Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

suraci

The Angel That Flew Too Close To the Sun
TBH, I hate Gen 1 based on the storyline based on what I've played way back Fire Red: too harsh, too violent, having some sort of "bullying" because of Blue, which I hate. Gen 1 also introduces gambling via Game Corner which is not good for younger players.

If the Kanto thing was revealed: I was really hope for
  1. Expanded Pokedex
  2. No Pokedex-related story like getting a VS Seeker requires X Pokemon.
  3. Day/Night cycle so that wild Pokémon varies everytime.
  4. An evil team focuses on a Legendary Pokemon.
  5. Retains the best features of Pokémon throughout the years.
Where do we get the livestream of that TV show?
4. Didnt they focus on Mewtwo? I just feel as if team rocket should be more focused on Mewtwo. But since Giovanni Died, Would u rather see a new team rocket with silver focusing on mewtwo and the legendary birds?
5. What are those features?
Just a question.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
Since it would seem my previous statement didn't convey what I was trying to say, I have conducted an analysis of how represented Gen I pokémon are when it comes to play mechanics. I am only taking account aspects of battling and collecting. I am not counting instances of an NPC referencing another region/generation or the appearance of NPCs from different games. To me these are very low impact overall and are clearly just there for story building. When it comes to pokémon, the core is... well... the pokémon themselves. I have scored each Gen using the following metrics:

Mega Representation: How many pokémon from that generation can Mega Evolve.
Regional Variants: How many pokémon from each generation with a known regional variant.
Exclusive Z-Crystal Representation: How many pokémon from that generation can use an exclusive Z-Move. For this study, Alolan Raichu is counted as Gen I since it is an regional variant of a Gen I pokémon.
New Babies Added After Introduction: How many baby pokémon were added to older lines each generation.
New Evolutions Added After Introduction: How many new evolutions were added to older lines each generation.
Starter Recycling per Gen: How often pokémon from a given generation were used as starters per generation. Paired games (ex: FRLG) and core games with a follow-up (RuSaE) are only counted once. I am not counting non-core games like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

From my research, Gen I typically gets at least a good representation in each gen's newer mechanics, occasionally even moreso than the gen's own pokémon (specifically megas in gen 6). This is what leads to fatigue with "Kanto" and Gen I. This isn't even counting the sheer number of times we have stepped into the region, which is 4 out of 7 gens. Couple that with how much outside marketing (TCG, anime, etc) ties directly to Gen I pokémon and it is easy to see why people are ready to see some of the other pokémon take the spotlight for longer than just for their individual generation.

I also want to follow, as I feel I will have to defend this stance, that I am not saying I hate Gen I. I really like it. That being said, I also like other gens and would like them to begin to be more equally represented when new additions are made.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
4. Didnt they focus on Mewtwo? I just feel as if team rocket should be more focused on Mewtwo. But since Giovanni Died, Would u rather see a new team rocket with silver focusing on mewtwo and the legendary birds?
5. What are those features?
Just a question.

It wasn't until USUM that the game linked Team Rocket to Mewtwo. Up to that point the TR/Mewtwo connection was anime exclusive. Not even Yellow version makes that connection.

You are really complaining about this? It's odd coming from a Rhyperior lover... oh wait apparently Gen I sucks, including Rhyperior apparently, so who's gonna be your new avi? Conkeldurr?

To be fair, Rhyperior is a Gen IV pokémon, not Gen I.

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
Since it would seem my previous statement didn't convey what I was trying to say, I have conducted an analysis of how represented Gen I pokémon are when it comes to play mechanics. I am only taking account aspects of battling and collecting. I am not counting instances of an NPC referencing another region/generation or the appearance of NPCs from different games. To me these are very low impact overall and are clearly just there for story building. When it comes to pokémon, the core is... well... the pokémon themselves. I have scored each Gen using the following metrics:

Mega Representation: How many pokémon from that generation can Mega Evolve.
Regional Variants: How many pokémon from each generation with a known regional variant.
Exclusive Z-Crystal Representation: How many pokémon from that generation can use an exclusive Z-Move. For this study, Alolan Raichu is counted as Gen I since it is an regional variant of a Gen I pokémon.
New Babies Added After Introduction: How many baby pokémon were added to older lines each generation.
New Evolutions Added After Introduction: How many new evolutions were added to older lines each generation.
Starter Recycling per Gen: How often pokémon from a given generation were used as starters per generation. Paired games (ex: FRLG) and core games with a follow-up (RuSaE) are only counted once. I am not counting non-core games like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

From my research, Gen I typically gets at least a good representation in each gen's newer mechanics, occasionally even moreso than the gen's own pokémon (specifically megas in gen 6). This is what leads to fatigue with "Kanto" and Gen I. This isn't even counting the sheer number of times we have stepped into the region, which is 4 out of 7 gens. Couple that with how much outside marketing (TCG, anime, etc) ties directly to Gen I pokémon and it is easy to see why people are ready to see some of the other pokémon take the spotlight for longer than just for their individual generation.

