Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

TBH, I hate Gen 1 based on the storyline based on what I've played way back Fire Red: too harsh, too violent, having some sort of "bullying" because of Blue, which I hate. Gen 1 also introduces gambling via Game Corner which is not good for younger players.

If the Kanto thing was revealed: I was really hope for
  1. Expanded Pokedex
  2. No Pokedex-related story like getting a VS Seeker requires X Pokemon.
  3. Day/Night cycle so that wild Pokémon varies everytime.
  4. An evil team focuses on a Legendary Pokemon.
  5. Retains the best features of Pokémon throughout the years.
Where do we get the livestream of that TV show?

I think it's about time we get a rival who's actually, you know, a rival. I'm getting tired of the rival just being a friend who is basically your personal cheerleader. Also, Blue didn't really bully your character, he was just a cocky little shit. Silver was actually abusive, however. But that was a really interesting concept

Additionally, the raw realism of Team Rocket being a criminal organization is far more entertaining than the ridiculous, cartoonist rule the world plots of the past 5 generations' villainous organizations, imo. Some of the concepts from gen 1 and 2 would actually seem original and refreshing after 5 generations of the same thing regarding rivals and villains (although SM at least mixed things up by having Team Skull be a front for the real villian. Same outcome, however).

Just my opinion, though.

Last time Gen 1 came out was in 2002-2003.
That’s a solid 15-16 years. It’s been quite along time for you to be saying “gen 1 again.”

I'm totally fine with having gen 1 again, but this is just wrong.

Technically, yes, the gen 1 games were last released in 2002-2003.

However, the mascot of pokemon that is constantly pushed as the symbol of the franchise is a gen 1 pokemon. A lot of the pokemon that get the most representation are things like Snorlax and Charizard, that are also gen 1. The games constantly reference Gen 1, like how SM have new special forms for a bunch of Gen 1 pokemon, and the games end with characters explicitly going to Kanto.

Kanto is a huge part of gen 1, and the last video games that explicitly visited that area (excluding the straight ports of red and blue to VC, which I don't count for anything really) were actually Heartgold and Soulsilver in 2009.

Minor thing, but the last time Gen 1 came out was actually 2016, with the 3DS VC release of Red and Blue.
Yes but that was just a re release of the original games ported to the 3DS. The Kanto based Switch game if true would have updated stuff just like FR/LG had.

Speak for yourself.
I’m happy for a gen 1 game.
I hate people think their opinion is what the general public want.
Gen 1 again?
Last time Gen 1 came out was in 2002-2003.
That’s a solid 15-16 years. It’s been quite along time for you to be saying “gen 1 again.”

I don't hate Gen 1 so much as I feel it gets a disproportionate amount of attention. Sure, it's how everything started, but still. Let's go through how much influence Gen 1 has had on each subsequent gen...

Gen II: Continuation of Gen I with players getting to return to Kanto. Baby pokémon added for Gen I pokémon.
Gen III: Started off separate, but then brought Kanto back with FRLG. Pikachu line got an exclusive move.
Gen IV: Released 9 new evos for Gen I pokémon, including 2 new Eevee evos. Gen II got 5, Gen III got 4. Kanto is once again revisited in HGSS, however, to be fair, it's because it's a Gen 2 remake.
Gen V: No clear Gen I favoritism as any nostalgia call backs (like World Chamionship) also call back to other gens.
Gen VI: 15 Mega evos added for Gen I pokémon, 6 Gen I, 20 Gen III, IV Gen 4, 1 Gen V, 1 Gen VI. Gen III may have gotten the most Megas, however that's partially due to ORAS being Gen III remakes. Gen I has the second highest representation, which is substantial. A new Eevee evo was introduced AND the Kanto Starters are secondary starters in Kalos.
Gen VII: Alolan formes are exclusively given to Gen I pokémon. 6 of the 17 pokémon exclusive Z-Crystals are for Gen I pokémon (or in the case of Alolan Raichu, the Alolan forme of a Gen I pokémon). No other pokémon outside of Gen I or Gen VII pokémon get exclusive Z- Crystals. This, coupled with mega stones, mean that Gen I has the most pokémon that can take advantage of two of the most recent new gameplay mechanics in terms of exclusivity. There's no other reasoning for this outside of Gen I favoritism.

So, like I originally stated, Gen I gets A LOT of love already so it is not surprising people feel like returning to Kanto "again" seems to soon. Even if we haven't gone to the region itself, Gen I has been revisited pretty thoroughly every generation outside of Gen V.

Last edited:
Minor thing, but the last time Gen 1 came out was actually 2016, with the 3DS VC release of Red and Blue.

