'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

dbgoldberg323

TCG Professor, League Owner
Sophocles did basically the same thing and it saw zero play so no, Milo is not good, especially now that the "discard hand draw 7" card is also back. The only difference between Sophocles and Milo is that Milo lets you discard only 1 and then draw 2 which is a very underwhelming effect. (With Sophocles you always had to discard 2 and draw 4.)
I didn't say it was good in general, I said it's not pointless and powerful in specific decks. The meta is different now or will be different here shortly, not to mention it's constantly changing. Also I'm pretty sure Sophocles saw play in specific decks, just maybe not the ones that topped worlds, etc. Sure Milo might not be the best supporter in the format but again it will have its uses. Considering Silvally GX is making a comeback (with all the discard that's coming) and that cards like Coach Trainer DO in fact see play, yeah, it's likely this will be used here and there again for specific reasons; it won't go in every deck like Clay doesn't go in every deck (but it sees play now in Zacian V/ADP after not seeing play at all).

Last edited:

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Vika gives hope for the battery bug.

Also twin energy is amazing (plus vespi gets 8 dce in exp. now)

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I'm curious about the wording of the twin energy card. It says it only provides 1 energy to Pokémon GX and V, but makes no mention of VMax. Since we haven't heard if that is a different category I wonder if this can be used for full 2 on VMax, or if it will still only produce 1 since the Pokémon does have V in the name.

Last edited:

dbgoldberg323

TCG Professor, League Owner
I'm curious about the wording of the twin energy card. It says it only provides 1 energy to Pokémon GX and V, but makes not mention of VMax. Since we haven't heard if that is a different category I wonder if this can be used for full 2 on VMax, or if it will still only produce 1 since the Pokémon does have V in the name.
Ooh! That's a good point! I wonder if the day-1 FAQ will say V Max counts as V for cards that reference Pokémon V.

Clam

Almost decent
Hmmm training gym vs viridian forest i think Training Court is a bit better as the drawback is so minor although its harder for your opponent to use training gym depending on their deck I think its just better but viridian is still needed for very low energy decks.
OH HEY welcome back DCE thats nerfed I see what pokemon trying to and making non V/GX decks viable I like the idea but twin still seems powerful but i think its one of those cards i need to see in play to know how good they are
Vikavolt and Sirfetch’d I dont think Vikavolt has any place in the meta because of raichu witch can do the same thing but FAST.
Sirfecthed it looks fun I wanna make a deck around it but it looks like one of those cards that are gonna be just annoying so I dont think its gonna be amazing but I think it will see a little bit of play.
Sandaconda V looks OK i think it will see a bit of play in those stonjourner Vmax decks but other than that ehhh.
ALSO LOOK HOW SMUG SIRFETCHD IS

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think this is pointless. Being able to discard two specific cards you want in your discard pile to then also draw four can be powerful in the right deck. Put metal in the discard for future Metal Saucer-ing and draw 4, oh look a Metal Saucer. Or hey, you just thinned your hand so you can use Silvally GX's Disk Reload:)

Viridian Forest also lets you discard a card (again, sees a lot of use in decks that want specific things in the discard) and lets you pull out energy from the deck. Training Court only grabs stuff from the discard, so if it's not in there you're kinda SOL. It will indeed see play but I don't think it's better than Viridian Forest.

Sorry to pick on those points, just my two cents.
Actually, I was referring to Roller Skater not Milo (sometimes typo errors mess you so bad) but I get your point.

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.
Sophocles did basically the same thing and it saw zero play so no, Milo is not good, especially now that the "discard hand draw 7" card is also back. The only difference between Sophocles and Milo is that Milo lets you discard only 1 and then draw 2 which is a very underwhelming effect. (With Sophocles you always had to discard 2 and draw 4.)
sophocles did see play in blowns for a solid month

