Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Greedy die seems honestly pretty bad. It needs to be in your prizes - otherwise its useless - you need to not play town map, otherwise you can't use it - you need to flip a coin, otherwise its useless - you can't use it under item lock and if you take a prize under item lock and it happens to be that, its useless - it takes up valuable space and you won't be able to predict its payoff

Overall its a bad card
I know Greedy Die is a bit random but seriously that's quite powerful, at this point pokemon might as well just make an official post on their website stating "Hello everyone, we know that you like to 'try' using decks that are not called night march, vespiquen vileplume, or trevenant, but we just wanted to say you're not ever going to see anything but those decks win now, enjoy every battle being one sided the second they set up their item lock or NM deck first. Oh and as for those other cards we print? They're just filler for stuff that will die to night march anyway because we know you'll buy them anyway. Have fun, but only if you play Night March or Item lock. : D "

Greedy die seems honestly pretty bad. It needs to be in your prizes - otherwise its useless - you need to not play town map, otherwise you can't use it - you need to flip a coin, otherwise its useless - you can't use it under item lock and if you take a prize under item lock and it happens to be that, its useless - it takes up valuable space and you won't be able to predict its payoff

Overall its a bad card
Vileplume only affects cards in hand and while the wording isn't that clear I believe it's played from the prizes, not hand, either way NM would still like to abuse this town map or no.

Vileplume only affects cards in hand and while the wording isn't that clear I believe it's played from the prizes, not hand, either way NM would still like to abuse this town map or no.
I don't see NM using this at all. Even with 4 copies of greedy die, the probability of getting even one into the prize cards is only around 30% (yes, I actually calculated this before...don't ask). And even then it's not guaranteed to be useful, since it uses a coin flip and its also useless if its one of the last prize cards you draw. In the end, the chance of it being useful in any way is really slim, and playing 4 copies to maximize the probability of getting it in the prizes would hurt consistency a LOT.

I really like the idea of Greedy Die. It's overly situational gimmickness that nobody will actually use, but it's a cool idea anyway.

maybe there will be a card, which lets you swap pricecards, then this would be not that bad - you could still flip all tails thought.
But I think this card is bad, it more helps the cheaters, which will swap price card just with hand cards if you are not alert to his actions. I know there are not much cheaters in our great com, but I just don't like the concept of this card.

When has 110 damage for 0-2 energy EVER been considered bad? m- gardevoir 2hkos now. I think we need less Pokemon that can nuke so easily.

By itself, Greedy Die is bad but maybe they'll release other cards to support it?

M Gardevoir-EX is still good but now that we know it's only +10 for each benched Pokemon discarded I think that the M Gardevoir-EX from Primal Clash is the better one.

Also, it's strange that the base Gardevoir-EX isn't shiny - this makes little sense, especially from the videogame's point of view!

That Xerneas looks like a moose

With the current known card pool, Greedy Die isn't worth the space in any deck, that doesn't mean hitting the effect isn't extremely powerful, just that the odds of it being a completely dead card would be among the highest in the game. If they release a reasonable way to switch cards from your hand with a face down prize card, you could have your prizes stacked mid/late game, essentially a 'flip a coin until you get tails, draw a prize card for each heads'. If you can use 4 in a game, that provides an average that will win you the game.

Maybe something like an Azelf from the DP era, which we put from the hand to the bench, could switch one of the cards in your hand with one of your prized cards

I still think the Mega Garde is pretty good. Dimension Valley + 1 Fairy energy for 110 damage?
It'd be killer early game.

My reaction to mega gardevoir dealing 10 for each discarded: Long string of curse words.
It was only viable in expanded anyway, and now it's not even there.

Last edited:
You also can't use town map with greedy die because it says it has to be a downward facing prize

Darn. I'm a bit upset at the fact it's only +10 for each one discarded. Really wanted to make a deck with it.
Also, they already reprinted the XY Base Yveltal in Generations. Don't quite understand why they did it again.
And made Yveltal EX a tin promo.
Oh yeah, so people can still keep playing them in standard after XY gets rotated out.

