Contest June's Create A Card: Fully Evolved Basics! (Official Results!)

Deleted the post with the previous image, realized I missed a few details out at the bottom of the image.
Also tried every other recommendation for getting 'é' into 'Pokémon' however the editing software I am using does not allow me to even copy+paste it into the image, so this is gonna have to do, thanks to everyone who tried to help though ^_^

Just so you are aware, deleting your original entry and reposting an edited card does count as "posting your entry again" for the purposes of a 2-point deduction for the official judging, as per the rules in the original post. In the future, you may wish to make sure your card is fully complete before you post it up. After all, you have several weeks to post your finished card, so there's no rush. Something to keep in mind for the next contest. :) In the meantime, I have updated the link to your entry in the sign-up post.

Read it again...

I think the confusion comes from the phrasing of the clause "put 20 damage in your opponent’s Active Pokémon". Unless if there are changes in current wording that I'm unaware of, normally you "put X damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon", or you "do X Damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon".

Even I re-read the attack as my brain seemed to insert "counters" in there the first time, when the word actually isn't there at all.

So yeah, there's no power trick shenanigans here, a more modest 20 damage. The attack name gave me a slight chuckle (shuckle?/badpun), though.

@NintendoAlian @Reggie McGigas @Scorched Feathers @Vom @thegrovylekid @Rhesis @grantm1999 @GadgetJax @rainyman123 @SeventhPrize @Gengar master @Supa_Hot_Fire @RedHatTrick @Jolanna Ivey @GM DracLord @TheMaskedMeowth @Cheeriox @Celever @Ms Hugo @Luispipe8

Important Text-Based Rule Clarification!

You may or may have not noticed that the wording rules for text-based fakes have been slightly updated for this contest. We are now requiring all text-based fakers to post their text fakes in a specific format. This format roughly matches the format of the winners posted in the update. A full listing of the required format is listed in the contest rules post here, specifically under the section for "Text-Based Judging" in the "Wording" category.

Some of you have already noticed this wording requirement and have posted your cards according to the specifications. Great! :D If this applies to you, then good job reading, I'm sorry for unintentionally alerting you to this post, and you can go about your day.

If you are one of the people who did not notice this change (such as may be the case for recurring entrants), I apologize that it was not made more obvious and clear that such a rule change has been made.

If you have already submitted your text-based card before the date and time of this post, you will be allowed to resubmit your card to conform to the required formatting. This resubmitted card must be posted in a new post, and it must have no other changes made to the card aside from changes strictly necessary to fit into the new formatting.

Cards that do not follow the formatting restrictions will receive a point penalty in the judging phase of the contest.

Coloured-text formatting (such as for energy costs) and Pokémon images/sprites in the place for card artwork are still allowed, so long as the formatting rules specified in the rules post are all followed.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Also, ALL SPOTS ARE NOW FULL! Those who have not had a chance to enter for this month's contest are welcome to watch the thread for any drop-outs, otherwise we'll see you next month. :)

Luvdisc – Water – HP70
Basic

Ability: Love Letter
Once during either player's turn, when a Pokémon is Knocked Out, each player may search his or her deck for a card, reveal it to his or her opponent, and put it into his or her hand. Each player shuffles his or her deck afterward. Discard this Pokémon. You cannot use more than one Love Letter ability per turn.

[W] Water Show: 10 damage. Draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Luvdisc’s heart-shaped body is a symbol of love and romance. It is said that any couple meeting this Pokémon is promised a loving relationship that never ends.

I think the confusion comes from the phrasing of the clause "put 20 damage in your opponent’s Active Pokémon". Unless if there are changes in current wording that I'm unaware of, normally you "put X damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon", or you "do X Damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon".

Even I re-read the attack as my brain seemed to insert "counters" in there the first time, when the word actually isn't there at all.

So yeah, there's no power trick shenanigans here, a more modest 20 damage. The attack name gave me a slight chuckle (shuckle?/badpun), though.
Well:

The fact is that i wanted to write DAMAGE against COUNTERS, because Counters can't be blocked, but damage yes (for example Hard Charm blocks damage, but not counters, other example would be Wobb Ability but in this case doesn't affect to the Bench). In this way, is more balanced i believe.

Shuckle– Fighting – HP70
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Shellf-defense
Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon if that damage is 70 or more.

[F] Wrap 10: The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.

[F][C] Shack a Mole. Whenever your opponent plays a Item card from his or her hand during his or her next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that card has no effect, put 20 damage in your opponent’s Active Pokémon. (Your opponent still discards that card.)

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: None

Now that I've done that....

Dedenne - Lightning - HP: 70
Basic
702.gif

Ability: Chain Lightning
As long as Dedenne is your active Pokémon, each of this Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage to your opponent's active Pokémon for each [L] Pokémon on your bench.

