Sun & Moon Starter Pokemon

How bout Fire/Fighting o_O

NO!

*Deep breath*

I know it's meant to be a joke, but I'm done with that type combo for the Fire Starters. Blaziken is awesome. Infernape is good. Emboar is alright, but the mon is pushing it for how much we can tolerate seeing the same combo over and over again.

I've been flabbergasted for several generations now that people think GF would limit themselves to a selection of 12 animals from the chinese zodiac for no good reason.

Caling Fennekin a dog is kind of a stretch but I'd really love a Fire Snake starter! :D

I'd say the real glaring issue is Cyndaquil as the "rat". But the point is legit, because if they did really go by the zodiac, you'd think they'd have picked a clear simple dog-based design, rather than one that every person would call a fox first and only after that perhaps add that it's actually a canine if you look at the bigger grouping...

It's more likely that:
-Gamefreak picks obvious and distinct animals for the fire starter
-the 12 creatures in the chinese zodiac are obvious and distinct animals
geee who'd have thought they'd end up with sort of similar results?

In other words, it's not one influencing the other, but the thought-process of both is similar, producing similar results. (It's the same as the whole Dragon eeveelution coz special types "logic". People think eeveelutions were based on special types, when it's just that the types that were more elemental/colorful/energetic were more suitable for the special category, as well as for eeveelutions, rather than eeveelutions themselves being picked based on if the type was special /facepalm)

Also, the fact that there is no equivalent of this "theory" for Grass or Water starters alone, is enough of a flaw that this is not what they're doing.

But the annoying thing is, people will continue saying that they are based on the chinese zodiac anyway. And if in gen8 or something, they make it a Kangaroo, people will go "oh wow they broke the pattern, why??", instead of figuring out there was no pattern in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that even if that theory was true (and it certainly isn't), my fire starter fakemon is a horse. No problems there.

I hope we get the kalos starters again, though, and we just get an expanded kalos pokedex with 69 new pokemon. Sadly, Magearna seems to disprove that notion; just when I was warming up to Delphox, they have to toss a new batch of starters for me to get my hopes up, and be disappointed by their last forms.

The "patterns" seem unlikely, but I would appreciate a Grass/Flying starter. High Spe and good Atk would make it pretty unique.

Let me see if there's a pattern in terms of build:

Blastoise - Slow, good mixed bulk, average mixed offenses
Feraligatr - Slow, good defensive bulk, good attack
Swampert - Slow, great mixed bulk, good attack
Empoleon - Slow, good special bulk, good special
Samurott - Slow, good HP but bad defenses, good mixed offenses
Greninja - Fast, bad defenses, good mixed offenses

Greninja broke the slow trend, which means there really is no pattern. Another fast Water starter would be nice--one with more focused offense (preferably Atk) and better defenses than Greninja.

Venusaur - Slow, good bulk w/ focus on special, good special
Meganium - Slow, good defenses, average mixed offenses
Sceptile - Fast, low defenses, good special
Torterra - Slow, good defense, good atk
Serperior - Fast, good defenses, average offenses
Chesnaught - Slow, great defense, good atk

No pattern at all here, but, like I said before, a high spe and atk Grass Poke would be nice.

Charizard - Fast, average defenses, good special
Typhlosion - Fast, average defenses, good special
Blaziken - Slow, bad defenses, great mixed offense
Infernape - Fast, bad defenses, good mixed offense
Emboar - Really slow, good HP but bad defenses, great atk and good special
Delphox - Fast, ostensibly good special defense, good special

Again, no pattern. Another slow one would be OK, and it'd balance out the fast Grass and Water pokes I mentioned before. Maybe it'd be nice to have a Fire type focused on defenses with minimal focus on offense.

Here would be my choices for these:
  • Grass Bird (Final evolution: Grass/Flying) - high Spe, average SpD but low Def and HP, great Atk, average SpA
  • Fire Sheep (Final evolution: Fire/Steel) - low Spe, great Def and SpD, nonexistent Atk, average-low SpA
  • Water Seal (Final evolution: Water) - high-good Spe, decent mixed defenses, good Atk and average SpA
The fire sheep could even have a hidden ability called Steel Wool haha. We had a seal in gen 1 and in gen 3; it's been long enough that they can make another, I guess, especially if it's not half Ice. Anyway, those are my hopes!

If SM really turn out to be a hybrid of BW2-like sequels and Johto-like sequels, meaning that they'd simultaneously be a continuation/expansion of Kalos, while at the same time being a new generation... I'd find it interesting if they picked a second set of "starter-types" exclusively for this kind of generation (not replacing the traditional starter types).
We'd have the standard Grass/Fire/Water for the "main generations" and a different set of types (or varying altogether) for when there is a shorter "sequel generation" after a shorter completely new generation (like XY).

Since the designs of starters are given more than twice as much care/thought/development to make them as appealing as possible (regardless of whether they've suceeded or not, the point is this special intention and investment, which is only shared with mascot legendaries and perhaps a handful of special Pokémon), it would be very exciting to see that "luxury" extended to some other types once in a while. A guaranteed well-designed 3-stage for, say the Ice type would be terrific.

I mean, Grass/Fire/Water have all had at least 6x carefully made 3-stage designs each, whereas something just as colorful and elemental like Electric has Mareep and Shinx as the closest to that kind of evolutionary-line.

And before someone comes with the facts about how there aren't any neat obvious trios besides some dull case like Rock/Flying/Fighting, I wanna say "throw those thoughts out the window for this untraditional idea". The players new to the series can get accustomed to the type chart basics in the main-generations, or they simple get the type advantages demonstrated with some other gifted Pokemon early on, with the perfect and obvious candidates being the elemental monkeys from genV. Let the sequels do whatever they want with the starter types for a refreshing change every once in a while, eh?

