Sun & Moon Starter Pokemon

Well... they already have snivy for grass so i don't think that they will do that but it would be cool

Just realized that this year is the year of the monkey... but then chimchar

DIAMOND AND PEARL SINNOH REMAKE CONFIRMED!!

but actually this might mean something so does anyone want to look really deep into this?

Helpy Stuff: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Sinnoh
I agree because:
Quantum may relate to quantum theory and singularity may relate to black holes, which are related to the space time continuum and as Dialga and Palkia are control space and time, this may be a continuation (sorry for the wordiness/nerdiness, I am just too interested in that stuff).

How do the starters not follow the trends?

I'll start with my earlier post about the Fire starters and the Chinese Zodiac.

As the following post is largely off-topic, I have condensed it into spoiler form for those not that interested in what I have to say on this topic.

To make the comparison of Fennekin to the dog zodiac is completely ignoring the meaning of the dog zodiac. Even though both foxes and dogs are canines, they represent completely different things in Chinese lore. In both Japanese and Chinese folklore, foxes are tricksters, while the dog is noble and stoic.

Not to mention how much of a stretch it is to compare the Cyndaquil line to the mouse zodiac. Since the 2nd generation it has been clear that there was no attempt at following a theme and the Chinese zodiac certainly isn't it.

Chimchar and Emboar are only loosely based as well, the real inspiration comes from the Chinese epic - Journey to the West. With Infernape being Sun Wukong and Emboar being Zhu Bajie.

I just wish this theory would die off, it makes no sense.

I'll continue with the Water starters, with the trend being that they are all amphibious, meaning that they are able to live on land or in the water. This is less of a trend but more of a 'duh. The point of the starter Pokemon is to be the first Pokemon to be handed to a beginner trainer, having a water-type Pokemon not be able to work well above the water defeats the purpose, such as having a fish or something else that doesn't have legs. So does that make it a trend? Sure, in the sense that there is a trend that all starter Pokemon have legs, or that all Grass starters incorporate some variation of the color green. Beyond the vagueness that is "amphibious" there is no other relation between a turtle, a crocodile/alligator, a mudpuppy or axolotl, a penguin, an otter, and a frog.

The grass trend stated earlier is equally as vague, but even with its vagueness, still fails to incorporate all of the grass starters in a neat little package. With Bulbasaur, the first grass starter having features that resemble both a Dicynodont on one hand, and the common toad on another, doesn't really hit home the start of the "Evolution of Life" trend. Just going through geologic time and the fossil record. The Dicynodont is Permian in age which is the oldest of the bunch so that checks out, however Turtwig the turtle has fossils as early as the Triassic, which precedes the earliest known fossils of geckos (Treecko) and sauropods (Chikorita) which are most common during the Jurassic. Snivy, as a snake with legs goes back to the Jurassic period in the fossil record, and finally Chespin the odd one out of the previous "known" trend of them being all reptiles or reptile-like, sits as a hedgehog, with origins only to the Eocene epoch, 50 My after the Cretaceous. So what does this all tell me? That there isn't a specific order of ages of these creatures, nor a natural progression of evolution.

I could go on, but I think I'm made my point here, trends like these and other similar fan-made trends for various other aspects of Pokemon hold very little water when The Pokemon Company seems more interested in their own agenda and with the Pokemon we have, that agenda is largely random, or rooted in other, more obvious inspirations that don't carry themselves between Pokemon generations.

Back on topic, I guess having a Water type Bat would be neat to see, or a Fire type buffalo.

Last thing I'll add about the starter trends to wrap it up. Cyndaquil and Fennekin do count as mouse and dog, as hedgehogs can easily be mistaken for rodents, especially since they resemble porcupines, which are rodents. Foxes, on the other hand, are a canine, just like the dog, and happen to have much in common with domestic dogs and wild wolves. Also, the first letter thing i just did was unintentional. As for the grass-type starters, it's not just when the creature came to be, but also when they died off and when they lived.

But, yeah, for starters I want to see... I want a butterfly starter (at least one insect starter at some point), and at least one starter that can't walk around. Maybe hop, float, fly, or something.

