'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Water Pokémon Master, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Timmony_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Timmony_tcg

So long as the card has a "V" symbol in the top left corner of the card (which appear on both regular Pokemon V and VMAX), I believe that's meant to indicate that it falls under the umbrella term "Pokemon V"

snoopy369 likes this.

2. snoopy369 Aspiring Trainer
    snoopy369

Advanced Member Member

I'm sure we'll get a clarification for the next Pre-release about that (if not something sooner), but that seems correct to me as well.

3. Skeleton Liar サーナ~
    Skeleton Liar

That's exactly what I was thinking. Anything that targeted EX's included Megas too. But if something specifically wanted to target Megas, like Mega Turbo, it says so.

And honestly, it sounds like @Timmony_tcg has the best explanation! I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case.

4. The Binder Guy Aspiring Trainer
    The Binder Guy

I have to side with @Nyora here, the differences between DCE and Twin Energy are more cut-and-dry than Professor Juniper/Sycamore and Professor’s Research. I suspect part of the reason why PCL made that errata, along with how broken it looks on paper, is probably due to the very likely scenario of decking out due to heavy misuse by the causal crowd.

I also don’t think DCE and Twin Energy will receive an errata like that due to a similar situation happening during the early XY era: NXD’s Prism Energy and XY’s Rainbow Energy reprint were both legal for a time and while both had the same effect (providing one unit of ANY Energy type at a time) they had different limiting factors (Prism was restricted to Basics while Rainbow has its 1 damage counter placement requirement). Despite similarities and serious boosts they can give certain Pokemon neither card was banned and both remain legal in the Expanded format. I will admit there's a CHANCE for one but I’m not seeing it, neither Seismitoad or M Rayquaza-EX top tournaments these days and don’t think Twin Energy will really change that. One deck that COULD’VE benefited from Twin Energy is ZoroGarb but PCL seems to have noticed that thanks to Twin Energy’s ruling.

In the end, we’ll have to wait for the results of first SwSh-legal Expanded tournament to see if it changes the playing field.

Number51x likes this.
  5. AngryBokoblin Guzzlord is fun
    AngryBokoblin

6. Number51x Blasting off at the speed of light!
    Number51x

Well, with that kind of precedent then yeah, I can see how that would be. Thanks for the history lesson.

7. Wailord's Pokemon Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.
    Wailord's Pokemon

After some testing, I feel like twin energy is gonna be a really welcome addition to the game. Welder decks are already phasing out of the metagame, and the new supporter rule is a real hinderance to the card and the archetypes that surround it. Decks such as lost march will become playable again, and we may end up in a very well-split V/VMAX and 1-prize attacker meta.

8. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

I would be worried if Welder, which is still the best supporter in the format, is actually phased out - it would signify that we went even further with power creep. Sure, it can also be due to rise of water and anti-Welder decks, but a healthy format - which is something we don't have now - would still allow Welder to thrive.
    Don't know about 1-prize decks with ADP running around, outside of obvious gimmicks and counters. 2-prize decks are basically done, they're getting the worst of both worlds.

9. JustInBasil Aspiring Trainer
    JustInBasil

A Barbaracle was just revealed from VMAX Rising. Looks to be pretty decent with Twin Energy, Marnie, Reset Stamp, and Pidgeotto.

Barbaracle - Fighting - HP120
    Stage 1 - Evolves from Binacle

[F][C] Rock Hurl 50
    This attack's damage is not affected by resistance.

[F][C][C] Hand Press 80+
    If you have more cards in your hand than your opponent, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
    Resistance: none
    Retreat: 3

10. taigercub Aspiring Trainer
    taigercub

That looks really fun with Copycat and something like sawsbuck

11. Water Pokémon Master I like Pokemon more than you. :D
    Water Pokémon Master

Webmaster News Head Activities Head Elite Member Advanced Member Member

12. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

That's an interesting attack that's never going to see play, because it doesn't deal 300 damage.

13. Clam Almost decent
    Clam

im not too impressed
    Its kinda funny how this 160 damage was good when you could use things like choice band and the GX pokemon were weaker

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  14. The Rhyperior I am still Mr. Rhyperior
    The Rhyperior

• Barbaracle - nothing too insterested on that. Using Judge and Pidgeotto is good but it may lead some issues. 3 Geodudes

15. Wechselbalg *****
    Wechselbalg

Marnie already gives you 5 and your opponent 4.

16. fleshrum April in Kalos...
    fleshrum

Advanced Member Member

perfectly balanced, strong even, in a format without fat basics. Make it work for you at home, cause tpci is uninterested in making it work in the big leagues.

17. NicoNoo Meta/budget player
    NicoNoo

People outright miss the point with this card. It ain't mediocre because it hits for 160, it's mediocre because it's a stage 1 that requires hard-attachment of energies because to this day, fighting types have no good acceleration. I have built some usable decks that use stage 1s and the rare stage 2 pokemon, but they either require the use of triple acceleration energy or acceleration from welder and other engines.

18. GalaxyNinja45 Aspiring Trainer
    GalaxyNinja45

Good prerelease fodder I guess

19. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

The goal shouldn't be to allow every type to accelerate three energies in one turn and make energy management a complete joke. The goal should be to scale it back to the levels it was in Sun & Moon-onwards.

20. CrownAxe Aspiring Trainer
    CrownAxe

Why not? if every deck can play at that speed then what's the problem

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 1 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?