Sun & Moon Starter Pokemon

Jeez, barely 2 weeks in and the fakes are already starting? Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have my hands full with the catalog this gen....? ;-;

But on the off chance these are real, that water starter is adorbs.

Also, here are more 'screenshots' of other potential fakes I didn't see already posted here (but I didn't watch the videos).

sun-moon-fakes1.jpg

sun-moon-fakes2.jpg
sun-moon-fakes3.jpg

OHHOWL FOR 2016

We'll know for sure if any of these are real once CoroCoro leaks in a few days, so for now it's a waiting game -w-

I found this video online, don't know if it's real though...
Certainly looks like the Woodpecker Pokemon, but it seems too good to be true.

We've known about this list since before Sun/Moon was revealed (where this was labelled as "Gen 6.5"), and the game's reveal pretty much dismisses it as fake. The mascots don't match with SM's theme (these mascots are "quantum" and "singularity", which might I add are incredibly complex subjects that I don't even fully understand, let alone the younger audience that Game Freak is actually targeting), so that alone pretty much throws this rumor out the window.

That list is horribly faked, the mascots don't even have anything to do with Sun or Moon.

Indeed, that too is another hint. The list is also too small for my taste, and I doubt a entire list of Pokémon for Gen 7 would leak so easily.

Jeez, barely 2 weeks in and the fakes are already starting? Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have my hands full with the catalog this gen....? ;-;

Also, here are more 'screenshots' of other potential fakes I didn't see already posted here (but I didn't watch the videos).

sun-moon-fakes1.jpg

sun-moon-fakes2.jpg
sun-moon-fakes3.jpg

OHHOWL FOR 2016

We'll know for sure if any of these are real once CoroCoro leaks in a few days, so for now it's a waiting game -w-

Very imaginative for potential fakes. People seem to have too much time on their hands these days to make these in a short time. I'm also seeing a Pokémon that looks like a rabbit. Is that supposed to be a new Fire Starter? I can't see the said Water starter though, the one that you're speaking of. Regardless, I'm heavily leaning on these being absolutely fake, mainly, because the supposed cover legends really look extremely awful, with Sun's supposed Legendary looking too blocky and hideous.

We've known about this list since before Sun/Moon was revealed (where this was labelled as "Gen 6.5"), and the game's reveal pretty much dismisses it as fake. The mascots don't match with SM's theme (these mascots are "quantum" and "singularity", which might I add are incredibly complex subjects that I don't even fully understand, let alone the younger audience that Game Freak is actually targeting), so that alone pretty much throws this rumor out the window.

If I'm right about this, not saying I am, singularities pretty much relate to black holes, and quantum science relates to spacetime, although the latter might not be accurate, as I got that from the DC Universe Online game where the Quantum powerset dealt with gravity, time and space abilities. But yeah, either way its too complex. The list even misses potential starters which is pretty much a given for any new Gen.

Last edited:
Caling Fennekin a dog is kind of a stretch but I'd really love a Fire Snake starter! :D
Well... they already have snivy for grass so i don't think that they will do that but it would be cool

Just realized that this year is the year of the monkey... but then chimchar

DIAMOND AND PEARL SINNOH REMAKE CONFIRMED!!

but actually this might mean something so does anyone want to look really deep into this?

Helpy Stuff: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Sinnoh

Last edited by a moderator:
People, they have barely announced the games; could we, for even a moment, be level-headed and not give any credence or "what do you guys think of this? true/not true?" to any "leaks"?

Just, send them straight to the rumor depository instead of treating them like they might possibly probably have a chance of being real because, five posts later, people will start to discuss them like they actually might be.

I mean, discussing the fakes' quality or design is perfectly fine; just, keep in mind they're not the originals; gamefreak would have to be really dumb to let the starters or legends, the most important pokemon of a generation, leak so soon.

sun-moon-fakes1.jpg

OHHOWL FOR 2016

I do like the horse with the starry mane, but not as a legendary. It's a nice design. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with it reminding me a little of Princess Luna, not at all.