So, if they chose a second set of starter-types, where weakness-cycle was completely irrelevant, and what mattered is that their potential to be contrasting/distinct and "colorful" enough as a group, what 3 types would you want them to pick?

My first pick would be ???/Electric/Ice.
-Electric is THE perfect Fire-counterpart in this scenario, being the other bright energetic type in the type-chart.
-Ice gets the spot already just on the basis of the attention it gets being far below its potential as such a basic elemental concept (and a contrast to Water, which is the most common type altogether)
-and the replacement for Grass, I would go with something that's associated with purple or pink, simply to make this set roughly cover the yellow-magenta-cyan trio of basic colours. It could be Psychic (although we do have a handful of 3 stage Psychics by now, we don't really have cliche-colored 3-stage Psy lines yet, since they all had some other colour palette, like yellow with Abra, white/green for Ralts, black/white for Gothita...), or perhaps Poison (Nidorans come to mind as starter-like)
alt starters.png

Another set I could see as an "advanced starter type"-trio, would be 3 types that are different approaches/strategies to battling.
This could be the good old fan-idea of Fighting/Psychic/Dark for example, but I'd personally switch out Psy for Poison, as that fits the other 2 better conceptually as a gritty type rather than a supernatural power in the mix.
strategy starters.png

And since traditional starters are naturally more appealing pet-like and basic/"cool" animal based designs, a second starter set could be all about them being primarily some "creature" type. Any 3 out of Bug/Rock/Ghost/Fairy/Dragon.
species starters.png

(Ignore the actual Pokémon I've picked for the pictures, or rather instead imagine those being Pokemon with similar basis, that have fully designed 2 higher stages, as the traditional starters do.)

I'm not even getting my hopes up, but it's just something I'd fine really cool if they did do it. (either we're not getting new starters at all in gen7, which would be interesting on its own, or the more realistic possibility, we will simply get a new traditional set of starters for gen7, no matter how much it might scream gen6.5 or Kalos+ etc. simply because people care about starters like 2000% more than they do about other new pokemon)

EDIT:
I've made a better written blogpost out of this post in case anyones interested in reading it a bit more nicely written: pokehype.blogspot.com/2016/03/radical-speculation-alternate-starter.html

Last edited:
Doubt it's real, everyone and their moms claim to work at Game Freak.
Then again, what happened with gen 5 (People thought the real evolutionary lines of the starters that were leaked to be fake because of the source. But they did end up real in the end)

Ok seeing the other leaked starters by this person, I am starting to believe it could be real
c6059129467948ed144ae07923a7d1217c1605b3.jpg

Doubt it's real, everyone and their moms claim to work at Game Freak.
Then again, what happened with gen 5 (People thought the real evolutionary lines of the starters that were leaked to be fake because of the source. But they did end up real in the end)

Ok seeing the other leaked starters by this person, I am starting to believe it could be real
c6059129467948ed144ae07923a7d1217c1605b3.jpg

that Fire starter was literally exposed as being a Fakemon on the next post... That alone is probably an indicator that this 'leaker' isn't reliable.
(the water starter is pretty cute though I wouldn't mind it being the real one)

Obviously, it's hard to believe its real, I mean if someone at GF or involved with Pokemon leaked this kind of stuff it would likely cost them their job. Then again, Pokemon get leaked all the time - sometimes I almost think it's on purpose in order build up hype - fancy pants official reveals rarely compare to the feeling of finding out something before you're meant to and I actually think GF like the way this creates an elusive-aura around everything.

It is some convincing artwork but, then again, one look at deviant art and you can see page after page of 'real-looking' Pokemon.

I have a really strong feeling that one of the starters will be a bird this time around - most likely the grass starter - so if this actually turns out to be real I'll be both disappointed and happy. Disappointed because it's not a grass type but delighted that it's actually a really neat looking design. Bird Pokemon are perhaps my favourite looking of the bunch - Pidgeot, Braviary, Fearow, Talonflame - I mean they all just look cool so I'm not complaining.

EDIT: Found this video about it

Last edited:
There's no way that's official art. It looks too much like Fakemon art--it's obviously well done, but there's something off about it. The pose seems unlikely, too. I think we're probably going to get the starters soon. Last time we got the starters immediately in the first trailer, so I hope we'll see the new ones in the CoroCoro leaks around the 12th followed by an official trailer released around the 16th.

that Fire starter was literally exposed as being a Fakemon on the next post... That alone is probably an indicator that this 'leaker' isn't reliable.
(the water starter is pretty cute though I wouldn't mind it being the real one)

Found the deviant artist for the fire (So basically confirmed fake)

The person who posted the supposed Fire starter is not the same as the OP. The supposed Water starter hasn't been found anywhere yet. Not that I believe its real, but most probably the OP himself draw it. The coloring style is more 3rd and 4th gen Sugimori than current.

I found this video online, don't know if it's real though...
Certainly looks like the Woodpecker Pokemon, but it seems too good to be true.

I found this video online, don't know if it's real though...
Certainly looks like the Woodpecker Pokemon, but it seems too good to be true.

Its very likely a fake report. Seeing as this is a new gen most likely, it doesn't even list anything that hints to be Starter Pokémon, which is like the cornerstone of every gen so far.

Its very likely a fake report. Seeing as this is a new gen most likely, it doesn't even list anything that hints to be Starter Pokémon, which is like the cornerstone of every gen so far.
That list is horribly faked, the mascots don't even have anything to do with Sun or Moon.

Back