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
  • Twin energy- Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! This card will help the balance between non-V/GX pokemon. We need to look at previous cards that lost out on DCE due to rotation.
  • Sandaconda V- Probably just a good start for when they announce Sandaconda VMAX. That first attack is a pretty good first turn attack before evolving up to Sandaconda VMAX, if that turns out to be pretty good.
  • Vikavolt- The numbers just aren't there compared to the Unbroken Bonds Vikavolt. And if you're trying to build up a lot of energy on the field just play Nuzzle Raichu
  • SirFetch'd- You're doing 180-240 damage. On a stage 1 non-2 prizer that's not bad. And it's easy to get powered up thanks to twin energy+Karate belt. I like it.
  • Milo- Why Hello my buff friend! You're basically putting roller skater out of commission lol and a somewhat "better" Sophocles. Sophocles saw some play but we have professor's research...so there's some competition
  • Training Court- Future specific decks might like this. Once Viridian forest rotates this will be an immediate replacement. ATM outclassed by other options

TheLaw95

Aspiring Trainer
So the scary thing to me about Twin Energy is that it doesn’t specify EX like how the previous Gen’s cards did. This could cause EXs to get really problematic in expanded, though the only one that comes to mind immediately is Seismetoad now having access to essentially up to 8 DCE. I don’t think you’d go to the max on that, but one of the biggest issues with the deck prior to now was finding the 4 DCE.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
So the scary thing to me about Twin Energy is that it doesn’t specify EX like how the previous Gen’s cards did. This could cause EXs to get really problematic in expanded, though the only one that comes to mind immediately is Seismetoad now having access to essentially up to 8 DCE. I don’t think you’d go to the max on that, but one of the biggest issues with the deck prior to now was finding the 4 DCE.

I wonder if they'll errata it to be overlapping DCE and not allow both in at the same time, like they did with Juniper/Sycamore/Research.

Nyora

A Cat
I wonder if they'll errata it to be overlapping DCE and not allow both in at the same time, like they did with Juniper/Sycamore/Research.
Most EXs are so bad now that it won’t matter too much. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that could really take advantage of this are Seismitoad-EX and M Rayquaza-EX, and even Twin Energy doesn’t help those too much. I doubt Twin Energy will cause DCE to get all errata, they’re both 2 separate effects unlike the discard draw 7 supporters.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I'm curious about the wording of the twin energy card. It says it only provides 1 energy to Pokémon GX and V, but makes no mention of VMax. Since we haven't heard if that is a different category I wonder if this can be used for full 2 on VMax, or if it will still only produce 1 since the Pokémon does have V in the name.
Why wouldn't VMax count as V? They evolve from Pokemon V.

Especially in the context of Twin Energy clearly trying to be balanced by giving the advantage to non-ultra rare type cards, that would be some colossal oversight IF VMax was categorized as being completely different than Pokemon V.

Mcsonic00

Less Filler Cards Please
Training Court is better than Viridian Forest in decks that want a lot of energy in hand to use throughout the game (like Frostmoth) because the energy is coming from your discard pile. You don't even need to discard a card to use the stadium!

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Twin Energy: "Hi! I'm your new special enregy!"
EX Pokemon: "Ok, let me get this straight..."

Though I would expect a similar rule to apply as was used with Juniper and Sycamore.

Number51x

Why wouldn't VMax count as V? They evolve from Pokemon V.

Especially in the context of Twin Energy clearly trying to be balanced by giving the advantage to non-ultra rare type cards, that would be some colossal oversight IF VMax was categorized as being completely different than Pokemon V.
Yeah, sort of (or exactly) like how something that applied to an EX also applied to a Mega EX.

Number51x

Most EXs are so bad now that it won’t matter too much. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that could really take advantage of this are Seismitoad-EX and M Rayquaza-EX, and even Twin Energy doesn’t help those too much. I doubt Twin Energy will cause DCE to get all errata, they’re both 2 separate effects unlike the discard draw 7 supporters.
Yeah I don't know. It basically gives you access to 8 DCE the same way Juniper/Sycamore gives you access to 8 discard-draw 7. That seems relevant.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
Milo is just a better Sophocles (which was Discard 2, Draw 4) and Sophocles did see a bit of play so Milo will probably see some too.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Milo is just a better Sophocles (which was Discard 2, Draw 4) and Sophocles did see a bit of play so Milo will probably see some too.

Maybe, though Sophocles existed in a non-Professor's Research world, which is far superior supporter in nearly all cases. I suspect it'll exist as a card for specific decks that need to discard just a card or two, maybe MewMewTwo type decks that want to get some specific cards in the discard and don't have a better way (Viridian, Mysterious Treasure, etc.) and not much else.