Last edited:
People, they have barely announced the games; could we, for even a moment, be level-headed and not give any credence or "what do you guys think of this? true/not true?" to any "leaks"?
It's fun. People like speculating, and at this point, their's not much else to do in regards to discussing the games.

Well... they already have snivy for grass so i don't think that they will do that but it would be cool

We already had Squirtle for a turtle yet we still got Turtwig.
I wouldn't mind a fire snake for a starter (I actually had a Fire/Dark snake starter Fakemon that I made) but as long as it had enough to differentiate it from the Snivy line.

We already had Squirtle for a turtle yet we still got Turtwig.
I wouldn't mind a fire snake for a starter (I actually had a Fire/Dark snake starter Fakemon that I made) but as long as it had enough to differentiate it from the Snivy line.

Exactly! It's not like Gamefreak ever had problems with visiting the same concepts over and over again. Otherwise we wouldn't have 7 moths/butterflies, (at least) 3 cats and a truckload of vaguely fox inspired things or electric rodents.
besides people need to realize that saying stuff like "We can't have a fire starter snake, we already have a snake(like) starter!" is just a little less ridiculous than saying "we can't have another bird starter! We already have Torchick! Piplup must be purged from canon!" (not quite, but similar)
Snakes are a large group of diverse animals, offerin lots of potential for very unique pokemon.

Exactly! It's not like Gamefreak ever had problems with visiting the same concepts over and over again. Otherwise we wouldn't have 7 moths/butterflies, (at least) 3 cats and a truckload of vaguely fox inspired things or electric rodents.
besides people need to realize that saying stuff like "We can't have a fire starter snake, we already have a snake(like) starter!" is just a little less ridiculous than saying "we can't have another bird starter! We already have Torchick! Piplup must be purged from canon!" (not quite, but similar)
Snakes are a large group of diverse animals, offerin lots of potential for very unique pokemon.

Yeah, I was gonna mention Torchic and Piplup as being similar, but then decided against it since they are based on two different birds and after the first stage (which, for any bird based starter, is gonna be some cutesy pile of feathers) they do get noticeably different (whereas snakes, despite there being a lot of different species, do for the most part share the same body shape - but, to be honest, even that can be worked around - the new snake could be shown as always in a coil or something, which iirc we haven't really seen Serperior do at all).
Although I do think there is a slight difference with starters when it comes to similar concepts - I think it's mainly because they're usually always used as mascots for the games they're in and as such I think some people have this notion that they all have to be individual enough for people to always remember and not look too much as though they're repeating similar concepts (which I think is partially why no one wants to ever see a Fire/Fighting again in their lives)

Just, send them straight to the rumor depository instead of treating them like they might possibly probably have a chance of being real because, five posts later, people will start to discuss them like they actually might be.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up there prof.

As the person running the linked 'rumor depository', I would like to remind everyone that it is not in fact a rumor depository, but rather a catalog of CONFIRMED FAKES. It stopped being a depository of all rumors after the X/Y incarnation and the forum layout changed. If public demand wants it to go back to collecting both confirmed rumors, I'd be happy to. However, I would need mod approval to do so, as it goes against the current forum layout-- not to mention specific mod instructions I was given in the OR/AS catalog.

In the meantime though, unconfirmed rumors should not be posted in the CONFIRMED FAKE Rumor Catalog until they are 100% confirmed fake. It's rare, but sometimes these leaks do pan out somehow.

All speculative rumors (like the ones in question) should be discussed in topics labeled with the 'speculation' or 'rumor' tags-- such as the one we are currently in.

If/when these are debunked, they will be put in the Confirmed Fake Catalog, and I will update the topic with [Last Updated xx/xx].

This has been a friendly PSA. Tana out.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up there prof.

