Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
Really any Pokémon that has received an ex not in a set can get another card in a set. Maybe not XY9 or 10, but 11 or on.

SpunkyBandy

Aspiring Trainer
*crosses fingers* Please have a Mega Alakazam figure collection in NA, please have a Mega Alakazam figure collection in NA...

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Mr. dell, we will never have a Kadabra card again, sad but true. An Abra would be nice but I don't think we'll get an Abra/Alakazam line and the Alakazam EX/M. Alakazam EX line in the same set.

Shadows797, I would like to see that grass Phantump/Trevenant line as well, though we did technically get a grass Trevenant already as an EX. I would say though it's not quiet the same thing.

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Er.... more Psychic types? Come on TPCi I'm tired of all the Psychic stuff can we have more support and archetypes from other types? Colorless!

Let's be honest, Hoopa was completely necessary, Mewtwo completely wasn't and yet an Alakazam led set is perhaps the most unpredictable TCG thing revealed all year!

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
The title says: The Awakening of Psychic Kings
I hope kings means that any other Psychic Mega is in the set too (using another type)
M Slowbro (Water type) is than a great option.
M Medicham (Fighting type)?

Aw, this makes my excited :D

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
I'm with everybody asking for Suicune EX as per usual, but after the recent Eeveelution Decks, I am sensing a Sylveon EX happening in either upcoming set.

Unless there's gonna be a super duper Secret Rare of Alakazam (and Gyara before that) like they did for Mewtwo on BREAKthough/ XY8, it would always be a pleasure to see Shining pokemon back into the mix properly, like they did with Bandit Ring/ Ancient Origins/ XY7.

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
Well there goes about 300 bucks haha jk you know I really hope that they have a set based around mega salamence at one point then I would save my money and invest in that set

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Well there goes about 300 bucks haha jk you know I really hope that they have a set based around mega salamence at one point then I would save my money and invest in that set

I think excluding Zygarde and Volcanion, Mega Salamence was perhaps the main contender for set mascot. I mean did anybody really see this set coming already, let alone Alakazam. *Future Sight inetended*

Otaku

The wise fool?
Why did they banish Baby Pokemon?

Because they keep blowing their chance to wait for a clean break with anything that has a "Baby" form and release them as a Basic with the later Stages all shifted up by 1?

Avoid an awkward game mechanic and keep things uniform: don't worry about Unlimited because really, if they were worried about it things would be a lot different. XD

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
...Does anyone actually WANT cards like Pikachu or Jynx to be Stage 1s? That seems terrible to me. The problem with Babies is that any mechanic that lets them evolve tends to lead to very bad cards (how many of the EX/DP Pokemon that got buffed by evolving from a Baby saw ANY play?), and not letting them evolve has little logical sense. The only times Baby Pokemon worked as cards were when they were designed as standalone cards in the Neo and HGSS eras. (And the Neo ones were probably TOO good.)

Otaku

The wise fool?
...Does anyone actually WANT cards like Pikachu or Jynx to be Stage 1s?

Well, obviously I do, but no, I don't know if anyone else wants them. I do know that "baby" Pokémon have a troubled history in the TCG. For a while they did "okay" but the first generation (Neo and e-card era) as well as the last generation (HS-era) had some issues; the former definitely were not balanced, the latter couldn't Evolve into their Evolutions.

That seems terrible to me.

Why? No, really, I need a reason why because you may be absolutely correct but given what I stated, I don't have a good reason to keep doing what has been tried in the past.

The problem with Babies is that any mechanic that lets them evolve tends to lead to very bad cards (how many of the EX/DP Pokemon that got buffed by evolving from a Baby saw ANY play?)...

At least one: Wynaut (EX: Sandstorm 54/100) was used as an opener for decks built around Gardevoir (EX: Ruby/Sapphire 7/109; EX: Power Keepers 9/108) and Gardevoir-ex (EX: Sandstorm 96/100), which also included Wobbuffet (EX: Sandstorm 26/100, EX: Power Keepers 24/108). Relevant to this discussion, while you did have to successfully Evolve from Wynaut into Wobbuffet to make use of either, it was considered "good" when you could do so. Though not the build that was preserved as the confusingly named "Team Rushdown" World Championships 2004 deck, that build came a bit later and I don't recall anyone decrying the mono/mostly Psychic build as horribly inferior (but we are talking over 10 years ago, so for all could have forgotten I may have been one of its critics). Still, enough to confirm that at least one did.

The others may have suffered because during this era, being a Basic only worked out for the best Basic Pokémon as there were insane levels of Evolution acceleration and most Evolutions were allowed better attributes (usually much higher HP scores) and better effects or damage output for the Energy invested than Basics.

....and not letting them evolve has little logical sense. The only times Baby Pokemon worked as cards were when they were designed as standalone cards in the Neo and HGSS eras. (And the Neo ones were probably TOO good.)

The Neo era versions were too good. That is why the mechanic was phased out after a failed attempt at just nerfing them in the e-card era. I am uncertain how balanced the HS-era options were either, largely because I was inactive and barely able to pay attention during the early part of that era, and still struggling to test and learn during the latter bit.

So I'll ask again why would is it so terrible to just have the former "Babies" become regular "Basics". Similar Pokémon already operate like that because they were introduced before or alongside their Evolutions, like Togepei, one of the "babiest" of baby Pokémon. ;)

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
I think excluding Zygarde and Volcanion, Mega Salamence was perhaps the main contender for set mascot. I mean did anybody really see this set coming already, let alone Alakazam. *Future Sight inetended*
Ya I hope he has a set dedicated to him but guess nobody expected alakazam because we hadn't seen him in forever and a few people did forget that you don't need kadabra to make him an EX so a lot of people put him aside.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
So are we taking bets for the English name or what?

I've seen BREAKdown above and BREAKeven in another thread. Here's some more:
  • BREAKup
  • BREAKtime
  • BREAKzone
  • HittheBREAK
  • BREAKaleg
  • GimmeaBREAK
  • HaveaBREAKhaveaKitKat

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
BREAKazam, because it's the Alakazam set. I don't care how awful it sounds.