I also want to follow, as I feel I will have to defend this stance, that I am not saying I hate Gen I. I really like it. That being said, I also like other gens and would like them to begin to be more equally represented when new additions are made.
Interesting analysis! This does put it into perspective, however, I think you may need to factor in which generations were available once each mechanic was introduced. For evolutions, this was introduced when the only other generation was 1. Evolutions were again utilized in Gen 4, so how are they distributed among the previous 3 generations, and is it significant? Similarly, you can look at babies and how they were distributed among the previous generations. The z crystals and alolan forms were clearly skewed towards Kanto Pokemon even though 7 generations are available to choose from. Mega evolutions is interesting because gen 3 gets the majority, BUT, it had a remake to boost its numbers.
Anyway, good work on making the charts.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
Interesting analysis! This does put it into perspective, however, I think you may need to factor in which generations were available once each mechanic was introduced. For evolutions, this was introduced when the only other generation was 1. Evolutions were again utilized in Gen 4, so how are they distributed among the previous 3 generations, and is it significant? Similarly, you can look at babies and how they were distributed among the previous generations. The z crystals and alolan forms were clearly skewed towards Kanto Pokemon even though 7 generations are available to choose from. Mega evolutions is interesting because gen 3 gets the majority, BUT, it had a remake to boost its numbers.
Anyway, good work on making the charts.

I do think the point about babies and evos is a very valid one, and I totally agree with you. If it weren't for the other metrics I'd say it's pretty well balanced given when the new aspects are added. It's only when you take babies and evos into account with everything else does the skew become evident. If at some point the other metrics become balanced out then my opinion would likely change.

The ORAS factor is a big one, as it explains why Gen III is so well represented, but the fact Gen I is second isn't as easy to excuse away given how poorly represented Gens IV, V, and VI are. If we had gotten some Sinnoh remake for Gen VII that had given exclusive z-crystals and/or megas to some of the other gens I think that this conversation would at least be a little different. I would likely still think Gen I gets more than it's fair share, but not to the degree I do now. :) From a story telling standpoint, it makes sense that most pokémon with exclusive Z-moves are Alolan natives. However, again like the ORAS issue, it doesn't explain why Gen I is so well represented.

Last edited:

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
I do think the point about babies and evos is a very valid one, and I totally agree with you. If it weren't for the other metrics I'd say it's pretty well balanced given when the new aspects are added. It's only when you take babies and evos into account with everything else does the skew become evident. If at some point the other metrics become balanced out then my opinion would likely change.

The ORAS factor is a big one, as it explains why Gen III is so well represented, but the fact Gen I is second isn't as easy to excuse away. If we had gotten some Sinnoh remake for Gen VII that had given exclusive z-crystals and/or megas to some of the other gens I think that this conversation would at least be a little different. I would likely still think Gen I gets more than it's fair share, but not to the degree I do now. :)
Yep, I agree. Gen 1 does get more representation overall. I think I lost track of what I was arguing earlier, especially since I never disagreed with your points. Shouldn't be reading comments about Pokemon games at work I guess lol

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
Yep, I agree. Gen 1 does get more representation overall. I think I lost track of what I was arguing earlier, especially since I never disagreed with your points. Shouldn't be reading comments about Pokemon games at work I guess lol

Haha, well, you're not the only one guilty of that. I just wanted people to realize I wasn't ragging on Gen I just to tear it down. I do see why some players may be ready to see more representation by other gens, especially if they started in a different gen and love it as much as those of us who started in Gen I. It's a particularly tough time being a Gen IV fan. No remake. Few megas. No exclusive Z-moves. No regional variants. Then to hear that we may be going back to Kanto rather than Sinnoh (or a new region), that's gotta sting. I personally would prefer a new region at the start of a Gen, but if they make it different enough I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I just don't want to start with the same Gen I starter, go to Viridian to find the gym leader gone, etc. If it relies too much on nostalgia I won't enjoy it as much as if it didn't. I'll still enjoy catching new pokémon, playing it in higher def, etc... but it needs to be an adventure. If I know who the next gym leader is (disregarding if I can't keep myself away from spoilers) then I will be disappointed. I've already beaten Brock and Misty enough. XD

Biogoji

Gotta respect what packs that kinda punch."
WOW.

You are really complaining about this? It's odd coming from a Rhyperior lover... oh wait apparently Gen I sucks, including Rhyperior apparently, so who's gonna be your new avi? Conkeldurr?