As the person running the linked 'rumor depository', I would like to remind everyone that it is not in fact a rumor depository, but rather a catalog of CONFIRMED FAKES. It stopped being a depository of all rumors after the X/Y incarnation and the forum layout changed. If public demand wants it to go back to collecting both confirmed rumors, I'd be happy to. However, I would need mod approval to do so, as it goes against the current forum layout-- not to mention specific mod instructions I was given in the OR/AS catalog.

In the meantime though, unconfirmed rumors should not be posted in the CONFIRMED FAKE Rumor Catalog until they are 100% confirmed fake. It's rare, but sometimes these leaks do pan out somehow.

All speculative rumors (like the ones in question) should be discussed in topics labeled with the 'speculation' or 'rumor' tags-- such as the one we are currently in.

If/when these are debunked, they will be put in the Confirmed Fake Catalog, and I will update the topic with [Last Updated xx/xx].

This has been a friendly PSA. Tana out.

My apologies; I thought it was still a repository, like it was back in XY. I wasn't here for the ORAS discussions.

My apologies; I thought it was still a repository, like it was back in XY. I wasn't here for the ORAS discussions.

Hey, it's cool. I had the same confusion when I started up the OR/AS CFRC too. Took me several weeks to get it straightened out myself -w-

Back on topic though, that water starter linked by Wither looks like a Ralts had a baby with a Kelpsy berry.

sun-moon-fakes1.jpg

sun-moon-fakes2.jpg
sun-moon-fakes3.jpg

OHHOWL FOR 2016

These are confirmed fakes from Bobertbra on DeviantArt.
Everything posted in this topic so far has been confirmed fake :)

Cyndaquil isn't a rat and is instead an echidna.
Fennekin isn't a dog, but a fox.

Also, Snake was covered by Snivy.

I repeat: We already had Squirtle for a turtle yet we still got Turtwig.
Considering that that happened, I wouldn't put it past them to give us another snake line as starters (and considering they'd obviously have different themes, typing, design inspiration, being based on different species of snakes etc), I wouldn't really mind it if they did.

Lol, this comment basically says:

"Foxes and Dogs are different species in the family Canidae! But, you know all 3000 species in the sub-roder Sperentes (snakes) are basically the same!"

Besides, you know, Snivy has more in common with Legless Lizards, if you ask me.

I repeat: We already had Squirtle for a turtle yet we still got Turtwig.

One is a turtle, the other a tortoise. One lives in water and the other one in ground. Turtles was also repeated in a more straightforward way with tirtouga and carracosta, which are a particular species of ancient giant turtle.
Snivy illustrates the evolution of snakes, from long lizards to snakes, and serperior is a python. Which is a species of snake. Different from Onix (generic but unimportant), Ekans and Arbok (rattlesnake and cobra), Seviper (viper) and Zygarde (Jormungandr/Niddhögr).

That doesn't mean we won't get repeated suborders or families, but we won't get the same species again.
And I very much doubt it will happen for the starters. Don't forget those receive the most care of all the pokemon; they wouldn't go "oh, yes, according to this handy chart, we need a dog now, and a rat; make it happen".

One is a turtle, the other a tortoise. One lives in water and the other one in ground. Turtles was also repeated in a more straightforward way with tirtouga and carracosta, which are a particular species of ancient giant turtle.
Snivy illustrates the evolution of snakes, from long lizards to snakes, and serperior is a python. Which is a species of snake. Different from Onix (generic but unimportant), Ekans and Arbok (rattlesnake and cobra), Seviper (viper) and Zygarde (Jormungandr/Niddhögr).

If you wanna get technical, the Turtwig line seems to be based more on snapping turtles as opposed to tortoises.
But the point still stands, they can still take a similar real life animal and make them end up having substantial differences to ensure they're not too similar.

I'm not really holding out hope for a snake starter (I'd personally like to see what they'd do with it, but I'm not too hung up if they don't do one), so I don't mind what we see.

Back