Those were re-releases of the originals. They were not new games. There was no new story/characters/pokemon. Meaning if you already played them there was no need to buy them.
The 3DS VC doesn’t count.

I'd argue that Gen V was a spiritual remake of Gen I, at least where the Pokemon are concerned. There are a ton of parallels.

A spiritual remake with parallels is not the same. Although the Roggenrola line exists and the Geodude line exists doesn't mean that it was "Kanto again".

I mean, if that's the case then every gen would be "Kanto again". Every region has pokémon that fulfill the same role. Starter, early game bird and normal types, obligatory pokéball explanation, etc.

I'm totally fine with having gen 1 again, but this is just wrong.

Technically, yes, the gen 1 games were last released in 2002-2003.

However, the mascot of pokemon that is constantly pushed as the symbol of the franchise is a gen 1 pokemon. A lot of the pokemon that get the most representation are things like Snorlax and Charizard, that are also gen 1. The games constantly reference Gen 1, like how SM have new special forms for a bunch of Gen 1 pokemon, and the games end with characters explicitly going to Kanto.

Kanto is a huge part of gen 1, and the last video games that explicitly visited that area (excluding the straight ports of red and blue to VC, which I don't count for anything really) were actually Heartgold and Soulsilver in 2009.

Obviously, you said it yourself, pikachu is the mascot. They’re gonna push him. They wouldn’t change mascots randomly just to appease the few fans that hate Gen 1.
Yes I know the last games to visit Kanto were HGSS, but the person I replied to specifically said Gen 1, not Kanto. Which is why I said ‘02-‘03 FRLG.

Also all the games reference all the games. SM/USUM reference every previous generation at least a few times. This point doesn’t really make much sense.

I don't hate Gen 1 so much as I feel it gets a disproportionate amount of attention. Sure, it's how everything started, but still. Let's go through how much influence Gen 1 has had on each subsequent gen...

Gen II: Continuation of Gen I with players getting to return to Kanto. Baby pokémon added for Gen I pokémon.
Gen III: Started off separate, but then brought Kanto back with FRLG. Pikachu line got an exclusive move.
Gen IV: Released 9 new evos for Gen I pokémon, including 2 new Eevee evos. Gen II got 5, Gen III got 4. Kanto is once again revisited in HGSS, however, to be fair, it's because it's a Gen 2 remake.
Gen V: No clear Gen I favoritism as any nostalgia call backs (like World Chamionship) also call back to other gens.
Gen VI: 15 Mega evos added for Gen I pokémon, 6 Gen I, 20 Gen III, IV Gen 4, 1 Gen V, 1 Gen VI. Gen III may have gotten the most Megas, however that's partially due to ORAS being Gen III remakes. Gen I has the second highest representation, which is substantial. A new Eevee evo was introduced AND the Kanto Starters are secondary starters in Kalos.
Gen VII: Alolan formes are exclusively given to Gen I pokémon. 6 of the 17 pokémon exclusive Z-Crystals are for Gen I pokémon (or in the case of Alolan Raichu, the Alolan forme of a Gen I pokémon). No other pokémon outside of Gen I or Gen VII pokémon get exclusive Z- Crystals.

So, like I originally stated, Gen I gets A LOT of love already so it is not surprising people feel like returning to Kanto "again" seems to soon. Even if we haven't gone to the region itself, Gen I has been revisited pretty thoroughly every generation outside of Gen V.

All this I feel proves why we it makes sense to go back to Gen 1. You even say “how much influence Gen 1 has had on subsequent generations.” (Paraphrasing).
Go back to the roots that created it all.

Also you could say the same of almost any other generation, maybe not to the extent of Gen 1 but that’s only because Gen 1 has been around much longer.

Starting with Gen 3- altering cave to catch Gen 2 Pokémon. Pokémon colosseum to catch Gen 2 pokemon. XD gale of darkness has Lugia as a mascot. FRLG have the Sevii Islands to catch Gen 2-3 pokemon. Plenty of Gen 4 pokemon were released during this time in other mediums. FRLG have a roaming Gen 2 legendary beast.

Gen 4-evolutionary lines for all previous generational Pokémon, not just Gen 1. GS remakes.. References to Gen 2 like jasmine being in sunnyshore city.

Gen 5-in pokemon conquest, nobunagas main Pokémon was a Rayquaza. Honestly can’t think of anything else. I didn’t play these games all that much.

Gen 6- RSE remakes, mega evolutions for Pokémon of every generation, not just Gen 1.

Gen 7-Malie city based on johto, man in the desert asks to see solrock/lunatone (Gen 3 reference). Gen 5 elite four member shows up and gives you pokeride for sharpedo. In USUM all evil teams show up, not just Gen 1.

