SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Mr. Mime feels like kind of a weird card - it was obviously designed to prevent the abuse of Acerola spam, but it gets hard-stopped by an opposing Alolan Muk (not that hard to tech with Ditto Prism Star)

At first I thought, "Well, Alolan Muk will rotate at the end of the season," but then it's like, "so does Acerola..."

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
Gotta say I'm a fan of Cynthia being in rotation for another two years! Not just for the effect but Cynthia is definitely my favorite human in the universe by far.

Wechselbalg

brb
Two very good stadiums and a reprint of Pokemon communication, which could be a pretty good replacement for Evosoda. Also, Brock's Grit might just be useful in this format.

Pokemon are mostly meh, with the exception of Aerodactyl which, again is something that could be played with Malamar. Starmie is also nice. Item lock is back, but it has a balanced condition (I guess...) so it should be alright. Mr. Mime is a nice anti-stall card, altough Max Potion still exists. The other good ones are the (low-key broken) Ninetales and Nidoqueen, but those have already been revealed.

Last edited:

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
To all of these people on about the trainer reprints (the non-holo ones) there is about a 98% we won't get them. We haven't for all of the sets so far, I doubt we would here.

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
Alolan Egg isn't as busted as he seems unless you use Lance and Ditto Prism Star. Otherwise, you need an Exeggcute to Evolve, you probably want a backup to promote for the next turn, and one could always be prized. Not worth investing in.

yea lol i realised this shortly after posting. it's ok then, i guess

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Please someone will make a Partial Set List of team Up. I need it
  • Venusaur x Celebi TTGX - Only the GX atk may seem promising. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill - Throw a Rainbow nrg or a Banette to spam it. 3/3/3
  • Paras/Parasect - at least confusion got some loads! 3/3
  • Exeggcute/Alolan Exeggutor - This means that we'll get 2 N alolan Exeggutor in Team-Up! 1st atk is basically Sightseer, 2nd atk, you need to run 4 Rescue Stretchers. 2/3-4
  • Pinsir - too risky to do OHKO. 3 Geodudes
  • Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - One day, someone will make this work! I don't think it'll be in every deck thing! 3/3/4
  • Vulpix/Ninetales - just throw Ditto in a Blaceph deck! Not just you do help Naganadel accel nrg, u got a free guzma. 2/4
  • Ponyta/Rapidash - Unimpressive. 2/2
  • Moltres - Someone will do a mill here. Throw Kiawe, mill 4 cards, the problem is getting the energies back .3-4
  • Magikarp x Wailord TTGX - UUGGHH! This will be our 6th TTGX, we'll get this as a promo, but FA/RR/SR will be in this set.
  • Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise - It's a Max Elixir on a Stage 2. 3/2/4
  • Psyduck/Golduck - ehhh. Even Victini can make Psyduck fine. 3/2
  • Staryu/Starmie - I love the nrg accel from the deck, but as a Stage 1 with 80 hp? ehh 3/3
  • Magikarp/Gyarados - All you need is run tons of w nrg. 2/4
  • Lapras - Basically reprint of Fossil one but with cheaper AC. 2 Geodudes
  • Articuno - anti-Guzma for Water decks! 4 Geodudes
  • Pikachu x Zekrom TTGX - MORE DAMAGE, Lightning support helps it a lot. 5 Geodudes
  • Alolan Geodude/Graveler/Golem - ehhh. I can see is 100 for 0 nrg for Golem. 2/2/3
  • Voltorb/Electrode - Unleashed Shaymin in Lightning decks. 2/5 Geodudes
  • Gengar x Mimikyu TTGX - just use Marshadow against Zoroark. 4 Geodudes
  • Nido line - Nidoqueen and Nidoking can make a deck on its own! 2,2/3,2/3-4,3-4
  • Tentacool/Tentacruel - Throw Ditto, then Tentacruel. Instant Buzz/Blaceph counter. 2/4
  • Grimer/Muk - that means the Kanto and Alola forms of Muk will be in Team-Up! For Muk, just run Sea of Nothingness if that's the case. For devolving stuff and the ability, good. 2/3
  • Mr. Mime - ANTI-ACEROLA!!! 4 Geodudes
  • Jynx - ehh. 2 Geodudes
  • Mankey/Primeape - WHEN DO WE SEE A GOOD PRIMEAPE CARD??!! 1/2
  • Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan - such low damage and the opponent can Guzma one of them. 2/2
  • Omanyte/Omastar - another Maxie thing in Expanded!!! 3/4 (E),3 (S) It's a Stage 2 that evolves from a Fossil.
  • Kabuto/Kabutops - good ability, still good atk, Diancie + CB can feed it. 3/3
  • Aerodactyl - Perfect pair with Shrine of Punishment. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Dratin/Dragonair/Dragonite - Vulpix + Lele + Lance + this = better than Lele in the Mid game. 3/3/4-5
  • Lati@s TTGX - Malamar, NagaQuag, OHKO almost every turn. 5
  • Eevee x Snorlax TTGX - just good. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot - Pidgeot? ehh. Pidgeotto? Consistently good. 2/4/3
  • Meowth/Persian - ehh. 2/2
  • Farfetch'd - 90-120 for 1? Maybe. 3
  • Tauros - The GX might return because of this gimmick. 3
  • Kangaskhan - Turn 1 stuff. 3
  • Bill's Analysis - Getting a consistent way of pick up trainers is nuts. 4 Geodudes
  • Judge's Whistle - Just use Pal Pad. If you want to use Judge immediately to disrupt your opponent, Go! 3
  • Brawny Pads - 350HP MagikWail TTGX. 5 Geodudes
  • Unidentified Fossil - 1 more year of legality I hope.
  • Erika's Hospitality - More draw support! 5 Geodudes
  • Brock's Grit - finally reprinted after got recently rotated. I find some use on Rainbow Road before, since Super Rod is gone and the only Stretcher and Recycle System are the replacement, maybe just maybe Brock's Grit will saw play. 4 Geodudes
  • Pokémon Communication - IT'S 7 YEARS!! To get another one. 5 Geodudes
  • Sabrina's Suggestions - Let's Go use their Cynthia's. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Lavender Town - Gumshoos' ability is 100% obselete. And saw play in some decks. 5 Geodudes
  • Viridian Forest - as long we don't have the fidget spinner yet in Standard, this will search your energy guarantee. Yowza baby! (Did I say it bad?) 5 Geodudes
  • Reprints: Well finally see Aqua Patch, Volkner, and Field Blower extend their legality. Choice Band was confirmed as an A Card due to Latam Internats promo. Sorry for the one who expect another Choice Band for next 2 years.

