'World Down' and 'Legendary Heartbeat,' Japan's Summer Sets Introducing Amazing Rares!

Some translation updates (to be edited as the article is updated:

Rhyperior: Drill Liner > Drill Run, one of its level up moves in the games

My first crack at notable features:

• Hide Darkness Energy: free retreat for Darkness pokemon
  • Salamence: 30 spread
  • Rhyperior: Discard an energy w/ first attack (?), second attack can't be used twice in a row
  • Ariadios: When you evolve, bring up a stage 1(?) pokemon from your opponent's bench
  • Crobat: Just has Setup lol (once per turn)
  • Hoopa: Can't use this attack unless you brought this Pokemon from your bench to your active spot, don't apply weakness
  • Scrafty: If you played Pierre, you do 90 more damage
  • Pierre: Search your deck for a Darkness Pokemon and basic Darkness Energy
  • Rose: attach two basic energy from your discard to one of your VMAX pokemon, then discard your hand lul
  • Rose Tower: Instruct + Tropical Beach
  • Scizor: discard a tool or special energy (!) from your opponent's poke
  • Eternatus: Attach a Darkness energy from your hand to one of your Darkness Pokemon, double energy if your opponents Pokemon is VMAX
  • Eternatus VMAX: Sky Field if you only have Darkness Pokemon in play (I think, could be "if you have any" but I don't think so"
Looks way better than Eruption Walker already

Another translation update:

Eternatus: Dymax Cannon > Dynamax Cannon, its signature move in the video games.

Surprised Crobat isn't weak to Lightning given that usually they have dual flying types being weak to lightning like Yveltal.

That's a really good thing they didn't keep the Galar Pokedex. No need to follow stupid patterns in the games they are based on. Most of the artworks look very good. Shame for Scizor though, that thing looks awkward with its arms spread like that.

That's a really good thing they didn't keep the Galar Pokedex. No need to follow stupid patterns in the games they are based on. Most of the artworks look very good. Shame for Scizor though, that thing looks awkward with its arms spread like that.

... they haven't followed the galar dex since SWSH base set.

You probably didn't pay attention, because you would have seen Victini, Celebi, Regirock and other mons that weren't announced for any DLC or content for the Galar region back in november 2019-february 2020.

Galarian Cursola V could be a great early/maybe mid-game set up for Dragapult V and baby Dragapult.

I'm happy to see darkness getting some love but tbh I'm somewhat disappointed with Eternatus Vmax. I was expecting something far more punishing.
Still waiting on an early game darkness attacker to to soften up the opponent for a late game Malamar Vmax sweep.

... they haven't followed the galar dex since SWSH base set.
They did. Legendary Pokemon were technically in the game files. And for Japan (where the set consistency matters, we're getting soups of cards), these Pokemon weren't even in boosters.

As for cards:
Ariados - wish we had that instead of Boss Orders. It's a really cool limitation in concept and would work in a slower environment.
Crobat V - not a fan of these types of cards, putting artificial price tags on decks. At least it's somewhat worse then Dedenne and you can't stack them.
Rose - he's hilarious when compared to Welder. I am thankful they aren't actually printing a new Welder, but being limited to only VMAX and discarding your hand is just too much. If he searched them up from the deck, then maybe.

They did. Legendary Pokemon were technically in the game files. And for Japan (where the set consistency matters, we're getting soups of cards), these Pokemon weren't even in boosters.

Product tags don't matter for the international market, which is the most important one for the game. They still choose to print Keldeo, Victini and Regirock - which at that point weren't confirmed to be part of any DLC, just in the game code. Printing only Galar mons in the base set is standard practice at this point - they printed only mons found in Alola for the Sun&Moon base set.

As for the cards, we can wait

4-5 additional dark pokemon lines
2 special energies
1 more new supporter?
And some new items, along with some probable reprints, as I doubt we are getting 16-17 new trainerd in this set. Rescue Stretcher reprint, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Product tags don't matter for the international market, which is the most important one for the game.
The TPCi sure doesn't act like the international market is "the most important one". Legendary starters were separate products in Japan and that's how they were designed to be.
Printing only Galar mons in the base set is standard practice at this point - they printed only mons found in Alola for the Sun&Moon base set.
Fine, it still means SWSH base set had only Galar mons. And with dexit, people were rightfully concerned that they might stick to it.

I understand the 'Raid' style of thematic for Eternatus Vmax's attack but did anyone else hope for an attack that puts far more pressure on the opponent?

edit: pardon the 'pressure' pun.

Stop making Ultra Rare cards that have a (this Pokemon takes 30 less damage from attacks) ability and a mediocre move! There's been like 12 of them since Sun and Moon!

Surprised Crobat isn't weak to Lightning given that usually they have dual flying types being weak to lightning like Yveltal.

Paired with the fact that, for as long as I can remember, Crobat has ALWAYS had a Fighting resistance due to it being a flying type and now it's Crobat's weakness.
The type advantages sure have taken a turn since SwSh base for obvious balancing reasons but this is one that's perplexed me.

Paired with the fact that, for as long as I can remember, Crobat has ALWAYS had a Fighting resistance due to it being a flying type and now it's Crobat's weakness.
The type advantages sure have taken a turn since SwSh base for obvious balancing reasons but this is one that's perplexed me.

This one at least has the excuse of being hit super effectively by Rock. No TCG weakness will ever be as baffling as Lightning-weak Seismitoad in Rebel Clash. But yeah, it seems like the current card-making team doesn't give a damn about properly translating the mon's weaknesses/resistances.

Back