'Shocking Volt Tackle,' Japan's September Set!

ht14

Substitute Trainer
Question: if Abilities are disabled (say, by an opposing Galarian Weezing), does that mean Shedinja could be played for free without needing Ninjask then?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Translation changes:

-Chewtle: Dark Clamp > Jaw Lock, which was an old TCG attack that was recently made into a move for Sword/Shield.

-Mudsdale: Heavy Bomber > Heavy Slam, a move it learns in the video games.

-Excadrill: Drill Liner > Drill Run, a move it learns in the video games. It seems that this version discards an energy like the other versions, but does this version on this particular Excadrill need a coin flip?

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
Question: if Abilities are disabled (say, by an opposing Galarian Weezing), does that mean Shedinja could be played for free without needing Ninjask then?
No. Galarian Weezing blocks Abilities in play. Shedinja in the hand is not in play.

Emerfirek

Aspiring Trainer
Ooh, so Woobat will be the new Granbull/Infernity-type deck. And then you can protect it a bit by evolving it, and just use Memory Capsule.

Unfort, the Whismur doesn't have Round, and no other basics outside of that line means we'll have to wait for another future set for more Round support before the deck becomes playable.

Also unfort, there is only one Eevee for all the Memory Capsule Eeveelutions, and it isn't interesting in the slightest.

On a positive note though, hooray for Flail Phanpy and EQ Donphan making their 2nd (or is it 3rd?) comeback since HGSS base and their intro in Aquapolis. It's only almost a direct upgrade to Donphan Prime, but w/ Stone [F], it will be.

The Fish

0.o
Elektross + Arctozolt here I come! This is a remarkably gen 5 heavy list and I love it. That Woobat is beautiful too.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Ooh, so Woobat will be the new Granbull/Infernity-type deck. And then you can protect it a bit by evolving it, and just use Memory Capsule.

Evolving up to 100HP is hardly much extra protection lol. The ability on Swoobat is somewhat nice, but on 100HP it isn't doing much. You're better off giving Woobat a Cape of Toughness than adding Swoobat & Memory Capsule.

Always nice to see a new Chimecho card.

Last edited:

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
My Vivid Voltage Partial Set List is up!
  • Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry - I love the fact that this Shiftry can turn any supporter into a Hop.... if you can set this up turn 2, you'll get the advantage. It can stop Welder but its still weak to Welder. Centiskorch with 2 energy on, can KO Shiftry. The Fiery Centipede is its weakness. 2/2/4
  • Nincada/Ninjask-Shedinja - a very nice gimmick but 3 energy on a 30 hp basic Shedinja makes me worry a lot. But auto-KO is a promise. 3/3,3-4
  • Skiddo/Gogoat - ehh??! 2/2
  • Orbeetle V/VMAX - love that you can spread dmg. 3/3-4
  • Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - big dmg like that always has been. 160 for 2 is good in the early game. Always took advantage of Leon's effect. 3/2/3-4
  • Eevee/ Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon - it might be not good in the future, but if there's a G, W, and R Pokémon that has a good ability, these will be the counter.3/3,3,3
  • Slugma/Magcargo - ehh to the 10th. 1/1
  • Talonflame V - able to play 2 Dedennes in the first turn. 4
  • Wailmer/Wailord - Wailord is a big boi. 3/3
  • Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott - where is Serperior? 2/2/2-3
  • G. Darm V/Vmax - gets instant OHKO on Centiskorch. The Vmax is heavy on Frosmoth. Ouch! You can't even OHKO Zacian at that point, which you're weak at. 3-4/3-4
  • Chewtle/Drednaw - straight up bad. 2/2-3
  • Cramorant - t1 donk! 3-4
  • Arrokuda/Barraskewda - preys on dmg, ammo on Cramorant. 4/4
  • Pikachu V/Vmax - able to KO Tag Teams. 2-3/4
  • Voltorb/Electrode - its not just for L decks as energy accel, it is also a replacement for Mismagius. 2/4
  • Zapdos - single-prized Cramorant for L decks. 4
  • Blitzle/Zebstrika - ehh!! 1/1
  • Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross - too awkward, sorry. 4/3/3-4
  • Alakazam V - First in 4 years, still not good regarding the fact that P hits nothing for weakness now. 3-4
  • Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir - turning every Special Energy into Plasma Energy is silly. Same reality on Stage 2s tho. 2-3/3/4
  • Chimecho - good on searching cards. 3
  • Woobat/Swoobat - try harder, kid. 3/2-3
  • Cottonee/Whimsicott - single energy, efficient dmg, we need more. 3/3-4
  • Milcery/Alcremie - is this the unique ability. 3/3-4
  • Machop/Machoke/Machamp - are you sure this will be on Champion's Path?
  • Phanpy/Donphan - 120 for 1 kinda reminisce us on Donphan Prime. But with Memory Capsule, 420 dmg for 2 energy is massive. 4/4-5
  • Hitmontop - still eh. 3
  • Drillbur/Excadrill - weak energy denial. 2/2
  • Terrakion - bulky boi. 3
  • Mudbray/Mudsdale - ehh to the 9th. 1/2
  • Clobbopus/Grapploct - I SMELL CHEESE!! 2/3
  • Poochyena/Mightyena - why do we about this one? 2/3
  • Sableye - ehh?! 2
  • Drapion V - worst V we have so far, I might be wrong. But this is the worst. 2 Geodudes
  • Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile - "Sandile is trying very hard." - Boulay, 2020. 1/2/2-3
  • Trubbish/Garbodor - best Trubbish and good Garbodor to use. 3/4
  • Galarian Meowth/Perrserker - hit harder. 2/3
  • Ferroseed/Ferrothorn - gosh so many pointless cards in this set. 2/2
  • Aegislash V/Vmax - Good finisher in M decks. 2-3/3-4
  • Duraludon - fine. 3
  • Snorlax -good for t1 option. 4
  • Taillow/Swellow - another one of those pointless stuff. 2/3
  • Whismur/Loudred/Exploud - haha Whismur no Round go cry.2/3/3
  • Rotom Drone - Good for receiving info from your opponent. 3-4
  • Longview Scope - Cramorant KO Crobat. 4
  • Memory Capsule -okay. 3-4
  • Bea - best F energy accel we got. 4-5
  • Nessa - recover W stuff. 4
  • Leon - 1-of in most decks that needs more dmg. 5
  • League Staff - its rare to draw 4 these days. 3
  • Hero's Bath - Zacian ADP go buff. 5
  • Wyndon Stadium -good for VMAXs. 3-4
  • Wash W energy - situational. 3-4
  • Coating M enrrgy - makes Zacian decks not playing Bronzong anymore, if there is. 4