[L] Nuzzle 10
Flip a coin. If heads, the defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
[F] x2
Resistance: [M] - 20

Well:

The fact is that i wanted to write DAMAGE against COUNTERS, because Counters can't be blocked, but damage yes (for example Hard Charm blocks damage, but not counters, other example would be Wobb Ability but in this case doesn't affect to the Bench). In this way, is more balanced i believe.
I think I muddled up the meaning of my last line with jokes. Sorry. I figured you meant damage, since that would make more sense.
I was just reasoning why rainyman123 seemed convinced on it referring to counters.

Anyway, I think this should clear up the misunderstanding rainyman123 had - if he/she reads our posts that is.

Heracross - Grass - HP: 100

Basic

Ability: Swarm
All of your Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX) do 20 more damage to your opponent’s active Pokémon.

[G][G] Rescue Horn 60

Shuffle 5 in any combination of Pokémon and basic Energy from your discard pile to your deck.

Weakness: Fire

Resistance:

Retreat: 2

Why is there a required format? Seems pretty boring to me.

The idea behind it is to set a standard for all text-fakers to follow, which would ease on judging and also help new text-fakers know what information they need to put so that things are less confusing for everyone.

It is, however, unfortunate that this change was not communicated clearly within the Staff, and therefore it was also not called attention to to the entrants as well, which is why we are allowing submissions for those who posted early that might have missed it.

We're still trying to decide if this is a thing we want to keep for future contests or not. For now, consider it an experiment for this month and feel free to share your opinions.

I don't like the idea of forcing everyone to use the same format. It's useful for new fakers who don't know exactly want to include, but that template in and of itself doesn't really make sense to me.
Thena said:
  • Pokemon – Type – HP50
  • Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokemon
  • Ability:
  • [R][C] Attack: 20 damage.
  • Weakness: Fire (x2)
  • Resistance: Psychic
  • Retreat: 3
So do we still type "Weakness: [F] x2" or do we now have to type "Weakness: Fire (x2)"?
In the Attack, when before we would do:
"[energy cost(s)] [name of attack] [x] (the x is a number stating how much damage it does)
[description]"
Do we now have to type: "[energy costs] Attack: [x damage]"? And where does the description go, below, like normal?

Where do you put things like the Delta mechanic?
Where do you put the Pokémon's PokéDex info? Height, Weight, species classification etc.?
I'ts pretty unclear how much you have to stick to the template, and the template doesn't seem finished.
Also before, we would type "Retreat [C] [C] [C]". Do we now have to type "Retreat: 3"?

The format is fairly easy to follow. Yes, it is probably different from how you've designed your cards in the past. If you would like to see examples of how things should look when they're formatted, you can reference the winners post.

New mechanics should be placed roughly in line with their appearance on a card. So, for example, the AT mechanics are generally below the top line information but above the ability/attacks of the card, so it would go between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Since 'dex info is kind of fluff material and will not be a part of the card that is put into the winner's post, it should at the end if you want to include it, though such inclusion is optional and will not accept your score unless the information you give is wrong, like listing a Pikachu as being 20 feet tall.

The format is a little wonky because it was made by someone who is not a faker. For now, we're rolling with it. If we do decide to keep a standard format for the following contests, it will likely be updated with input from the CaC staff and judges to make it more fitting to what our text fakers are used to.

• Pokemon – Type – HP50 (Why is there no space between HP and 50)?
  • Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokemon (Stage 1 should be next to Pokemon)
  • Ability:
  • (I'm going to assume ability text goes here)
  • [R][C] Attack: 20 damage. (This is the part that bugs me. Why is there a colen? Why is "damage" included?
  • Weakness: Fire (x2) (Why is there parenthesis around the x2?)
  • Resistance: Psychic
  • Retreat: 3 (Why not [C][C][C]? Next thing you know, for an attack the attack cost will be "2")
Other notes: Can this be centered? Can I make text larger or smaller?

These are my critiques. No offense, but I think that a set outline can help newer players but conforms players to a single, confusing, and dull-looking outline. Here's what I would do.

• Stage 1 - Pokemon – Type – HP 50​
  • Evolves from Pokemon​
  • Ability: Abilityname/[Ability] Abilityname​
  • Abilityeffects go here​
  • [R][C] Attackname 20​
  • Attack effects go here​
  • Weakness: Fire (x2)​
  • Resistance: Psychic​
  • Retreat: [C][C]​
This looks much more cleaned up and nicer-looking. That's my two cents.​

Pokemon TCG FA_Shuckle-EX_Grass.png

Given the leaked stadium card, Ancient Origins might feature more stuff for grass type cards, and with the LTC ban mill-decks might make a comeback, both of which inspired this card. Third inspiration were other small Pokemon EX like Mew, Shaymin, Victini, etc. which have interesting effects and abilities that make them very good in at least some decks, despite not having large attacks or health pools.

Back