Last edited:

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
man is beeedrill going to be the "new greninja" thanks to the 3-prize tag teams? i'll def keep an eye on it along with rampardos for fun deck ideas.

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
As much as I love waking up to seeing the homepage sprawled with Water Pokémon Master pulling his evening apart to work so hard for us all this set is an awful cliché ridden, mediocre mess to shove the most boring aspects of genwun in our face, ass and wallets.

Its the half of Genwun that's clearly meant for part time fans of nostalgia hype instead of the devouted followers that deserve generation 1 better (what the recen't Pokémon Fit plush series has done). Tag Teams are the only redeeming factor so far even though its really an awful cut+paste to the fair few non-Genwuns only be seen as mere attatchments (similiar vibe to how Base set Venus/Blast/DAir/Alakazam were shunned out of 20th Anniversary strangely).

Nice to see Yuka as always. The Graveler and Muk arts are amazing.
Seeing Sabrina like this in a set thats void of her actual character(s) is insulting. I must get back to working on the case for Uri soon as I have contacted TCPi whose apparently going to forward it to Pokémon Japan so I'll need to check it.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Gotta say I'm a fan of Cynthia being in rotation for another two years! Not just for the effect but Cynthia is definitely my favorite human in the universe by far.
Well a FA of it in Team Up so probably it'll extend the legality. You know the one with Shiny Lucario in the artwork

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Will Pokémon Stay poisioned when they retreat to the banch with muk???

No, Pokémon can't be affected by special conditions if they ever return to the bench. Muk merely prevents poison from being removed if a Pokémon evolves/devolves, exactly as it states.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer
Alolan Egg isn't as busted as he seems unless you use Lance and Ditto Prism Star. Otherwise, you need an Exeggcute to Evolve, you probably want a backup to promote for the next turn, and one could always be prized. Not worth investing in.
Expanded deck
Alolan egg
Dittos from black and white as your basics
Propagation Eggs.
Mew EX
Dimension valley.

You're now doing 240 every turn for a single energy. If mew gets ko'd, you still have yours Alolan eggs.s
I see it working in some reality.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
Beedrill is a troll, one of in Alol Exeggutor/Sceptile GX +PoTown to take out those GXs OHKO.
Alolan Exeggutor's looking broke in expanded where with propogate egg it can consistently hit 190 (with choice band, playing it safe)
The fossils look really cancerous if you can get them to work. (G/M Tag Team GX+ Alol/Ninetales+Double Fossils?)
Mr.Mime's retrieval block will be super irritating for some decks.
Starmie looks decent acceleration
Articuno could be a one of in Water Box
Dratini seems to have a misprint (at time of post) because the ability currently says it's immune from all effects of an opponent's attack; I think it's effects other than damage. (if not, I have found my new partner)

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
A: Beedrill is really good. Against Tag Teams, just stick a Rainbow Energy to it and KO the Tag Team. 3 prizes, right there. It might not be good against single-prize Pokémon, but if TTs become THAT rampant, Beedrill will always be an option.
B: Gyarados looks mildly interesting, you can end up doing a lot with Magcargo and Mallow...
C: Alolan Golem looks nice, use Shuckle-Zerarora GX, get it powered fast, blow something up. Reliable? Good? No.
D: Tentecruel is a shield from UBs? I like it already!
E: WOW, Starmie looks GOOD. Is Malamar better? That remains to be seen.
F: Primape looks easy to pull up. Fighting energy, DCE, Stadium, easy 160. 190 with Choice Band. It works.
G: :eek: Fossil lock? FOSSIL LOCK? Woah! Supporter AND Item lock! There’s gonna be hoo-hah and hype around this one!
H: I like how Special Combo isn’t actually special.
I: Alolan Exeggutor, Propogation Eggs? 180, every turn? I see Expanded smiling behind its cards.
J: Nice to be back, isn’t it, Pokémon Communication? It’s decent. I haven’t had the pleasure of playing with it before, so I’ll see how it does soon.
K: Brock’s Grit! That’s pretty good!
L: Lavender Town looks like a nice tech, just to have around. Seeing your opponent’s hand helps, believe it or not.
M: Viridian Forest looks like a nice tech in, like, 3 decks. Just play more energy if you can’t find them! Why are you taking spaces for Viridian Forest when you could be using those same spaces for ENERGY!
N: Those new Trainer arts look SWEET. Now they don’t look like they’re suspended in animation somewhere in a computer system brought to life.
That’s all I have to say. This will certainly be an exciting set.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Starmie is interesting but Alolan Marowak is better thanks to the zero energy cost.

That Beedrill is decent and thanks to the Kakuna we got a couple of sets ago, it is easy to set up. It's first attack pretty much guarantees a free KO on something unless it gets OHKO'd. Likely going to be using Bodybuilding Dumbell's to help it.
Just use Po town.