Contest June's Create A Card: Fully Evolved Basics! (Official Results!)

We know you don't like it, but imagine the headache the judge gets when 20 people each create a card using a different template. I don't like it either, but we may have to live with it. This Seismitoad-EX. Nobody likes it, but it's there, and it's something to keep in your mind.

@Reggie McGigas, I understand your discontent, and if my words can't keep you doing amazing work in text-based, then good luck to you in image based, and Create-A-Card will have truly lost a great competitor.

bbninja's Psyduck – Water – HP60
Basic
tumblr_mpu36tWRzc1r6wywso1_500.jpg

[W] Headache: Your opponent can't play any Create-a-Card entries from his or her brain during his or her next turn.
[P] Disable: 10 damage. Choose 1 of your opponent's arguments. That opponent can't use that argument during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: 1

-----
Don't let me use my Headache attack on you :O

Disclaimer: Not a CaC entry (cause I'm a judge :U) and just a fun little joke :p

Last edited:
A question: Will there be a judge-votation for May's contest?

Yes! :D We are currently planning on having the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place judges winners for both categories posted on the front page along with the start of July's contest, with detailed critiques coming later when they are completed.

Yes, I did; I'm a derp sometimes. >.> I got confused because the front part of this thread title is May so I thought we were still in May.

@Rhesis: @Heavenly Spoon was our Judge for both text-based and image-based in May. Although his results were not formally made the winners for last month's competition due to some communication errors, you can PM him if you'd like to get your judging results for that month, which is a great way to get feedback. However, these results will not be posted publicly, so you must PM if you would like to see them.

Yes, I did; I'm a derp sometimes. >.> I got confused because the front part of this thread title is May so I thought we were still in May.

@Rhesis: @Heavenly Spoon was our Judge for both text-based and image-based in May. Although his results were not formally made the winners for last month's competition due to some communication errors, you can PM him if you'd like to get your judging results for that month, which is a great way to get feedback. However, these results will not be posted publicly, so you must PM if you would like to see them.
Don't worry, I thought something was wrong because I read your answer and May didn't appear anywhere jeje. I understood it like in June would be June Winners and May (Judges) Winners. But now I understand all jeje, thanks @kachitta @Athena :). I will PM to @Heavenly Spoon ;)

So in June won't be Fan Votation? Or will be both (fan and judge).

I will turn the winning text-based entry into an actual card, providing it actually fits on a card.

We do fan votes every month, but usually the fan votes don't actually get you a Front Page post or a Badge or anything, they're just for fun. :) May was a special case wherein the fan vote winners were used in place of the Judge's winners, but this hopefully won't be happening again.

We do fan votes every month, but usually the fan votes don't actually get you a Front Page post or a Badge or anything, they're just for fun. :) May was a special case wherein the fan vote winners were used in place of the Judge's winners, but this hopefully won't be happening again.
Ok ok. Then, thanks again :)

Yes, you will. :) The results of the May contest have been passed onto the Badge team and they're working on getting those awarded to everyone who qualified.

Here's my entry:

hkAn96U.png

A bit of explanation:
I really like Tropius - the overall design of a leaf dinosaur that creates fruit is just a concept I find very interesting.
I've tried to use it in playthroughs of ORAS, to little success; it has a kind of boring moveset without Egg moves/tutors, in my opinion. In the TCG, it's never been very good either, to my knowledge. With my entry, I've tried to create a memorable card for Tropius that would see decent play.
Nutritional Harvest uses a sort of new mechanic with Berries, like the Harvest Ability in the games. I was debating a while about whether to include the coin flip, but in the end, I decided that this way it was more accurate to the ingame Harvest.
Strong Winds is also a Poké-Power by the name of Dark Palm on an old Dusknoir (I don't remember which), but I think that wind is better flavor-wise than ghosts. 80 base power for 2 Energy is a little high, but I don't think it's as bad as a few other EX's in format I could mention.
Aesthetically, I must first and foremost credit BigfootAUS for his fantastic Tropius model, which is far beyond my artistic capacity to create. The effects on the card are all made with the default Photoshop brushes in CS2, with a few filters. I'll also credit Aschefield101 here for the blank, since one of the effects sort of goes over his copyright mark.
The name and "Basic" bar on the top normally wouldn't go over the effects and Pokémon like it does in my card, but I like it better this way. Hopefully that won't count against me.

I did make 4 potential Berries with which Tropius would be used, but I don't want to post them here lest they be misread as part of the entry (I guess technically they are, but I don't want them to be judged as such). They'll be in my fake cards thread if anyone wishes to view them.

Is it too late for imaged based?

Unfortunately, all spots are already full. However, you can continue to watch the thread in case someone drops out, which does occasionally happen. :) If all else fails, check back next month!

absolfasized_zpsbhkaz0hl.png

Absol is probably the coolest Pokemon to make cards for on that list. There's just something about this omen bringer that makes it great Pokemon to make cards for.

This card is largely inspired by the Elemental Incarnations from Magic: the Gathering. I made the shuffle effect an Ancient Trait because it's something I could see going on many Pokemon. Phi was chosen as the letter because it's the Golden Ratio, which I related to Ho-Oh and made it gold and pretty, much unlike phi in magic where it's very dark :p. The "Only 1 phi Revival each turn" was put in to keep deckout viable against this Trait otherwise it'd cycle infinitely.

The power is inspired by scry effects, Smeargle, Black as a colour in general and all that funky jazz. I thought it'd be cool to have Absol act more as the omen bringer because it's never really been that, instead it's very notable for dropping damage counters on Basic Pokemon.

I dunno about the attack, I felt like having some sort of answer to stuff like Crushing Hammer, Hypnotoxic Laser, etc. but it's noting too special. 20 damage because 10 is too little for a Pokemon that doesn't evolve and 30 is very good for the low attack cost and strong effect.

I'm going to have to drop for image as I will not have the resources to make the card until after the due date. Hopefully next month.

Back