That was all stuff off the top of my head, im sure if I did research I could find a lot more.
I’m just saying, there are references to every game in every game. So if you say you’re tired of Gen 1 because of “references,” because we both have agreed we haven’t been to Gen 1 in 15-16 years, or Kanto in about 9-10 years, then you’re probably tired of every other generation because of “references.”

No Pls No. We don't want Gen 1 again. Everything I know about Gen 1 is enough to prove that Gen 1 sucks

Also, it’s ironic how you say everything about Gen 1 sucks when you’re profile pic and name are of a Pokémon that evolved from a gen 1 pokemon.
I guess not everything about Gen 1 sucks.
Honesty you should be happy for Gen 1 because without rhydon you wouldn’t have rhyperior.

Something that has been on my mind...

Everyone was expecting Gen 4 remakes...
The big rumour is that the switch games are Kanto remakes, set 100 years in the future...

With this in mind... I have a few notes:
1. Gen 4 was also very Kanto-orientated with many new Evolutions of Gen 1 Pokemon. Maybe gen 8 will be too.
2. Maybe the time-space-dimension Pokemon Dialga, Palkia and Giratina have something to do with Kanto being 100 years in the future.

Therefore I think it’s not just Gen 1 all over again

A spiritual remake with parallels is not the same. Although the Roggenrola line exists and the Geodude line exists doesn't mean that it was "Kanto again".

I mean, if that's the case then every gen would be "Kanto again". Every region has pokémon that fulfill the same role. Starter, early game bird and normal types, obligatory pokéball explanation, etc.

Although most generations share common groups of Pokemon such as the early bird, bug, and rodent families and the dragon line, gen 5 seems to be inspired more by gen 1 than any of the others. We have parallels for Hitmonlee/Chan, grimer, magnemite, voltorb, mewtwo, geodude, zubat, drowsee, poliwag, machop, and maybe a few more.

Btw, I never said it was Kanto again, so I'm where you got that idea.

No Pls No. We don't want Gen 1 again. Everything I know about Gen 1 is enough to prove that Gen 1 sucks
Do you know about the many scrapped designs it has and how it is connected to Johto? :p It has a lot of potential. The "GO" cross connection is the scary part... However, an entirely new region could have been the best choice, that's unanimously agreed among the fans.

too harsh, too violent,

wat

Gen 1 also introduces gambling via Game Corner which is not good for younger players.

omg wat

You're main reason for not wanting a hypothetical unreleased game to be set in a certain region is that the original contained bullying and gambling? That's just insane. Voltorb Flip is not going to incentivize gambling addiction. Bullying happens to everyone. Both being present could actively discourage those activities if portrayed in a controlled environment, such as a game for kids. Blue is not the hero. I hope I'm just reading you wrong, cause this reasoning is so fallacious it makes my head hurt.

except for the fact that you weren't alive when gen 1 was created
Is he not entitled to enjoy the game because he is younger than you?

All this I feel proves why we it makes sense to go back to Gen 1. You even say “how much influence Gen 1 has had on subsequent generations.” (Paraphrasing).
Go back to the roots that created it all.

Also you could say the same of almost any other generation, maybe not to the extent of Gen 1 but that’s only because Gen 1 has been around much longer.

Starting with Gen 3- altering cave to catch Gen 2 Pokémon. Pokémon colosseum to catch Gen 2 pokemon. XD gale of darkness has Lugia as a mascot. FRLG have the Sevii Islands to catch Gen 2-3 pokemon. Plenty of Gen 4 pokemon were released during this time in other mediums. FRLG have a roaming Gen 2 legendary beast.

Gen 4-evolutionary lines for all previous generational Pokémon, not just Gen 1. GS remakes.. References to Gen 2 like jasmine being in sunnyshore city.

Gen 5-in pokemon conquest, nobunagas main Pokémon was a Rayquaza. Honestly can’t think of anything else. I didn’t play these games all that much.

Gen 6- RSE remakes, mega evolutions for Pokémon of every generation, not just Gen 1.

Gen 7-Malie city based on johto, man in the desert asks to see solrock/lunatone (Gen 3 reference). Gen 5 elite four member shows up and gives you pokeride for sharpedo. In USUM all evil teams show up, not just Gen 1.

That was all stuff off the top of my head, im sure if I did research I could find a lot more.
I’m just saying, there are references to every game in every game. So if you say you’re tired of Gen 1 because of “references,” because we both have agreed we haven’t been to Gen 1 in 15-16 years, or Kanto in about 9-10 years, then you’re probably tired of every other generation because of “references.”

