'Unbroken Bonds,' May's English SM10 Set!

Charizard/Reshiram is really good. You can take out Venusaur, PikaRom, GengarMims, BuzzMosa, Melmetal, etc. with a Choice Band while simultaneously being out of range for an OHKO from those other Tag Teams which is crazy (PikaRom needs to GX AND have 90 damage worth of modifiers.) You also apparently have a lot of energy acceleration options between Kiawe and Welder so this thing can be swinging 230 from T2 decently consistently. If Ho-Oh can work, and this card is basically Ho-Oh on steroids, I'm sure this card will see a lot of play.

Fire energy acceleration is back in standard, yay (?) I guess this is to balance out the all the metal support we're getting. (And you thought for a second that metal would actually get good, hah!) At any rate, both Volcanion and Welder are p. good.

WELDER
IS
BUSTED.
Seriously! 2 Fire energy attachement and a draw three without clunky support Pokémon clogging up deck space is meta-changing. Maybe not, but still.
Volcanion looks good, but if you cann’t pull it off, it’s next to nothing. Next to. Either way, the second attack looks good, too, if you need a backup attacker.
Fire Crystal just has to go 1upping Energy Retrieval.
Any Fire Pokémon has just become 3 uber-good cards better.
That’s all I have to say.

Also, let us not forget that Magcargo-GX, Victini {*} and Dragon Majesty Turtonator are all cards that exist - since all these pokemon interact with the discard pile instead of the lost zone, they might actually benefit more from these fire upgrades than Blacephalon, who already has Beast Ring and Naga anyway.

Magcargo-GX hits 250 for the same amount of energy as ReshiZard, and you can immediately replenish with Fire Crystal+Welder+Smooth Over+ability on Magcargo-GX. And since Magcargo discards energy, (as opposed to Ho-Oh and ReshiZard) it can also protect itself from stuff that preys on decks that like to have too much energy on the board.

And DM Turtonator+Naga could actually become a viable as a 1-prize version of Blacephalon.

Last edited:
Wow this tag team artwork looks so beautiful. In all honesty I think this will see more play than Pikachu and Zekrom tag team GX.

The new supporter Welder is a great alternative to blacksmith for the standard format. Cant wait to see the price for this beauty.

Fire energy acceleration is back in standard, yay (?) I guess this is to balance out the all the metal support we're getting. (And you thought for a second that metal would actually get good, hah!) At any rate, both Volcanion and Welder are p. good.
I was really hoping to get some good cards to help with consistency with metal types but nope just lot of unneeded defense cards :(

This will be nuts in expanded, Steam up volc, max elixir, and blacksmith. although welder is probably better, blacksmith will be good late game

Welder seems absolutely bonkers. I wonder what new decks it might enable. The Charizard Team Up already self-accelerates energy and unfortunately deals damage to itself, so it seems like it doesn't need it.

Um,
let me tell you a story.

One day at a tournament, you play against blacephalon.
You are feeling good, they don't get much down turn 1 and 2 and they seem bricked.
You KO their blace for 2 prizes. Then they play fiery flint, surge, welder, welder (lele says hi), beast ring, beast ring, beast ring (they draw 6 cards off welders) and get 10 energy into play, KOing whatever you killed their blace with and then having 6+ energy on the board for next turn.

You instantly scoop.
Very fun, interactive game.

Back