I love how you're whining about Gen I again, last time it was remade was on Gameboy, I personally would love to see Gen I flushed out in 3D and a beautiful max resolution of 1080p. I'm so sick of how everyone complains about what region is gonna be in the new Pokemon Games, just enjoy the game.

2012: We don't want Unova 2 years in a row. *Insert Baby Crying*
2013: We want remakes! *Insert Baby crying*
2014: We didn't want Hoenn remakes! *Insert Baby Crying*
2015: We want a real Pokemon Game, not another Mystery Dungeon! *Insert Baby Crying*
2016: We wanted Alola to be cooler! *Insert Baby Crying*
2017: We don't want Alola two years in a row! *Insert Baby Crying*
2018: We don't want Gen I again! *Insert Baby Crying*

Honestly, just play the games and stop complaining, if its Gen I, it's Gen I, no need to complain like everyone else has every year for the past six years. My god.

OMG!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. Im genuinely tired of hearing people moan and complain, about this. It's frustrating, because when the game eventually releases. Those who moaned and complained are gonna be glued to the game. "Finally a new pokemon game" or something similar in nature.

TincanRiolu

Can’t afford Leles :l
TBH, I hate Gen 1 based on the storyline based on what I've played way back Fire Red: too harsh, too violent, having some sort of "bullying" because of Blue, which I hate. Gen 1 also introduces gambling via Game Corner which is not good for younger players.

If the Kanto thing was revealed: I was really hope for
  1. Expanded Pokedex
  2. No Pokedex-related story like getting a VS Seeker requires X Pokemon.
  3. Day/Night cycle so that wild Pokémon varies everytime.
  4. An evil team focuses on a Legendary Pokemon.
  5. Retains the best features of Pokémon throughout the years.
Where do we get the livestream of that TV show?

dude the Game Corner is lit

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
would be nice to be able to travel between regions... :3
There would be no excuse not to. The Switch is capable of so much more than the 3DS ever was, there'd be no excuse not to during some point of Gen VIII. The more content the better, I want a game I don't put down after a couple weeks!
WOW.

I love how you're whining about Gen I again, last time it was remade was on Gameboy, I personally would love to see Gen I flushed out in 3D and a beautiful max resolution of 1080p. I'm so sick of how everyone complains about what region is gonna be in the new Pokemon Games, just enjoy the game.
Do you just... not have respect for anyone? I have seen you do nothing on this site but be an aggressor and insult other people for no reason. Grow up, you're embarrassing yourself.
Didnt they focus on Mewtwo? I just feel as if team rocket should be more focused on Mewtwo. But since Giovanni Died, Would u rather see a new team rocket with silver focusing on mewtwo and the legendary birds?
To be honest I don't think they ever did. Mewtwo was just kind of found in Gen I in Cerulean Cave, I don't think it was ever suggested that way until we saw them take use of it in the anime. Then again I could be entirely wrong, I haven't played any of the original RBY games in a while and my memory's hazy. Also, my biggest question is when did Giovanni die? He never did in RBY or FRLG, otherwise the entire plots of GSC and HGSS wouldn't have made any sense. And he 100% survived after the whole Rainbow Rocket arc in USUM, so I'm not sure what you mean.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
What’s funny is everything you say that you hate about Gen 1 are the exact reasons a lot people love Gen 1.
Yes it’s harsher/more violent than current Pokémon games. But a lot of people like that because it’s more mature, more adult. And the “bullying?” There’s a reason so many people think blue/silver(since he kinda is the same way) are the best rivals.

I personally would love if they went back to that sort of stuff so the games felt more mature and I didn’t feel like I was playing a little kids game the entire time.

I want to add to this. Pokemon back then was "kid friendly". There wasn't too much going on and it felt real. How many people remember when Pidgeotto was going to eat Ash's Cartipie becuase he sent it to battle it or the time Ash ate a Magikarp? How about that time Ash got two Shotguns in his face because a store owner though he was going to rob them?

Gary (Blue), we all hated him but looked forward to whooping his ass. Same thing with the gen two rival but now the newer Pokemon games remind you that you're a kid, playing a kids game. Pokemon doesn't need to be in the "end of the world" arch the newer games seem to be, where its up to you to save the world for being destroyed. Gen one was about ecosystem and how a bad guy team tried to disrupt it to make money. Hell, the boss of Team Rocket was also the eighth Gym Leader and used it as a front. I mean, how much cooler does it get than that? The best thing in my opinion that came of gen seven was Oricorio.

I just hate it when people say no one wants Gen One because of personal reasons when I know for a fact I'd love to go back there. Pokemon doesn't need a Gen Eight. There is enough content to work with.

FrostyLily

ニャンパス~ (she/her)
EVERYONE STAY CALM!! POKEMON ENGLISH TWITTER HAS REPORTED ITS A NEW GAME CALLED POKEMON QUEST!!!