/NamcoBandai joint project. In fact, it's extremely easy to find one of those machines in America, as nearly any arcade that bought new machines within the last 6 years has one. The sequel made it here too.

If Mario Kart is a big enough franchise to do so well, Pokemon might also be. A big reason that Battrio didn't come here is because the few attempts to bring Mushiking-style arcade games to America have all flopped pretty badly.

Retro_on_theGo said:

You should also follow the game's producer @Harada_Tekken. He may be willing to let a few details get out there.

Like a few minutes ago:

Guys, Don't worry about that.
It's not only Fighting-type
RT@Joshawott Will Pokkén Tournament's cast be limited to Fighting-type Pokémon or
- https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/504671535391465472

GODZILLA said:
Will it only be limited to Fighting types?

Er, did you read the last comment. Some guy (part of the Pokken project) said no, its not limited to Fighting-type.

Back