Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
This would have been a lot better if it was aimed at Stage 1, 2, and BREAK Pokemon.

Now EX Pokemon have even more pointless acceleration.

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
Dear people who thought cressellia Breakthrough is useless for some reason, this card exists now, to the point where previously ok exs who needed energy acceleration can be even more viable! Oh dear Arceus I just realized what this could mean... T1 gailie ex + same amount of cards in hand, T1 Giratina EX, or....T1 tyrantrum EX, which I honestly think isn't as bad as the other two as you have to discard energy. I know those are a bit of a atrech but in tyrantrum bronzong it could easily happen due to the metal energy you run.

asdjklghty

-------------
This would have been a lot better if it was aimed at Stage 1, 2, and BREAK Pokemon.

Now EX Pokemon have even more pointless acceleration.
All Pokemon evolve from Basics so this helps everyone... early game. I don't see how this is biased towards EXs.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
All Pokemon evolve from Basics so this helps everyone... early game. I don't see how this is biased towards EXs.

EX Pokemon either stay basic the entire game, or mega evolve and gain access to mega turbo acceleration regardless. Basic Pokemon that evolve into useful stage 1, stage 2 or BREAK Pokemon only have access to this Max Elixer while they are in a form that is overall a burden to the strength of stage 2 and break decks. If basic Pokemon overall were better than it would be less of an issue, but basic Pokemon that can evolve tend to be awful, and so you spend your time either accelerating energy to them to not be used until they evolve, leaving them a huge reliability, or just evolving them straight away but losing out of fast, reliable energy accel that they need to keep up with low cost EX attackers and now even higher cost EX attacks thanks to this card.

Maybe Golduck BREAK and Regirock-AT may be useful in allowing Max Elixer to remain helpful for stage 1, stage 2 and BREAK decks along with EX's, since you would need to accelerate the energy onto Regirock since he is completely protected from trainer cards, and then move the energy to the actual attackers once they evolve and become contenders against the ever more powerful EX Pokemon. Golduck BREAK + Regirock-AT is a lot of cards and a lot of clunk that multi-evolution stage decks can't afford to include either.

In short, this card helps EXs significantly more than it helps other basic Pokemon.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
My my... Lots of scary strategies unleashed. Just imagine: Speed Lucario-EX. Speed Camerupt-EX. Speed Thundurus-EX. Speed Machamp-EX. Speed Yveltal-EX. Speed... You get what I'm saying? Why did they make this card?!

Purrloin

I was excited, until I read "Basic Pokemon". Ouch. That's just depressing.

To those saying that all stages are once basic too, that's true, but how long do you want a little 50 HP basic sitting around waiting for some acceleration? I personally try to evolve asap.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
For standard basic attackers, I think a Raiku BTH could do some damage with this card. Also, Regice could benefit from this card. Being able to attack with a Regice on turn 2 would be huge. It would send a lot of decks scrambling quickly.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
quad heatmor is going to be a thing now. Seem like a viable deck in expanded now with this card.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
*facepalm*

Just when stage 1 and stage 2s start getting better, they make potentially broken energy acceleration for basics only. Didn't they learn anything from prism energy?

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Item-based burst acceleration for big basics... this isn't something I'm thrilled to see. Stupidly powerful.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
Why would they do this... I thought that they were going toward evolutions with the breaks and what not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release some sort of ball that grab pokemon with 170 hp or more for free.

Purrloin

At this rate, there better be a tool that gives Stage 2's a 500 HP boost, because that's the only way they'll ever compete.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Here we go, the grave for all the creative decks who don't use the same old boring EX's is ready.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Well, Entei AT says thankyou... if basic EXs didn't outclass it in the first place. >_>

Cue Startling Megaphone/Tool Scrapper reprint.

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Why would you not run this? The only reason I can think of for a card like this to exist is that they intend on (as mentioned) making things like this for BREAKs and Megas too. Personally, I think those two need a card like this way more than basics do as the biggest advantage of Pokemon-EX is they don't have to evolve.