You seem to misinterpret my point. I wasn't simply outlining references. I was outlining when Gen I seemed to be keenly entwined with the current gen. Some random throw away line or side game wasn't counted. Allow me to counter your points.

Gen III - You mention Altering Cave, however that mechanic was never implemented. It only ever has Zubats. Sure, Colosseum and XD had Gen II pokemon, I'll conceed that, however it was because until the release of FRLG it was impossible to get Gen I/II pokemon at all. Those games served as stop gaps to allow for people to actually complete their dexes. I'm not sure that really counts as giving them the spotlight when the alternative was to not have them available at all. The Sevii Islands later served a similar purpose once FRLG were out, but again, they weren't the spotlight. Besides, in a Gen that has a game where you can go to Kanto I don't see how making Gen I/II pokemon available is much of a surprise. Kanto is attached to Johto afterall. Sevii was just an attempt to give players Johto pokemon without having to completely force them to get the Gamecube games (even then, you still would need them to complete the dex). This was never done again as all subsequent gens can migrate to later gens. Also, you point out Sevii Islands have Gen III pokemon. Well, yea, no surprise there. FRLG is a Gen III game. Typically remakes have some new area where you can find "new" pokemon which are really just from a different region.

Gen VI - I gave numbers for every region's new evos. I was pointing out Gen I got more.

Gen V - Counting side games is pointless as they aren't really part of a gen. I mean, is Pokemon Dash a Gen IV game?

Gen VI - Again, I was higlighting how MANY Gen I got compared to other gens. Did you read my post?

Gen VII - Again, call backs, but none of the things you mentioned have any weight on the game as a whole. I mean, you could sub out the old man asking about Solrock/Lunatone to asking about any other two pokemon for the same effect. Zangoose/Seviper, Durant/Heatmor, etc. Same goes for Grimsley. Any Elite four member from any region would be a call back. I never said the games didn't call back to other regions. I specifically was pointing out how many PLAY MECHANICS are updated to include Gen I pokemon over other gens. Some random dude talking about a pokemon is not enough for me to warrant that equal footing to a gen getting new evos, formes, megas, and z moves regularly vs other gens that get them sparsely. I'm aware all gens have little easter eggs that point to other gens/regions, which is why I didn't bother with them. If they all are represented, then it's fine. I even made that point under "Gen V". Since no game play mechanics were added that disproportionately favored Gen I, I made a point to say all were equally represented.

Although most generations share common groups of Pokemon such as the early bird, bug, and rodent families and the dragon line, gen 5 seems to be inspired more by gen 1 than any of the others. We have parallels for Hitmonlee/Chan, grimer, magnemite, voltorb, mewtwo, geodude, zubat, drowsee, poliwag, machop, and maybe a few more.

Btw, I never said it was Kanto again, so I'm where you got that idea.

I got that idea because that was the whole point of my post. Since you quoted that, I assumed that was what we were talking about.

Last edited:
I got that idea because that was the whole point of my post. Since you quoted that, I assumed that was what we were talking about.

I was simply responding to to point out that Gen 5 did have some gen 1 influences, by I never said it was Kanto again. Besides, having some evolutions doesn't make it Kanto again either. I think the only generations that showed clear favoritism for gen 1 were gen 2 and 7. The rest had some callbacks in the form of evolitions, references, and legendaries, but then again, the same could be said for.any generation. I don't think I count remakes since those are separate from the actual generation, and it only happened once.

I was simply responding to to point out that Gen 5 did have some gen 1 influences, by I never said it was Kanto again. Besides, having some evolutions doesn't make it Kanto again either. I think the only generations that showed clear favoritism for gen 1 were gen 2 and 7. The rest had some callbacks in the form of evolitions, references, and legendaries, but then again, the same could be said for.any generation. I don't think I count remakes since those are separate from the actual generation, and it only happened once.

Again, it isn't that all gens don't get SOMETHING. I never said was the case. I know all gens get a little representation. However, if you do the math Gen I gets the most in terms of new mechanics. I mean, the best example is probably 6th gen. The Kanto starters are secondary starters (the first time that have EVER happened and it's with Gen I guys) AND in the game that introduces Megas the Kanto starters get megas over that gen's starters. Addtionally, the only pokemon to get 2 megas are both Gen I pokemon. 6th gen didn't have a lower level legendary trio either. Instead we got Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres again. :p I get what you're saying about parallels, but that seems a bit too iffy for me to quantify without it getting out of hand. I'm not sure how I would score how parallel a pokémon is.

Last edited:
Can we please get this over with, I Can't go on YouTube with out seeing cringy click-bait from PokeTubers

Back