Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

With eco-arm this tool is pretty scary. Plenty of situations where you're stuck taking 6 damage or passing.

Burst Balloon is definitely something to be scared of. Sure it may be dead on the very early turns of the game, but it can always be thrown away to retrieve with Eco-Arm at a later turn.

Yes, Lysandre can get around this. However, most people run only a single copy of Lysandre, and they likely don't want to waste all their Vs. Seekers on Lysandre either.

I almost feel bad for Night March...

A funny way to counter NM and Vespiquen lol! Imagine this on:

• Gengar from BREAKthrough can use this effectively

• A deck that has 2-3 spots and wants to counter NM/Vespiquen

• Chesnaught XY it can give 9 damage counters when attacked

• Any Theta Double Pokemon such as Mega Tyranitar or Entei

• Tool Drop
The tools are getting amazing so I think Startling Megaphone will make a comeback. If it does, people may need to be more careful about when they attach Tools. Quaking Punch should ensure they aren't discarded immediately.

EDIT: I thought about using this on Wobbuffet in a Primal Groudon deck. Your opponent can't Lysandre Primal Groudon and might be forced to use Escape Rope which you can easily just select another Wobbuffet.

There is a heavy focus on effect damage in this set. I almost get the feeling that they want everyone to start packing Fairy Toolbox decks with a few Wonder Energies...

There is a heavy focus on effect damage in this set. I almost get the feeling that they want everyone to start packing Fairy Toolbox decks with a few Wonder Energies...
Wonder Energy doesn't prevent effects from Tools, only attacks so unless I'm missing something, Wonder Energy won't be of much use.

"Low cost decks are on the rise! What do we do?"

"We make sure they can't do anything."

Can definitely see this being played in Entei... if this card does in fact discard itself without being attacked then I can kind of seeing it being a little "meh" but it's worth testing at least.

4x Burst Balloon + 4x Eco Arm + 4x Lord of Wales = :D

If this becomes a thing, everyone's gonna run startling megaphone again, or at least a single "just in case" Xerosic with their vs seekers.

The fact that none of these EX cards will receive a full art counterpart is something I have found to always be quite insulting from my POV as a collector, I mean imagine the gritty look of a Golem EX or the beauty of what a Ninetales EX across would have been. I never really understood the point of having their Full Art chance excluded. It makes me turn into a double edged sword to see old favourites like them receive the nouveau EX formats, but always inevitably poignant in the long run when I realise what more potential they could have had. Let alone the gamers that criticize their gameplay potential.

Another perhaps more better example is the recently out Palkia EX/Golduck Break deck that could have been made a collectors initiative like they had done previously with the Dialga/Aegislash EX deck with inclussion of slipping in a genuinely rare (and beautiful might I add) Full Art variant.

THATS NOT A BALLOON THATS A BOMB

but seriously how could they have that art and say "Yeah nah that's a balloon"

it seems pretty crap that you can have it discarded without your opponent attacking. Hopefully they errata that. They might even have a Gastrodon/Muck/etc. with a Sticky Hold ability that prevents it from being discarded. Hopefully it's Gastrodon.

Wow, I can see this being abused to hell and back with the right cards.

(Then again I'm guilty of that myself - my current Fighting deck I can spam Korrina over multiple turns if I bring out Vs Seeker with it XD)

This card sounds interesting, as it reminds me of a cheap deck I used to play online, when I hardly had many cards to use. It involved developing Feraligatr on the bench while using drudiggon and rocky helmet/rock guard as an attacking wall. Not a very good deck in competitive standards... Then again at the time I knew nothing about those standards in the first place. :/

I found, however, that by enforcing a consequence to attacking, it really challenges your opponent's decision making, and can enforce pressure on opponents as well. I think this item can do this, even if it is just one turn. To attack it, and take 60 damage, or not, and let your opponent develop their strategy, if there was one? Hmm...

Back