Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

Buyo

Aspiring Trainer
"Let's see, since Espeon EX is almost unplayable, let's just give both of Umbreon EX's attacks super useful effects to make up for it."

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
That is an impressive tech! Should be useful in Yveltal EX decks, it definitely can't take out a 200+HP Mega out on It's own (Except for maybe M-Gengar EX) Though it might be difficult to pull of because it requires a Darkness energy plus a DCE.

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Taking four Prizes off a Mega... yikes.

Of course, this doesn't automatically make it good. For one thing, it takes three Energy, meaning there's no real way to charge it up in one turn in Standard (Expanded gives you Dark Patch). For another, it only does 70 damage, and pretty much every Mega has at least 3x that much HP; the only one that doesn't, M Diancie-EX (190 HP), happens to resist Darkness anyway.

Needless to say, this guy won't be the center of his own deck. However, I can see it being used as a 1 or 2-copy tech in Yveltal decks, especially since Yveltal-EX can easily bring a Mega down to KO range for End Game.

JRMFTW

Crazy Old Man
I don't think this card is going to be as good as people think it will be. The weakness to fighting and the energy cost as well as the abundance of big basic decks will limit it's potential.

I will however, definitely try and use Y-Cylcone with Yveltal Ex to put a mega in KO range and quickly charge up Umbreon to claim 4 prizes.

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Im surprised that this is getting less stick as a "big basics" card than something like fighting spirit belt

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
Can't understand the fuss about this card. The second attack is just too weak. Megas have 210 Hp. They need to at least have lost 140 hp somehow and to have umbreon in play for long enough, with energies to attack. Oh! And I forgot to mention, most Megas can OHKO you easily...

The best thing (to me) about the card is the first attack. It pairs up greatly with decks that need to discard cards like Flareon/Vespiquen and provides decent draw support.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Such a cute card! I really love the artwork, especially the sparkles around the edge. When we didn't get an Umbreon to match Espeon in XY9, I was wondering if we'd see one in XY10, and I'm glad to see that worked out. Now just to see how awesome (and expensive) the FA version will be...

KoL

Aspiring Trainer
I can't see this card being the death knell to Mega Evolutions as End Game's 70 damage is quite feeble against the army of 200HP+ Mega Evolutions, but the potential ability to take four prize cards in one turn is nothing to sneeze at. The first attack has some potential as well in any deck that benefits from dumping certain cards in the graveyard, while nothing game-changing I'd say Umbreon EX offers enough to make it a good addition to any Dark deck that can find a slot for it.

Brown_Unibrow

Aspiring Trainer
This definitely can't be in it's own deck but it would be fantastic as a tech in dark decks and Vespiquen/Night March. With Darkrai and Espeon coming, Dark decks will rise again...

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
Did someone say, "Night Veil?"
I think Cecil would like a word on misspelling the name of his home town.
welcome-to-nightvale-podcast.jpg

And "End Game?" I'll bet someone entered the dog park.

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
I am just glad that they made this. In expanded I feel it has lots of power, but not all decks run Megas. Maybe this means mega support in this set which was needed. It's first attack is also notable for decks like vespiquen to discard LOTS of pokemon and also get draw support. Makes lots of decks very scary.
oh god...

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Arguably the best mega's right now are Rayquaza and Manetric. While 70 damage isn't all that strong against them, the effect is far too aggressive. We need more skillful cards, not cards like this. Its a welcomed edition since the eeveelutions have been turned into gimmicks. I would like to see more Dark type support cards.

Gasp, more skillful cards?
You mean, like Mega Manectric? A cheap shot card that only needs two energy to dish out massive damage with no drawback?

If only there was some card out there that could steal a win from people playing "Money Cards"...
some sort of counter that can hit Mega Evolutions when their HP is low.

Maybe a dark type of sorts?

Seriously though, it's an EX that can take 4 prizes from weak Megas and keeps them in line.

I don't think it's too aggressive at all, if anything - it's fair and necessary with all this power creeping.

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
I say the card isn't too OP nor too horrible. My guess is this will be like Mega Sceptile. A card people look at one day and the next day its all over the place. I would think you would only need 1-2 in a deck in case one is prized, but the reason is you really only need 2 attacks in the whole game with this. If your opponent plays no Megas then 3 but that is just how Yveltal decks work. I already started working on 2 deck lists one being Yveltal and Darkrai (in expanded and also future darkrai) and the other being a Vespiquen. Those would be the 2 best partners I feel.

Also if its second attack was,"Then, you MAY draw an equal number of cards from your deck". If that was the case this would also go in Archie/Maxie decks.

Last edited:

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
imagine playing two level balls, an ultra ball (discarding two pokemon for that) and using umbreon to discard the three pokemon, then getting a battle compressor from the attack. i dont sleep anyways

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Gasp, more skillful cards?
You mean, like Mega Manectric? A cheap shot card that only needs two energy to dish out massive damage with no drawback?

If only there was some card out there that could steal a win from people playing "Money Cards"...
some sort of counter that can hit Mega Evolutions when their HP is low.

Maybe a dark type of sorts?

Seriously though, it's an EX that can take 4 prizes from weak Megas and keeps them in line.

I don't think it's too aggressive at all, if anything - it's fair and necessary with all this power creeping.

What I mean is Mega in general aren't all that great with the exception of Manectric and Rayquaza. And effect like that punishes other decks that use megas way too hard. If it were anti [L] or [C] Pokemon, then we all could see their potential targets with the effect. There really isn't any reason to keep Megas in check since a lot of them are underwhelming. We also don't know how they'll print any feature megas. I feel this should have either been another effect or target those Pokemon specifically.

Oh, and my comment on more dark support cards, I meant we need anti dark support cards because that type is far too powerful. Colorless Pokemon need a massive buff.