Last thing I'll add about the starter trends to wrap it up. Cyndaquil and Fennekin do count as mouse and dog, as hedgehogs can easily be mistaken for rodents, especially since they resemble porcupines, which are rodents. Foxes, on the other hand, are a canine, just like the dog, and happen to have much in common with domestic dogs and wild wolves. Also, the first letter thing i just did was unintentional. As for the grass-type starters, it's not just when the creature came to be, but also when they died off and when they lived.

That's some pretty sketchy reasoning going on with Cyndaquil. And anyways, if it was true, we pretty much lose any rodent connection with Quilava and Typhlosion (Quilava looks like it's based on weasels/stoats more than anything, and Typhlosion looks like a honey badger). It's a very loose connection to begin with, and then we pretty much lose it once it becomes Quilava, and you'd think that if they were representing the rat zodiac then surely they'd at least make that a) obvious to begin rather than saying "Cyndaquil might have design origins from a hedgehog = hedgehog looks similar to porcupine = porcupine are rodents = Cyndaquil is a rat" and b) keep the symbolism throughout the evolutionary family.

I've seen the fox = canine = dog argument many times for Fennekin. Foxes and dogs are different species. But anyway, if they were really going by the Zodiac as Fire starters, then you'd think they'd pick a clear dog based design, as opposed to an entirely different species which only becomes clear when you point out the bigger grouping.

Last edited:
As for the grass-type starters, it's not just when the creature came to be, but also when they died off and when they lived.

But snakes, legless lizards, turtles and raptors (Groyle) did not die off before "early mammals" (which you claim Chespin is) appeared....

The more reaching you have to do to validate a theory, the more likely it is to be wrong.

But snakes, legless lizards, turtles and raptors (Groyle) did not die off before "early mammals" (which you claim Chespin is) appeared....

The more reaching you have to do to validate a theory, the more likely it is to be wrong.
No, they didn't, but I didn't say it's just for when they died or appeared, it's also when they lived, and those small mammals took over after the mass extinction is all I was saying.

Now, if you people don't mind, I'm going to stop replying to your arguments about whether or not this or that so the thread doesn't completely derail.

TBF, this discussion isn't really derailing a thread. The topic's kinda narrow so without this debate the thread will probably die. :x

But yeah, I'd recommend you read the rest of the thread @Chocolate Death. There have been plenty of posts about these starter trends in here; I've actually made one or two myself.

Honestly I think that more than anything else I want a Water-Type that actually lives in water this time around, or at least predominantly does so. Something like a seal or, of course, a fish would be refreshing. The starters are the icons of the Water-Type, and not having a starter to represent all of the Pokémon who are usually tied to the water to move around sours me a bit.

I also want some of the more obscure types to be represented by starters. The fact that we've never had a Water- and Ice-Type Water-Type starter is just plain weird considering how many of them there are. No Ghost-Type starter is also a shame, as the Ghost-Type is very much a fan favourite. The lack of the "epic" typings like Dragon-, Rock- and Poison-Type starter Pokémon, besides Bulbasaur, is also fairly disappointing. And I don't want another Ground-Type starter, because while having a good use for the Earthquake TM is neat and it does make the player feel powerful, it also seems a lot cheaper than the other 3 "epic" types I mentioned.

A fire snake starter would be so cool! A fire ox would be pretty awesome as well.

The fire snake would be a really good special attacker with moves like flamethrower. Also all the snakes in Pokemon are some kind of poison type so it would be cool it there was a fire one or maybe even a water or grass snake.

It could start out a little baby snake and evolve into some big dragon snake.

A fire snake starter would be so cool! A fire ox would be pretty awesome as well.

The fire snake would be a really good special attacker with moves like flamethrower. Also all the snakes in Pokemon are some kind of poison type so it would be cool it there was a fire one or maybe even a water or grass snake.

It could start out a little baby snake and evolve into some big dragon snake.

We've had a lot more than just Poison snakes. Onix, Steelix, Serperior, Milotic, and arguably Dragonair, Zygarde 50%, Rayquaza and Dunsparce are all serpentine/snake like Pokemon which aren't Poison at all. (Serperior and Milotic being water and grass snakes which you mentioned it would be cool to see)

Although having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a fire snake as a starter, although I really hope they'd go somewhere with it's design that doesn't make it just look like a Fire version of Serperior.

Back