Also, yeah. The Greedy Die sounds like trash. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
When has 110 damage for 0-2 energy EVER been considered bad? m- gardevoir 2hkos now. I think we need less Pokemon that can nuke so easily.

When TPCi decided to make Night March, and to a lesser extent, Vespiqueen/Flareon.

Basically, Gardevoir is still good, but it's not degenerate, so why play something that's "fair" when there's so many degenerate decks out there? I mean, playing just for fun or kitchen table pokemon, it's fine to play a fair deck. But if you're trying to be competitive and win...

It's completely useless. It has to be in your Prize cards to use, and even then, it's a coin flip.

The card itself is bad, but the concept is interesting. This is the first Pokemon card I can recall that has an effect when it is taken as a Prize. For the most part, Pokemon steers away from situation-based effects like "When this card is discarded do X" "If this is the first card you've drawn this turn-" etc. There are a couple of Pokemon Abilities that activate when the Pokemon is in the discard, but even those are few and far between.

In recent sets, Pokemon has been getting more adventurous with situation-based triggers, with Night March being an example. It definitely provides some interesting non-direct strategies. However, it can also make a game super confusing if not done right.

Look at the Miracle mechanic from Magic, for example. It was a mechanic where you could cast a card for cheaper if it was the first card you drew that turn. However, in competitive play, in order to prove the card was the first one you drew that turn, the card could not touch the rest of the cards in your hand. You had to pick up the top card of your deck, and if it was a Miracle, cast it immediately. Once you put it with the rest of the cards in your hand, no more Miracle. It resulted in a really awkward, convoluted way of drawing cards that you still see some Magic players do.

If a card like Greedy Dice became commonplace, I could see the same thing happening with Prize cards. How does the other player know that Greedy Dice is the one you just took as a Prize Card, and not one that has been sitting in your hand? Of course the simple answer is that people shouldn't cheat and just be cool, but it can happen unintentionally. You are excited and thinking about your next move when you take your Prize, and you draw the card without looking at it. Your opponent is choosing their next Pokemon and, oh, wait, I took this card that has an effect slow down back up! It can bog down a game, because it forces players to stop in between every step so they don't miss any triggers.

TL;DR Cool idea but don't go crazy, Pokemon.

Well, there goes my plans for Mega Gardevoir. She's absolutely awful now, even if she can attack for 0 energy.

Hope Mega Steelix is good though, being both steel and fighting is excellent, all that fighting support, and Bronzong to accelerate metal energies onto him.

Think of it this way: at least Gardevoir Spirit Link and Geomancy Xernaes are being reprinted so that (thanks to the Generations reprint) the old Mega Gardevoir can *potentially* stay usable in Standard. Maybe fairy will get more buffs (fingers crossed that Xernaes BREAK is good).

On one hand I'm glad that Geomancy Xerneas will continue to live, my fairy deck stays basically untouched for the next rotation thanks to that and Generations with M. Gardevoir EX. Slurpuff is in the air though. The flip side is that something new would have been nice.

Glad to see a regular Volcanion (with nice attacks I think) to accompany the EX and a regular Hoopa unbound (attacks okay but not as good imo).

Is it bad to hope that M. Steelix EX won't be shiny?

Oh, and Greedy Die. Ugh, like games don't already tend to get rushed. At least it requires a coin flip. Still, turning around and getting 3 prize cards just for knocking out an EX, disgusting.

Greedy Die is one of those cards like First Ticket. There's going to be a TON of hype around it, and once we get it, people will quickly realize it's not worth using. I guess I could see some fringe uses of it. The only thing that could make it particularly useful is if we get a card that allows us to PUT it in our Prizes. (Something along the lines of LA Azelf.)

Back