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
So they don’t make awesome full arts anymore. I miss xy.
They do! But in Japan, full art cards are secret rare cards. We'll see them over the course of this next week as people in Japan start to get their hand on the cards from the set.

Emerfirek

Aspiring Trainer
Evolving up to 100HP is hardly much extra protection lol. The ability on Swoobat is somewhat nice, but on 100HP it isn't doing much. You're better off giving Woobat a Cape of Toughness than adding Swoobat & Memory Capsule.

Always nice to see a new Chimecho card.

Lol, na, even w/ Cape and Bath, a base 60 HP mon will still get ohko'd by just about every relevant attack in standard. They may only make a difference against Blaziken and some single prize [F] decks b/c of the [F] resistance. I really was just thinking about the Unaware ability as the "bit" of protection, lol. Interestingly, it's the exact same effect as Wash [W] Energy, and I know a lot of ppl were super unhyped for that one, so you may still be right about Swoobat not seeing as much play as just unevolving Woobat. Woobat can also use that toy telescope thing, which will prob be everyone's first choice for it. It also might be played alongside sth like Sableye V or Barraskewda, so its evolution might just tighten the deck space unnecessarily.

I also got a favorable impression of Chimecho before I remembered how Alolan Vulpix could search 2 mons for free. We were spoiled by that card, lol. On the plus side though, it can search for Marnie if you want to discourage opposing search attacks.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
No. Galarian Weezing blocks Abilities in play. Shedinja in the hand is not in play.
Garbotoxin (and silent lab) should work
garb + d valley + dce/twin + laser?
rebel clash garb could also work

Last edited:

Wolfgirl90

Professor Luna
I hear everyone complaining about more basic support when one: heros bath aint that good and two: numbers and speed are really the problem. Look at metagross and gardevoir in early sm. You need a slower format and/or ACTUALLY good evolutions to make them good. That's why cards like VMAXs, evolution cards, are starting to be good. They have big number.

They can hit for big numbers, but I think people are also thinking about the implications involved with the most pervasive deck in the format right now: ADP Zacian.

ADP Zacian is an annoying deck in its own right (I should know; I play the darn thing) and Hero's Bath is now another tool in its arsenal. The deck already plays Big Charm, so along with that stadium, ADP would effectively have 330 HP, putting it outside of 2HKO range for most single prize Pokemon and outside of OHKO range for Eternatus VMAX and a Zigzagoon.